(Topic ID: 143180)

Judge Dredd, Black Rose or Johnny Mnemonic?

By Shadrac

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi,
need some opinions about these three tables, same budget here in France and can only get one. JD and BR are easy to find here but JM is much rare.
My favourite pin is BSD, in comparison (the only pin i own right now)
I love speed, good flow and challenging/hard games, and i just sold The Shadow, TFTC and T2 some weeks ago (love TS and T2, and hate TFTC).
My favourite of the three right now is JM, but i don't know if i will find one...
Does BR have a Wizard mode?

Thanks

#2 8 years ago

Judge Dredd is one of the best bang for the buck pins you can grab. Lots of cool shots, modes and 4 flippers!

#3 8 years ago

Dredd then jm then br.

#4 8 years ago

If you like speed then you can't beat JM. I think anyway you look at it BR is coming in last place here.

I'd go JM>JD>>>>BR. But some days I like JD better.

If you like speed and flow have you played Getaway?

#5 8 years ago

Judge, then Johnny, then the list stops there. I'm not sure what those other letters are doing...

#7 8 years ago

Hmm ive owned all but br however ive played it some. For what you like get jm but jd is a close second .

#8 8 years ago

Why no love for BR?
it's a high rating pin on IPDB, but not so much here.
Don't play HS2 because i don't like the theme, however it seems to be a great pin.

#9 8 years ago

Have had a JM, JD is bolted to the floor (have had about 3 years now?). JM is great and is the best flowing game I've played not made by Steve Richie, but the abundance of modes, shots and a phenomenal artwork and sound package push JD way ahead of it.

Have not played BR much and the few I have the cannon was always fucking up. Cannon issues have kept me from ever persuing a BR, but it seems like a cool game.

Go JD. He is THE LAW

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Dredd then jm then br.

This would be my opinion too. JD feels deeper as a home game for me and has some varied shots. I find if I just want to play some pinball and i'm not really fussed about scoring strategy there's a lot of different ways to play JD and different things to focus on.

#11 8 years ago

Judge Dredd, easily. I've had and sold/traded all three. Dredd is the only one that has come back.

Judge Dredd has the most going on in terms of shots, objectives, and modes, and is the most well balanced. It's not perfect, but it is one of my favorites. I doubt it will leave my collection again.

Black Rose is enjoyable, but 'double broadside' makes the scoring broken. People the cannon makes the ball movements a bit screwy, but I had mine dialed in well, and it was no worse than having a raised insert in the middle of the playfield. It does have a cool toy, great art, and a fun layout, though. It lasted a year in my collection.

Johnny seems to be the flavor of the month; coincidentally, I enjoyed it for all of a month. I felt like it was 275 lbs of literally some pinball; there was nothing remarkable, and the scoring is broken. It does have more depth than Black Rose now, and my buddy who bought it likes it quite a bit.

#12 8 years ago

Johnny by a landslide. One of my all time favs

#13 8 years ago

Johnny Mnemonic: It's one of the fastest pinball experiences available, but is a little short on modes. The glove can be a pain to maintain or fix.

Judge Dredd: it doesn't seem possible to pack so many wire ramps and then have room to fit the coolest ball lock in history (if you get the Deadworld mod). This title would cost more to build today than than a Stern LE. The crane can be a pain to maintain or fix.

#14 8 years ago

Judge dredd

#15 8 years ago

JD don't seems to be very fun compared to the other two. I need to play one but right now my vote is JM>BR>JD
I love BSD and i'm not very found of purely modes based pins, TFTC is a high rating pin but it bores me after one week, but since i own BSD, all of the others pins bores me
Either way, I'll try BR and JD this week.

#16 8 years ago

All three are good games but JD is easily my choice. It has great artwork, good flow, and plenty of depth. It plays a lot different than most pins, so it took me a few dozen plays to warm up to it. However, it's now one of my favorite games and a keeper in my small collection.

#17 8 years ago

IMO JM should be in the top 20 for game play....JD is good too, but as a widebody it plays much slower, JM is probably the fastest pin you'll ever play. Mode wise they both have 8-9 modes so it's draw. However the wizard mode (powerdown) for JM is phenomenal. JD does have a cooler toy with the spinning planet and crane vs the glove.

#18 8 years ago

Is it true that all three can be mechanical nightmares????

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from henhel:

Is it true that all three can be mechanical nightmares????

Judge Dress can require a lot of tweaking between the planet rotation, crane lift, and crane side movement. Each of those involve mechanisms that, if excessively worn, can be that much more difficult to dial in. Many of the parts (such as cams) can be unobtainable if broken.

Some patience is definitely required. But once dialed in, it can be marvellous to watch.

For these repair and maintenance reasons, I don't recommend Judge Dredd as a beginner's machine.

#20 8 years ago

I've owned all 3. Only JM can be really annoying mechanically. JM is definitely the fastest but I really hate the hole shot and that ramp on the left is just too close, I got rid of it twice. I owned JD twice also. The game has cool art and good gameplay but the music sucks, I even owned it with pinball pro speakers and just got more annoyed by the sound. BR is fun but can be pretty easy and basic compared to the other two, none of them are at all like BSD or Shadow, those are B+ pins, all of these are C+ - B- pins, theyre ok but certainly have their faults. The good part is theyre all a great price.

