(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (9 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider strohz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1019 9 years ago

So with all these posts, the one thing I've never heard discussed is anything about the software and the new system. I have no doubt whatever Jpop does as a designer/artist will look awesome; I think TOTAN and TOM are some of the best looking games ever! However, I'm really concerned about the software and rules, as you don't have to look any further than any Stern or JJP thread to see that good software can make or break a machine. Just look at past threads for WOZ, ACDC, Star Trek, Avengers, etc. and those companies have arguably the two most talented software coders in the industry working full-time on the games.

So if Jpop is still getting his cabinet and white wood together, how far along can that be? Has anything been mentioned with his new willingness to share information? If so, I'd love to hear about who is doing it and progress to date. CCC, AMH, WOOLY, Predator and TBL show amazing talent is out there, but look how long those guys have been working on them. Even if his design was "finalized" tomorrow, I can't see the software being done for a long time. Thoughts from anyone in the know?

4 months later
#4706 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Does anyone know what is the hardware John has running now in the game?

When I visited I was told he was using the Quetzal pinball controller (a modified version of the NEMO hardware) developed by Antonio in Spain. I've never heard him announce an actual programmer, but know someone was working on the menu system as far back as two expos ago. Whether it went anywhere or was scrapped remains a mystery to me.

2 weeks later
#5474 9 years ago

Actually there were rumors way back in this thread he was working on a Tesla pin and a Pussy Cat Bowling based on websites someone had found. I saved the image for that one as I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it. But that's the first of I've heard mention of a bible game so no telling how many things he's actually juggling

334432-i.jpg334432-i.jpg
4 weeks later
#7288 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

So if he's not working on art, and he's not getting a pinball flipping or working on code, what IS it he's doing everyday?

Anyone else notice that zombieyeti hadn't heard from him in a few weeks, yet within a couple hours of posting on this board John's magically been in contact. I guess that answers that...

#7294 9 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

The good news is he's paying attention? Actually I think someone here tipped him off that I posted tbh. But it got results - right?

True! I also want to add your artwork is truly amazing, and echo how incredibly talented I think you are. I have zero interest in the Alice in Wonderland as a theme, but the artwork he showed was so awesome I probably would have bought one anyway if they were actually available!

#7582 8 years ago

Interestingly, from his LinkedIn account he was mainly a teacher. First as the Director of a tehnology based collaborative exploring socially rich ideas in mobile learning, game design and education technologies for kids. Then an Adjunct Faculty for Columbia College Chicago teaching Toy Design as part of the BFA in Product Design discipline.

Before that he worked as the creative director at Zizzle Electronics, best known here for the cheap home Pinball machines.

I found it interesting he lists himself currently as Vice President of product Development for Zidware. Does that mean his wife--the only other "potential employee" is President?

#7585 8 years ago

I figured it might be for when the lawsuits come, well he's just the designer

#7779 8 years ago

For those not following the Skit-B debacle, I thought this was an interesting read someone posted:

http://www.inc.com/eric-markowitz/when-kickstarter-investors-want-their-money-back.html

There sure are a lot of interesting parallels in it.

1 week later
#8643 8 years ago

lachied said:
If buyers can get the parts from him somehow and drop a Proc into it I can start coding for it. I won't write the software for JPop but I'll do it to help those that have dropped the money so they can have some kind of game. ONLY after they get the hardware though.

Yeah, but do you have any art samples you can provide as I hear those qualifications are much more important as a programmer or project manager

Very cool project, nice to know some options might exist someday. Thanks for the positive post!!!

#8956 8 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

New video on the pinball inventor facebook page showing that they have to have custom glass because the regular glass is about three inches too short for his new cabinets.

I recall Dennis Nordman commenting in a White Water thread on why the ball hits the glass:

Quoted from DennisNordman:

The story about not putting glass on until production is not true. We would NEVER let a game get all the way to production without testing it with the glass in place. Besides that, it's too noisy without the glass and it's easier to tune the sounds and music with the glass on.

I guess Jpop should have paid more attention back then

#9005 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You don't get to be in the "early stage of production" for 3+ years.

And, if you re-read Nordman's quote he said they would never let a game get that far without testing the basic stuff like having the glass installed and shooter working; it was a design feature. So I found it ironic that a guy who teaches pinball school didn't also think to try it with the glass on at least once before his planned "rug reveal" last December.

#10240 8 years ago

John has done such a piss-poor job of record keeping that although he has had my money for years, I'm apparently not even on any of his lists. I haven't received a single email being discussed here from John/Zidware/Pintasia, and that's despite numerous correspondence with Popadiuk in the past year trying to get status updates, blog access, refunds, etc. That would certainly explain why he would never give me a straight answer on my actual machine number or how many were being produced, and instead sent me photos of his dog.

