police bar (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210119-163406_Chrome (resized).jpg
20210119_162946 (resized).jpg
20210119_162918 (resized).jpg
20210119_162930 (resized).jpg
22B815B1-378A-42D0-9584-8D1B66BE12C9 (resized).jpeg
20200315_132232 (resized).jpg
61AB6491-9047-4D0C-9B35-3209CC73DB49 (resized).jpeg

There are 139 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

Few months ago I decided to upgrade the original crane plastic cover to something different -- something better.
My intention was to create a detailed and realistic crane while preserving the look of the original design. I also wanted to enhance it with discrete built-in lighting. When the crane is in motion, the LED is ON.
I kept the colors and the main appearance of the original artwork, but in 3D.

Crane overview (resized).jpgCrane overview (resized).jpg
Crane front view (resized).jpgCrane front view (resized).jpg
Crane side view (resized).jpgCrane side view (resized).jpg

Cranegif.gifCranegif.gif

This is detailed 3D printed crane, it comes complete with:
-base plate (to hide the original metal frame)
-3D cylinder cover
-truss framework
-realistic claws, with built in LED, and 3D warning stripes (no paint)
-power harness

As default, the standard LED color is yellow. Upon request, I can supply with green or red (no extra charge).
As default, the truss framework version is long. Please highlight, if you would like to get short version (no extra charge).

Short truss version:
Crane short truss (resized).jpgCrane short truss (resized).jpg
Crane short truss front (resized).jpgCrane short truss front (resized).jpg

Plug & play, no soldering required. This mod is reversible, no permanent changes are necessary. The power for LED's is sourced under the playfield via Molex connector (included).

Installation difficulty: very easy
Installation duration: 10 minutes

Price of crane modification package is $100. International shipping is $20.

And finally, thanks to TractorDoc for test and for pictures.

#2 4 years ago

Looks so much better

#3 4 years ago

A quick post to emphasize what a great job @Davi did with creating this mod.

The pictures look nice (I'm not biased or anything ) but to see it in person and in action I have to say the crane looks even better.

Now if only he could get the hydraulic cylinder to move and the claw to open/close. . . kidding of course but I have no doubt he could do it.

This game caught me by surprise -- I knew who/what Judge Dredd was but did not necessary connect with the theme the way I did on something like Indiana Jones. After getting a feel for how to play the game I started to "get it." Adding in a couple of these mods has lessened the cheapness the original plastic bits presented with. . . they add a visual and detail element that takes the game to another level for me.

The crane mod fits perfectly and integrates flawlessly into gameplay -- if you own a Judge Dredd I'd encourage you to upgrade the crane in your game.

#4 4 years ago

This looks great.

#5 4 years ago

Very very nice, best crane mod to date!

#6 4 years ago

Really nice work. I've been wanting a crane mod like this since I got my JD. Thanks for making it a reality.

Can't wait to recieve and install mine.

#7 4 years ago

Looking great. Would order one if I owned a JD.

#8 4 years ago

I am in for a long truss, yellow Leds are fine. PM sent.

#9 4 years ago

Looks great, excellent work. If I still had a JD this would be a no brainer.

#10 4 years ago

I'm in!

#11 4 years ago

That is a very cool mod.... very tempting.

#12 4 years ago

Nice job. I'm in!

#13 4 years ago

Thanks guys for the nice words and for the intense interest

#14 4 years ago

This is tremendous.

#15 4 years ago

Payment sent, can't wait for this.

#17 4 years ago

Ha, nice work....It looks good.

#18 4 years ago

Damn fine Job!!!!! It looks fantastic!

#19 4 years ago

How long do you reckon you'll be selling these? I'm on a self-imposed spending freeze right now, given the current situation but would like to pick one of these up in the near-ish future.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Frog:

How long do you reckon you'll be selling these? I'm on a self-imposed spending freeze right now, given the current situation but would like to pick one of these up in the near-ish future.

I hear you, and fully understand. Let me know which version do you like, and I am going to reserve it for you.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

I hear you, and fully understand. Let me know which version do you like, and I am going to reserve it for you.

I'd prefer the longer truss...thanks for setting one aside!

#22 4 years ago

I'd be down for yellow led long truss version... not sure if it would make it.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from ChiTownPinHead:

I'd be down for yellow led long truss version... not sure if it would make it.

What do you mean?
Yellow led/long truss is the default version.

#24 4 years ago

Does the short truss version lay slightly lower than the long truss version. And have these been tested with the locking ring mod.

#25 4 years ago

I ask because it looks like in the video above that the crane is barely raising up and just sliding the ball off. On a locking ring mod the crane definitely needs to be adjusted to raise the ball up and off and that means the crane cover comes close to the glass upon raising. If the cover hits the glass upon lifting the crane will be unable to raise the ball off the locking planet ring

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 4 years ago

Good point. The 3D version has a positive side effect: it looks "deeper", so it seems taller than the original. In fact, it's not.
As you can see below, the 3D version is a bit lower. The difference is not big, only 2.5 mm, it's a bit smaller than 1/8".

JD crane comparison (resized).JPGJD crane comparison (resized).JPG

Unfortunately TractorDoc's JD has no Deadworld mod, so he had no chance to test the higher lift. However, the 3D crane is not taller than the original, therefore the height should not be a blocking factor.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Does the short truss version lay slightly lower than the long truss version. And have these been tested with the locking ring mod.

The difference between long truss and short truss is only the length. Height is the same.

