(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,471 posts
  • 928 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

streamberry (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (8 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shapeshifter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#185 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Your ok with magic girl getting made in quantity more then 21? That's the new rumor..

I remember when the first 13 spots became available and I had a mad moment where I thought about pre-ordering.

Now it's 21 and talk of more games. I wouldn't be that happy if one of the original 13.

2 months later
#665 9 years ago

With the amount of companies trying to cash in on the 'great pinball goldrush', at some point there is going to be a car crash.

Sometimes you have to let go of perfection and settle for good enough - and get the game done. The irony is that the quest for perfection can lead to complete failure.

If I ever get back on the pre-order band wagon, the important thing for me is understanding the people behind each company. So far DP look like the real deal but never met them so only informed guess.

Anyway really hope JPOP delivers

1 month later
#1412 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

50 is a lot more than 17 and will devalue it. However, at this point in the pre-order mania, people just need to consider it this way: unless you ask for a refund, obviously the pin is still worth what you're paying for it.
Whatever the production run, if you still buy the machine you are deciding that yes... that is the market value. So no change there. The only thing that takes a hit from an increased production run is John's reputation and his ability to get investors in future "limited" production runs. If he's not worried about that, then it's just something you have to live with as a buyer. In the end, you are still paying the going rate for the product and that's your choice. If the increased production run devalued the pin below 17k, you would obviously ask for a refund, right?

I remember the day the first MG's were available. There were only 13 to be made. When I was thinking of buying 6 spots had gone and 7 were left. Part of the lure of buying was that only 13 games ever made. I thought about it but decided risks were too high.

Now there are 50. Still a small number but rarity determines value, if a product is good, so it's quite a big change.

2 weeks later
#1995 9 years ago

When you buy into a pinball company you are partly buying into the personality of the owner ( s ).

Unfortunately it would appear his level of perfectionism is so great that he keeps re-doing things in the desire for it to be perfect. Of course, perfectionism is an illusion. And as perfectionism is an unconscious strategy against 'failure', the irony is that the quest for perfection results in failure.

Even worse when using other people's money and being paranoid that others will steal these ideas. So much time and money gets used protecting these ideas that there is a chance they never actually make it to production.

I really hope these games get made. I have a friend who is down for MG.

#2263 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

OK BACK ON TOPIC...NO MORE ABOUT ME AND MY MADE UP GIRLFRIEND...BACK TO ZIDWARE and the status of the games...I won't post anything else that's not JPOP related, but you guys have to hold up your end of the bargain.
That being said...I've seen the playfield and it's fucking EPIC!!!! Game is going to be worth the wait. Playfield and plastic art went up yesterday.

Question.

Do you find people seem to give you unnecessary criticism as you go about your life and you just can't figure out why??

#2612 9 years ago
Quoted from Zaxxis:

Since he really doesn't share anything, it's really hard to say. Heck, all the money for the games could be sitting in a bank account drawing interest while he lives off money coming from apps, or the dozens of other ventures he seems to give time too.
Or he could be smoking blunts made up of $100 bills daily.

But he stopped giving refunds ages ago?? I think...

#2613 9 years ago

Time for some Yodelling......

Very impressive

2 months later
#5125 9 years ago

Perfectionism can be a curse.

27108663_M.jpg27108663_M.jpg
1 week later
#5555 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Great harm.
And now he's taken his toys down and gone home. People might have missed out on seeing the lenticular rabbit!
What exactly are the trade secrets? That he uses foam core to mock up playfields? That he ripped off the magna flippers from Twilight Zone?
Or is he just upset because now everyone can see how much time he's wasting on game three when he's screwing over his very first supporters by leaving Magic Girl in limbo?

So the AIW video has disappeared now?

Oh dear.

1 week later
#5987 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Yes, that's what I'm saying. I'm sure he'll protest.

You are 100% totally WRONG.

He is 100% legit.

If you are so confident I will wager you $100

1 week later
#6929 8 years ago

Trouble is denial protects against a painful reality.

d.jpgd.jpg
1 month later
#9114 8 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

And this may well be the litmus test. Logic dictates he gives the guy his money. If he doesn't, then the financial questions have been answered. Now a run of these would do him in regardless. This is where the rubber meets the road on jpop's future.

If one guy gets his money, won't many others also go the same route to get their money as well? This is one scenario where you don't want to be any where near the end of the line.

#9263 8 years ago

Beyond ridiculous.

4 years and not even a prototype and he is worried about damage to his reputation?

Sorry, it's gone already.

Reminds me of doubling down at the roulette table - rather than face the reality of losing money, spend more and have another 4 years wondering if you get a game.

#9309 8 years ago

And he starts the letter, 'It is with great excitement.......'

Maybe on planet Zod it would be.

#9357 8 years ago

Making pinballs is hard.

Refunding is hard.

Buying pinballs is hard.

#9374 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I don't doubt this for a second.

Kind of similar to Sheldon on BBT.

#9638 8 years ago

And with the new deal JPOP gets a nice cushy job for another 5 years despite blowing a million dollars of other people's money

'I have agreed to independently consult with the Licensee for continuity to complete the
pinball designs for all 3 games. The timeframe until production of RAZA and AIW product is 2 to 3 years post MG production.'

#9783 8 years ago

One of the reasons that MG was originally $16k was that there were only going to be 13 made.

#10143 8 years ago

No manufacturer yet.

Can imagine Gary Stern sifting through this mess.

'Ok, just go and hire that Zombieyeti guy and we are good to go'.

#10437 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Again, click "ignore" for this guy. Now he is spewing false information - the letters say 2 years for MG, not 4. The only forum comments this guy has made per his profile is on this thread, so this account was solely for trolling this thread.

Just shows how we all think we know more than we do. I don't know much of what the heck is happening but this poster is a genuine JPOP pre-order. Fact!

#10732 8 years ago

I remember the day the MG spots became available, advertised on RGP. When I looked there were 6 spots left out of the original 13.

I remember thinking $16k is a huge amount for a pinball. But with only 13 ever made, it could make sense.

But, the risk of it being made was high so I never got on board.

But it was the number 13 that got me tempted.

#11041 8 years ago

Ok, read way too many posts as it is but I am not understanding how Pintasia get the assets ( prototypes ) from JPOP? They belong to Zidware?

Is there a deal behind the one revealed with John and Pintasia? Has John gifted them to Pintasia?

Sorry, just not understanding!

#11047 8 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

The terms of the Zidware and pintasia deal have not been revealed.

Got cha.

Well, think I would want to know the terms of it if I was to throw more money at extreme high risk venture.

#11134 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

John shows ZERO remorse
Still thinks he owes us nothing
I want an explanation and answers from him. Where are the financials and where did our money go

The way people describe his personality, it would seem that remorse/empathy/mind of other are just concepts that he simply isn't capable of.

#11263 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly.
http://issuu.com/jackgtruth/docs/jjp_lawsuit
With Skit-B and JPop/Zidware going down in flames so close together, the last thing this hobby needs is for JJP to be next.
Damn this hobby has more drama than any I've been involved in!

Wow, 2015 will not be remembered as a good year for pinball.

#12052 8 years ago

You couldn't make this stuff up!

Interested to see MG latest videos as proto looked to play a little clunky.

#12066 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

We're getting distracted from the REAL story here. John took our money, and is now scrubbing the internet.

http://pinballinventor.org/

What does this mean? Re-loading'?

And contact address is new@zidware ?

#12579 8 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Thanks for giving us info and inside view of this shit show. love your work, go work for Jjp when it over

Yup, Pat's unlicensed game would look pretty cool with Zombieyeti artwork. Wonder if JJP thinking this way? Time will tell.

#13526 8 years ago

Well, it's TOM on an acid trip

Really though, lighting aside it looks pretty cool.

But, if it ever gets made it needs to be $8k max, same as Hobbit etc.

If 13 of these had been made as originally envisaged, $16k would have been a fair price point in the crazy world of pinball.

#13802 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky347:

More gameplay...
Watch "Magic Girl Gameplay" on YouTube
» YouTube video

Thanks for video.

Really though, take away the great Zombie artwork and at the moment seeing a game that looks unbelievably clunky.

If I wanted a game like this I would just go out and buy a real nice TOTAN.

#13937 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

It got my down vote because just like your comments, there is NO love for pinball or respect for human beings in general. I'll give you this for free - just team up with littlepeg and start a pinball molded line of urinals. Make millions and you can step in everyone's dreams you want without recourse!
And I've said plenty that I get the hate - I don't expect love for the game - and the lack of it isn't my issue (read my comments) but the lack of an iota of respect for bill and the team that TRIED to do something john could not - well it seems like the furthest from something a pinball fan should aim at - repeatedly...
I've spent the last few days watching a human being literally passing away and having the best attitude in the world and I come here and see petty hatred and no respect for anyone's efforts. Backhanded compliments don't count...
I'm done here.

I think you are too close to this project and you risk losing goodwill that you have gathered as from memory you have had so many great comments about your artwork. Now, the way you are posting is not doing you any favors. You could end up doing art on many future pins so think long term.

You may know what is going on but most of us have never met any of the people involved and the agreement between pintasia and John remains secret.

Looking at this thread, your art has been highly praised, the prototype represents 4 lost years and a lot of people have given a lot of time to get the game to the show. But motives of some of those involved could be altruistic or not - there just aren't enough facts to know so on a forum, all hell breaks loose!

