(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (9 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sturner.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5468 9 years ago

I don't see why Stern would want to get involved in this. They seem to have a stable model in place and there are tons of themes to work from.

There is no doubt JPOP is a talented designer and a creative person. But this whole thing feels like funding someone's personal art hobby and not an actual business venture. Hope I'm wrong but even under the best case scenario, machines in the hands of customers is many years away.

1 month later
#8973 8 years ago

The saddest thing about this and Skit-B is there is well over a million dollars that could have gone to good pinball companies. Imagine what that could do for the manufacturers who are actually making games, part suppliers, even modders.

#9623 8 years ago

Why is this investor such a huge secret? You want someone to sign a legal document limiting your legal options, commit to more money, but you can't even state who you are?

If you're a legitimate business with a legitimate business proposal, you don't hide in the shadows.

#9637 8 years ago

Him being at the show makes it easier for a process server.

#9681 8 years ago

If this mystery investor has all this money and the ability to produce the machines, why do they need all this money upfront? Why not just make the machines and sell them to the public when they're done?

This is one of the worst deals I've ever seen and I've seen some really bad ones.

#10145 8 years ago

To be clear, Pintasia is a third party, and is not a part of Zidware the company or their liabilities.

If this is the case, why was the first e-mail insistent on not suing Zidware? I mean you're just a third party that is not a part of Zidware as you say. Just a licensee who worked out an agreement with Zidware. Why make it a condition of the agreement that you can't sue a company that you are not a part of? Stern doesn't care if I sue Marvel over a dispute.

And who exactly gets their machines first if they are built? It appears there is an overlap between the members of this new company and current customers of Zidware. Are these going out in order of who paid first, or do the employees of Pintasia get first crack? I think it's a fair question if the money runs out before the run is finished.

#10152 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

I'm going to bed however to answer simply, if john is fielding law suits all day every day then we cannot get out of him what we need in these machines simple as that. We haven't even begun to figure out who gets a machine first but I will be last. If there are fully paying customers it would make sense to get there's out first so there is more profit to get to those with loss but we will cross that bridge after we know we have a manufacturing partner.

It sounds like the machine is very close from yours and Pintasia's earlier posts. And John is not involved in any business decisions as was stated in the e-mail which should free up his plate quite a bit.

If fielding lawsuits requires every waking minute of his day, perhaps he's not the right choice as a consultant. Or perhaps the timeline should be based on when he has the free time to consult.

It just seems like playing both sides of the fence. On one hand you're this 3rd party licensee with no interest in Zidware and who John has no control over because it shields you from his liabilities. On the other hand, there was an agreement sent out requiring people to give up their right to sue this company that you state has no interest in your own. I feel those two things contradict one another a bit.

My feelings are that this proposal would receive a much warmer reception if that language was removed from the agreement. Since it was stated that Zidware has no interest in Pintasia, it should be of no consequence.

#10407 8 years ago
Quoted from PINTASIA:

Zidware's accounting is not our problem.

So why are you demanding people not sue Zidware? You keep saying their accounting is not your problem and their business is completely separate from yours. Yet you seem to be really invested in protecting them.

If this is about the license, you know that as a licensee, you are given certain protections under today's bankruptcy law. And if that is still an issue, just buy the IP directly from him right now.

#10524 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

He is not tying himself to John or partnering with him, just the opposite.

If part of the agreement states you can't sue John or Zidware, he is tying himself to him. You can't claim to be this wholly independent company when you put stuff like that in the agreement.

#10538 8 years ago

Worth mentioning that if the amount is under $10,000, you can file in small claims in Illinois. You don't need an attorney for that.

Also you can file a complaint with the Illinois Attorney General at the link below. They are surprisingly good at following up on things.

https://ccformsubmission.ilattorneygeneral.net/

#10871 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Happy to see a few green chutes of positive
I'm guessing this was part of the License agreement? Hopefully not binding. John needs to do some explaining as to where all the money went, in detail.
"The Licensee will be hiring Zidware’s founder as a consultant (in such capacity, “Consultant”) to assist Licensee in the completion of the design of the games, and a standstill agreement is important to ensure that Consultant is not needlessly distracted by demands or litigation during this critical time."

