(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,545 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (9 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#57 9 years ago

All this talk about artwork.. typical for a jpop game. I've owned and sold TOTAN, CV and Ep1; never had any interest whatsoever in owning a ToM. I kept WCS94, it's fun, happy and cheap. CV was fun til I realized I spent the whole game shooting just three shots - ramp, left orbit and Ringmaster. Hopefully jpop can get some good gameplay in these new machines to go along with the killer artwork. Right now I'm skeptical, but hope to be proven wrong.

And before all the thumbs-downers go ballistic (Greg?) .. ask yourself: how often do jpop games get used in top-level tournaments? Aside from WCS94's incredible PAPA run and Trent's all-CV Ohio Show some years ago, the answer is basically never.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I'll concede J-Pop's past games don't generally lend themselves to competitive play, but there's a place for beautiful pins with sub-expert level rulesets. Just as there are butt-ugly tourney staples like Dirty Harry. Of course we all prefer to have both in one game.

It's not about depth of rulesets... if that were the case, WCS94 would have hit the curb along with the other three. More about quality of play in general. CV appears to have all kinds of stuff to do at first glance, but after you own it a while, you realize over half the goals complete themselves as you're shooting for the three main branches: ringmasters, highwire and juggler. I really, really liked the presentation, music and art, but the game itself eventually got too "meh" to warrant it's 6K spot in my lineup. Buh-bye.

TOTAN was the same... got it back in 1999, loved the light show, music and art, but after a while realized the game was incredibly boring and sold it. I got it for 1K, sold for 3K and am amazed people will pay 5K+ for it these days. To each their own

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Also, like GProtein asked, and I've asked before too, who will be putting these together? It's a small run, so it doesn't make sense to have Stern do it like PPS is with MMr, but 125 pins is still way too many to have just a few guys doing it.

Maybe it'll be the other guy...

#146 9 years ago

So you guys (some of you) have bought a pinball machine that comes with an NDA that could potentially cost you many thousands of dollars in damages and legal fees?

I think I can definitely wait for the secondary market on these titles LOL

4 months later
#584 9 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

It's funny how so many of you who have preordered are complaining about the turnaround of John's games fully aware how masterful the creative force is (greatest Pin designer ever?) along with how darn right rare these games are actually gonna be once released.

Dunno about greatest ever.. I've owned 4 of his games over the last 14 years, and have sold all 4 of them. WCS94 is probably his best (it lasted the longest here) .. TOTAN is beautiful but boring, CV is deep but clunky and has you shooting the same three shots over and over, and SWep1 is just bad. ToM never interested me.

I always got the impression JPOP was more interested in elaborate toys, magnet tricks and visual art, and not so much on actual gameplay.

#585 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

But then it started at 13, went to 17 and then to 25. You guys should want 50, otherwise its not gonna get done. He's gonna need the $$$ to complete them.
As for the communication, he's just the "mad professor", that needs an assistant to say the least!

I remember doing some quick math after hearing the original MG announcement.. 15 games at 12K each (or was it 12 at 15K?) .. anyway, ~$200K budget to design, build and ship a new machine completely from scratch? Not gonna happen

Frankly, anyone still in for MG (or RAZA or AIW or whatever else) should hope he sells hundreds, if not thousands, so there's actually money to get them done.

#689 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Understood. I'm not trying to protect JPop, just trying to stop people from making a bunch of "I told you so" posts to people when we are not certain exactly what is going on.
I'm just asking people to post respectfully and not flame any flames.

But fanning the flames is a pinside tradition

fanflame.jpgfanflame.jpg
#739 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

For reference the production BBB took five years to make and they had a dozen prototypes to look at.
If Magic girl is done in five years total id be happy in the end.

BBB took two years from initial orders til the first units were shipped to Europe (to beat RoHS). Took one more year to build/ship all the domestic games. Late 2004 order, mid 2006 EU delivery, mid 2007 domestic delivery.

1 month later
#1271 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Who DID the warranty work for gene? that's a good question as I wasn't in on that game back then... Any original bbb owners want to chime in how gene handled warranty work the first year after he shipped games... O ya that's right that game design was already done with a tried and tested existing board system, not started from the ground up with all new systems that are untested.!!

Yep, the games basically worked out of the box, and whatever issues were encountered were dealt with by the owners. I'd say at least half of the games weren't opened right away, so only 80-100 games up and running... back then most buyers knew how to fix minor problems, so it was a non-issue.

1 week later
#1437 9 years ago

So is 1K officially junk bond status? Poor JPOP... but he kinda dug his own hole. Time to make games.

#1472 9 years ago

Having owned four of

Quoted from woodworker:MG is also THE game that he has to prove what he can do. He wants to blow the lid off of the pinball world with it, and I believe he will. It will have over a decade of ideas and innovations he has come up with since his last game with B/W.

Judging from John's library of WMS games, I would be VERY surprised if either MG or Zombieland is as exciting or challenging as Metallica. We will see... eventually.

#1645 9 years ago

Y'all need to send in those AIW installments so GLM can get paid

#1912 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

I am unable to comment from the website completely. It says I don't have permission. I had to go to settings and enable email and comment notifications. Then I can reply to the email and it gets posted as a comment. Maybe that will work for you too?

Sounds like he tried to disable comments and you found a workaround?

#2076 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

He's showing things slowly. Doing video of a working game to present the buyers... But there's no need to panic yet. If he continues to avoid giving hard dates after he shows stuff then I guess there will be issues... He's saying he still going to hold stuff back

Had to hit the little down-thumb on this. There's every reason to panic. He has shown absolutely no ability or desire to get anything done.

#2255 9 years ago

I don't think you have to worry about kaneda... if John doesn't respond to his own blog, why would he even read this thread?

#2262 9 years ago

4th title... hee hee..

#2271 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't doubt he's an idea man. But when he was at Williams he probably said "a crazy circus!" and they said "make it so" and then he had to just work on it because there was a damn deadline and people there working with him who he couldn't tell to just piss off and leave him alone. Art was done, and no, we're not paying to have it totally restarted.

Remember, the prototype CV had the "gay" Ringmaster voice (play the proto at Expo when Cameron brings it). Totally different character than what we have now. Fortunately, someone DID pay to have that part totally restarted

#2277 9 years ago

kaneda isn't really doing anything beyond asking stupid questions. Problem is so many people dislike him they respond negatively and it turns into a shitshow.

#2298 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

RE: Tesla, anyone who walked into my office and saw my Tesla backglass hanging on the wall is/was free to "borrow" the idea from me since I did nothing to protect it. I no longer feel it's a strong title for pinball anyway (no license, no sales) increasing my level of not-giving-a-shit.

Wait, what?? You know it would sell like hotcakes

tesla.jpgtesla.jpg
#2460 9 years ago

It looks like the video is mainly focused on the artist; perhaps he set the release date and John didn't know?

#2508 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

As long as they are not redundant flippers, like how they would stack two on each side for many early SS ones for no real reason.

Double flips aren't redundant. Aside from anything else, they provide more space for the player to interact with the ball. Look at Big Game... over half of the width of the game is flipper, meaning the player is having to flip at the ball far more often than a narrower arrangement. Double flips without a wall behind the second flipper provide more challenge as you can drain between them. With games such as Paragon and Harlem, some shots are better taken from one or the other lower flippers. Shooting that droptarget from the bottom flipper might lead to drains, but from the upper it comes back much friendlier, etc.

#2636 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I am also not trying to say that I am smarter than those who ever had money in this. If this had been Steve Ritchie or Dennis Nordman I might have gotten in. I simply don't like any of Jpop's previous games well enough to throw my money in. So my decision was mostly a matter of personal taste way back in the beginning (along with sticker shock).

For me, it wasn't so much game preference as his experience, or lack thereof. I knew John was doomed waaaay back when he made the very first Magic Girl announcement. I even joked to some buddies about seeing the dilbert 'cloud of doom' over his head. His math at the time was simply impossible - Magic Girl's price times number of units (limited) didn't come even close to covering what it would cost to develop and manufacture a new game. Especially once he started talkig new platform and newly designed parts all around. The fact he would even make such an announcement with his original figures proved to me beyond any doubt that John is no businessman, and pretty clueless about production.

I've watched this slow-motion trainwreck for the last three years and am really sad - it cannot end well. John seems like a nice guy, but he seems oblivious to the fact he's so far behind. The house is burning down and he's still gluing ramps together....

#2652 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I googled that and read all that guys comics.
Ohhhh goodness.
That dude sure has a facination with male horse privates ...
rd.

..and you had to read "all" the comics before coming to that conclusion?

1 week later
#3042 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Rumor is the video of a flipping game was part of the big reveal and he's just waiting on a few vendor parts...

Hopefully those were vendors that actually got paid

#3057 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

This has been so badly managed. When I compare this with some of the WOZ shit storm threads, or Predator, there has always been a owners vs non-owners battle, but in this case the owners are the ones speaking up, that's how bad it is.

The non-owners feel almost as bad as you do over this crap It's your money so I know you feel worse. Just don't know any solution... need to find a way to light a fire under John's tush...

#3167 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

2) I or somebody, needs to provide a 3rd party accounting/audit of the books. There is a reason why we have the SEC, accounting standards and all kinds of regulation for public traded companies.

John (Zidware) is publicly traded?

1 week later
#3444 9 years ago
Quoted from retro_p:

Would you prefer he opened up sales on the machines? Selling 50 or 100 MGs would certainly close any conceivable gap, plus more people would get to enjoy the game. Obviously, he would have to make sure the ones who preordered from the start get a good bit of extra bells and whistles on their machines, since they would then be a (little) bit less "exclusive"...

You're assuming John could find 50-100 more people willing to spend sixteen grand on MG. Honestly, I think just about everyone who would do that, has already done that. 16K buys a lot of quality pinball... would you rather have, say, an EBD (2K), Spirit (5K), an AFM (6K) and a few good EMs? Or a Magic Girl? None of John's earlier games were exactly earth-shattering, so I don't understand this second-coming-of-Christ mentality around MG and RAZA....

#3454 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I guess now is a good time to mention in my contract it says if I bring the game to a show or expo my warranty is void.
Warranty is pretty explicit it is home use only. can't be routed either (will void warranty).

What if you host a birthday party?

What if you take it to your kid's friend's birthday party?

What if you take it to a buddy's place for a weekend party?

What if you leave it at your office for fellow employees to enjoy for a few weeks?

What if you put your house up for sale and all the prospective buyers play it?

What if it never left its spot in your basement but you participate in and host a few leagues and it got played 1000 time a month?

What if Jpop spent half as much time working on games as he did legal nonsense....

#3463 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I just pulled up my contract to look at it again. It is very specific, capitalized HOME USE ONLY and anything else will void the warranty.
It's addressed in 2 sections actually, under "Usage & Operation" it states it can't be used for tournaments either, or "public display or play".
The machine itself is made to coin-up specs (coin door, operators menu, etc), but that little nugget is sitting in the contract clear as day.

I can see it now...

Zidware Patent #XXXXXXXX: Internet-enabled tilt bob!

Worried about your nasty old customers abusing their games and filing bogus warranty claims as a result? This new feature guarantees gentle play! Each tilt warning is transmitted directly to Zidware HQ in Chicago, IL, where Mr. John A. Popadiuk Jr. himself (or his dog) will note and record the violation. After any second warning, Zidware will send a sternly-worded letter to the owner demanding that they Settle Down Right Now and Stop Abusing the Game. Actual tilts will result in the game being locked-down and play disabled for one week. Slam tilts are grounds for repossession.

Players who disagree with this policy can file a Memorandum of Complaint directly with their local department of circular filing devices.

#3597 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Respectfully disagree. There are many shallow minded people in this world that rejoice in the misery of others. It's not difficult to spot many of them here. If this project fails they will celebrate and boast "I told you so". And if games are delivered they'll be silent or give dishonest best wishes.

I'm paraphrasing but some of the notable Pinside quotes amount to this: "Boy are you stupid for getting involved in this doomed scam. *But hey, I hope you get your game*"

I agree with you here. However, I do want to point out that some of us (like myself) have used the term "doomed" to describe John's projects, but I certainly neither blame nor wish ill-will on anyone who ordered a game from him. I don't think any of John's customers are stupid. I do doubt many of them knew John really well when they ordered (outside of his library of games) or knew his history at WMS. I really hope these games get made, but hope and belief are two different things. Bottom line though is that fault lies with John, not his customers. He made the promises, now he has to deliver.

3 months later
#7925 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

and his great track record as a hall of fame pinball designer

?? Where does this come from ??

Take away the magnet tricks and Cameron's CV rules, and John is about as mediocre as pinball designers come. Five games, none of which are really recognized for their gameplay... rather about artwork and toys. Hell, John Borg runs rings around this guy, and I used to be the biggest Sega hater. Popadiuk is great for inventing gadgets, and maybe directing artwork, but that's about it IMHO. I've owned 4 of those 5 games and can't say I miss one. Well, maybe WCS a little. Game is just so happy.

