(Topic ID: 141226)

Jubilee Restoration - UPDATED AUCTION RESULTS!!

By drscottsmith

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Pecos
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_3.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
lurch-head-shake.gif
DSCN2130.jpg
DSCN2127.jpg
DSCN2126.jpg
DSCN2125.jpg
DSCN2124.jpg
DSCN2117.jpg
DSCN2118.jpg
DSCN2108.jpg
DSCN2106.jpg
DSCN2104.jpg
DSCN2103.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Ok...I know I know...a Jubilee?

Well this one has a good story. It was completely trashed when I got it (for a song). Our church has an auction every year for the local food bank around Christmas, so the wife suggested I restore a machine and donate it to the auction. The way I look at it, this will keep a machine alive, and my guess is the luck new owner will probably be someone who does not have a machine and may get hooked...maybe even a kid who will grow up loving pinball!

So... some pics...

DSCN1764.jpgDSCN1764.jpg
DSCN1770.jpgDSCN1770.jpg
DSCN1777.jpgDSCN1777.jpg
DSCN1778.jpgDSCN1778.jpg
DSCN1780.jpgDSCN1780.jpg

#2 8 years ago

So the cab had a beautiful custom pain(t) job...that had to go. PF needed major work. Had no idea if it even worked. The rats that called it home for awhile had chewed some wiring so did not even try to plug it in...

So disassembly begins...

DSCN1813.jpgDSCN1813.jpg

DSCN1815.jpgDSCN1815.jpg

DSCN1818.jpgDSCN1818.jpg

DSCN1830.jpgDSCN1830.jpg

#3 8 years ago

The cleaning starts...

DSCN1834.jpgDSCN1834.jpg

DSCN1837.jpgDSCN1837.jpg

DSCN1838.jpgDSCN1838.jpg

DSCN1844.jpgDSCN1844.jpg

#4 8 years ago

On to the lower cab...

DSCN1849.jpgDSCN1849.jpg

DSCN1852.jpgDSCN1852.jpg

DSCN1853.jpgDSCN1853.jpg

#5 8 years ago

More cab pics...

DSCN1855.jpgDSCN1855.jpg

DSCN1857.jpgDSCN1857.jpg

#6 8 years ago

A nice before and after of the coin unit and the ball count unit...DSCN1874.JPGDSCN1874.JPG

Then on to some touchup and clearing the PF...

DSCN1877.jpgDSCN1877.jpg

DSCN1879.jpgDSCN1879.jpg

DSCN1893.jpgDSCN1893.jpg

#7 8 years ago

Now to see what happened to that custom paintwork...

Lo and behold - the original art is under there! That's good...as no one has a stencil kit for Jubilee (wonder why)...and I will have to make something.

DSCN1894.jpgDSCN1894.jpg

DSCN1895.jpgDSCN1895.jpg

DSCN1911.jpgDSCN1911.jpg

DSCN1917.jpgDSCN1917.jpg

DSCN1919.jpgDSCN1919.jpg

#8 8 years ago

Making a stencil...
DSCN1925.JPGDSCN1925.JPG

DSCN1927.JPGDSCN1927.JPG

#9 8 years ago

New bottom panel in place and working on the cab body repairs...
DSCN1930.JPGDSCN1930.JPG

And finally some primer going on during the rebuild process...
DSCN1944.JPGDSCN1944.JPG

Stenciling the head...
DSCN2100.JPGDSCN2100.JPG

#10 8 years ago

Playfield reassembly begins...
DSCN2101.JPGDSCN2101.JPG
DSCN2103.JPGDSCN2103.JPG

And it is staring to take shape. A little too much overspray on the cab, but its all good...
DSCN2104.JPGDSCN2104.JPG

Rebuilt chime unit.
DSCN2106.JPGDSCN2106.JPG

#11 8 years ago

More playfield reassembly...

DSCN2108.jpgDSCN2108.jpg

DSCN2118.jpgDSCN2118.jpg

DSCN2117.jpgDSCN2117.jpg

#12 8 years ago

Powered it up...woohoo! Had to do some readjusting of stepper units that I disassembled to clean, but I was VERY surprised at how little I had to do to get everything working!

