(Topic ID: 235676)

Judge Dredd crane cam reproduction part #03-8998 interest?

By Big70

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Big70
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

710x528_8186905_6202205_1534467177 (resized).jpg
JD Crane Cam installed (resized).JPG
JD Crane Cam (resized).JPG

#1 5 years ago

A buddy bought another Judge Dredd and came to me to help fix some nagging issues with the dead world mod. It had a lot of worn parts in that dead world section, including a broken out crane cam at the set screw insert. Since these are unobtainable, I mentioned we might be able to epoxy the broken set screw area, but had one other long shot thought. I wondered if it could possibly be 3D printed. I have another buddy that does a lot with 3D printing for a large computer company and I had finally gotten him to come to TPF last year. So I ran this issue by him, took him the original part and he started taking measurements. That evening he had a nice rendering on the PC and within a day or two was printing out some tests. There were some kinks to work out, but in the end, he was able to 3D print a really good representation of what I brought him. We did not have the brass insert for the set screw, but instead had it threaded into the plastic. I was concerned if that would even work without breaking. Last week I installed it on my buddy's Judge Dredd and was able to tighten it nice and tight. So far it's holding up fantastic.

His job does require some intermittent travel all over the nation, but after some thought, he gave me the go ahead to post and see if there'd be any interest in more of these. He said he'd make more for $35, which includes shipping. So, I'm gauging interest. Please let me know if this is something you'd be interested in.

-Brandon Haney

JD Crane Cam (resized).JPGJD Crane Cam (resized).JPG
#2 5 years ago
JD Crane Cam installed (resized).JPGJD Crane Cam installed (resized).JPG
#3 5 years ago

If it works I would be interested in one.

#4 5 years ago

I posted in the JD owners thread, but I would probably grab one as a spare.

#5 5 years ago

I'd probably take one.

#6 5 years ago

Sounds good. I’ll tell him to get some going.

#7 5 years ago

I'd love the .stl file so i could print my own!

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

Yeah I’m not sure why the $35 just share the file with the community...

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

Not my file to share, nor my expertise.

Quoted from tacshose:

Yeah I’m not sure why the $35 just share the file with the community...

James spent a fair amount of time working on this & tweaking everything. Oddly the positions of the tapered sections & screw hole would change positions during prints. The diameter of the holes changed too as it cooled. He made several of them before getting it right. He’s a good family friend & I still wanted to pay him. $30 plus shipping is what the old part used to cost when you could still get it & I, as well as the owner of the JD, were happy to pay it to get JD running again. James asked if others might need this & if he could maybe make a few bucks in the process. Can’t blame the guy for wanting to be compensated for the effort.

If you’ve already got a 3d printer, get a caliper, start measuring your old one & make a file. Print it, tweak it until it’s right & you’re welcome to share it with the world.

#10 5 years ago

PinBits was $30 but they weren’t the only retailer with the cam. Marco had cams in stock more recently than PinBits and they weren’t $30. I believe they were around $18 plus shipping. $35 is in my opinion a lot for it but being nobody has any the market is in a corner on price.
I got one years ago from https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/parts-by-machine/bally-parts/judge-dredd/03-8998.html

#11 5 years ago

It's nice to see community created parts.

Another suggestion to your buddy might be to just release the STL and documentation/parts for free and suggest/take "donations" via paypal. Not everyone may have the same price in mind for a part they may or may not use.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

PinBits was $30 but they weren’t the only retailer with the cam. Marco had cams in stock more recently than PinBits and they weren’t $30. I believe they were around $18 plus shipping. $35 is in my opinion a lot for it but being nobody has any the market is in a corner on price.

Fair enough. I simply knew the last one I was able to find & buy was for $30 plus shipping, so I happily offered $35. My buddy’s JD was down for months while looking for a replacement cam.

Let’s face it, unless you’ve got the Dead World Mod, this part isn’t used or needed. I’m sure that’s why it’s not remade & in stock any place.

With 6990 JD made, maybe we can convince all those not using to Dead World to remove their cams & offer them to the community.

Quoted from Boat:

It's nice to see community created parts.
Another suggestion to your buddy might be to just release the STL and documentation/parts for free and suggest/take "donations" via paypal. Not everyone may have the same price in mind for a part they may or may not use.

This is also true. I did mention to him folks asking for the file & maybe doing something like that. Mentioned it to him again & he’s going to think on it.

#13 5 years ago

First off great job resurrecting a defunct part. I understand where people are coming from, but he shouldn't have to give it away for free. People charge all the time for 3D printed mods should those files be given away too? Maybe consider selling the part through shapeways or something similar that allows the user to specify the type of material. It would be cool to print these out of metal ! A few people on here distribute their parts in that manner.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

First off great job resurrecting a defunct part. I understand where people are coming from, but he shouldn't have to give it away for free. People charge all the time for 3D printed mods should those files be given away too? Maybe consider selling the part through shapeways or something similar that allows the user to specify the type of material. It would be cool to print these out of metal ! A few people on here distribute their parts in that manner.

Appreciate the info. First I’ve heard of that. I’ll pass this along to him as well.

#15 5 years ago

I remember someone about ten years ago making them out of aluminum, pricey but you didn't have to worry about the set screw getting stripped or the piece cracking. Whatever happened with that supplier?

John

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I remember someone about ten years ago making them out of aluminum, pricey but you didn't have to worry about the set screw getting stripped or the piece cracking. Whatever happened with that supplier?
John

I believe you’re thinking of the opto interrupter for the Theatre of Magic trunk. There is a somewhat similar looking interrupter on the planet motor.

To the best of my knowledge, the crane cam has never been reproduced. That makes sense too since it’s unused & not needed, unless you’re running the Dead World mod.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Big70:

I believe you’re thinking of the opto interrupter for the Theatre of Magic trunk. There is a somewhat similar looking interrupter on the planet motor.
To the best of my knowledge, the crane cam has never been reproduced. That makes sense too since it’s unused & not needed, unless you’re running the Dead World mod.

Hmm.....you could be right, it was a long time ago. After this many years in the hobby I think I've forgotten more then I know at this point. Anyways, thanks for keeping the JD's in the world running.

John

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Hmm.....you could be right, it was a long time ago. After this many years in the hobby I think I've forgotten more then I know at this point. Anyways, thanks for keeping the JD's in the world running.
John

I feel the same way sometimes John. Just glad there’s technology out there & smart folks to use it that can make some wishes like this come true.

#19 5 years ago

I’d buy one. I hate having unobtainium parts.

#20 5 years ago

good on you for doing a repro part, as some one mentioned about shapeways, there is a groing selection of parts available there. Here is a search of "pinball" tagged parts
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinks&sort=newest

here are some of the repro parts that I have done to save some of those classics.
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinksrepro&sort=newest

the Shapeways nylon is laser sintered and strong and tapped threads works well and solid filled and not partial filled.

Even if you friend sells there, get him to add to Shapeways as he earns a small commission and people can find them in the future and who ever uploads can select the materials and colours.

Also a comment on the sharing of files, some files I give away and most I don't as there is at times alot of trial and error, reprints, testing which takes alot of time, so just share to Shapeways and people can purchase if they want or need the part.

#21 5 years ago

here is a cam I did to help a mate for TZ / BOP

and works out to be around the $35, so a fair price, custom colour and solid nylon
https://www.shapeways.com/product/E2ES3LJ4Z/pinball-drive-wheel-03-8476-tz-bop?optionId=55148176&li=marketplace

710x528_8186905_6202205_1534467177 (resized).jpg710x528_8186905_6202205_1534467177 (resized).jpg
#22 5 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

here is a cam I did to help a mate for TZ / BOP
and works out to be around the $35, so a fair price, custom colour and solid nylon
https://www.shapeways.com/product/E2ES3LJ4Z/pinball-drive-wheel-03-8476-tz-bop?optionId=55148176&li=marketplace
[quoted image]

Looks great, good work. I have mentioned Shapeways and he already knew about it. He's got other non pinball items that he's been looking at putting on there. So I guess at this point, he's in the stage of trying to figure out which way to go and getting it all setup. I appreciate the insight on tagging it under pinball though. I'll pass this all long.

#23 5 years ago

In a hobby where people drive 400 miles and pay thousands of dollars to pick up a pinball machine, or god know how much $$ on terrible colored LED GIs and dumb mods, it only makes sense to try to haggle for a free CAD file of an unobtainable but essential part...

#24 5 years ago

I never said free, and I never haggled. I just want the .stl file so I can print it myself. I have no problem paying a fair price for the file.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

I never said free, and I never haggled. I just want the .stl file so I can print it myself. I have no problem paying a fair price for the file.

You weren’t the only person talking about it. But nvm it’s none of my business.

3 weeks later
#26 5 years ago

I am interested in one. Let me know when and where I can send the money to.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Big70:

Looks great, good work. I have mentioned Shapeways and he already knew about it. He's got other non pinball items that he's been looking at putting on there. So I guess at this point, he's in the stage of trying to figure out which way to go and getting it all setup. I appreciate the insight on tagging it under pinball though. I'll pass this all long.

I say sell the file to people with accsess to a 3D printer. Many times I find myself paying almost as much in shipping as the parts themselves. It would be nice to avoid that once in awhile.
If you dont have a 3D printer pay the 30 dollars. Fair price I think. Takes a long time to 3D print something.

#28 5 years ago

I use to share files or charge a small fee and people would promise not to on sell or put up at places like Shapeways etc but on 2 occasions this happened so I get why some people don't want to share and I am reluctant to share files now

also if people have a 3d printer, alot can be gained from those people designing the part and printing out there own part - great satisfaction in achieving and building your own skills

8 months later
#29 4 years ago

Any update on this? If he isn't selling them it would be a shame to waste the work. I'd be interested in the file.

10 months later
#30 3 years ago

It's a shame this went to waste. I still need this part.

4 months later
#31 3 years ago

Revisited this thread on a whim. Thought his shape ways had been posted. Here’s where he sells the crane cam:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/BCQJMYLJ6/cranecamdisc-v6

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus
(Alt) Translites
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-crane-cam-reproduction-part-03-8998-interest and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.