(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,545 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (9 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shrub_light.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

I just wish there were more details on the blog, there are almost no actual details and I'm an owner. The big secret is that there is no big secret. Everytime someone asks to show something it's met with "will show this later" or "waiting for the patent" because "this will get pinched".... I really don't understand why I signed an NDA because I can't really think of anything that I know to disclose. All the known info is already public knowledge (LCD, great art already posted to FB) any other info or specifics like shipping info, production status or who is involved in what fashion isn't on the blog.
There is definitely a game being developed and the art will be nice, I'm sure of it, but that's all I know and it's a little disappointing that I bought into the premise of a shared development experience.

Well you should know from the blog what the cabinet looks like, the basics of the sound system, who is doing the music and sfx, color proofs of the playfield, several of the toys he's working on, the lcd in attract mode, the wood and clear coat he's going with for the playfield, and all the testing he has done for the lighting.
That's just off the top of my head.
As for production status and shipping info, I think you might be getting a little ahead of yourself there. It's gonna be a while before we cross that bridge.
I'm not sure what more you are expecting besides having the finished pin in your possession.

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

My mistake in not being specific, I was referring to MG not RAZA. The RAZA blog is updated once or twice a week and usually has color proofs or at least some PF shots or cabinet art concepts etc..and a more lively comment forum. We know much more about RAZA than MG and have no complaints about that game so far (other than timeliness and the encroaching "other themes" possibly overshadowing the main theme).
MG...never seen the back glass, never more than a 6-10" area of the PF in a single shot, not more than half of 1 side of the cab, little in the way of proofs, I couldn't tell you a single toy on the game or what the ramps look like or how many of them, or the lighting system details, or if neon is in the game or a single rule or sound or programmer or artist etc...

My mistake also. I never considered you were talking about MG.
I'm not in on MG, so I had no idea you guys weren't getting similar info. I definitely see your point.

4 months later
#715 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Well with twd out and his theme having zombies as well I'm guessing the whole retro zombie thing ended up gearing toward Robbie robot and the alien guy. Makes sense they are both 50-60s retro aliens. Retro alien zombie adventure

What others on here aren't realizing is RAZA was never a dedicated zombie pin. From day one, it was a nod towards 50's sci-fi "B" movies. It always was going to have aliens, zombies and hot chicks in the game.

1 month later
#1860 9 years ago

I've been extremely patient through all this, at times even forgetting I was in on RAZA. In the last 6 months or so I have changed my tune and I can say I'm fed up with Jpop. I purposely didn't go to his shop during Expo because I knew it would just piss me off worse.
I'm in on a cointaker version and we were expected to keep up on our payments. I'm almost paid in full which is no small chunk of change for me.
I did just now leave a message on the blog echoing what you guys have already been saying, although I'm sure that won't even phase him.

#1896 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Owners also need to post thoughts and concerns on the Blog as I seriously doubt John will ever see this thread.

I did and my post still says awaiting moderation. When did that start happening?

#1905 9 years ago

I have never seen that before

Does my post even show up for you guys?

shrublight on December 17, 2014 at 9:45 am
Your comment is awaiting moderation.
I’ve had $9500 paid in since October 2013. It’s time to start giving us some info, time tables, etc.
John how well do you think Zidware will do in the future, given the current state of pre-ordering. I know I’ll never do it again. No pin is worth losing this much cash over.

#1917 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Under "Blogs I Follow", click edit (top left of screen) then select the blog (you have to be following it, just click follow on the main page). Under the subtitle "You get no post and no comment emails for this blog" click edit. Set both options to "Instant".
Let us know when you do this and someone will comment so you get the first thread email. Then just reply to that.

Ok done. Thanks! I'm at work now so I won't get any emails until I get home. I will post on there late tonight.

#1924 9 years ago

I just made a test post on the RAZA blog and it posted no problem.

I see your post. Tried posting mine again. Same awaiting moderation. I'll try from the email once I'm home.

#1964 9 years ago

Well Ice do we have any legal recourse? I'm sure since I bought mine from cointaker I would have to go after them, which would be unfortunate as Chris is a good guy.

#1992 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

I am unable to comment from the website completely. It says I don't have permission. I had to go to settings and enable email and comment notifications. Then I can reply to the email and it gets posted as a comment. Maybe that will work for you too?

I just tried posting from an email. Still says my comment is awaiting moderation. Guess I don't get to bitch on the blog.

#2019 9 years ago

I did talk to Chris from Cointaker. He's not real happy how things are going and has games on order from Jpop for himself. His money is tied up the same as ours.

#2023 9 years ago
Quoted from slapshot:

That is why I would expect CT would carry appropriate liability insurance for their venture with Jpop.

Chris didn't mention anything about liability insurance, but did say he has quite a lot of money invested in this.
He said the games will get done but Jpop needs to get off his ass and complete something. He most definitely agrees it's been way too long.

#2130 9 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Hey, I got a shirt so far.

RAZA.jpg 46 KB

I'm gonna take a shit in my shirt and mail it back to him.

#2155 9 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

I want a T-Shirt , who has one?

I got one......slightly soiled. I'll let it go for what I have in it. A mere $9500.00 cash only.

#2165 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Coin taker the biggest fucked in these deals. He's in on mg and then his own 25 raza and put up lots of cash. Feel bad for him. Great guy

Don't know if you saw my post earlier, but I talked to Chris today and he said he's got way more invested than all of us. Great guy for sure!

#2582 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

John won't communicate! It's coming to a head very soon, there is no "white knight" coming in and the US "crowd funding" is over.

that's what scares the hell out of me. He's out of cash and stalling, hoping somehow more cash flows in.

#2591 9 years ago

I was just looking through my paperwork.
The Timeline
Ben Heck's Zombie Adventureland pinball will follow a normal pinball development schedule of approximately 14 months at a minimum. Yeah no shit John, maybe 14 years at a maximum.

Then at the end of the paragraph, I about spit up my beer.
Any compressions, delays or extensions to the planned schedule, will be communicated in a timely manner.
I guess ignoring your damn customers is a timely matter.

Does anybody remember how we were supposed to be able to personally customize our game? You, the purchaser, will have an opportunity in the design process to create, select and/or change certain features, decorative parts, mechanics and/or artwork.
Well John, I select to have my money back ya squirrelly jack wagon.

#2608 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

He probably draws some sort of salary, but works out to slave wages I'm sure. Him drawing money is not the reason for running out of money, it is the monthly cash burn on everything else that he can't get his arms around.
These games are unique in that they have are fixed revenue. Only a certain number of games produced, most of that money has already been taken in. There is NO upside to spending years longer on them, there is no further money to make, and in fact he is damaging his reputation and business. Alice should be an easy sell out to his existing customers but obviously that isn't the case.

Completely agree. I was looking through old posts in the blog and seeing post after post of all the stuff he purchased to set up his "pin factory". All that equipment wasn't cheap I'm sure. I'd also venture to say we funded that equipment.
I'm purely speculating here, but I really don't see AIW ever being made. The pre-pay funding is over. Too many people, not just Jpops customers have had money tied up for way to long. I'm sure he has a handful of customers that got in on AIW but I really doubt there are enough to keep him afloat.

Quoted from frolic:

He doesn't handle the criticism well. Case in point, his radio silence recently, not even acknowledging the questions.
He is the definition of working hard but not smart. When people get critical he'll throw back at them that he is working 7 days a week, morning till night, that this has taken a toll on his family, etc. That is all true. But that is because of the poor management more than anything.

Is his radio silence really his ego at play here, or is it because he doesn't have any good news and knows he's on the brink of Zeroware going defunct? Wished I knew that answer.

#2610 9 years ago

I'm positive Jpop told me before he taught some college classes. Possibly that is his living money and he never touched OUR cash for his income?

#2682 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

At one time I really admired John, but he's seriously pissed me off right now.
I wonder what the verdict will be if he does deliver some great pins but in 2017 or 2018. Will all be forgotten and looked back on with nostalgia about how we waited 6-7 years for the pins?

Not with me it won't be! I'm in the same boat. Used to really admire the guy. Now I think he's a flake and I'm getting beyond pissed.
I don't care how great the games are or if they shoot off fireworks when you get a jackpot.
This is no way to treat customers that supported him and his fledgling pinball company.
I don't care if you are a multi-million dollar business owner, a six figure doctor or lawyer, or a comfortably middle class steel worker like myself. This is way too much money of other people's to be jacking around with. Like many have said, all he needs to do is communicate. You know, like we were promised in the beginning. We are going to be part of the entire process. I see how that was all bullshit now.
I don't want to see more of the same damn art work in different colors. We should be seeing pictures of the machines being built.
Zeroware will never see another sale to me, even if he was clearing out pins for 3 grand a piece.

#2712 9 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

When JPOP files for Bankruptcy, which will eventually happen, we will all ask ourselves how those buyers could have been so stupid...........The evidence is great, but the denial is even greater.

Did you read this entire thread? Many of the buyers including myself jumped in on this because of jpop's prior experience. So we're all stupid because we should of known a guy with 30ish years of experience was gonna flake out?
You could of said the same thing for any pre-order.

1 week later
#2944 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Would you guys agree that John is in Breach of contract?
His contract states:
The company will use it's reasonable and best efforts to complete this project in a reasonable amount of time. Any delays or extensions to the planned schedule will be communicated in a timely manner.
Last page has a timeline with delivery date estimated at 4th quarter of 2013.

Yep, I feel he is in breach of the contract. It wouldn't be such a big deal if we were kept in the loop on what's going on and had some idea of when these pins would be completed. Obviously he thinks it's OK to go into ostrich mode.
He's running out of time with me. He has time to post stupid dog pics (and why did every reply on the blog kiss his ass about the dog) but can't let his customers know what the hell is going on.
I can't see this having a good outcome anymore.

#3098 9 years ago

I wonder if anyone is paid in full on RAZA. (Cointaker guys?)
Most everyone else paid up to around the $6500 mark?

I'm in for 9500

#3105 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I believe John has said there were dozens of engineers to assist at BW. I wonder if he has any engineers at all at Zidware.

Don't forget he has an army of ex Bally Williams people on staff. All of which conveniently wished to remain anonymous.

#3107 9 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

Are you wanting or did you ask for a refund ? Or are you gonna get with Ice?

Originally I didn't want a refund, but I am so fed up with this shit, all I want is my money back now.
I'm in on a Cointaker version so my payments were made to them. I called Chris not long ago and was told his hands are tied same as ours. He tried calling JPop that same day and like everybody else got his voice mail.
I had been tossing around the idea of getting a lawyer but was hesitant for many reasons. I've been talking with ice and I'm behind him all the way.

#3112 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Will anybody, in their right ever loving mind give him another F ing dime for anything!

A handul of wealthy gotta have it now types wiĺl, but not enough people to sustain his so called business. Hell that one guy has been trying to sell his spot at a loss and can't get any takers.
This is probably why he was talking about getting an investor a while back.

#3180 9 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Although I feel for ya, if pinball and buying some high dollar toys was more important than planning ahead to even have 5% down for a house, you have bigger issues completely unrelated to the current sad state of affairs. I mean, if you had the game, you still wouldnt have the money to put down, so why even buy a toy if you had any notion of buying a house.

It's also possible he wasn't planning on buying a new house but his and his wife's dream house came up for sale unexpectedly. Three years with an uncertain end in site is a long time to have that cash tied up.
How can you even justify Jpop is in the right to keep people's money at this point?

#3186 9 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Ok, one more. Im am not justifying that. What Im saying its kind of silly to put so much money into a TOY that is not even promised for another 18 months when he cant even come up with 5% for a house without that TOY money.
Of course everyone should get there game or money back..

I know what you are saying but you need to realize the guy isn't Miss Cleo.
things come up in life unexpectedly.
Since I got in on raza I've been diagnosed and beat cancer. What if I had needed the money for medical reasons? Would you sit there saying that I valued a pin more than my health? I had no idea I would have needed money for medical bills when I decided to send in my money for jpops fiasco. Luckily I didn't need the money otherwise I would have been shit out of luck.
We don't always know the whole story.

#3211 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm now locked out of John's blog so hopefully that means I'm getting a refund.

Meaning you can't post or can't even get in to view it?

#3213 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I can not log in.
I requested a refund. I think he's cutting ties, hopefully this means I will be refunded shortly.

After he mails you a few papers to sign and you must sign up two new buyers.

#3233 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It's possible this "silent majority" combined with the smoke blowers who visit the shop are what is emboldening John's way of handling things.
He may very well see the ones speaking up as ball breakers who don't appreciate his working 7 days a week, yada yada yada.

That was actually brought up to me a while back and I think you are not far off track with that.

#3234 9 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Enough is enough. Just hopped on the blog bandwagon, requesting a full refund.
RAZA#40

and I bet your post says awaiting moderation doesn't it?