DSCN2124.jpgDSCN2124.jpg

DSCN2125.jpgDSCN2125.jpg

DSCN2126.jpgDSCN2126.jpg

DSCN2127.jpgDSCN2127.jpg

DSCN2130.jpgDSCN2130.jpg

#13 8 years ago

Still have a little more to do. Apron has been stripped and primed in white - and will need to make decals for it. Final adjustments to do and a new set of legs and levelers, and it will be ready to go. Will take some pics outside when it is nice and complete.

#14 8 years ago

Wow lots of work went into her. Great job.

#15 8 years ago

Lookin good!

#16 8 years ago

Great work!

#17 8 years ago

Beautiful work. I'm impressed! Another pinball saved.

That cabinet wallpaper art is, is, was...?? Probably best to bite my tongue on that one!

Most 'non-pinball' people would be delighted to own a 'Jublilee.'

#18 8 years ago

I am hoping so...maybe we can get someone else hooked!!

#19 8 years ago

By the way...that was actually custom painted if you can believe it (not wallpaper)!!

1 month later
#20 8 years ago

Just found this thread. As a Jubilee owner, it was pretty gratifying to see the debris you managed to turn into a diamond.

Quoted from drscottsmith:

no one has a stencil kit for Jubilee

I was about to offer some pictures of mine, but I saw a few pix later that you lucked into some hidden artwork. Woo-hoo!

My Jubilee had a similar problem (hole kicked in the bottom panel), but a former owner "repaired" it by covering it with a gigantic metal sheet. *LOL* Looks like you went about fixing it in a more practical way. If you're willing to chat further about that process, I'd love to hear your approach. Maybe one day I could properly fix mine.

Quoted from Pecos:

That cabinet wallpaper art is, is, was...?? Probably best to bite my tongue on that one!

By the way...that was actually custom painted if you can believe it (not wallpaper)!!

Oh.

My.

God.

I went back and zoomed in on those pics. You can actually see chipping and bona fide paint drips!

How--?

Wha--?

Why--?

lurch-head-shake.giflurch-head-shake.gif

Well this one has a good story.

I need to know the story of that paint job. *LOL*

Quoted from Pecos:

Most 'non-pinball' people would be delighted to own a 'Jublilee.'

HEY!!! I'm a pinball person and really dig on ole' Jubi. It's actually got some strategy built into the layout and gameplay. That captive ball horseshoe is really tempting to bang away on in order to achieve an extra ball, but since the captive ball shots can be pretty drainy it's likely best to wait for those shots until you rack up some bonus first (another way to work toward an extra ball...with points). I also like those anti-cradle kick-out holes at the base of each flipper (and I'm stop-'n'-go, Pat Lawlor fanboy). It really keeps the game speedy and moving! Lots of fun when playing against people, too, since you can effect the other person's game by stacking a ton of balls in the newton's cradle on one side to make their extra ball achievement even more difficult. Man! Now I want to go play it!!!

Will take some pics outside when it is nice and complete.

I see it's been a month since the first flurry of posts here. Any chance this beauty is complete? Would love to see more documentation. Hope it goes for a lot at that auction (if you can bare to part with it).

Best,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#21 8 years ago

Well done sir. Looking great.

#22 8 years ago

Hello all -

I will post a few completed pics. Machine is actually at the church now as the auction is next weekend. Hope it will bring a good deal of $$ for the food bank. It has been really great to see all of the kids playing it. I hope that's a great sign for the future of pinball. Thanks for all of the compliments!

Ryan - I actually cut the old bottom board out of the machine and totally replaced it. I made a straight cut with a skill saw right down the middle (longways) and then I could get enough grip to pull each half up and out. It is held in with staples and glue on the cross braces and diagonal blocks. I cut a new piece out of fiberboard from Lowes (about what was in there - although plywood would have been more durable) and slid it in to the original tracks on each side. The bottom of the the back panel being broken out helped me be able to slide it. Then I used bondo and recreated the bottom of the back panel.

I have seen some folks who have removed the front or back entirely to slide a new bottom panel in, but I am not a woodworker and those funky joints the cabinet was made with scare me. I have also seen where some folks use a router to cut off the very bottom edge of the lip that holds the bottom panel in and lift it out that way, then use a piece of molding trimmed down to replace it. I hope that makes sense.

Be glad to share more - I don't think I stopped to take any photos mid-stream on the bottom removal, but I will go back and check. By the way, this project has taken several months on and off (and dodging around other projects) - I just suck at keeping up with things like this and tend to post the entire project's worth of pics all at once!

-scott

#23 8 years ago

Oh - and that paint job? I don't know the story of how it got that way. A fella about two hours from me had this and a Big Shot on CL. A friend and I went up to look and he got the Big Shot and I got Jubilee. They were both in about the same shape. They had been in the owner's father's basement for some time and he knew nothing about them other than he wanted to get rid of them.

I have always joked that that paint work might have been original - perhaps an early 'LE' model? It was all over everything (credit buttons, flipper buttons, etc. Ended up replacing all of that rather than trying to clean the paint off. The cabinet paint let go after soaking for about 5 min or so in Citristrip. I just needed to get enough off to get a good stencil made.

I made the stencil with Contact Paper and actually tried to paint with it (just flipping it over for the opposite side). It just proved to be too flimsy. I traced the contact paper stencil onto posterboard and cut that out and used it to paint. Still a little more over spray than I would have liked, but that's ok - its a learning process.

I did make a separate poster 'panel' for each character on the side, however - since they were not connected. Made it much easier to line them up and adjust the distance between them when painting - and to adjust for the color overlaps at each figure.

-scott

#24 8 years ago

Still a little more over spray than I would have liked, but that's ok - its a learning process.

I didn't want to be a jerky artist...but I did notice that. So, here's a question; what DID you learn? I ask as someone who has not tackled a stencil project yet (but may). What will you do differently in the future to lessen the overspray? Weight down the stencil edges a little more?

Thanks for outlining the bottom board replacement!

Best,
Ryan

#25 8 years ago

Some pics....image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

#26 8 years ago

Hey Ryan!

I have done a couple of stencil repaints before with much better results (but with a good quality stencil) and better results...but almost too perfect. I do like the overspray look of the originals versus a crisp paint line.

I think the edges definitely need to be weighted. Even the cardboard lifts a little - especially on the thin "points" of the design. Another option may be to use a heavier material for the stencil...maybe a corrugated plastic like campaign signs are made from. Making them out of wood (or metal like the factory used) might be a little overkill.

I knew in tracing the original art I would not be perfect so I didn't worry about the overspray as much. It is definitely a learning curve to get it right.

1 week later
#27 8 years ago

UPDATE -

I mentioned in the OP that this was being donated to my church's annual Christmas auction to raise money for our local food bank - well, the auction was last night and...

good old Jubilee brought in $1200 for The Carpenter's Table in Duncan, SC!! Needless to say - I was thrilled. Maybe we'll do another next year.

Thanks to all who followed this thread and please donate to your local ministries to help others - especially this time of year!

-scott

#28 8 years ago

WOW very cool....

#29 8 years ago

$1200! That is awesome! Nice work, you got do something you enjoy and make a difference.

My very FIRST pinball was Jubilee, so I have been following your thread. I really enjoyed seeing the machine being brought back to its former glory. I also liked seeing a title that doesn't always get love......getting love. Seems we see plenty of restores on the "collectible" games, but these machine need brought back too! So thanks for bring back some great memories.

#30 8 years ago

...old Jubilee brought in $1200...

Wow, fantastic! Thanks for updating, and congrats on a job well done!!!

#31 8 years ago

Someone got a super nice Jubilee and you've helped The Carpenter's Table 1200 ways in the process. Pat yourself on the back - you deserve it!! Totally awesome any way you look at it!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jubilee-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.