"Needlessly distracted"? That's disgusting.

#11140 8 years ago
Quoted from gcp:

Serious question - how does one acquire* the Zidware assets while avoiding Zidware's liabilities *without* John being on board? Unless John himself actually sees the writing on the wall and agrees to lay low and go along with this scheme?
* sorry - "license"

There are laws that protect creditors in these situations. You can't just give away your assets to avoid a liability.

No one here knows the details of the arrangement and it definitely is a gray area. It'll likely come up in the upcoming lawsuits and potential bankruptcy.

It's one of the reasons I think a clean break from John would be more beneficial. Either buying the assets in bankruptcy or just creating an entirely new IP with people like ZombieYeti who in my opinion is the talent in this game.

#11255 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

In case no one is paying attention, the FBI just closed their investigation into the Predator affair and told those that got scammed there to pack sand. They found no criminal activity. Think about that before you decide if you want to throw any more money at this train wreck.

I believe that was the local police and the reason was that no one in the State of Michigan had filed a complaint. The FBI would handle the out-of-state claims.

There is no harm in filing a complaint with the Illinois Attorney General (https://ccformsubmission.ilattorneygeneral.net/). Enough complaints would spark an investigation and for Illinois' many flaws, they are decent at going after consumer fraud. This does not cost anything but perhaps some time.

Also many of the people who are out money are out under $10,000. They can file in small claims court and don't really need a lawyer for that.

#11304 8 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

We need someone to ramp up real production. Not this trickle of one-off game stuff. Someone to compete with Gary straight up. I just don't see it happening. Not unless one of the game companies with huge pockets decides that there is profit in pinball now.

It will take someone who is in it for the right reasons with a ton of money to risk. As it stands, most of the boutique companies that have come along seem to love to create concepts but don't care much for the part in bringing them to fruition. They love soaking in the adulation from the community when they post a potential feature but don't like having to answer to customers who want to know why their game is a year late. They basically want to turn their personal hobby into a business with other people taking the financial risk.

I know it's a pretty pessimistic outlook, but I think boutique pinball is just about dead. You'll get an occasional company like Spooky that puts together the right team and makes it work, but that's going to be the exception. The financials and logistics just don't make sense most of the time.

Take a look at these recent JPop events. Assuming the new company's intentions are pure, does anyone really think a new business with no prior experience in mass pinball manufacturing is not only going to produce hundreds of high quality games, but also turn such a profit that they can make buyers and vendors whole? Stern has decades of experience in this field and I doubt they've ever earned a cool million in profit off one of their titles.

#11647 8 years ago
Quoted from PINTASIA:

Bottom line is this, the only reason Zidware customers are trying to sue or put Zidware in bankruptcy is because they think there is money to be had. Maybe sometimes people just need to find out the hard way...and no, this is not Bill writing this post. It is someone at Pintasia who has seen the hard work that Bill and Sabrina has put into this project and feels that they don't deserve this type of treatment by ignorant people posting on Pinside.

Why is your company so passionate about people not suing John and Zidware? Your company seems awfully concerned about liabilities you claim you're not responsible for.

#11659 8 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Suits will put Zidware into bankruptcy, which will mean that Zidware can't license MG or any other machine. They become assets for the trustee to collect and decide how to liquidate and pay off the creditors and convenience creditors.

They could still keep the license. The royalty fees would help satisfy outstanding creditors.

#11838 8 years ago

So is that really the person in those stories/videos because the Pintasia person seemed to imply it was not?

1 week later
#13938 8 years ago

I think everyone is being a little too hard on it it. The comparison to Wizard Blocks was spot-on. If someone brought that to a show I don't think it'd receive the same criticism.

#13945 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

How many people would consider MG if JJP was producing and Keith was coding?
At at price tag in line with TH?
1600 TH orders so far?
I'll take an MG for the same price over TH all day.

Are you talking a finished game I can have shipped right away? Because I would consider just about any game that I can go out and actually buy.

