Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

popeye-110.jpg

#1 6 years ago

My JD occasionally reports "check trough switch x". Usually it's switch 1-3, but sometimes others. I've replaced the trough opto boards with new repros from Great Lakes, but the problem is still there. Everything seems to work just fine, and the error comes up only once in a while and is easily reset by "touching" the switches in test mode. In test mode, all the trough switches seem to work perfectly without a glitch all the time, even when I stress the connectors a bit or tilt the game.

Another strange thing is, that when the error comes up, it usually reports error on two or three of the switches at the same time. So it's not very likely that the optos are the problem?

I haven't been able to find a way to reproduce the problem, but I have an idea that this happens mostly when one ore more balls are locked in the planet ring when the game is turned off and then turned back on at a later time. I have the Deadworld mod from Pinbits.

This isn't really a big problem, but it's bugging me a bit, as the game otherwise works very nicely.

One theory I have is that the 12V is a bit on the weak side, and that the voltage in given situations drops enough for the trough optos to be disrupted? But wouldn't the game then report errors on all trough switches? When first powering on the game, and the planet starts spinning searching for the ball, I've noticed that it starts up slowly for a couple of seconds and then speeds up to normal speed. Does the 12V circuit need to "warm up" like this if it's about to go bad?

I never get errors from other switches, but that could be because all the other opto switches are normally open?

How do I attack this problem in the best way?

Anyone?

#2 6 years ago

I have the deadworld mod as well but havent experienced this problem as yet. I have heard that a trough problem can arise from magneticism in the trough itself. My machine has had the opto's replaced recently and i have one of those trough "Sleeve" plastics in place.

#3 6 years ago

I also have the plastic sleeve in the trough, and as mentioned brand new opto boards from GLM.

Read voltages at the test points: Roughly 15v at TP1, 12.1v at TP3, 5.01v at TP2. TP1 drops to around 14.8v when the planet runs in test mode, but should still be plenty. Seems all fine to me.

#4 6 years ago

Same problem here with the glm boards.

#5 6 years ago

Had the same problem with the original boards, that's why I got the GLM boards... So the problem obviously lies somewhere else. The weird thing is, that I'm totally unable to make the trough optos glitch or flicker or anything. And when the error comes up, everything's still working tip top.

And I don't have any other issues with the game either, all switches and everything's working like a charm as far as I can tell.

Tempting to think that it's a bug in the deadworld mod software, but I can't remember if had these problems before installing the mod. And I'm not planning to revert it just to see if the problem goes away.

#6 6 years ago

I took the deadworld off mine and still have the same problem.

2 weeks later
#7 6 years ago

This may not be what you are seeing but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

You will get a check trough switch credit dot if you don't get a 6 ball multiball going for a certain number of games. The last opto in the trough never gets opened so the system thinks there is a problem. If I play a super game and get the 6 ball multiball going it goes away instantly.

Like I said, may not be your problem and you may already know about it but it's worth a shot.

#8 6 years ago

Once you get the credit dot, does it eventually go away by itself?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

You will get a check trough switch credit dot if you don't get a 6 ball multiball going for a certain number of games. The last opto in the trough never gets opened so the system thinks there is a problem. If I play a super game and get the 6 ball multiball going it goes away instantly.
Like I said, may not be your problem and you may already know about it but it's worth a shot.

This is the same issue with mine,
But no one can say %100 if this is normal for the game or a problem with it

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-opto-trough-issue-86

2 weeks later
#10 6 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

I will have to try this.

#11 6 years ago

I had crazy stuff until I got the boards from GLM. Now it plays well but once in a while I get a trough error also but usually it's just one, not multiple switch errors. . Not sure why and I haven't had it in awhile. It annoys me but I can't figure it out. I wrote GLM and he told me it's often the wires on the board. He told me to put it in switch test and move the wires to see if it caused the switch to trip.

#12 6 years ago

Hey Fleskebacon, I had the exact same problem. I have the dead world mod and GLM boards. The cause of the problem is posted over at the pinbits site down where it says Trouble shooting.

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=136

On my machine, If I had a ball locked in the ring and shot up the left ramp, sometimes the first opto on the ramp would not trigger and that would start the problem on my machine. Basically the game loses track of a ball and thinks a trough opto or two is not working. Try playing a whole super game and see if that clears the credit dot before you go into test mod and check the switches. If it does, I bet one of your ramp optos or the crane drop opto is not working right. Try cleaning them. I went around in circles with this one for a bit and finally figured it out. Good luck!

#13 6 years ago

Thanks Gotpins, will definately check this out. This seems to be spot on for my problem, as I suspect it has something to do with the game losing track of a ball or two.

#14 6 years ago

I've got the same issue. Went away after triggering them manually in test mode, then the errors showed up again after a few more games.

Just got the deadworld mod today but haven't installed it yet. Doesn't have the plastic protector in it.

I'm leaning towards believing the idea that you get the errors if you haven't triggered a six ball multiball. I haven't actually played a super game yet. What makes it more believable is that these errors weren't there when I picked up the game earlier this week. The couple that I bought it from knew nothing about fixing pins, and had never seen the playfield raised (and didn't know there were menu options).

#15 6 years ago

the dead world mod from pinbits comes with the plastic insert, had to dremal out PF to allow balls to drop in the trough, I sold my JD on, I could not fix this issue with all the info i dug up seems pretty common complaint, one thing you can try while in switch test mode slightly bang on the PF to see if any errors come up.

#16 6 years ago

Played one super game. Turned machine off. Turned it back on. No trough errors. So yeah, it expects you to play the super game once in a while.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Played one super game. Turned machine off. Turned it back on. No trough errors. So yeah, it expects you to play the super game once in a while.

Mine displays this exact same behavior, I am starting to enjoy playing the super-games more because of it so I think it is a good fault er I mean feature

2 weeks later
#18 6 years ago

Super Game is really underrated IMO. More strategy than you think and the multiball "modes" are all pretty varied.

#19 6 years ago

^^^ Agreed, played three straight hours of super game only this weekend and had a blast.

3 months later
#20 6 years ago

Crazy, never ending multiball on mine until I got the GLM boards. Cleared that up but I ovcasionalky get trough errors. Not sure why. I don't have the dead world mod because of this. I emailed GLM and they said that sometimes it's the connector to the new opto boards. I'd wiggle the connector in switch mode and sometimes it would flicker. I haven't replaced the connector yet to seeif this permantly fixes it.

2 months later
#21 5 years ago

I know about this problem. I would say for sure it is not your dead world mod. No worries there. I have a Popeye widebody pin same era. I get exactly the same error you all are speaking of. I have taken all balls out and loaded them back in with power on. Error goes away. Works fine for a months. No error. Does come back, though.

popeye-110.jpg
2 years later
#22 3 years ago

anybody figure this out.

6 months later
#23 2 years ago

I have a Judge Dredd that is loading 2 balls instead of 1 on single game start-up if i have all 6 balls loaded, it shows Switch 81 Trough 6 error message on boot, i replaced original opto board with one from rottendog..still have same issue..game plays fine with 5 balls loaded, but multiballs keep running until last ball drains, because its not playing with 6, only 5..any suggestions..sorry to jump on and start an old thread back up, any help would be appreciated!

2 years later
#24 8 months ago

who sells these ball trough boards?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Creo Pinball
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside