IMG_1271 (resized).JPG
IMG_1272 (resized).JPG
IMG_1270 (resized).JPG
IMG_1269 (resized).JPG
IMG_1267 (resized).JPG
IMG_1207 (resized).PNG
IMG_1179 (resized).JPG
IMG_1180 (resized).JPG
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Hey all very new. Recently bought a Judge Dredd pin and it doesn't hold memory. Noticed the previous batteries had leaked and appears to have gotten to the circuits.

How do I clean the board or what kind of board is it so I can order a new one?

Thanks!

IMG_1180 (resized).JPGIMG_1180 (resized).JPG

IMG_1179 (resized).JPGIMG_1179 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

That much corrosion is probably going to insolve some desoldering and board work. Rottendog makes a nice replacement if you want to go that far: http://rottendog.us/MPU089.html . An original board will be cheaper if you can find one. The part number should be in your manual

the stuff that's corroded doesn't actually have to do with the memory, it's mostly switch input. It'd probably be feasible to just remove the battery holder and install a new remote battery holder if you're at all comfortable with soldering, and you'd have a pretty good chance at your board working. The corrosion can be neutralized using white vinegar, etc, there are some guides around. That won't get inside the components though if it's gotten that far.

#3 7 years ago

Another board gone.....just get a new one as that one will be forever compromised

#4 7 years ago

Your switch input wired connectors likely need to be repined based on how much damage I see there. Unplug J205, J212, J206/J207, and J208/J209 at the bottom of the board and J210 on the right side. Can you take some pictures of these disconnected?

#5 7 years ago

I can. I'm going to contact the seller. He said it all was in great shape and see if he'll pay for a new board.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Your switch input wired connectors likely need to be repined based on how much damage I see there. Unplug J205, J212, J206/J207, and J208/J209 at the bottom of the board and J210 on the right side. Can you take some pictures of these disconnected?

If you they might be corroded, they appear to be.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Kal_el:

I can. I'm going to contact the seller. He said it all was in great shape and see if he'll pay for a new board.

I hope you have some good luck with it. Bought it through Ebay?

#8 7 years ago

Yeah, time to replace that one if you want long term reliable game play. Otherwise, you are going to go through cleaning, replacing components, etc, and even if you get if fully working, a month later crap is just going to start happening.

#9 7 years ago

granny's little horror house, YOU'VE JUST BEEN SCREWED!

#10 7 years ago

This board is not economically feasible to repair; not that it can't be repaired, it just would cost more to fix than it would to replace the board. If you love to solder and are on a budget, please take a look at the following post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twobits-wpc-mpu-complete-assembly#post-3487446

If you get with Duracell, they will provide some warranty coverage for your damaged board; the bad part of this is you have to send them the board with the batteries installed. If you do this, I would remove everything removable (ASIC, CPU, ROM) from the board before sending it in as the ASIC chip alone will likely cost more to replace than you receive in reimbursement.

#11 7 years ago

something tells me those are not rhe original batteries that leaked.

#12 7 years ago

something tells me those are not rhe original batteries that leaked.

Oh yeah, you are right. Now that I'm looking at the batteries it looks like they were recently installed.

#13 7 years ago

I would replace that board. Good thing there is an alternative to Rottendog for the WPC boards. This is fully populated and tested board from twobits. Just mention what game it is for upon check out and it will come with the game ROM too. http://www.twobits.com/WPC/

#14 7 years ago

I've attempted to contact the seller and waited a week with no reply. When do I out him.

IMG_1207 (resized).PNGIMG_1207 (resized).PNG

#15 7 years ago

I smell a PayPus chargeback coming.............."item supplied was faulty/didn't match description etc"

#16 7 years ago

I would replace that board. Good thing there is an alternative to Rottendog for the WPC boards. This is fully populated and tested board from twobits. Just mention what game it is for upon check out and it will come with the game ROM too. http://www.twobits.com/WPC/

I got my Judge Dredd from eBay also and it too had major battery acid damaged MPU so I can relate. Game was stated as fully working but the damage made the start button (so couldn't play a game) and volume controls not work. I didn't have to get eBay or pay pal involved but I did have to call the seller and demand some kind of fix. He asked me to sell the damaged board on eBay (sold for $40 to him!) he then paid for his damaged board/shipping of the board/eBay and pay pal fees/ and the remaining amount for a new board. I bought a new rottendog board and it fixed everything.

That twobits one seems a lot more expensive than the rottendog one and the rottendog one I have has been working great. The twobit site says this board is for Dr Dude too but Its a system 11 not a WPC so I don't know why it's there.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

That twobits one seems a lot more expensive

Includes all the chips, so there is some price difference there.

Quoted from phillymadison:

The twobit site says this board is for Dr Dude too but Its a system 11 not a WPC so I don't know why it's there.

There actually were some Dr Dude's built with the WPC board set.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Oh yeah, you are right. Now that I'm looking at the batteries it looks like they were recently installed.

I took the old ones and put the ones

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Kal_el:

I took the old ones and put the ones

By chance you have the old ones?

#20 7 years ago

There actually were some Dr Dude's built with the WPC board set.

Yes you're right I forgot about that!