#3241 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

This is where it gets frustrating. If you can't SHOW, then TELL.
TELL US you've got a 95% shooting game.
TELL US the software is x% done, and you've got guys working on it.
TELL US production is planned to start in Q2 or whatever
TELL US based on your 33 years of experience, you can produce x per week
TELL US you've priced out the BOM, and with remaining RAZA payments the build is covered.
The reality though is I think that adobe video did pull the curtain back on exactly what is in his shop at the time of the shoot. And the other things he won't tell because he does not know the answers, or the answers are bad and he doesn't want to say them.
We've been on him for months now to tell us otherwise and he refuses.

Everything you just brought up has absolutely nothing to do with his ideas being ripped off.
It's completely asinine that he wouldn't have been keeping us in the loop on these things for ages now.
I'm sure most of us have seen the trend. The natives get a little restless, bitch about working 7 days a week, then throw us a bone and put up some pictures of revised art or an old toy he is dismantling to get ideas from. Now it's I'm gonna hire a guy......
What happened to all of those ex B/W people he had working for him that wanted to remain anonymous?
In hind sight looking at all the red flags I really feel like a sucker dumbass.
yeah and I know who you guys are that are shaking your head in agreement. I don't need to be reminded.

#3328 9 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

We discussed a bit about "how" he should reveal info. He seemed to think it should be like the Adobe videos. I said that they (the buyers) just wanted information. No need to make a big production, but rather keep those in on the project just that: IN on the project. No reason to take the time to do an elaborate video. Show them on a weekly basis what happened this past week. I also tried to convey the extreme importance of communication to him.
Not sure what, if any effect it had, but I can hope.
Chris

The fact that people have to try and talk him into doing these sort of things says all I need to know and wished I had known prior to sending my money to the asshole.

1 month later
#4338 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'd like to hear what will be changing going forward. Cause otherwise we're in the SSDD phase again.
There does need to be some resolution with unpaid vendors and refunds, etc. Those are big issues.

Exactly what I was thinking. If everything is financially sound why the hell is he stiffing vendors and refusing refunds?
To me this is just another SSDD. He told you what you wanted to hear like he's been doing all along to everybody.

#4442 9 years ago
Quoted from slapshot:

Hey Kim, I don't understand the purpose of your private Facebook site idea since John already has his private blog for us to communicate on. What's the difference?
Whatever you decide to do with your information is up to you but please keep me and other owners informed what you learn through pm's or emails since some of us have not joined your group.

One difference would be that not all of us were given access to post on the private blog and although Mr. JPop has time to post dog pictures he can't be bothered to give permission for all of us to post.

#4509 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

yes, there's a wait list for both games so it won't materially affect John's situation

If this is true why can't people get refunds?

#4712 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

It was a board made with Antonio. Produced by Great Lakes Modular, I believe. I wonder how that turned out.

Apparently with GLM not getting paid and not supplying anymore boards.

#4713 9 years ago

So let me get this straight.
Feb. 4, 2014 we had a blog post of J Pop opening up a box of driver boards.
These boards were a revision to a board he had been testing since the summer of 2013.
It is now March of 2015 and we are still at square one for the hardware?

If so, how was there going to be a flipping MG back in December and Raza last month?
If the hardware and programming are still in early stages, how are the games, as StevenP states, 90% and 80% done?

#4794 9 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

I've wanted to share this for so long but it just felt like sour grapes and I didn't want to crap all over everyones hopes and plans here. But watching all of this continue on and on and on and on and on over and over and over and over... I just can't hold my tounge anymore.
Seriously guys. Go to his shop and ask hard questions. Don't just oogle the neat mechanism he has, ask who is going to mass produce it. Don't settle for, "I've got a guy." Get the name of the guy and call him - ask about the production schedule, see how enthusiastically the guy responds.

I wished to hell you had shared this story back when I was being asked if I wanted out because so many people wanted in. That's back when I first started to see his bullshit lies.

#4983 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I guarantee you that it will be "brutal honesty" in public. You guys know me. I'm not vouching for shit until and if I can verify it, and John knows that too.
I don't want people paying another F ing dime unless I believe its a GO. And that is what I think will happen. If it gets down to a liquidation shit show, then so be it, but it won't be hidden and will come to light asap. I don't want Aaron and FAST to waste their time either.
Basically, what I'm saying to John is put the financial part out in the open and in "escrow". I will give everybody my honest assessment of IN or OUT.
Full disclosure, fiduciary duty, honesty, integrity and simply doing the right thing. That's how it has to be going forward.

You didn't answer his question. Are you going to discuss refunds with jpop?

#4985 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yes Shrub, that will be part of the financial discussion.

Thank you. Also see if there is still going to be a difference between the regular and cointaker versions on RAZA.
Last time I asked Chris he had no idea and if there is not going to be any difference, I don't think the CT people should have to pay $500 more.

#5005 9 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Blogging is a true waste of John's time, at this point. Finish the games, worry about the book later.

But it would only take 15 minutes to pull out his phone and shoot some video and upload it.

#5068 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Since we are at this stage now after 4 years and its basically F it, trying to be open and honest I'll share the conversation I had with Chris at Cointaker.
He's a really good dude and I think has contributed a lot to helping John and his "lighting" development. No charge for that of course.
Then over time Chris has sent approx. $7k worth of LED's at COST and John has simply not paid him to date despite promises to do so.
Now Chris didn't ask me to keep this off the record so I'm putting it out there for what it's worth. I'll report it, you decide.
Since I can't get an answer to the many questions that you guys and I both have I'll just have to fill in my own blanks.
Wouldn't it stand to reason that if John won't pay Chris $7k, for an "integral" part of the team and especially RAZA ("Cointaker versions), its either one of two things:
1) He really has spent most of the $$$ OR
2) He really is just that DUMB when it comes to business and getting shit done because you would have to really be STUPID to keep burning vendor bridges, customer bridges etc. IF you have the funds to pay people to help you get shit done and don't use the funds, then I'm just baffled.
My feeling is he has spent the last two years diddling around looking for an investor to drop out of the sky.
Just recently, "production was going to begin on MG in the first of March".....
The lack of honesty and transparency is destroying both John and Kevin imo.

Damn this post about the cash and vendors looks amazingly similar to a PM from last night.
I'm really glad/relieved you posted this though.
Most of you probably don't know that this cointaker news isn't new to everybody. Nothing has been publicly said about it out of politeness concerning airing others dirty laundry. More specifically, publicly talking about Chris' business.
I think now we need full disclosure, to show everybody what a piece of shit John is, whether he has any cash left or not. And I don't want to hear any crap about oh John is so sensitive, we have to walk on egg shells around him. That's part of the problem that got us where we are today.

I know he never intentionally set out to rip people off, but at this point it really doesn't matter if he had. I've seen so many scams from my dealings on high end video games and let me tell you guys he has been following the playbook to a T. Lie, stall, always talk in circles so your lies don't come back to bite you in the ass, rinse and repeat.
In every situation I have seen, it takes a group of people getting together to compare stories to start getting the truth out there, which is what has finally started to take place.
I've been in the same frame of mind as ykpinballer. None of this has financially added up for a long time.
How ironic how John was going to usher in a new era of pinball and as it turns out he has been more detrimental to pinball and the community than anything ever before.

#5074 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I can't think of how to say this without being really dickish, so just excuse my bluntness:
I think a lot (most?) of people kind of expected this one to fail. It was just too mad scientist, too weirdly limited, too expensive, too shrouded in secrecy.
I don't think a failure at this point, if that's indeed what we've reached, is really as big a disaster as what's going on with Skit-B and Predator. I mean, it sucks for everyone who paid Jpop for sure, but I don't see him dragging down boutique pinball. Just maybe the segment that's about hugely expensive and very limited projects.
Kevin's lies and deceit are much more evil. Larger scope, more modest goals, it was "pinball for the people", and now it looks like it's going down in flames, and badly.
I'd argue that's the more painful blow, in the bigger picture.
Either way, trusting these models where you pay up years ahead of time is hopefully a thing of the past, it's just a recipe for tears. If you want to build a pin, then do it, on your dime. Don't sell anyone anything until that at least is done.

