(Topic ID: 147782)

Judge Dredd blowing J116 fuse after 10 minutes??

By JediPimp

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by JediPimp
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi everyone,

Interesting problem that just came up yesterday. I leave Judge Dredd on for about 10 minutes and after about 10 minutes the DMD goes blank, and I hear the flipper coils firing. I open up the backboard and yes Fuse J116 has blown. I change the fuse and its ok for a bit but then the same problem happens again. Ive had this happen while it is idle and also during the game. This is the first time this particular error has come up.

Usually the same things happen:

- DMD goes blank (i have colour DMD)
- Music still plays
- play field lights and GI remain on
- buttons do not work

I just recently gave it a cleaning and raised the height of my crane. I don't really know what could be causing it. Any ideas???

If anyone is asking i am using the L1AT ROM with the Deadword Mod and a Color DMD as main mods.

Cheers,

- Michael

#2 8 years ago

What do you have the BACKLIGHT setting at on the ColorDMD? Turning it down will reduce the current draw from the 12V supply.

#3 8 years ago

Sorry obviously I meant Fuse F116 not J116.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

What do you have the BACKLIGHT setting at on the ColorDMD? Turning it down will reduce the current draw from the 12V supply.

I believe the backlight is on the medium setting. Ive had the Color DMD for over a year and it has not been a problem. The Color DMD settings have not changed since they introduced the version 3 shading features last year.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

I believe the backlight is on the medium setting. Ive had the Color DMD for over a year and it has not been a problem. The Color DMD settings have not changed since they introduced the version 3 shading features last year.

On all the wide bodies and shadow I recommend a separate power supply with running colorDMD. He gave you good advice above. Rather than debate it give it a try and report back. If that solves it, I would put a larger fuse in. The job of the fuse is to protect the circuit due to a short. If you know the constant drain is slightly more then just up the fuse.

#6 8 years ago

Since you didn't have a problem before cleaning and adjusting the crane, it's possible you introduced a short on one of the motors. Try running through the motor tests in the game menus and see if activating one blows the fuse.

For that matter, you should also run through the solenoid and lamp tests to make sure one of them isn't shorting into the 12V.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

On all the wide bodies and Shadow I recommend a separate power supply with running colorDMD. He gave you good advice above. Rather than debate it give it a try and report back. If that solves it, I would put a larger fuse in. The job of the fuse is to protect the circuit due to a short. If you know the constant drain is slightly more then just up the fuse.

Overfusing is not generally a good idea. The fuse is supposed to be the weak link that breaks down in order to protect other components. It's better to look for the root cause.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

On all the wide bodies and Shadow I recommend a separate power supply with running colorDMD. He gave you good advice above. Rather than debate it give it a try and report back. If that solves it, I would put a larger fuse in. The job of the fuse is to protect the circuit due to a short. If you know the constant drain is slightly more then just up the fuse.

oh no i appreciate the help. I will try to reduce the backlight though and see what happens. Right now I do have a 4A fuse in F116 instead of a 3A due to some extra LED strings I have added in. As I said I've had this same setup for a year and this error has not happened until yesterday. Worth a shot though.

How do you put in a separate power supply for Color DMD?

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Since you didn't have a problem before cleaning and adjusting the crane, it's possible you introduced a short on one of the motors. Try running through the motor tests in the game menus and see if activating one blows the fuse.

Ill check the motor tests. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the culprit

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Overfusing is not generally a good idea. The fuse is supposed to be the weak link that breaks down in order to protect other components. It's better to look for the root cause.

Normally I would agree but I have piggy-backed a few LED mods onto the 12v power supply's so the extra 1A on the fuse does help. I haven't had any serious mishaps occur and even my pinball tech guy says its ok.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Just curious why do you recommend a separate power supply with widebodys and shadow only for Color DMD?

#12 8 years ago

Generally the fuse is designed to protect wiring and traces from melting much like the breakers protect the wiring in your walls, but if you truly needed that extra amp for your 12v power supply you may be overloading it and it may burn up before its life cycle, overfusing is terrible advice. Check your crane again like color dmd said.

#13 8 years ago

Do you have other stuff piggy backed on the 12v backbox connectors J116 J117 J118?

#14 8 years ago

I think you also have the long led strip under the games cabinet from JudgeDreads. I too have that but had to disconnect it when I added the ColorDMD. To much draw on the 12v. I had the exact same symptoms as you in your first post.

#15 8 years ago

I would sooner add a separate power supply than I would overfuse. Overfusing is a bad idea. Often leads to burnt traces and holes in PCBs.

F115 protects your regulated +12, I would recommend looking at the regulated +12, inspecting cap C2 as it often leaks on boards with original caps installed and eats through the traces underneath it, and if the +12 is low, you might consider replacing the 7812 with the ezsbc replacement part to bring it up to 12

Edit: Now I realize you were talking about F116 which protects BR5 and the unregulated +12. The heatsink idea might not be a bad thing - although I still think I'd rather go with an external power supply.

#16 8 years ago

I had a similar issue with my STTNG blowing a fuse (I think it may have been the same one) and replacing the BR corrected it for me. It was heating up like crazy, along with the fuse, and the fuse would blow after a few minutes of play or just by setting in attract mode for a while. I replaced the stock 200v BR with a 400v and added a heat sink to it and the problem went away. I think adding mods is just pushing these aging components over the edge.

#17 8 years ago

If you want to coat your game in powered mods, which is fine, just use an extra power supply... and fuse that extra power supply. This can be done neatly and after the line switch.

I have been in the head of overly modded games and it makes me concerned when i see alligator clips bodged onto 5v and 12v sources.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The circuit wasn't made to run colorDMD and a ton of led lighting strips. When you add to the circuit you can expect it may need to output more amps than it originally needed to. In that case, the root cause is adding all the extra components and overfusing may be required.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I have been in the head of overly modded games and it makes me concerned when i see alligator clips bodged onto 5v and 12v sources.

This is not the recommended way to install mods of course lol.

#20 8 years ago

Hi everyone! I did manage to fix the problem! I dimmed my Color DMD down to about 4/9 (it was on 9/9!) and took out all my LED mods from the 12v circuits. I put them in one at a time to see which one tripped the circuit. It seemed that unplugging them all and plugging them in did the trick. I did avoid a double piggyback on one circuit by using the AUX circuit on the color DMD board.

I spoke to my pinball guy and he said that an external power supply or an extra heat sink on the bridge rectifiers will do the trick. For now I've kept one mod (undercab light) unplugged that I know was draining a lot. Turning down the brightness on the Color DMD really did the trick as well.

Will look into power supply's and heatsink.

What external power supply do you guys recommend and how does it work? I know it goes in the service plug but does it involve any soldering with the circuits?

Cheers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-blowing-j116-fuse-after-10-minutes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.