#7942 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Disagree - ToM, TOTAN, and CV's gameplay are fantastic. More than artwork and toys. Physically, they shoot beautifully. Smooth loops, interesting ramp designs. ToM is probably the fastest, smoothest, flowiest game out there. They have cool themes, great art, music and killer presentation. Some people seem to have issues with some of the rules (complaints I don't really understand)...but they're clearly the in the vocal minority.

I'd say JM is the king of flow.

TOM flows well, TOTAN does to some degree but there's little to shoot at from the left flipper to maintain flow.

As for gameplay, it does kinda suck. The "vocal minority" are those who value gameplay above all else, and it's telling they have kept a near blanket ban on all non-WCS94 Popadiuk from tournaments. ToM has exploitable rules (left orbit), ToTAN is a trainwreck, although good for beginners. CV appears nice at first, until you realize you're only ever shooting half the playfield-- left orbit, ramp (and lock targets), and Ringmaster. SWep1... Williams' last game ever, sunset of the pinball titan, sells for just a smidgen over 2K, and it ain't all because of Jar Jar.

I'm not a random Popadiuk hater. I owned WCS94 for 14 years, Ep1 for 13, ToTAN for 3 and CV for 8. After playing those for so long, and comparing them to games like TZ and MM and STTNG (then), and Metallica, WOZ and STLE (now), they're (not) amazingly boring, but kinda boring... Blingy but boring.

1 week later
#8363 8 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

To clarify - CV 1.x is horrid.
CV 2.0 is fantastic. However, that wasn't John. That was Cameron, all the way.

2.0 helps a lot, but the game is still fundamentally broken. How many times do you deliberately shoot either end of the RM loop outside of multiball? How often do you deliberately shoot for Acrobats, or Menagerie? Half the playfield is rarely used.

#8365 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

To clarify further...TOM has good rules and shoots fantastic. It just has a crap wizard mode

Needs left orbit rules reworked to be less lucrative

Quoted from Pimp77:

TOTAN has decent rules too that are hampered by a couple minor bad decisions (get rid of the wishes for jewels and make the modes more difficult...like 3 ramp shots instead of 1 and the rules become good to great).

This wouldn't change a thing, because all the points in TOTAN come from the lamp and bonus (when not exploiting HAREM bugs). This game was designed for beginners and the rules are just awful. 70K for mode shots when one can get 10M in bonus just by racking up spins and shooting the captive balls?

#8371 8 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Well, sure, not as MANY time as other shots, but hell.. in TAF, how often do you *purposefully* shoot the pop bumpers, when not in Raise The Dead? NO game has t he player wanting to make ALL the shots the same amount of time.

Yes, but in CV I found myself shooting nothing but the left orbit and ramp (and the lock targets on ramp misses). Raise a RM, start one of those three other multiballs (highwire, strike an ark, juggler), rinse/repeat. That will get you through the entire game. The center inserts for Menagerie, Spin, Sideshow, Boom and RM Frenzy just kinda happen along as you play...

#8407 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It's a simple points tweak. The rules are there.

The "rules" that require you to make all of 2 shots each to finish 4 of the jewel modes?

The "rules" surrounding the most basic main multiball ever in a WPC game?

The "rules" that let you play genie battle forever, scoring all the way?

The "rules" that make the left orbit only ever worth one award at a time?

Yea, great rules.... most system11 games outplay this turd turd.gifturd.gif

#8432 8 years ago
Quoted from nintendo:

I think you nailed it with "most people just have fun playing Tom/TOTAN/CV and these complaints don't enter their minds while playing." I'm in love with those games. Just Totan, my god, it's so beautiful. The theme, the colors, the music, my cute custom genie lamp on top of the back box that I secretly rub and make wishes to. Just the music alone I can listen to all day;

You just described myself in 2002 (minus the topper), a couple years after I'd gotten TOTAN and back when I still enjoyed playing it. As you said, beautiful light show and great music. For some people, simple games are all they need. 12 years ago, that was good enough for me. Since then, I've found so many more, better-playing machines, that I don't see the point in just banging the ball around and shooting shots just to see them whip back at me, so to speak.

