(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (9 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinchili.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6071 9 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

What he shows is beautiful. Without any perspective it's easy to cheer for jpop. When you become aware of the whole situation it's boned.
56291818.jpg

What exactly is "the whole situation" at this point? From reading the past 3 pages it sounds like
1) Some people have asked for refunds and are being ignored
2) JPop continues to miss deadlines (although still seems to be making progress on games, just slow)
3) There are apparently vendors that JPop owes money to?

Has #3 been confirmed and are we talking about a large amount of money which is the concerning part?

Does this sum it up? Or am I missing other major red flags?

#6075 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

On an issue like this take the time to read back vs jumping in and stirring the pot.

How am I stirring the pot? I spent 45 minutes reading the last 3 pages before posting. I was just asking if I'm missing something else.

#6076 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What you're missing is John has: no programmer, no factory, no plan, no business. Just a lot of toys and art.

Oof. I see. Although, I thought this was the "production facility", no? Things looked organized from these pictures. Per John "Here are some “inside pics” of our massive woodworking factory and auxiliary build space".

https://magicgirldev.wordpress.com/2015/02/06/magic-production-facility/

#6106 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

No, this is a testing whitewood with working flippers. There is no need to use a printed playfield for testing. John posted a video of it yesterday. It actually was impressive. There's great music and sound, some very cool animations, and the inserts have nice colors and are working during gameplay. After seeing this the project does not appear to be dead at all. I don't understand how people can say no programming has been done when I'm seeing sound, music, speech, animations, and controlled lighting.

Maybe it's not "dead" but considering the amount of time that has passed I would have thought the game would be much further along. There still appears to be a ton of work left to do and the money and resources left available to John is questionable. Also, the fact that John appears to be ignoring refund requests is absolutely concerning.

#6158 9 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

And Jack did... and has done pretty darn well.
Difference is Jack ran a preexisting business. He knew what it would take to conquer such a mountain and did it. (not without plenty of stumbles and falls but he did it!)

No offense, but Jack has not conquered anything. I'm glad he delivered WOZ's to those who put money on the line years in advance (despite the BS they had to put up with including the 75th Ruby Red edition). However, he still has to deliver a bunch of THLE's as well to a lot of customers who have also put money on the line years in advance.

JJP has to be deep in the red at this point. DEEP. Seriously, if I had money in on a pre-order right now I would be seriously concerned. JJP had enormous startup costs. They endured the board issues and whatever costs were associated. They endured the lengthy delays to getting a game out the door. There is a reason they desperately needed an outside investor to step in. Unfortunately for them (and the new investor) it has been the same story with Hobbit. We're at almost a full year delay from when it was originally targeted for delivery (July 2014.) It costs a lot of money to keep paying for a large factory and for the workers (and everything else.)

Who still believes game #3 from JJP will ship in 2015? Do you really think JJP can afford to manufacture and ship #3 (cutting into Hobbit sales to boot) in 2015? JJP is likely the next major fiasco for pinball on the horizon IMHO.

#6166 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Keep ur Jjp crap on a Jjp thread...

A bit off topic but not as much as one would think. The topic being pinball startups finding it VERY difficult to turn a profit.

I sincerely hope that if and when JJP's current run ends that you will be revealed as the disgusting shill you have constantly served to be.

The fact is a lot of startups (including JJP) are finding pinball manufacturing to be a VERY difficult business to make a profit in. Sadly, the pattern is showing repeatedly that those who ask questions are shouted down and random buffoons like yourself who think they're such good friends of the various proprietors act out of stupidity as shills despite having zero common sense in regards to financials.

#6382 9 years ago
Quoted from Warbleboopie:

The unknowns that could cause this relationship to fail:

3) He doesn't understand LOE estimates, timelines, project schedules, testing, development and productization, but wants to own those aspects of the development process. He should be owning features, IP, integration, and the theme. If he tries to own the entire process it will fail, because you can't wear that many hats unless you've done it a lot, and even then it sucks.

^But this is apparently the problem. This IS why it has likely already failed. I doubt JPop will be so open about what money is left at this point and I see no way he gives up control of so many aspects of this project.