After all this, I have no faith in this project anymore and it sounds like all the new contract does is cost me more money for something that's nothing like what I signed up for in the first place. Unless the new company believes they can sell enough of their product to issue refunds to those that are done with this train wreck, then I feel the project is underfunded or dead anyway.

#10243 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Again, Bill has only had the keys for what... 2 days? And it's a long weekend. Give it time..

According to his Linked in page, Bill Brandes lists himself as President of Pintasia Designs Inc for over two months (since April 2015). I think he's had a lot more than 2 days to get his plan together. So far, I'm not impressed.

#10685 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

And yes, John has no business sense whatsoever. The guy makes his customers sign NDAs to buy a game featuring Ben Heck with whom he doesn't have a contract or legal agreement for compensation for use of likeness.

If that's true, then it is even more like Predator with fraud from the start as many of us were sold on a license that was never even secured! For the record, I never liked the fact that you disappeared from the project and my enthusiasm started to go down hill after that. Your webcast participation was a big part of the reason I got in on it in the first place and I love the Element 14 stuff you do.

Interestingly, when I inquired why you were no longer part of the artwork, I was given the explanation you had defected and could no longer be trusted to keep all the amazing secrets he was busy patenting. He was clearly concerned about it given your internet celebrity status, but never mentioned you weren't really on board from the get go. As you said, you certainly chose wisely!

#12497 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

9. I didn't / couldn't take any pics b/c none of the art, parts, designs, etc. belong to John/Zidware any more - all the IP is owned by Pintasia.

Interesting, did John actually tell you this? If it was just a straight up licensing agreement as Pintasia has been saying, wouldn't John still control it? Plus, there has been far more photos/videos released in the past two weeks than two years so seems like Pintasia--if they now own the IP--likely would have been supportive of that if it helps generate excitement for the product.

1 week later
#14183 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Yes. Work on the machine continues. It is presently on its way or most probably already arrived at another volunteers location. It did not go with Bill and these ridiculous conspiracy theories really need to end.

Whoa, when was this announced? They've been claiming for weeks that it was being borrowed only for the show and would be returned.

I guess the conspiracy theorists and script writers I've been chuckling at for weeks:

Quoted from YKpinballer:

It is already headed to NW so it will be very close to Brandes' home of Vancouver. Maybe he'll just take his boat down to the show and... you know... boat back. With some cargo. :p

Quoted from TOK:

You should steal it and head to Mexico. This tale needs more twists and turns!

Quoted from emkay:

still think the mexico tangent is a good next move & would totally volunteer to be the carjacker. at the end of every colossal failure (in my experience), somebody always says something along the lines of, "there should be a book/movie/etc written about this..." this isn't over until there's a Made-for-TV/after-school special.

might not have been as far fetched after all

#15315 8 years ago
Quoted from jetspeedb:

The FTC took action on a kickstarter campaign that failed to deliver or issue refunds this week. Maybe people should file a complaint here ? Dont see how it could hurt. https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

Thanks for the link. I went ahead and filed a complaint tonight, took less than 5 minutes. Based on the news that the FTC actually went after a kick-starter board game that was 1/10th of this amount, maybe enough complaints will get some attention on him too. If you've been victimized here, why not give it a try?

On another note, while I was searching for his address this website came up: www.nanoschool.org
[apparently taken down after posting]

Anyone else know he is currently the Director of the NanoSchool of Chicago? He's apparently also lead developer on a handful of iPad Games that are in the app store? As he's not a programmer, I wonder who actually wrote those? No wonder he was only working 14 hours a day, 7 days a week on pinball...he's got his director duties and iPad apps to fit in in between!

#15318 8 years ago

JPG attachments refuse to come through anymore. Gives me upload id error now and won't process them. Only happened since the new server tweaks...

1 week later
#15951 8 years ago
Quoted from Northernhuskie2:

You have the address, check the cook county tax records, the address is not in their names.

Not sure where this new poster is getting his "facts," but a quick check as he suggests would show he is wrong. The tax records do list that property as belonging to J&M Popadiuk. Interestingly, they had been delinquent in paying 2014 taxes but suddenly paid it and the back penalties right before the Pintasia announcement was made. I wouldn't be surprised if John received cash to cover that as part of the licensing deal just like his office rent.

#15994 8 years ago

Second mortgage? From what I hear he makes that much in a year

#16040 8 years ago

Unfortunately he wasn't taking Paypal so conned a lot of us sent him a check instead. And here I was thinking I was helping save him the fees...

But that's awesome news, thanks for sharing.

#16128 8 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Wait....I'm confused. Who were the mechanical engineers on Jdrops games again?

Kudos to PEN...just when I thought I'd seen them all that's a new one. I've been keeping track of the affectionate nicknames since this mess started and it's been a while since any were added:

Jpoop
Popadi*k
Popadookie
JonPoop
Poopaduke
Popash*t
Poopadeuce
JpoopyDukie
Jplop
Jflop
Poppadouche
Jerkpop
Poopadookie
PoSaduick
Jpoopiedoopie
Jstolemymoney
Flopadouche
JPlunder
Con Ponzidouche
Wonkadiuk
Popapuke
Jdrops

Whatever you call him, posting like these are shipping and everything is normal is just delusional!

2 weeks later
#16812 8 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I would like to do this if anyone can provide any info on how it's done? I would like to get everyone who got screwed by JPOP to take more steps to get things filed,reported and get the proper authorities involved. The more info we provide here the easier it is for more people to jump in.

I filed a complaint about a month ago, but never heard anything back. You can use this link and follow the steps. I choose Scams and Ripoffs-Other: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

They will want the business contact info. When I ordered a machine was:

John A. Popadiuk, Jr.
39 Sangra Court
Streamwood, IL 60107

He has since changed phone numbers and email addresses, but the most current seems to be: http://www.pinballinventor.org/
[email protected]

It only took about 5 minutes from what I recall, and maybe if they get enough of them they'll do some checking into it.

1 year later
#19697 7 years ago

Interesting that Aimtron's website says, "Aimtron currently has direct ownership of a mirror manufacturing facility in Gujarat, India. SIR (Special Investment Region), as well as partnerships with PCB suppliers in Shenzhen, China. We understand the importance of global sourcing options and offer these services at our Client's request." If manufactured overseas, perhaps the BOM could be lowered enough to absorb the costs given the original high prices?

#19704 7 years ago

I just noticed there is an article on Pinball News about this announcement: http://www.pinballnews.com/news/americanpinball.html

In it they say, "We have known for a couple of months how 25 near-complete Magic Girl games had been built and were sitting in the American Pinball warehouse. These, it was suggested to us, were to go to the litigants in the legal action, although on what terms they would be offered was not clear."

Interesting read...

4 weeks later
#20250 7 years ago

They did! There's an interesting documentary called Atari: Game Over about it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3715406/

If you don't mind the quality, you can find it on Youtube.

1 week later
#20327 7 years ago
Quoted from c508:

Though I am not willing to drop the cash for the docs I referenced in post #20256, I will get this one! I will post info when available (may take a day or two for the court to send it).

If you were willing, maybe folks would chip in so you could order the whole set of documents and post them? I know I would PayPal you a few $ to read the behind the scenes of this mess...

2 months later
#20551 7 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I agree, in Jpop's world, he is still ok per the Timeline paragraph in Exhibit 1 - minimum 14 months, but no maximum deadline, just the vague "reasonable amount of time".

Actually, his contract stipulated, "The purchaser may terminate or otherwise cancel their order at any time, prior to actual shipment or transfer of possession of the finished pinball machine to the Purchaser..." So if he somehow feels he is still meeting the contract in a reasonable amount of time, then he needs to honor refund requests per the contract. Otherwise he needs to declare bankruptcy, end this charade, and face some repercussions like Kevin is going through the accounting.

And while a lot here seem to think Jpop would have kept better records, I'm not so sure. I never was on any of his lists despite making multiple payments, and he never could tell me which machine/number I would even be receiving if they were ever made. I think he's screwed if Zane can get down to that level of scrutiny with him as well...

5 months later
#23594 6 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

a paper certificate with our game number on it

Funny, I've never seen one of those before! I just got an orange piece of paper with a sticky label and a t-shirt. What did you do to score one of those?

#23599 6 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Actually, now that I think about it, I did get a cancelled check.

That cracked me up. Don't forget the autographed signature on the back!

1 year later
#24252 5 years ago

Funny, like his pinball machines that t-shirt isn't even finished

1 year later
#24302 4 years ago
Quoted from taz:

It's been a heck of a ride for those of us who pre-ordered.

As one of those riding the roller coaster a long time I think you nailed it! Interesting to hear about the bankruptcy letter, and I'd like to think that maybe he'll finally feel some repercussions for all the shenanigans he pulled as so far everything seems to have worked out just fine for him. Curious to hear what transpires in January...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider strohz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=strohz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.