Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ikrananka
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160229_214255_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
easter-egg_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I'm having an issue where around 1 in 10 balls that return from the Sniper Tower down the left habitrail, returning to one of the left inlanes, bounces back so hard that it either leaps out and down the left outlane of goes to the right and straight down the middle between the flippers. I put up a video showing this happening at

Clearly this is due to the speed of the ball hitting the semi-circular metal ball stop at the end of the habitrail so hard that it bounces back and up. Strangely this didn't used to happen and yet now it is and I have made no changes to the machine. Any suggestions on how I can reduce the bounce back? Ideally the ball should stop dead so I'm thing that some kind of pad stuck to the ball stop might work.

#2 3 years ago

I have foam stickers in my habitrail to slow the ball down like speed bumps. I have problems keeping the ball in the habitrails when I after just waxing the fields.

#3 3 years ago

Well I thought I couldn't be the only one with the problem. Funnily enough, and I forgot to mention, this problem did start after I cleaned and waxed the playfield.

Could you maybe post a picture of one of your "speed bumps"? It would be good to have something visual to try and copy.

#4 3 years ago

says the video is private

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Could you try it again - I have set it to unlisted 3 times now but it just doesn't seem to stay set and changes to Private.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from ikrananka:

Well I thought I couldn't be the only one with the problem. Funnily enough, and I forgot to mention, this problem did start after I cleaned and waxed the playfield.
Could you maybe post a picture of one of your "speed bumps"? It would be good to have something visual to try and copy.

Quoted from Butch2099:

I thought it clashed at first but then I thought, you know I think it works. Dredd is kind of a softy behind his tough veneer.

easter-egg_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#7 3 years ago

LOL - thanks for the pics. I may try something a little less cutesy

#8 3 years ago

Video is working now. I'm at a loss myself. Everything looks as it should. Did you recently have it apart?

#9 3 years ago

I had the same issue as well. One of the welds at the bottom of that wireform was broken, and things were bent out of place a bit.

BTW, where would you guys go to have something like that re-welded?

#10 3 years ago

Funny I have the same issue on the right side. I used a plastic spacer to lift the ramp a bit higher to have less downward slope. Helped but did not solve the problem completely. Make sure there is nothing on the ramp like a burr or anything else that could make the ball get slightly airborne on its way down. One of my plastic ramps had the smallest of lips which made the ball jump and drain.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Video is working now. I'm at a loss myself. Everything looks as it should. Did you recently have it apart?

I didn't have it apart. All I did was clean and wax the playfield and a tiny levelling adjustment to the front left leg. This must have made the difference to make this happen.

Quoted from Collin:

I had the same issue as well. One of the welds at the bottom of that wireform was broken, and things were bent out of place a bit.

I took the wireform off the machine yesterday. No broken welds. Bent the mounting points very slightly to make sure that the trail was horizontal (it was slightly bending to the left before) but made no difference.

Quoted from BioBa:

I used a plastic spacer to lift the ramp a bit higher to have less downward slope. Helped but did not solve the problem completely. Make sure there is nothing on the ramp like a burr or anything else that could make the ball get slightly airborne on its way down. One of my plastic ramps had the smallest of lips which made the ball jump and drain.

The ramp is definitely pushed down a lot when mounting onto the last screw at the slingshot. It's manufactured shape must be with less slope. I'll give the spacer a try (there's plenty of thread available on the screw) and will also check for burrs on the habitrail near the end. I'll report back what happens.

Thanks for all the help - great forum

#12 3 years ago

I have the same issue, but only once in about 25 or more times. I think slowing the ball down might be a good idea...will try that myself too (once I have the game working again...blanking-LED stays on, CPU is dead right now ).

#13 3 years ago

I cut apart an old ramp I had and made a clear colver for the end portion of the wirefrom in order to keep the ball from jumping out on my JD. It worked. I could take and post a pic later when I get home from work.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I cut apart an old ramp I had and made a clear colver for the end portion of the wirefrom in order to keep the ball from jumping out on my JD. It worked. I could take and post a pic later when I get home from work.

A picture would be great - thanks.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from ikrananka:

A picture would be great - thanks.

I'll post one in about 5 hours. I always keep old ramps around to make stuff like this out of.

#16 3 years ago

Sorry. I got a little sidetracked tonight. Here's a pic:

20160229_214255_(resized).jpg

#17 3 years ago

That's a great looking mod. Thanks for the pic.

#18 3 years ago

I see the leaping ball about 20% of the time on my machine.

I've been able to knock it down to well under 5% by giving the machine a slight shake when the ball hits the end. A little sideways action takes some force out of the ball and keeps it in the correct lane.

I was going to put a spongy buffer at the end, but I like Rum-Z's solution a lot.

#19 3 years ago

when I had my JD, I had the same problem, except it would jump out and into the outlane. That really sucked. I did some searching online and found a couple old forum posts saying that bending the end of the wireform will solve the problem. What seems to be happening is the end stop is causing the ball to bounce up and out, so you want to bend it up so that when the ball hits the end stop it doesn't bounce. I did it to mine and it worked great. It didn't take much of a bend, so I think what happens is that over time the ball constantly hitting the end of the ramp causes it to open up and bending it back fixes the problem. You may find that when you bend it you also twist it a bit, so it may take a bit of tweaking to get it right. But that's what Judge Dredd is all about right? Constant tweaking to keep it working just right!

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from redundor:

when I had my JD, I had the same problem, except it would jump out and into the outlane. That really sucked. I did some searching online and found a couple old forum posts saying that bending the end of the wireform will solve the problem. What seems to be happening is the end stop is causing the ball to bounce up and out, so you want to bend it up so that when the ball hits the end stop it doesn't bounce. I did it to mine and it worked great. It didn't take much of a bend, so I think what happens is that over time the ball constantly hitting the end of the ramp causes it to open up and bending it back fixes the problem. You may find that when you bend it you also twist it a bit, so it may take a bit of tweaking to get it right. But that's what Judge Dredd is all about right? Constant tweaking to keep it working just right!

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a shot. Seems the right way to solve the problem.

1 week later
#21 3 years ago

Thanks for all of the replies. I ended up adding 4 to 5mm spacers to lift both ramps up where they are bolted to the top of the slingshots. Completely solved the problem.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Killeen, TX
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Killeen, TX
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 47.00
$ 150.00
Playfield - Protection
Republic Of Pinball
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Miami, FL
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Louisville, KY
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Bright Lights Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 28.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside