police bar (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210119-163406_Chrome (resized).jpg
20210119_162946 (resized).jpg
20210119_162918 (resized).jpg
20210119_162930 (resized).jpg
22B815B1-378A-42D0-9584-8D1B66BE12C9 (resized).jpeg
20200315_132232 (resized).jpg
61AB6491-9047-4D0C-9B35-3209CC73DB49 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider davi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Few months ago I decided to upgrade the original crane plastic cover to something different -- something better.
My intention was to create a detailed and realistic crane while preserving the look of the original design. I also wanted to enhance it with discrete built-in lighting. When the crane is in motion, the LED is ON.
I kept the colors and the main appearance of the original artwork, but in 3D.

Crane overview (resized).jpgCrane overview (resized).jpg
Crane front view (resized).jpgCrane front view (resized).jpg
Crane side view (resized).jpgCrane side view (resized).jpg

Cranegif.gifCranegif.gif

This is detailed 3D printed crane, it comes complete with:
-base plate (to hide the original metal frame)
-3D cylinder cover
-truss framework
-realistic claws, with built in LED, and 3D warning stripes (no paint)
-power harness

As default, the standard LED color is yellow. Upon request, I can supply with green or red (no extra charge).
As default, the truss framework version is long. Please highlight, if you would like to get short version (no extra charge).

Short truss version:
Crane short truss (resized).jpgCrane short truss (resized).jpg
Crane short truss front (resized).jpgCrane short truss front (resized).jpg

Plug & play, no soldering required. This mod is reversible, no permanent changes are necessary. The power for LED's is sourced under the playfield via Molex connector (included).

Installation difficulty: very easy
Installation duration: 10 minutes

Price of crane modification package is $100. International shipping is $20.

And finally, thanks to TractorDoc for test and for pictures.

#13 4 years ago

Thanks guys for the nice words and for the intense interest

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Frog:

How long do you reckon you'll be selling these? I'm on a self-imposed spending freeze right now, given the current situation but would like to pick one of these up in the near-ish future.

I hear you, and fully understand. Let me know which version do you like, and I am going to reserve it for you.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from ChiTownPinHead:

I'd be down for yellow led long truss version... not sure if it would make it.

What do you mean?
Yellow led/long truss is the default version.

#26 4 years ago

Good point. The 3D version has a positive side effect: it looks "deeper", so it seems taller than the original. In fact, it's not.
As you can see below, the 3D version is a bit lower. The difference is not big, only 2.5 mm, it's a bit smaller than 1/8".

JD crane comparison (resized).JPGJD crane comparison (resized).JPG

Unfortunately TractorDoc's JD has no Deadworld mod, so he had no chance to test the higher lift. However, the 3D crane is not taller than the original, therefore the height should not be a blocking factor.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Does the short truss version lay slightly lower than the long truss version. And have these been tested with the locking ring mod.

The difference between long truss and short truss is only the length. Height is the same.

#31 4 years ago

Make it through Customs due to pandemic.

I see no restrictions about parcels, they don't want to completely stop the economy.

#35 4 years ago

Let me know when you start taking $$$ fir these. Consider me in.

I am ready, thanks for your interest.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from cynric:

When will your deadline on these things be? I am interested but can not yet see where all this corona craze will leave me regarding toy-cash in the next 1-2 months...
Also I have a few questions to judge reliability of this mod: You say the colors are not painted, so I guess you use a multi-extruder printer or a full spectrum machine? So how are the colored bits kept in place? Are they melted to the rest of the crane? Are they glued/epoxied on?
Reason for this question: my machine sits in a semi-public place, where it gets heavily played for 10 hours straight once a month by non-pinball people (the kind who just keep playing on if something comes loose or falls onto the playfield), it would be a no-go if the colored bits could wiggle loose from vibration.
Can you think of anything else that would speak against using the mod in this environment?

See post #20.

I use a single extruder printer, and 3 colors. Dots, stripes are part of 3D print, printed on top of black base.
The crane contains glued parts (2 part epoxy), but not for the dots.

#38 4 years ago

Cranes are on the way to USA, Canada, Germany.
Unfortunately the logistic path to Australia is closed.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

What do you mean? I just shipped a package to Australia. Now I’m worried!

Hungary to Australia: postal service is closed.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

looks killer, got any more pics of it out of the machine?

Thanks. Installation pics here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-paragon-breathing-life-back-into-the-beast/page/14#post-5543240

1 week later
#48 4 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Got a nice surprise in the mail today. Very nicely packaged, no damage at all. Looks better in person, cool texture. Can't wait to install!
Thanks davi![quoted image]

Thanks for feedback!

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Devilsmuse:

Davi, I just received and opened my box. Oh My God its beautiful! Amazing craftmanship and technical 3D printing skills. Over the top, I can't say how pleased I am with your work and your design. THANKYOU!!!!!!! I love the way it looks I really like the Red lights you put in mine.[quoted image]

Thank you! Yours is the one and only red version

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

The right side seems off to me - yellow/black spacing wrong, the first yellow line on the left should start farther left which would allow equal spacing between the lines
[quoted image]

You are right, the spacing is not equal - even the word 'minor' is too much to describe this "problem". If this bothers someone (existing or new customers), I am here to help.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Sarcasm? Towards a potential customer. Can’t really tell, but I was just pointing out how it looked to me. But I see I get downvoted for pointing out something I saw that didn’t look right, and probably could be fixed.
Don’t see feedback or constructive criticism as a reason to be upset. Rather, see it as an opportunity to improve.

No problem for me - and no downvote by me. As I said, I can try to modify it for new cranes. If needed, for shipped cranes I can provide that small insert if it's an issue.
The design is the same since first post, and got a positive feedback from you as well - on first day. That's why an opposite feedback about stripes was strange on day #23. That's it, nothing more. Peace

#54 4 years ago

Done.

20200416_212936 (resized).jpg20200416_212936 (resized).jpg
#56 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Frog:

Man, I can't wait until I get mine. Maybe another suggestion is to have the yellow slashes on the right side go in the opposite direction so it's more like \\\ ///.
Edit: I attached an image to explain what I'm talking about.[quoted image]

The original design is \\\ \\\, that's why I use this pattern. It doesn't mean I can't or won't create your wish

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

Just an FYI to anybody who is installing this on a prototype JD. The crane arm contains a switch which doesn't seem to exist on the production model.
It may have not made a difference, but since I wasn't sure if my game still used the prototypes "ball on magnet" switch I went ahead and drilled a hole through the top of the crane head to allow the switch to still be triggered. Had to use a larger screw and a spacer to allow some play between the mod plastic and switch arm. So far so good.[quoted image]

Are you really happy with that? If you are not 100% happy, I would create a custom version.
Let me know.

2 months later
#66 3 years ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

The mod is just the outer part of the crane. The innards remain the same. This mod replaces the plastic shell that comes in the original game. This mod fits over the magnet and arm that sit under the original plastic. Think of it as a plastic replacement.. The mech still remains.

Exactly, thanks for clarification.

Installation info:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-paragon-breathing-life-back-into-the-beast/page/14#post-5543240

#67 3 years ago

Update:
1st version for prototype/sample games is done.
Modifications have been made in the gripper and also in the cylinder part to create space for microswitch and actuator.
I am going to send this for test.

20200705_153126 (resized).jpg20200705_153126 (resized).jpg20200705_153100 (resized).jpg20200705_153100 (resized).jpg20200705_145354 (resized).jpg20200705_145354 (resized).jpg20200705_145548 (resized).jpg20200705_145548 (resized).jpg
#70 3 years ago
Quoted from Alaskanzen:

Ill echo other folks here and just say the pics don't do it justice. Comparative to commercial mods I would say this meets or far exceeds in design, appearance and ease of use. Superb!

Thank you, good to hear!

Quoted from luckymoey:

You incorporated the changes seamlessly. Anxious to install and provide feedback. It's such a major improvement vs. the stock plastic.

I really hope it fits to sample games.

Quoted from dzorbas:

I received two of these from Peter. Install was fairly straight forward, no issues at all. He did an amazing job on this mod. I've had a few people over (social distancing rules enforced) that have seen it and think it looks fantastic. So much better than that ugly original plastic cover!

This should be a no-brainer for anyone that has a JD.

Thanks again Peter!