I'm not taking your comment as dickish, so no worries there. In fact I would normally agree with you about this project failing except I, like others have said, felt this would be the project to succeed due to John's prior experience.
As for the secrecy part. It wasn't supposed to be that way for the owners! Part of the sales pitch was that we would be part of the entire process every step of the way.
Normally I would have never considered doing a pre-order. This was supposed to be my "one and done" NIB purchase. I bet on the wrong horse, which really adds insult to injury for me because I'm the type of person that rarely even buys lotto tickets.
I didn't even take the Skit-B game into consideration because honestly I had no idea what was going on in that camp. I'm to wrapped up in my misery over this to even want to read more bad news for the people in on Predator. I made my own assumption a while ago that they didn't have the rights to produce what they have been showing, but never really knew if it was a correct assumption.
This whole fiasco has definitely left me bitter, even if I would get my game or preferably a refund. Others have also said the same and I'm sure the Predator people feel equally the same. It doesn't matter to me if it's 17 grand or 500 bucks, it's too much money to piss away.

#5081 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The problem is people not understanding the reality of his experience.
His best games were made as a designer with a full fledged support team, computer hardware, parts, musicians, programmers - and a full fledged manufacturing factory.
Without that infrastructure, he has never proven he was capable of making a pinball machine....post Williams he had Zizzle games and a shitty iPhone app. Plus, the economics of the project never made sense. He took advantage of pinheads throwing money around during "Rare Pinball Fever" (MM, MB, AFM, BBB, TronLE, ACDC BIBLE, etc) without any realistic manufacturing gameplan.

Exactly! So with his experience he should, should mind you, know what he needed to get outsourced, hire people to do for him, etc.
Also according to what he has told us, he does have a manufacturing game plan. It's just nobody added in the nutball factor and the probable cash burn.

#5082 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

There's a waiting list!!!

We got 5000 wanna be comedians on this forum but that right there got a good laugh out of me.

Edit: Better add kudos for this one too.

Quoted from Honch:

Don't worry, I'm sure his lawyer will show up any day now and tell everyone that everything is fine.

#5146 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Spot on. I'm having to be the dick right now because many people are "being a little too nice".
I just want questions answered and then communicated to everybody. Bring out all the BS to light. If he thinks its in his best interest to try and hide all of it he's nuts. I told him that last time I talked to him.
I'll say it again, he has provide a clear "FINANCIAL PICTURE", of where things stand, who needs to get paid, who owes what, etc...PERIOD.
I've offered up all kinds of help to him, we shall see. What's done is done, need to figure out a way forward if there is one, and we can't do that if we don't know the financial situation.
He also needs to GIVE UP control of the accounting/financials to someone else, in a more fiduciary and transparent role.
Maybe he doesn't understand that? Who is going to drop another dime into a black hole? Not any customers or vendors I know of.

So how do we force him to show the financials? It's obvious we can't take his word on anything.

#5149 9 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

He's always been nice to me, but he's a nice guy right up until money is involved. Someone who takes advantage of the services and products of small businesses and intentionally lets bills go waaay past due when he actually has the money that was paid to him up front by his customers - is this how a good guy conducts himself?
The people he owes money to are also good people. Actually maybe better people. They were willing to front him work and materials based on trust.
There are people who are being a little too nice now. The way he conducts himself really precludes him from being in the good guy club. He's just a guy.

Wished I could thumbs up this X 1000.
I'm really not getting this "but he's a nice guy" shit from so many people. Nice people don't steal from other people and John not paying his bills is stealing. It didn't just slip his mind, he didn't forget or an invoice got misplaced. It's deliberate.
You guys ever get a phone call from someone saying they are from your bank or the IRS and need your SS#? They're really nice to you on the phone also.

#5299 9 years ago

I for one appreciate what you have been doing Ice, but I feel now is not the time for us to sit back. We have for too long which let John get us all in the situation we are in now.
Now is the time to lay into him and force him to get his shit together. If he won't then we legally force him.
I know I'm not alone in saying I care about my money.

#5327 9 years ago
Quoted from slapshot:

Does anyone know how much of the pre-order money went into funding the start up of Zidware, John's shop and all of the equipment?

I'd say John doesn't even know the answer to that. I'm sure it was much more than it should have been.

#5483 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Meanwhile we'll be lucky if MG is shown at expo at all, in any sort of state resembling a finished game, and probably no closer to the 19 games actually being built.

Now Now, the games are coming along nicely, better than ever imagined. It's his best work.
See, look how busy he is. He's gotta get these signs mounted....pronto.

11050766_942050345839506_5037804777760629228_n.jpg11050766_942050345839506_5037804777760629228_n.jpg

1 month later
#9169 8 years ago

We went from one scam right into another. Let's force people to buy in on a $16,000 game with no guarantees....again.

#9172 8 years ago
Quoted from jiffy:

This is a joke, right?