I'm sure you're a great programmer, but this project certainly appears to be well beyond just needing a first class programmer to save it. Although very brave of you to insert yourself into such a heated situation that may very well turn into something criminal.

#6399 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I'm withdrawing my official complaint against Jpop and will excitedly continue on with Magic Girl and RAZA.
I cannot and will not explain further. No private emails please.

Just to add to other's comments, this is precisely the kind of secretive BS that gets folks to feel like they're missing out on something and foolishly risking their money. Please look up the definition of "shill". You are playing the role to a tee.

#6402 9 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

Just to add to other's comments, this is precisely the kind of secretive BS that gets folks to feel like they're missing out on something and foolishly risking their money. Please look up the definition of "shill". You are playing the role to a tee.

PS - Also, how about none of you pre-order folks come back on Pinside whining about losing your money and basically asking for the larger community here to feel sorry for you and support you. Being selective in the information you decide to share is BS.

#6465 9 years ago
Quoted from ZidwarePR:

Want to see the marketing plan?

Just curious but why is any "marketing plan" needed? I thought the number being made is fixed and now sold out? Or no, that's not true, anyone can still buy any one of the ZidWare games?

#6470 9 years ago
Quoted from ZidwarePR:

That's a good point. The idea was this: if Zidware want's to rise above, then it should release its games in a way that is more magical and special. Would a fucking wizard show his game for the first time at some pinball expo? No way.

So the point of the marketing plan is to raise the exclusivity of owning a Zidware game and games will continue to be very limited in production?

And you're alluding to the point that the game(s) is much further along than anyone has realized, and at some point in the near future they will be revealed to the world? Thus, a "marketing plan" has come together?

#6594 9 years ago

It is crazy how serious some folks take posting on Pinside. Let Kaneda post whatever. If you're tired of him use the Ignore feature. To give him so much attention is silly because he probably thrives on it. Tracing IP's and acting like some huge conspiracy is going on is crazy too. It's extremely easy to cloak one's IP address if desired for just a few dollars a year. Better to not push a person to that point and be able to know who they are and just moderate them as need be.

A classic case of "you know you take Pinside too serioius when . ."

My 2 cents.

#6617 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Is he still banned from this thread? I don't really care, I don't see his posts anyways, I just want to know if John really is doing PR with someone who's not even allowed to post in the thread representing his company.

I think the real joke here is that John would feel the need for a PR person period. He needs less attention on himself right now, not more.

#6676 9 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Did you see Kaneda's PR job for Zidware? You were gonna get your machine first!

If someone had actually told him his game was not coming until 2017 he may have a heart attack before they could actually surprise him with his game. #PRfail

#6851 9 years ago
Quoted from Warbleboopie:

Okay, I tried, you guys are on your own.
1) John has already lied to me.

Given the seriousness of the situation with John not even responding to refund requests (or any request) can you elaborate on what lie you caught him in?

#6854 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

What if the only way we would ever see our pins was if :
MG was upped to 50
RAZA was upped to 250
It's the only way to get a production partner and make it viable for somebody to loan money to the deal to get it done.
Btw, it could happen with or without John, but people need to start accepting the increased production numbers now for there to even be a scintilla of hope
ZERO chance of making it with current numbers

Given John's erratic behavior and inability to make any real progress (not to mention you clearly can't get a refund if you want one) who in their right mind would pre-order a game at this point?

Combine that with the fact that John will never give up control of any of the work to date and this solution is quickly ruled out I think.

#6863 9 years ago

Beat me to it.

Seriously Iceman, I can't believe there is any scenario where you would consider loaning more money to John. The best thing you can do is get law enforcement involved and a lawyer. Explain that John has reneged on his agreement to refund and you've sent numerous requests. More pressure needs to be put on John to start being honest and transparent.

#7036 9 years ago

Why have the folks involved here not opened a criminal complaint in John's city and have direct contact with a local Detective at this point? What are people waiting for to happen? Are folks not following the Skit-B situation? Every single pre-order should contact the local police and file a complaint (assuming you've requested a refund and he has ignored your request.) Have I missed reading about people taking action? Don't wait another minute.