#28 4 years ago

Wow! I’m not very familiar with JD bit this mod as certainly peaked my interest in playing one and eventually getting one! Nice job!

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

What do you mean?
Yellow led/long truss is the default version.

Make it through Customs due to pandemic.

#30 3 years ago

Very nice!!

#31 3 years ago

Make it through Customs due to pandemic.

I see no restrictions about parcels, they don't want to completely stop the economy.

#32 3 years ago

There are no restrictions. I have a parts order from Australia that I just got a notice that cleared customs. It took 4 days, which is absolutely normal.

#33 3 years ago

I got a parcel from both Italy and Australia last week, so the post is still working as normal, albeit with maybe a few day's delay.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

I see no restrictions about parcels, they don't want to completely stop the economy.

Let me know when you start taking $$$ fir these. Consider me in.

#35 3 years ago

Let me know when you start taking $$$ fir these. Consider me in.

I am ready, thanks for your interest.

#36 3 years ago

When will your deadline on these things be? I am interested but can not yet see where all this corona craze will leave me regarding toy-cash in the next 1-2 months...

Also I have a few questions to judge reliability of this mod: You say the colors are not painted, so I guess you use a multi-extruder printer or a full spectrum machine? So how are the colored bits kept in place? Are they melted to the rest of the crane? Are they glued/epoxied on?
Reason for this question: my machine sits in a semi-public place, where it gets heavily played for 10 hours straight once a month by non-pinball people (the kind who just keep playing on if something comes loose or falls onto the playfield), it would be a no-go if the colored bits could wiggle loose from vibration.
Can you think of anything else that would speak against using the mod in this environment?

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from cynric:

When will your deadline on these things be? I am interested but can not yet see where all this corona craze will leave me regarding toy-cash in the next 1-2 months...
Also I have a few questions to judge reliability of this mod: You say the colors are not painted, so I guess you use a multi-extruder printer or a full spectrum machine? So how are the colored bits kept in place? Are they melted to the rest of the crane? Are they glued/epoxied on?
Reason for this question: my machine sits in a semi-public place, where it gets heavily played for 10 hours straight once a month by non-pinball people (the kind who just keep playing on if something comes loose or falls onto the playfield), it would be a no-go if the colored bits could wiggle loose from vibration.
Can you think of anything else that would speak against using the mod in this environment?

See post #20.

I use a single extruder printer, and 3 colors. Dots, stripes are part of 3D print, printed on top of black base.
The crane contains glued parts (2 part epoxy), but not for the dots.

#38 3 years ago

Cranes are on the way to USA, Canada, Germany.
Unfortunately the logistic path to Australia is closed.

#39 3 years ago

Well I missed the first round of shipments but I hope to be in the second round.
I sent you a PM Davi.

#40 3 years ago

looks killer, got any more pics of it out of the machine?

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Cranes are on the way to USA, Canada, Germany.
Unfortunately the logistic path to Australia is closed.

What do you mean? I just shipped a package to Australia. Now I’m worried!

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

What do you mean? I just shipped a package to Australia. Now I’m worried!

Hungary to Australia: postal service is closed.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

looks killer, got any more pics of it out of the machine?

Thanks. Installation pics here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-paragon-breathing-life-back-into-the-beast/page/14#post-5543240

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

See post #20.
I use a single extruder printer, and 3 colors. Dots, stripes are part of 3D print, printed on top of black base.
The crane contains glued parts (2 part epoxy), but not for the dots.

Sounds great! What I was worried about is the black/yellow stripes being able to fall off.
I would appreciate if you would set a short truss version aside for me then.

1 week later
#45 3 years ago

Got a nice surprise in the mail today. Very nicely packaged, no damage at all. Looks better in person, cool texture. Can't wait to install!

Thanks @davi!

Crane Mod (resized).jpgCrane Mod (resized).jpg
#46 3 years ago

Davi, I just received and opened my box. Oh My God its beautiful! Amazing craftmanship and technical 3D printing skills. Over the top, I can't say how pleased I am with your work and your design. THANKYOU!!!!!!! I love the way it looks I really like the Red lights you put in mine.

JD Crane (resized).jpgJD Crane (resized).jpg
#47 3 years ago

The right side seems off to me - yellow/black spacing wrong, the first yellow line on the left should start farther left which would allow equal spacing between the lines

F8932ED2-25E3-403D-A467-4BCA7FA53B28 (resized).jpegF8932ED2-25E3-403D-A467-4BCA7FA53B28 (resized).jpegE9262051-9CAD-4F32-8CBC-C7264D7DD33A (resized).jpegE9262051-9CAD-4F32-8CBC-C7264D7DD33A (resized).jpeg
#48 3 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Got a nice surprise in the mail today. Very nicely packaged, no damage at all. Looks better in person, cool texture. Can't wait to install!
Thanks davi![quoted image]

Thanks for feedback!

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from Devilsmuse:

Davi, I just received and opened my box. Oh My God its beautiful! Amazing craftmanship and technical 3D printing skills. Over the top, I can't say how pleased I am with your work and your design. THANKYOU!!!!!!! I love the way it looks I really like the Red lights you put in mine.[quoted image]

Thank you! Yours is the one and only red version

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

The right side seems off to me - yellow/black spacing wrong, the first yellow line on the left should start farther left which would allow equal spacing between the lines
[quoted image]

You are right, the spacing is not equal - even the word 'minor' is too much to describe this "problem". If this bothers someone (existing or new customers), I am here to help.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
There are 139 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-active-3d-crane-modification?hl=chipscott and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.