#13960 8 years ago
Quoted from Warbleboopie:

I guess I was alone in wanting to see one new feature revealed in the game. One. Just one.
How is it possible John did nothing "inventive" this entire time? If the ball floated I'd be like 'freaking fannn tastic' cuz honestly, at least he did something mechanically. Price aside, I don't care what run of the mill code and ramps you put on the playfield, if you spent half a million dollars and didn't successfully prototype one piece of hardware then jail time. That is all.

I know making a pinball machine is expensive, but I am really confused as to where the money went. If this prototype was filled with a bunch of unique features and toys, I could undertand how you'd blow through all that money. But it's pretty bare bones.

Then throw in the fact that he wasn't paying for the programming, wasn't paying for the artwork, and wasn't paying other vendors. Was he just paying himself a 6-figure salary to sit around and play arts and crafts a few hours a week?

#14018 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Context is your friend.
If anyone here thinks I'm being unfair by trying to help and defending & offering support those trying to work out a plausible deal, fine - 'like that's you're opinion, man'

The word plausible is the issue. The idea that a brand new company is going to produce hundreds, if not thousands of high quality pinball machines that are more complex than most of what we're seeing today is a stretch. On top of that, they are going to be so profitable that they can pay down almost a million dollars in outstanding JPop debt. Mind you, I don't think there has been a single game made in well over a decade that turned over a million dollars in profit.

You're new and want to be optimistic about this. But the financial stuff is just reality. Barring some dramatic changes to the cost of parts, labor, and the technology that runs these machines, there is nothing plausible in this.

And that's not a knock on the new company. The fact they got the machine to the show and even got it running is cool. I don't know how anyone can blame them for the status of a machine that they've barely touched. But I think most of the negativity is more toward John and what the heck he was doing the past 4 years if this is all he has.

#14749 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Funny thing about those patents,
They're registered to John not Zidware. The lawyer worked for free too and filed them himself.
How does that work if Zidware is bankrupt?

That would be good news for people trying to pierce the corporate veil.

#15530 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's a business choice... which is why I hang that failure on their lack of business plan and sense.

I know some people believe that he's just bad at business. But in my opinion, I think it's much more nefarious.

John isn't as stupid as people make him out to be. He convinced a lot of people to give him a lot of money. He convinced a lot of highly skilled people to work for him for free (didn't Bill mention he paid his overdue rent too?). He convinced a lot of intelligent people to sign ludicrous NDAs to keep them silent. He convinced a lot of people to rush out and defend him any time someone asked a reasonable question on the project. And finally, he paid himself a hefty salary while producing little in return. The fact is that everyone got screwed on this project but him. He's the guy who made a lot of money over the last few years. While I don't believe this was some long con, I do think he's a lot more Keyser Soze than Verbal Kint.

My belief changed when the game was put out at the show. There is no way a man with his experience in the pinball industry could put in 40 hour weeks for 4 years with a large cash reserve and produce so little. We have hobbyists on this board who have built fully functioning games in their basement on weekends in far less time. That's not bad business, it's lack of effort.

He paid himself a lot of money to rent out some space, buy some cool toys, and play arts and crafts for 4 years. Tough to claim he lacks business sense when he's the guy who holds the bag of money at the end.

3 weeks later
#16295 8 years ago

The crazy thing about that rant is he wants everyone to feel sorry for the only guy in the whole deal who made money. Everyone else involved is out money. From those who placed orders on machines to vendors that were stiffed to contractors that weren't fully paid. Heck don't forget the hours and hours of time people put into trying to salvage the project at the end.

But apparently those are the bad guys. The good guy is the one who was making a substantial salary over the years who didn't produce anything of value. Who misled paying customers and was such a coward that he refused to call people back and give them accurate information on the status of the project and their money. The mental gymnastics needed to turn JPop into the victim is mind-boggling.

1 week later
#16738 8 years ago

I still think a concerted group effort to get the DA involved would be beneficial. Sporadic complaints probably doesn't get them interested. But 50-100 people all contacting the DA in short order might get at least a cursory investigation.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sturner.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=sturner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.