Thanks, I am ready to send more cranes

1 month later
#73 3 years ago
Quoted from Useilloosion:

Hey All
What an Awesome Mod....
Well done
I have only Just come accross this 3d crane...
This will look fantastic in my Dredd
I do currently have a crane mod along with a few others
No where near done yet
Are you able to ship to Australia yet ?
Can you please let me know when you can ship To Australia
again as I would like to place an order...
Thanks
Keep up the great work...[quoted image]

Thank you!
I can't ship to Australia. The ban is active. The end date is unknown.

1 week later
#75 3 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

can somebody post a picture of the plug that the black and white magnet coil harness plug into. i have 2 extra harnesses just hanging by that area and i want to be sure. thanks
[quoted image]

According to the manual, look for violet-brown connection.

Screenshot_20200827-054539_Drive (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200827-054539_Drive (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#77 3 years ago

3rd batch is ready.
I can't ship to Australia. The ban is still active.

20200315_132232 (resized).jpg20200315_132232 (resized).jpg
#79 3 years ago
Quoted from Automata90:

Can you ship to Argentina? ✌

Yes, no problem.

1 month later
#81 3 years ago

Have just received confirmation that other Shipping banned Countries have finally starting shipping to Australia this week again..any chance you are also able to ship to Australia too now?

Australia is still not on the approved list, I can't send by regular postal services.
https://www.posta.hu/aktualitasok/fennakadasok_a_nemzetkozi_kuldemenyforgalomban_20200318

3 weeks later
#83 3 years ago

Just checking in on an update for Securing a Crane for my Dredd please
Great news According to your link above shipping is now available to Australia
Very keen to get this mod for my Dredd
Thanks

If everything goes well, I can create one more for you. Material for next batch is expected around mid/end December.

1 month later
#86 3 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Are these still available?

Still waiting for material. I will create few cranes in January.

#88 3 years ago

Take my money. How do I order one

Once it's ready, I will inform you. You are on the list.

3 weeks later
#90 3 years ago

Dark Judge Edition - Black Gold

20210119_162918 (resized).jpg20210119_162918 (resized).jpg20210119_162930 (resized).jpg20210119_162930 (resized).jpg20210119_162946 (resized).jpg20210119_162946 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210119-163406_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210119-163406_Chrome (resized).jpg
#93 3 years ago
Quoted from JackBurton:

Just got my JD this week. I think this is an essential mod.
Black one the same price?

Yes, same.

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Just came across this thread, very nice mod. Is it still possible to order one Davi ?

Yes - PM sent.

4 weeks later
#100 3 years ago

Super impressive piece of work.

Thank you!

how about a mod for the ugly stock pursuit lights?

I would do it - I even have a concept in my mind - but now I have other priorities.

#105 3 years ago

Just a suggestion but perhaps add a little bit of webbing at the crane truss junctions. I noticed that one of mine snapped at the mount hole

Do you mean the truss connection points (horizontal/vertical truss elements)?

#107 3 years ago

Basically, the fitting tolerance is very tight, the structure is stable itself. For extra safety, a 2 part epoxy is used at the junctions.

2 weeks later
#109 3 years ago
Quoted from NewToPinball125:

Do you have any in stock to order?
Thank you

Yes, grey/black (classic) and black gold.

#111 3 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Just PM'd as well. Black/Gold it is for me

It's yours.

10 months later
#112 2 years ago

I am working on a small batch, and will finish it in a week.
In case of inquiry, please contact me via PM (new inquiries only).

3 weeks later
#113 2 years ago

New batch is ready. I have 2 extra crane.

20220305_155416 (resized).jpg20220305_155416 (resized).jpg20220305_155724 (resized).jpg20220305_155724 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#116 2 years ago
Quoted from LoPan:

Received mine! Great work Davi , thanks for making a great mod, huge improvement. [quoted image]

Thank you!
The installation info is available here (and if you are there, you will find great restorations, with nice pictures):

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-paragon-breathing-life-back-into-the-beast/page/14#post-5543321

3 months later
#119 1 year ago
Quoted from Deadpool66:

Have any available ?

Maybe in September.

3 months later
#123 1 year ago

The new batch is ready. PM's are according to the interest list.

#124 1 year ago

Crane army.

20221027_230902 (resized).jpg20221027_230902 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#126 1 year ago

Next batch is planned in February.

3 weeks later
#132 1 year ago

Working on it!

2 weeks later
#136 1 year ago

The batch is ready and packed one by one.
I will send PM's tomorrow.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 40.00
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider davi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-active-3d-crane-modification?tu=davi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.