#21 8 years ago

JM is one of my favorite games. Easily my favorite game of those three. I like TS better than all of them tho too.

If you can find one, Indianapolis 500 is another awesome choice to consider. Challenging, fast, and fun.

#22 8 years ago

Johnny M great pin,super fast,a lot to do

#23 8 years ago

I'm also going to say JM, JD, then BR. JM is Effin awesome especially for the flow.... it has became my number 2 favorite pinball machines out of the 10 other bally / williams games I own. It has some cheesy callouts, but the music, sound fx, speed and easy to achieve flow makes you completely forget about all of that. One tip I would recommend, disable the glove, and other than having to do video mode every game. It is amazing, without any interruption. The glove to me slows the game down tremendously, but can be enjoyed even without it.

#24 8 years ago

JD out of all that you mention
by a mile!!!!

#25 8 years ago

I've have both JD and JM. Love them both. Slight edge to JM because it really is FAST.

#26 8 years ago

JM. JD is fun but some of the shots are underutilized. To me the rules limit the potential on JD. I love the jd theme and had a nice one but it only lasted about 4 months as it got old quick. My JM is still here after 4 years - love the speed and the close left ramp return.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

JM. JD is fun but some of the shots are underutilized. To me the rules limit the potential on JD. I love the jd theme and had a nice one but it only lasted about 4 months as it got old quick. My JM is still here after 4 years - love the speed and the close left ramp return.

With Crime Scene, all of the shots are utilized. Build it and collect!

#28 8 years ago

The people who think JD doesn't have great rules or has underutilized shots need to learn to play the game.

#29 8 years ago

JM all the way!

#30 8 years ago

From what you are looking for in a pin I'm going to say JM would be great for you. For me personally JD is better, but that's for me not you.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Johnny seems to be the flavor of the month; coincidentally, I enjoyed it for all of a month. I felt like it was 275 lbs of literally some pinball; there was nothing remarkable, and the scoring is broken. It does have more depth than Black Rose now, and my buddy who bought it likes it quite a bit.

Hmm...275 lbs of nothing? How about 275 lbs of awesomeness! Perhaps you need to learn how to play JM...just saying.

#32 8 years ago

BR isn't even in the discussion, cool cannon toy but a repeat-center-shot shallow ruleset.

JMn is also an unbalanced ruleset, with the Spinner Millions/4x/Hold Bonus method, but what a package! It's got great flow, an amazing toy, great head-to-head strategy on that matrix (locking on the best rewards, squatting, starting tic-tac-toe multi, etc), and one of the absolute coolest final modes ever. A very cool machine! Someone posted once they had replaced the JMn spinner with an older Bally spinner or something and it really balanced the scoring out.

JD is your typical mode based gameplay, but great art, dots, sound effects and certain modes are actually very cool. Dead World is a neat toy with the mod. The shots are so unique and different, this is a cool pin to have in a big lineup. But the shots are a little off, and the sweet shot from the right flipper is the post for the left ramp... it's not as kinetically immersive because of how clunky the shots are laid out (that's why it was a dud on location, but players grow to love it in their homes as they grow accustomed to the off-beat shots).

It's close between JD and JMn. JMn is definitely the better player, with the best toy, but there's something to be said of JD's uniqueness, awesome art and dots...esp if you have several fan layouts in your collection.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Hmm...275 lbs of nothing? How about 275 lbs of awesomeness! Perhaps you need to learn how to play JM...just saying.

Like I said, owned a really nice one for a few months, played quite a bit of it, wasn't impressed.

Do you know how to exploit spinner millions repeatedly? Once you do, it's one of the most dull games to play for score.

#34 8 years ago

Spent a bit of time on JM recently while I was on holiday, I was very lucky to have one in the hotel gameroom, it wasn't in the best shape, the gloves didn't work so I have no idea what they do but I was totally amazed I think this an awsome game great shots could understand what was going on , very addictive game play, was like I was at war with the damn thing, I totally love it an would love to spend more time playing it, so jonny gets my vote, seriously great game!!!

#35 8 years ago
#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Like I said, owned a really nice one for a few months, played quite a bit of it, wasn't impressed.
Do you know how to exploit spinner millions repeatedly? Once you do, it's one of the most dull games to play for score.

The problem with JM, to me, is that once you've beaten it a few times, you've had enough. It really doesn't have staying power.

I really like the game, and will flip it every time I get the chance, but I don't want it taking up space in the arcade.

#37 8 years ago

I just sold my JM recently and picked up a nice Black Rose and glad that I did. Don't get me wrong Johnny is a very cool game but I am having a lot more fun playing Black Rose. It has a lot going on and it's not just sinking ships. There are quite a few hidden treasures in this gem that keep you coming back for more. Everyone that comes over has an absolute blast playing it. JD is a fun game also. Maybe I'll pick one up down the road.

#38 8 years ago

JM, Black Rose, Dredd.

Pretty big drop off from JM which has the best flow and software of the bunch.

Dredd is somehow both half-baked and overblown. Not a fan. Black Rose is decent system 11 style fun with too many stupid video mode thingees.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
$ 34.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 22.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-black-rose-or-johnny-mnemonic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.