#7045 9 years ago
Quoted from vilant:

I've been following this thread for a long, long time (kinda hard not to check out a thread that is constantly bumped to the top for as long as I joined) and this my first time speaking up because I'm not an owner.
But has anyone else noticed the uptick in non-owners telling the owners they should press for legal action? I know why, I just find it...interesting. Curious if anyone else picked up on it.
Personally, the only thing the non-owners should be doing in this thread is offering support or possibly comic relief, not offering unasked for advice. The way I see it is this thread is for the owners to vent their frustrations (which is why you see the same thing over and over again, you have a lot to be frustrated and angry about).
Here's what I want to say, maybe the rest of the non's should leave it at this too.
I feel for you guys with skin in this mess. Whatever you guys decide to do, one way or the other, you have my support. There's not much I can offer, but if there's something I can to do to help, then just ask, and I'll happily do what I can. I truly hope everyone involved finds some kind of resolution that is acceptable to you. My hope is you get your machine or a full refund.
Signing off now. If's there anything I can do to help, just give me a shout.

It's called advice and it is being offered in light of the similarities to the Predator debacle. The only people who have gotten money back on that are those that were still within the window of time for doing a credit card charge back. Thus, I think it's sound advice that people should not be waiting on a miracle to happen here. This also seems to be much more than simply bad business acumen. I see many folks stating they've sent multiple refund requests with zero response from John. If that doesn't bother you then fine. Do nothing.

#7088 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

That's about how I read it as well sadly.
One would expect he would answer the primary questions everyone has:
1) How much money is left?
2) How much money has been spent and on what exactly has it been spent ((ie. how much have you paid yourself in salary and/or consulting fees JPop)?
3) How much money is needed to build out your first game (ie. do you have to steal from Peter [Raza, AIW] to pay Paul [MG])?
4) Can you generate a real timeline set with actual goals along the way? Something other than, "games will start being produced in two months". A real path to manufacturing needs to be laid out.

Pretty much identical to the questions I said Kevin needed to answer. If John doesn't want to be sued, he better have a very accurate accounting of everyone's money to show it all went directly towards producing these game(s). Unfortunately, this will get very complicated because John kept starting new projects before finishing the first. So someone who financed game #1 may suddenly have been financing the development of game #2 (how he splits up his accounting for time spent on each game will be a mess.) Also, unlike Kevin I'm sure John was smart enough to actually incorporate so his personal finances are likely protected.

In the end though, I'm not sure there are any criminal charges here? He wasn't using someone else's IP for free and he didn't misrepresent anything in order to get people's money?

#7091 9 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Shipping dates.

If that was criminal I think Jack could have been sued as well, no? (a few times.)

#7094 9 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Difference is, Jack refunded $$ when asked. ...and communicated.

I certainly agree with you here but the point is when did JPop start ignoring refund requests? Before or after the last "promised date" for something? It's up to the detective(s) to determine criminal intent but I suspect it will be harder in this case than it was in Skit-B's case.

#7103 9 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

I find this contemptible. The pinside wave is a wave of customers and vendors sharing their stories. All of the stories have been corroborated and unfortunately for John, his bad behavior came to light.
I'm speechless at this point.

While I certainly feel bad for pre-order people on one hand, they knew the risks (even if they didn't give those risks enough credence.) If you think any manufacturer relying on pre-order money is immune to going bankrupt you're wrong. Accept that you're taking a real risk. The manufacturer obviously does not have to disclose to you how financially healthy they are. When you see red flags don't dismiss them just because the next guy (or gal) does. History will repeat itself as we're seeing here.

#7138 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

The point is it looks like a good design and stern would not have to limit it to 15 machines. They could make 1500-2000 of them and make a lot of money. They wouldn't have to pay John, they would just have to give the 15 machines to the people who paid for them. It's pretty simple, at least in thought Egos tend to screw things up at the worst times though.

Which design are you referring to? There hasn't been a flipping whitewood yet, right? So aside from some cool artwork and theme what else is there? Stern would buy incomplete game designs? And do you think John considered BOM cost in his designs like Stern does? And how do the pre-order folks not feel screwed regardless since they were expecting a game with exclusivity and they paid significantly more than what Stern could sell them for.

No way this option happens despite it being a nice thought that someone would bail John out.

#7148 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I posted this in the private facebook group:
I spent 90 min on the phone with John today and I must say I went from total despair to somewhat hopeful! I still think these games can be built, John is working on a few things and I felt good about our conversation. I told him the same thing everyone else has been telling him Communicate with your owners & show your work to all.... Now is the worst possible time to cut off communication! I think he gets it but we shall see.
EOM

What are the 5 phases of grief again? Oh yes, stage 1, denial.

#7172 9 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

When you take a million plus of other peoples' money, you just have to goddamn deliver and be a professional. To be flippant with that amount of cash, not have a plan to deliver and not discipline oneself to meet schedules and customer expectations is criminal to me.

Given what he has shown, I just cannot imagine where a million dollars would have gone. IMO, he had to be paying himself a large salary. I have to think that opens himself up to damages (personally) if the court does not find that amount of money to be very reasonable.

Also, if John could take another month or two and put each of these games as close to a finished whitewood as possible I could foresee a large auction. Auction off all prototypes, artwork drawings, translights, playfields, etc (everything!) and take all of the money raised from that and distribute it back to the pre-order people. It might bring back a good chunk of the money.

#7215 9 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Hello all - I'm the artist on JPOPs 'recent' machines - I haven't heard for him in a few weeks and started doing some diggin which led me here - can someone summarize what is going on? thanks in advance!

Hey! I've looked over your website and your artwork is incredible! Great stuff!! Welcome to Pinside.

For others:
http://www.zombieyeti.com/

#7249 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I put zero, I mean zero stock in his chicken shit threats of litigation. By doing so, he opens himself (and his books) up in court to **prove** his claim. It would be the all time most imbecilic move on his part. I truly believe he's twiddling his thumbs until someone forces his hand. I think he knows he's painted himself in a corner.

I'm confused what he could possibly sue for? I would have assumed the NDA was only in regards to not revealing game info that he himself did not reveal first? Since when is simply airing frustrations and talking about someone/something else illegal?

#7260 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

People want communication from JPop and he gives some and look what happened.

I think people were looking for him to communicate the progress he has made (that a few have hinted that they've seen with their own eyes) and an updated project timeline that was realistic to have games built and shipped.

What they weren't expecting him to communicate was that he is basically broke, he has no plan, and he has hired a lawyer. Oh, and Pinside apparently shoulders the blame?

#7274 9 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

If lawdog is right and it works out, first round is on me.

I do not think it would be wise for any pre-order person to sit idly by and simply cross their fingers that this works out. If John is not willing to "open up his books" to you so you know exactly how much money is left I would highly recommend doing what the Skit-B folks did. Contact John's local police department and open a complaint. Allow them to conduct an investigation and determine where the money went, what is left, and if there was any criminal activity involved (either intentional or unintentional).

If John does not have enough money to refund those that had asked then he certainly must not have the money to build X number of games. It does not matter at all how complete any game's design is. Not even if it was 100%. The problem is (apparently) that there is no money to build the games, period. No other manufacturer will touch this with a 10 foot pole.

#7338 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Here is the funny thing. As many people that would line up for a Jpop pin ( before the fiasco), having seen Yetis work I think double or triple would be running to the pin company that made a game with his art. And yes just for the art!

I love his art but I'm not sure I would buy a pin on that alone. Additionally, I do think JPop has some talent of his own as an art director so some credit due there. But lastly, Zombie Yeti's skills would probably best shine on an unthemed pin (since studios are so picky about their IP) and this would really test what the market is for unthemed pins.

#7342 9 years ago
Quoted from D1P:

One million dollars IF you already have a fully functioning pinball manufacturing company. At least 3 times that if you don'.

It depends what you bring to the table I think. I look at Gerry and his company Multimorphic. They do not have 3 million dollars invested to date. They do not have a dime of pre-order money right now. They've developed something incredible, new, and unique (whether you're a fan of P3 or not) and they've done it all on their own dime. It is possible. Those taking millions of dollars and "failing" are not excused.

#7347 9 years ago
Quoted from D1P:

Sure, but production has not started. I'm 100% in Gerry's corner but the expensive part, production, has not yet started.

I hear ya, but JPop somehow managed to blow through upwards of 1 million dollars without ever even showing a working whitewood! Gerry has shown a fully working (nearly complete?) P3 prototype without taking pre-order money. He also creatively advertised for investors which will easily allow him to build the first several games to be for sale. The point is he has intentionally tried to find a way to create a successful pinball business without risking hundreds of pinhead's money and hurting the hobby. This is beyond admirable IMO. I look at JPop (who I am a fan of) and I'm bothered by his ego being the contributing factor that caused him to fail and (completely opposite of Gerry) doing serious damage to the hobby in the process. Night and day.

#7470 9 years ago

Since we're a little off topic at the moment (and discussing Yeti's talent), some of you may know that I've long been a critic of the character sculpts of a particular manufacturer. Take at a look at this Character Artist (specializing in sculpture.) AMAZING. I don't care what material you choose to make the final product, find an artist like this to design the molds. I realize painting/coloring can only be so detailed due to mass production. However, look at this person's resume and skills. Here is a small sculpt he did of an orc (a "daily speed sculpt" exercise" he says.) WOW. Get him hired too Aurich!!

https://tomparkersartdump.wordpress.com/gallery/speed-sculpts/

orc.jpgorc.jpg

#7473 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Plus, that thing is going to be struck with a steel ball. Repeatedly. It'll never hold up with all those thin appendages.

No offense, but I seriously wish people would stop using this same straw man argument that is completely false. It's the material you use that is either tolerable to impact or not. You CAN have great detail and have an incredibly durable figure.

I have the Mezco figures for Breaking Bad. They have a fantastic amount of detail. They could withstand a million pinball shots without a chip. They are mass produced. It's not rocket science or impossible (and reminder, we're not even talking about bash toys here). If it really was an issue of not being able to mass produce something at a rate to which you could profit someone would have solved the problem. That's been the story for the past 150 years.

http://kastorskorner.com/wp/2013/02/09/mezco-jump-2013-pre-toy-fair-showcase/

#7477 9 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

You are correct about materials. Of course, everything has its costs.

I agree! But Mezco figures cost about $20 each. Again, mass produced and very durable. When toys are typically the central figures in an 8K+ machine, you might want to "splurge" and go for the $20 (or even $50 in smaller quantity?).

#7482 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I don't care what material you use to mold it, if it's softer than steel it will eventually break or get worn. It's no straw man, it's simple physics. If it's not a bash toy, it'll hold up longer.

I bet I can destroy any existing pinball "toy" (Williams, Stern, JJP, whatever) before you can destroy or even damage one of the Mezco figures. I'm "trying" to destroy one right now for a custom project and it is absolutely remarkable what it can withstand. Point being, the quality of art (the detail) in a figure and its' ability to withstand the impact from a pinball have no relation.

#7539 9 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

If/when we ever seek outside funds I hope it would be to execute a well thought out plan that is exciting and provides a proper upside for investors. Not everyone has the stomach for that kind of risk. I certainly don't want to make any customer feel like they are embarking on a relationship with undue risk.
Aaron
FAST Pinball

Too soon.

#7590 8 years ago

I just got an email from JPOP it sounds like he has a couple pinsiders there and they are "playing MG"... He said they are shooting video, hopefully it gets posted to to the blogs & Facebook soon.

Whether he can prove there is a working game or not, what is the point? He doesn't have the money to manufacture everyone's games, correct? So until he can provide a solution for how he plans to deliver what he promised for the price paid, who cares? He has clearly mismanaged this from the start and anyone getting false hope from this might want to temper their excitement IMO. Albeit I agree it would be nice to at least see video of how Magic Girl came together.

#7594 8 years ago

Ok your right "what's the point" I won't post info in this thread anymore as it has clearly upset you! I will keep any new info on the private owners group.... After all its not like this is the "JPOP update thread"

Easy tiger, I didn't mean to insult you. I was only pointing out that John trying to show progress is just more delaying of the inevitable. Folks are no closer to getting their games. He needs a solid plan right now. What he's showing now should have been shown a year ago.

#7651 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I played MG the last two days.
That wasn't a lie.

Just curious but where did the code stand? How many modes, etc did you see?

#7660 8 years ago

You're dragging me into this again?? It was ONE comment meant more for JPop than yourself (or anyone else) and you want to continue to blow it out of proportion? Get over it.

AND P.S - YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A PRE-ORDER PERSON TO BE VERY CONCERNED (EVEN UPSET) ABOUT THE NEGATIVE IMPACT FAILING PINBALL START-UPS HAS ON THIS HOBBY.

#7673 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Concrete, you are one of the best dudes on this whole site!
I completely agreed with you, as pretty much everyone else here did, when you made your comments about PinChili's prior post. You were spot on. It's ridiculous to have positive news bashed on like it was with that post.

Ever feel like you've been hit by a bus only to have the bus back up over you and run you over again and again? Fun stuff.

Do you not find it a little ironic that you're lambasting me for pointing out Concrete's "update" (where is that video again?) changes nothing with the current situation while you are simultaneously asking for clarification on what the update (game differences) actually were?

#7689 8 years ago

4) Don't have the resources to build games in this quantity so #Fail

#7732 8 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

What nonsense! You're speaking like you know all of the folks who placed pre-order money with JPOP. Every pinball dollar wasted with Zidware is money I won't have to buy something else. Look man, if you don't know, don't talk. Guess I'm an "elite collector." I should tell my wife that I can now pick up any game I like cuz I'm an elite collector now that I've been f&(!ed by JPOP.

It was just a generalization. I'm confident he meant no offense. I'll admit I was extremely close to pulling the trigger on MG because I really am (was?) a huge JPop fan. Theatre Of Magic was my first love. But I would certainly not consider myself an "elite collector". Just an unwise spender of money.

#8073 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Not to be too much of a giant cock (this is a little cockish though, I admit it) I do think it's funny that a couple years ago I would get 30 downvotes for saying something about how the Jpop stuff didn't feel right to me. Then fast forward two years, I say the exact same things, and I get 30 upvotes.
It's hard when you're caught up in the excitement to see the context. I experience that myself for a brief period with TBL.
After Jpop, after Predator, I just think we should be better about not trying to shout down skeptics. Sure, some of them are jerks and trolls. But look past that and try and look at the arguments, some people might be pointing out uncomfortable truths.

#8285 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I want my pinball machine, I'm NOT letting it go. John needs someone to kick him in the ass not kiss his ass. Sorry

I get your passion for wanting your game but is it really worth the continued years of frustration at this point? All of the options you've presented so far are seriously flawed. John is not providing accounting information because it's clearly very bad. Have I missed someone actually getting a refund that has been requesting one repeatedly? Major red flag. I think pre-order folks are wasting their own time (and sanity) at this point if they're not pursuing legal avenues for recovering their money. Plain and simple. Otherwise, you'll still be having this exact same conversation a year from now.

#8548 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If someone wants to send me information (assuming it is enroute/ in chicago land area) then I can try to stop by as your representative.
I have not been paying full attention to this saga so i would need to be briefed on what I need to look for and what questions need to be answered.

I find it curious that your first post about possibly visiting John was flagged by the mods with "Pinside does not condone ever going to someone in person for any reason uninvited". I agree that showing up at another Pinsider's home uninvited is a bad idea but in this case, showing up at a place of business to ask "what the hell is going on?" seems reasonable. Invite or not.

#8634 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Designing in CAD is great, but the physics of a pinball does not bow to a CAD drawing. I know in my experience you don't really know if you got it right, until you play it -- but I'm not a professional like jpop

For the majority of a pinball layout I can understand this. However, aren't we talking about a return lane plastic trough here? Where would the ball get hung up? What has to be so right? The ball comes into the trough and gravity does the rest. I must be missing why these are hard to get right.

#8638 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

We are talking in general terms about the creation of plastic ramps, subways, etc, not just returns. I gave the one example where if the exit from the ramp is not right you can get undesirable bouncing to the outlane -- something I am sure everyone here has experienced on a game at some point. If you look at games over time you will see how things evolved to improve how they exit (e.g. tear drop shape.
Recently the DP guys had an issue with the subway on TBL, being too tight and the ball getting caught. They did the part with a 3d Printer and were able to a adjust the design to get it right. Probably good that they figured this out before getting a mold made and making hundreds. I'm sure when they first drew it up it looked fine.
I wonder what iteration of the White Water insanity falls ramp they added the 'exit' so that if the ball did not make the climb successfully it could exit, and I wonder at what point they decided to add the small 'cover' piece to keep the ball from flying off on the way down. Maybe they got that right the first time, I don't know, but my point being, when you make this stuff, you don't know what you don't know.

Ahh I see, thanks for the clarification Rosh.

1 week later
#9398 8 years ago

Just read about the latest 199 MG's at 16k news and cannot stop laughing. It might as well have first appeared on The Onion. Can you say delusional? Still sorry for the folks who were (are) onboard and can't get out. I certainly wouldn't view this "plan" as any glimmer of hope. The only thing JPop can try and do is find an outside investor to fund his business and complete these games as originally promised. Raising more capital from pinheads already disgusted with him is not happening.

#9410 8 years ago

Anyone willing to sign legal forms from John that would essentially remove him from all liability of your money would be absolutely insane.

Where are the Pinside lawyers here? Obviously John did not just GIVE the rights to MG, RAZA, etc. to this unnamed licensee? Obviously if they are licensing these titles John must be receiving money? Should existing customers not immediately file a lawsuit against Zidware? How the hell can he claim "to be clear, no refunds will be given to existing customers as I simply don't have the funds"? That just blows me away he would say that while he clearly still hopes to profit from the license?

#9546 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

There IS an investor. One we are very lucky to have.
I'll let him reveal himself. He's doing it for love of pinball. Who else is gonna jump into this shitstorm?
Option A. Don't agree to this. Sue John personally. Zidware is broke. Good luck with that
Option B. Agree to this and you get a pinball machine. Investor is risking over 1 million bucks
We all knew there would be more MGs to make the numbers work
You get John OUT of the $$$ part. What more do you want?

Please tell me this person's name is not David Richter (AKA SJ1000 on Pinside?). He has claimed to have millions of dollars and to invest in other Pinball companies including most recently trying to bail out JJP (that is his claim, not mine.) Much talk. Little realistic action.

#9555 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Don't tell me who I know and who I don't. I know who the new guy is and it's not my place to "out" him. He can step forward when he wants.

You're stating you know the investor personally and have not just been told a name? Again, I really hope this person's name is not David Richter because that would really be another good laugh.

#9568 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's not. Guy is legit. Believe me or not. No biggie

It's not that I don't believe you but I am curious of what you know so confidently that makes him so legit? A big name in pinball that everyone knows? A close friend of yours that you have intimate knowledge of his finances and business prowess?

#11608 8 years ago
Quoted from PINTASIA:

Thank you for that...It is apparent to us that there are people on Pinside who do not want Pintasia to succeed. We understand, there are people in every crowd who find comfort in seeing people fail, as they can't be happy with the success of others due to their own situation. These people wish to see that purchasers of Zidware products lose all their money.

It's simply not true that critics are people who want to see failure. While it's noble of Bill to so graciously want to help, he better be prepared for some scrutiny. Get some thick skin. Because some people may just view this as delaying the inevitable and hurting people's chances of recouping their down payments NOW. There are real questions that can and should be asked IMO such as:
What is Bill's experience in manufacturing anything?
What is Bill's personal skill set when it comes to the different aspects of building a pinball game?
Where did the 16k number come from? (How was that determined to be the magic number?)
Beyond getting a half-baked prototype game to NGC what is the timeline thereafter?
Will you have to wait for X number of orders at 16k before deciding to move forward?
DETAILS DETAILS DETAILS.

Because, as I said, the best chance for people to recoup money invested is to start legal action NOW and the longer they wait the harder it will get. As others have noted, the money shouldn't have just disappeared and I believe there is a real opportunity to recover money from John personally if he just paid himself some ridiculous amount of money.

#11614 8 years ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

I would encourage any and all to go to the northwest show and meet mr Bill and the Pintasia crew.
Very down to earth no BS kind of people, freindly and easy to talk to. A

You mean like Jack? Like Kevin? And like JPop? Down to Earth and willing to talk to anyone with a smile on their face means NOTHING. That is a quality of any good con man. Talking. Pointless.

Put forth a highly detailed plan/timeline and the backup plan when something doesn't go according to schedule. Show me why anyone will pay 16K for this game. Tell me why your personal experience is so well suited to being able to manufacture pinball machines when we've watched so many others fail. Tell me what happens when you find no more than 15-20 people who will pay 16k for this game. Show me how you're going to manufacture 199 machines. Show me how you're going to support this expensive machine after it's built.

If Pintasia is so interested in building pinball machines I do not understand why they would start with this half baked and seriously tainted game. Why not just get with Yeti (the artwork on MG is the biggest real wow factor anyway) and create a new game from scratch that you don't have to charge 16k for?

#11620 8 years ago
Quoted from retro_p:

It's been two friggin' days! And Bill has been working (and spending a lot) to get a prototype at NW.
The third degree from people with zero skin in the game is getting a little old at this point.

Anyone who cares about pinball has skin in the game. Too many bad things happening to the hobby lately.

#11639 8 years ago

I have hard earned cash in the "game" here and you have?? Your coming to the defense of the "hobby"... Kinda late for that now IMHO.
Myself as an "owner" (of JPOP VAPORWARE) would prefer that Bill doesn't get run off by people defending the "hobby" but not actually in on any on these games. Before pintasia/Bill we had a Popsicles chance in hell of getting anything from JPOP in court or otherwise... Now at least there is a sliver of hope, give the man a few days for Christ sakes!

Yes, a "few days" will make a world of difference. I suggest you keep your money invested and if you haven't actually paid in full then please do so now. John could probably use some extra spending cash. You clearly have no need being here as you do not want want to hear about any of the concerns and clearly no answers are coming from Pintasia. So what are you expecting to read here? Hopefully the folks with an IQ above 100 who do have money invested are smart enough to seek legal help now and don't continue to drink the Kool Aid of the next pinball startup who can't answer ANY of the hard questions.

#11648 8 years ago
Quoted from retro_p:

So what I got from this was:
1. You have no skin in the game.
2. You called people who do have $16,000 spent, who don't agree with you, stupid?

Then you must be one of the few with an IQ below 100 if that's what you got out of it.

Stop your whining and quit complaining about the people pointing out the obvious concerns that should be discussed now. If you don't care, fine, but you don't represent all pre-order folks (nor do I) and since someone else started this discussion I guess there are some that DO care.

#11656 8 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I too met and talked with Bill & Sabrina at Pin-a-go-go. I truly felt they had the passion & desire to see this moved forward. I applaud them for their efforts so far, and I see great progress in just the past week.
I was initially in on IPB BBB back in 2004. Gene initially said final payment due when game was completed. Then about 1/2 way thru, he needed all to pony up the balance "Pay in Full". I did, as did I believe everyone else. That was a leap of faith. I believe we need similar faith in Bill. Plus, he's not asking for $$$ up front. Thank You!

It is brave of you to take that leap of faith and I assume you are wealthy enough that if you lost 16k it would not impact your life. That's cool and I'm sure Bill certainly appreciates it.

However, convincing others to take that same leap faith without discussing or acknowledging the serious and very real risks involved (and without knowing their own financial condition) is irresponsible IMO.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinchili.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=pinchili and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.