#22 7 years ago

Quoted from Kal_el:

Still waiting to see pictures of these connectors. Having a replacement board may only be half the battle if connectors need to be repined.

#23 7 years ago

Did you get the pictures?

#24 7 years ago

No. I hadn't seen the side view of the wired connectors yet. Need to see the side of the pins that you can see, not where it plugs into the male connectors.

#25 7 years ago

I hope there is no damage to any of them. If that is the case, then a replacement board should be all you need.

Replacement board is on order?

#26 7 years ago

Having a replacement board may only be half the battle if connectors need to be repined.

The bottom terminals of the caps are clean, the switch connectors should be fine. But I would look at J210 connector for corrosion.

#27 7 years ago

I had seen a couple of games with battery damaged female pin connectors and not damage the male pins.

#28 7 years ago

Ok, you need pictures of the female end, just to clarify. Correct?

Also, I took these pictures (on Facebook) last night and plugged everything back in. Now the left launcher coil continuously is on and a plunger for the left lane continuously tries popping a ball up over and over.

Any idea what that is?

#29 7 years ago

I hope there is no damage to any of them. If that is the case, then a replacement board should be all you need.
Replacement board is on order?

Yes, will be here the beginning of next week. Or so says UPS.

#30 7 years ago

Wish I could send video

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Kal_el:

Ok, you need pictures of the female end, just to clarify. Correct?

Yes, the female connector is on the wired end, which will get plugged into the replacement board. Just want to be sure you're not risking damage to your other board.

#32 7 years ago

Time to pop in a NVRAM into LW3, which the board already has a socket for so it will be an easy upgrade just swapping out the old part.

#33 7 years ago

IMG_1267 (resized).JPGIMG_1267 (resized).JPG

IMG_1269 (resized).JPGIMG_1269 (resized).JPG

IMG_1270 (resized).JPGIMG_1270 (resized).JPG

IMG_1272 (resized).JPGIMG_1272 (resized).JPG

IMG_1271 (resized).JPGIMG_1271 (resized).JPG

#34 7 years ago

There you go. J208 has corrosion on the female and male header pins. Gravity played a part in this. The top part of the J210 male header pins are black on the tips (at least according to the camera angle), so I would repin J210 along with J208.

#35 7 years ago

J208 and its connector needs to be replaced

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

J208 and its connector needs to be replaced

The whole board is being replaced early next week.

#37 7 years ago

I saw a darkening on the power connector J210, but I think its just a shadow on the image

#38 7 years ago

The whole board is being replaced early next week.

You still need to replace the J208 connector BEFORE you install the new board

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

You still need to replace J208 BEFORE you install the new board

For sure.

#40 7 years ago

OP, keep this in mind if you buy another game that has any battery corrosion. There seems to be other battery manufacturers that offer a similar warranty as Duracell.

Quoted from Pin_Guy:

If you get with Duracell, they will provide some warranty coverage for your damaged board; the bad part of this is you have to send them the board with the batteries installed. If you do this, I would remove everything removable (ASIC, CPU, ROM) from the board before sending it in as the ASIC chip alone will likely cost more to replace than you receive in reimbursement.

#41 7 years ago

Thanks guys. Do I just buy the set? I saw something like a ribbon set while I was looking for a board.

I bought the board with the chips because I didn't know if/how to take them out and didn't want to fuck them up. I know it was more expensive but I rather just have it done.

Again, thanks.

#42 7 years ago

Could you point me in the right direction of where to buy them?

Thanks

#43 7 years ago

.100" pins for the J208 are very small and can be bought multiple places.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/search.asp?pg=1&stext=08-50-0114&sprice=&stype=&scat=

If you don't buy a connector key, you still should fill the hole somehow, epoxy is another idea.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/search.asp?pg=1&stext=15-04-9209&sprice=&stype=&scat=

And a 9 pin connector housing with a locking ramp.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/search.asp?pg=1&stext=CP100-09-LR&sprice=&stype=&scat=

#44 7 years ago

Guys do you really think 208 has corrosion or was it when the batteries were change it dropped down and landed on the connector and would fall off if it was turned over?

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Guys do you really think 208 has corrosion or was it when the batteries were change it dropped down and landed on the connector and would fall off if it was turned over?

The pins are clearly corroded on the board. The connector should be repinned

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

The pins are clearly corroded on the board

I was looking at the connector and didn't even look at the pins. My bad!

#47 7 years ago

Ok, I know you might kill me for this but would just ordering this do the trick?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/H-15736

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Kal_el:

I know you might kill me

Why would we kill you!! Yell and scream maybe, but never kill. 120.00 dollars seems like a waste when you just need 2 connectors at @ one dollar. Then 15 minutes of your time. Its also good practice as you may need to replace a GI connector some day.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from Kal_el:

Ok, I know you might kill me for this but would just ordering this do the trick?
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/H-15736

This is the Transformer secondary cable it provides the AC voltage taps to the several different cards in the backbox; its available as it would be a standard cable. If you were to try and find the entire wiring harness, it would be the game specific switch harness you would need.

#50 7 years ago

Lol, thanks. I get the harnesses you posted.

You guys are like ninjas..........but with pinball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 85.00
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-battery-leaking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.