(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (8 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigger64.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15033 8 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

I was just paraphrasing. John has continued to focus on himself and continues to ignore refund requests or any other requests for that matter. ....
I mean how do you send out that email and then turn around and say Zidware is going to continue? Nothing to see here I will figure something out?

The bizarre thing is that technically Zidware is still up and running.

Sure he hasn't delivered a game, and the deal with Bill is dead, and right now there is no real prospect of anything. But until legal action proceeds, he can continue to roll along in this delusion.

He can keep doodling, keep taking money, keep looking for a white knight, he could even dream up the next game he's going to sell. The only way the madness can end is if he is pushed by some court action.

And one asset most have forgotten about is Zidware's Pinball Wizard! game which is still on iTunes.

#15510 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Here was John's words again: As the “pinside” wave has helped to cause many of my customers to stop support, except for a few and actually has halted some other investors or big orders coming in for new game sales for open games. I feel pinside and a lot of the posters (many in an NDA – many behind fake names) are all liable in some form.

I wonder how much cash was taken in from "a few" people who still supported him?

meddling_kids.jpgmeddling_kids.jpg

#15776 8 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I think you are misunderstanding.. my read is that the prototypes were also pre ordered from John years ago; not just now in a back room deal.

Depends on how one looks at it. Was there supposed to be just 13 machines originally (with no prototypes)? Are these "prototypes" just unfinished machines and they really are the ones that belonged to buyers 1-4 (if John had ever finished them)?

It will blow if John now decides these are prototypes that were never intended to be delivered to anyone on the customer list and he's now going to sell them to other people.

#15979 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

Now, a Monty Python pin, I would buy (no you wouldn't).

"Player 1, Ball 2 ..."

Wait, I never even got my first ball!

Yes you did!

No I didn't .....

3 weeks later
#16596 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

benheck said:
Hell even Kruger Family Pinball or whatever that was is better than Zidware because it was a real game that could be played.

And actually has a deep rule set and has great flow and rewarding shots, what it does not have is Art, so it has everything that Jpops games don't (and vice versa). BTW, the name is Kugler, but, close enough.

Kruger Family might be an interesting theme ... Freddy Kruger and his family (grandma, kids, etc.)

#16668 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

His response: "Yes we are past the concept stage at this point, so we now
move to continuing building on the real playfield and game and progress
with programming, animations and software. But estimate at least 6 months
until we get to the next milestone. it's all detailed and takes a lot
longer, like a custom chopper"
This is wrong on so many levels its really hard to wrap your mind around it.
For most of us, that act the right way, with character and integrity, its quite shocking to see such a shameless person and what appears to be continuous fraudulent activity.

You'll notice assembling/manufacturing is never mentioned.
Guess it's not an important milestone.

#16677 8 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

I emailed JPop last night and got a response this morning.
image.jpg

More vague/odd wording.

"The zombie games went out at $9995". Went out? They never went anywhere. Makes it sound like they've been shipping.

But is that price a quote to sell one, or is he just rambling about the past.

The part "more like pinball art" is dead accurate!

#16883 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Funny, when you "Follow the white rabbit" to this page
http://www.pinballinventor.org/alicepinball/chapter2/pagemenu.html
Every link is clickable to show his doodles, but not the Rules link. Guess its all about the doodles

Notice the link: "Chapter 2"

... Chapter II ... Chapter 11 ... aaahh!

1 month later
#17513 8 years ago
Quoted from nate1981s:

To all pinside people. Stop using the term investing or investor. You don't invest in Ferrari by putting a deposit down or prepaying for products. That's what a pinball machine is, a consumer product just like any other. A investor invests capital into a company to get more capital back hopefully. Investing inherently assumes risk. Just because you lost money does not make it a investment loss. Pre-ordering or buying a product outright in America at least should have no risk and assumes you get what you paid for, that's why a lawsuit is possible.

I agree, I don't know why people even consider buyers as "investors" rather than customers.

Let's for a moment pretend that it all had gone well and "believe" that Jpop was successful and Zidware had shipped those three machines, was profitable and was making more new machines...

CUSTOMER:
If someone has paid money towards Magic Girl, then Zidware would have shipped it, MG would be in their house and the transaction would be complete. At that point there would be no further relationship with Zidware unless the person gave more money for another machine.

INVESTOR:
This implies that the person put down money for the long term. What do they get back for their money? If they put down MG money, then I assume they are expecting an MG, but what else?

Is there anything in the agreement where they would hold a share of Zidware until they sold out? Would they get a share of any future sales/profits? Did it say they were providing seed money to Zidware in hope they "might" create a machine, but there was risk of nothing ever being built.

Based on everything we've heard it appears to be the former: they were just simply a customer in a pre-order model.

3 months later
#18432 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

But didn't he send a letter to "investors" saying he could not do it?

If this thing ever gets to court, I'm sure that letter will be featured.

The only way he could talk around it would be if conditions changed... IF he could get a big time investor throwing money at it with a plan, etc.

2 weeks later
#18474 8 years ago

It was really a perfect storm of a bunch of small stuff:

- He's a designer, but he's not able to do the engineering, programming and all the other tasks it takes to build a machine. He can't do a new machine from start to finish solo
- He doesn't know when to finalize a design and stop tweaking
- He doesn't work well with others
- He's not good with the business end and seemed unable to take on and work with someone who had those skills
- He's not focused.

and the fact he's a dreamer who wouldn't accept he was doomed to go off a cliff was like throwing gas on the fire.

1 month later
#18690 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I missed that year. It's amazing he couldn't even bother to attempt to color match the leg protectors, or trim the bottom to fit his custom cabinet.

Well, he did color match the scissors sitting inside the cabinet.

1 month later
#18766 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I had to refresh my memory on the Governor letter... it was from C2C quoted above. That interview is now 6 months old, and yet he was claiming them to be "REALLY CLOSE" to MG production. just like always.

Well, it did give him more space, but it was all just half-finished games.

#18789 7 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

He'd registered a bunch of domains at some point, one was a bible pinball URL that was a direct rip off of Ben Heck's idea.

The Pussy Cat Bowling thing also looks like a response to Big Lebowski ... "oh, they want a bowling theme, I'll do one too"

#18802 7 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I follow this thread with some sort of morbid curiosity, but this made me think...

Honestly, if John could have had a secondary person whose job it was to run the business side of things and keep his dreaming in line, I wonder how things would have worked out. From my limited interactions with John from the MGC, and as I've stated before, I don't believe that he was trying to be a criminal mastermind or steal everyone's money - he really believed his ideas that he had could be created and would be better than anything that came along before. And perhaps he was right, but we'll never know because his business acumen was so bad (or non-existent) that he was never going to get anywhere.
Walt Disney was a huge dreamer too and went bankrupt multiple times. It wasn't until his brother Roy came in and ran the business side and corralled his brother's ambition into a way facing forward that Walt's dreams started to be a success.
From having seen John's ideas for things, he was a wealth of pinball ideas, but he kept coming up with small ones that ultimately didn't mesh. If he had someone nearby who when he would stop working on Magic Girl to figure out the new lighting system for KISS (which was cool) who could have said, "Knock that off or do it when you're not here, we need to finish this!" and who could have coordinated the building of the machines, I actually do think that it would have worked and could have been great.
But... we'll never know, sadly. Dreamers don't make good businessmen.

He definitely needed someone to do the boring business side, while he did the creative side.

However, you still need to resolve two other issues: the ability to manufacture it; and also locking down the design so it can go to production. He seemed to have trouble calling the design done and moving it to the manufacturing process. He always seemed to have yet another idea he wanted to try out.

I don't know that his ego/personality would have let other people make those decisions and given them the space to get the job done. I don't he would have liked someone having to edit his design because something wasn't feasible.

3 months later
#19033 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

I heard he had designs on getting to Expo for the free food, but never got past the design stage

^
boo-yeah!

1 week later
#19052 7 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

What is with his obsessive use of "quotes"?
Is he "trying" to convey "extra" meaning?

"wink"

1 month later
#19656 7 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Do I miss something?
They have an employee that owes people money, correct?
I have a customer myself who owes me money for a year now, doubt that his employer will reimburse me. Or should I call their number and open conversation?
You guys are a trip....

At first they announce themselves as a completely unrelated and new thing ... so why the desire to even deal with MG?

My guess is that these news games will be based heavily on the Jpop games. When they do reveal, people are going to look at them under a microscope and say "heh - that is the art for MG, the ramp from RAZA ..." If there are elements of those games in AP's games... well, you can't just use the assets from another company without it linking back in some manner.

The plot thickens...

#19768 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

As per the article"
"PS: They were very reluctant for me to take any pictures, but after begging and begging, I managed to get the blurry, far-away one you see above."

Pity I wasn't there with my 20x zoom

#19821 7 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

I see what's really going on here.
JPOP is simply trying to get into the Guinness book of world records as the most prolific designer of games that never got produced!
Wake me up when he announces David Copperfield, the pinball!
The entire game will just vanish into thin air as you unbox it

Theatre of Magic was originally intended to be David Copperfield ... so he's already done the sleight of hand.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigger64.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=tigger64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.