Sadly, no it's not.
I wished it was a joke.

#9606 8 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

thinking about it ...this is starting to sound like the best option.... for me anyways

I think you and ChrisVW are overlooking this part of the contract.

"No, I would like to wait for the possibility of production of RAZA and/or AIW
machine(s) which I originally ordered. Prices and credits yet to be determined."

Take note of the words possibility, prices, credits, and to be determined.

#9812 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Wow. Jesus. All along I just assumed John was a goofy 'artistic type' that wasn't really malicious with any of this and actually thought he'd be able to get the games done when he started -- but to actually tell someone to send in money for a new order after all that has come to light is unbelievable.

Exactly! I've had it with listening to people say he's just a really bad business man. Nobody could run a business into the ground this badly, not even an imbecile. A 12 year old could manage money better. This guy has lied and schemed from the onset of this. This is nothing short of criminal and he's still trying to play people. The guy deserves to lose everything.
And there are people still wanting to play along just to get their rare pin. Damn I'm in the wrong line of work.

#9813 8 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I'm in the same boat, overall soured on the hobby right now. Between this shitshow and Jack acting like a secretive d-bag about the delays on Hobbit (another pre-order I have) I'm just fed up. I don't even want to look at the ToTAN or CV that I own. I have half a mind to burn them in the Zidware parking lot to show John what I really think of him. I'm closer to liquidating my collection and getting out of the hobby than I have ever been. Just has not been fun for a while now. Sad!

I'm feeling the same way, except I have no Jpop pins to burn. I'm really trying to be patient thinking if I sell all of my pins I might regret it down the road. I can't even enjoy playing them anymore without thinking of the butt load of cash I literally threw away. It's sickening really.

#10268 8 years ago

I'm seeing a lot of comments based on the original Pintasia proposal.
The latest contract says nothing about upgrading to the cheaper MG at 2 credit.
It also clearly states that those wishing to remain in on RAZA and AIW will get 1 credit, which to me makes this pill a lot easier to swallow, but it still says the possibility of production and mentions no pricing on those 2 games. MG is still priced at $15,995. No way I was signing it with the language, price and credits to be determined for RAZA and AIW.
I'm not saying I'm for this, but I was completely against the first contract.

#12057 8 years ago
Quoted from SFM-313:

I am a fully paid up RAZA "owner" but I never got any email informing me about any new offer on the table. Also have great difficulties to join the FB owners group. Are other non-US buyers having similar problems? Can anyone help?

message MR68 to get on the FB group.
message wcbrandes about the Pintasia proposal.

3 months later
#17401 8 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Bravo; my biggest surprise is 100 people have not already posted sentiments to this effect on the blog (or wherever John can see) already!

I was never given posting permission on the blog. I've written several posts that I'm sure Jpop sees but nobody else can.
So, how many other of the "buyers" can't post?

3 months later
#18423 8 years ago

Hey JPOP here is how you get it done (see video below) maybe Charlie will offer up a pinball school on how to make a pinball machine with out ripping your customers off.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/y3qZSQWic5g?autoplay=1&rel=0

Maybe we can all pull our money together, one last time for our good buddy John, and send him to pinball building school.

2 months later
#18675 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

It was John's crazy attention to detail, that resulted in us not having a zidware pinball today.

No, it was John not having any idea how to build a pinball machine. His attention to detail, constantly changing the art work and talking about adding new toys was because he had no clue how to move forward on actually making a working machine.

7 months later
#20058 7 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I understand all the negativity from those who feel, and are in fact up to this point, victimized

Seems to me the majority of the negativity concerning AP are from people that don't have skin in the Jpop fiasco.

#20072 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

and that matters how?

It doesn't matter, let's have another 10,000 posts of misinformation, wild speculation from the self proclaimed experts and people bitching just to hear themselves bitch.

#20123 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

A certain someone has been a SHILL for AP so that he could get his position sold to some fool
That's worse than what Jpop ever did

I'm not taking any sides here, but.....
I didn't see this person you are referring to, say anything different than anybody else already said, that was in contact with AP. Did I miss the "pump and dump"?
For the record, I was contacted by a person to sell my MG spot and if I had a MG spot, I would would of jumped at the chance. Although I would of told the buyer he better make damn sure of what he is doing before money exchanged hands. I'm not saying that didn't happen between the parties of any supposed sale of a MG.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shrub_light.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=shrub_light and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.