2 weeks later
#16082 8 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Eating crickets...
Labowski...
Game on a rug...
The entire zombie genre...
Man, the guy just does not get it. Is he really that thick?

Ok, just my 2 cents.

But, wow his rug interpretation is so Asperger's ..........just so literal.

Anyway, to me it helps explain a lot of which doesn't make sense otherwise.

1 week later
#16292 8 years ago

Sometimes Jack does not help himself for sure. It is true most start ups fail so highlighting that was kind of odd. The Hobbit is so late now, it's really surprising. Don't think anyone predicted it this late.

The risks of pre-ordering are way way too high now.

#16343 8 years ago

Can't help thinking there needs to be more of this if in charge of a company.

18diary.jpg18diary.jpg

1 week later
#16664 8 years ago

Another example of a flipping prototype!

Archer pinball.

Nice shot layout.

http://funwithbonus.com/archer-pinball-machine/

2 months later
#17693 8 years ago

Well, did he say.......

Sorry.jpgSorry.jpg

7 months later
#18853 7 years ago

So, is the acrobat on the right JPOP on CV back glass? Or is this old news?

image-31.jpgimage-31.jpg

4 months later
#20122 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Here we are over 20k posts later and the story has only gotten worse today
It's one thing to slander another company and get ejected from that thread, but its another to execute a pump and dump SHILL designed to screw another pinsider or 3rd party out of his hard earned $$$ on via the AP con.
Horrendous

Did he sell his position? You couldn't make most of this Expo stuff up!!

3 months later
#20625 7 years ago

5 4 3 2 1

comic-book-explosion-boom-10708566 (resized).jpgcomic-book-explosion-boom-10708566 (resized).jpg

#20756 7 years ago

Yeah, no right or wrong decision but if I was in on MG and I nearly was, I would now grab the game as going to court can achieve some revenge but rarely adequate financial recompense, especially if there isn't any money!

1 week later
#21527 7 years ago

Doesn't sound like AP actually did that much. Games are clearly not finished but they are out there which is probably what JPOP needs re lawsuit.

#21535 7 years ago

Grainy playfield art was a surprise.

Pretty objective review from he who shall not be named......

Weird that the code is locked? Seems like code is the very basic one of a few years ago.

Many features not working. Big middle mech not working at all. Wow.

Having to put side decals on !! Only put 1 player on.

Needs a lot of work but potential is there.

#21555 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I agree here, this is the best thing Special K has ever done for the pinball community. At the same time, his $20K bought him the recognition he wanted. 2 birds, one stone. Congrats Special K.
However, none of this negates his issues, actions, nor his past.

General comment.

Narcissists really don't mind nicknames like this or being called narcissists.

Not pleasant being on the receiving end of narcissistic rage though.

Back to MG!

#21587 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I would think all of these questions were asked when the game was picked up.
* whats the phone number for support
* what is the duration of support
* what if I need parts, etc who will provide them?
* how do I update the software?
etc, etc, etc
If the game was truly non-functioning, I'd take it back and make him fix it. Unfortunately, If you had the game shipped, that could be a problem...

Maybe not..... I wouldn't let him have the game back as might never see it again!

#21624 7 years ago

MG sure looks pretty but I prefer the cool dog

#21852 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Apparently he wasnted, as he turned it around on that first vid, quite effectively I might add.
Special K, Courageous AND Confident!!!
Seems he can defend himself, SJW can stand down.

It's attention, of course he enjoyed it

I had to look up synonym's for special as was surprised this was taken in the way it was somewhere in another post.

'SPECIAL - better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual. Synonyms: exceptional, particular, extra special, unusual, marked, singular, uncommon, notable, noteworthy, remarkable, outstanding, unique, owner of MG'.

#21863 7 years ago
Quoted from BD_Designs:

Good lord you guys just can't get enough of bashing Kaneda, can you? Regardless of him being banned, he still has a presence here because people keep bringing him up. If people think he craves so much attention, then why do they keep giving it to him? He's been banned for over a year and yet people still aren't happy.
If anyone else had done a review of this game or posted videos, everyone would be singing their praises, regardless of how they thought the game shot. But instead, since he was the one that gave everyone a first-look at the game, he still sucks and the game is even more awful because of it? I thought he did a pretty damn good job giving an unbiased, professional look at the game - more than any we have gotten of it in the past 5 years. I understand why people don't like him and why he was banned, but come on... At least be a little appreciative that he gave everyone a great look at the current state of the game. If you don't like him, then don't listen to his podcast or watch the videos. Your choice.
In regards to the game, not only does it really look beautiful, but I personally think it is still possible for it to be brought up to it's fullest potential. It seems like a lot of it is "there" and, granted, for the price tag and delays, it shouldn't have to be finished by the owners, but it does look like there is a great game somewhere in that machine. You can just see the potential and I strongly applaud the wonderful efforts of ZombieYeti, Matt Andrews, Applejuice, and all of the other artists that had a hand in getting it this far! It's a shame that so much was derailed and mismanaged by John, but it's hard to deny that the game could have been (and still could be) something really cool!

I think there is a difference between 'bashing' and a little bit of light banter. Especially as he seems like a guy who takes it in his stride and hams it up.

This is the trouble with the internet - so many inferences, many which are miles out.

I have enjoyed watching his MG videos and sometimes listen to the occasional podcast. Anybody who promotes themselves this heavily will receive positive and negative attention - it just goes with the territory.

In reality, in real life, many on here would probably have a drink with him at shows. But, this is the internet

#21960 7 years ago

Wow, I had never ever heard that Special K was offensive.

My simple take on the matter.

K is narcissistic - observation.

Narcissists have a desire to be special.

Special K by default.

Back to MG!

#21979 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Didn't know that.. I don't keep up on drug terms.
Now y'all got the freakin mods going on this cereal/kaneda thing instead of the game. Chris owns all of you, best 20K he ever spent lol

Yeah, we are getting.....

2008_bitch_slap_wallpaper_005 (resized).jpg2008_bitch_slap_wallpaper_005 (resized).jpg

#22087 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Yep, CV's pop up bumper is another example. It was done years before but he claimed credit for it. (I've forgotten the older game name. Anyone?)
And on the private owners blog he'd have a hissy fit if other games were made with "his ideas". He did a rant when Metallica came out with the Hammer disappearing ball. After reading that I remember thinking to myself "Jesus, who cares? Shouldn't you be building our games instead of stroking your ego?"
Whatever, Jpop.

Gusher 1957 and Sea Wolf 1958.

#22246 7 years ago

One of Kaneda's best videos.

Boy, this game could have been off the charts good but we all know what happened.

Still, new code with existing mechs and it could still be a cracking, rare game.

#22362 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

at $20k starting bid? no, it won't sell. too soon.

Well, it has a bid already!

#22413 7 years ago

Lets face it, those collectors who used to think a MM or even a BBB was the ultimate showcase game will now want MG - looks amazing, 19 made. A true limited edition. Truly rare, not artificially rare like many LE games.

And gameplay will only improve from here on in.

#22465 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I love the philosophizing going on about this insane phenomena...but bottom line, somehow they made 20 or so of these things...they are basically half-finished project machines, and a handful of people are willing to spend insane money on 'em.
I really can't explain it and neither can you. I guess it just shows how crazy the very top end of this hobby is right now, but I don't think it really relates to anything else. Doesn't have anything to do with any other game or manufacturer, trends in the hobby or industry, or anything else.
Basically, it's just some crazy shit. I hope whomever ponies up the cost of a nicely-loaded Toyota gets some enjoyment out of their investment.

In the collecting world, nothing makes sense.

This blue painting with a white line down the middle........ sold for $43 million

If collectors want something they gotta have it.

blue (resized).jpgblue (resized).jpg

#22490 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Ice isn't calling for 200 more. He is calling for 30 more (55 in total then).
Doubling even from 25 of them to 50 of them is going to have little impact on secondary market. When Stern can sell 80 BM66SLE in no time flat then it seems there are plenty of collectors/ uber collectors willing to take up the extra stock of 25 more of these.
With some owners stating secondary flips of 30k plus, I am pretty sure Jpop has no legal obligation to hold fast at 25 built (heck he already increased that number 2x in the past). This honestly seems like the simplest way for him to put this all behind him and extricate himself form the mess he got in.
I would guess there is zero legal reason for him not to make 25 more and slowly leak them out over time. He could even do so and not disclise it to anyone.

But who on earth would pay for another 30 to be built? There isn't any money apparently.

#22503 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If he built them on his own he could build another 30. That will be an option for the bankruptcy judge to consider
It was part of the original plan to build 50 anyhow. Bill, myself and others were "on the list"
His comment to me was, "how could anybody think I reasonably only build 13, 17, or 19, I really screwed that up"
Before expo, "Hey John are you ready for the MG deposit? No, but be ready, I'll be calling you guys soon"
Expo blew up with TBL and the rug reveal and the rest is history.

The day it was announced and I 'nearly' bought a spot, there were only going to be 13 ever made? And then numbers kept changing.

22 July 2011.

#22897 7 years ago

In the collectibles market, keeping boxes always adds value - it's just a shame they are so big!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shapeshifter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=shapeshifter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.