#8436 8 years ago
Quoted from nintendo:

Interesting, we all evolve in this hobby and who knows, I might have the same view as you in 5 years from now. Do you mind sharing which games do it for you now? Am curious to see if I played any of them.

Current games: WOZ, Metallica, STLE... all relatively new, fresh and deep rulesets; all still unbeaten (I have not gotten to Enterprise Amok/5YM, End of Line or SOTR). I'm also digging some older games like Nineball, Big Game and Quick Draw. If you're going to bang a ball around, might as well do it on an EM where you can learn subtle shots like nicking the uppermost droptarget and rebounding the ball into the opposite-side kickout hole

Iron Man, Tron and BBH provide fast, challenging games that don't last a long time. I like Breakshot for its combination of DMD speed and EM gameplay. Pinball Magic is a great game for precision shotmaking... you can progress very quickly if you're on your game, and the tricks get harder the further you get. Jackbot is very tough to keep balls alive on for any length of time, and provides nice risk/reward with Casino Run. And then of course, the ultimate risk/reward game.. ACDC and its "holy f*ck I can't believe I just missed a 300M song jackpot%@#$^$!"

#8445 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I am strong believer in variety in a collection, deep games, fast games, flow games, slow games

Yep, I agree. I forgot to mention TSPP and LOTR in my post - I have both of those, along with WOZ, and enjoy their deep rules and long gametimes. Sometimes. Other times I want fast and brutal.

One thing though, if I'm in the mood for a more simple game, I prefer to play one with an interesting playfield. TOTAN is a simple game but isn't very interesting to shoot. OTOH, Nine Ball is simple but provides a more unique playfield layout and nifty rebound opportunities. CV *could* be better if the software simply used all the shots more effectively.

#8560 8 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

I find it curious that your first post about possibly visiting John was flagged by the mods with "Pinside does not condone ever going to someone in person for any reason uninvited". I agree that showing up at another Pinsider's home uninvited is a bad idea but in this case, showing up at a place of business to ask "what the hell is going on?" seems reasonable. Invite or not.

Pinside wants to be everyone's mom. Soon we will have to post here to ask permission to go outside and play

Frankly, if John had my money, that's more than enough invite to go to his shop!

#8871 8 years ago

Can anyone shoot me the OH NOES GREAT HARM pic so I can see WTH everyone is discussing?

#8898 8 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

3 ramps, a lot of fuckin magnets, zero drop targets, two small stand up targets?

One ramp. Just like TOTAN: one entrance, many destinations.

#9003 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

any show organizer allowing Jpop to hold a seminar in which he asks for preorders, for any of his games, should be held accountable for any order taken there.

Why?

People need to do their own research before plunking down money for anything. It's not the show promoter's job to underwrite the vendors who show up hawking wares. Anyone who ordered a Jpop game did so under their own volition, and they have no one to blame but themselves. Not trying to be mean, just tired of people trying to push the accountability for this mess onto others.

1 week later
#12792 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Everyone please take note that he is the sort of guy to publish PMs (PERSONAL messages) that you send to him. Pretty disgusting forum behavior.

I've never sent a PM I'd be embarrassed to have posted in public.

Act like an adult and there's no problem. Looks like certain people should have breathalyzers on their keyboards...

#12809 8 years ago

If zidware files (or is forced into) bankruptcy in the short term, any sales to pintasia would likely be reversed. Licensing would not, and pintasia would become another creditor if they paid zidware for anything. Barring some kind of settlement, zidware's assets would go up for auction, and pintasia (and anyone else) can bid on them.

#13150 8 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Please do not misconstrue this as support for John in any way. I strongly believe John set out to make a pin and just miserably failed

Pardon my bluntness, Kevin and John are both idiots. Kevin for thinking he could slip a game or two .. hundred.. under Fox's radar, and John for having no production plans and thinking some magic pinball company would come bail him out.

Neither went into their respective projects looking to rip anyone off, but as the wheels fell off each train, the conductors started to get shady to prop up their failures. Both should have come clean far earlier than now, but ehh... humans hate admitting failure.

#13301 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Frolic - are you at least going to the NW show to see it in person? It looks pretty good from the "putting it together" perspective as I helped PDX monkey and John until 2am Wed. You guys need to focus on the present, and ignore all the speculation and bull crap comments - see the game and say whether you are in or out.

You expect people to make a 16K decision based on the game in its current state??

#13384 8 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I'm just trying to imagine what it will be like waiting for the ball to return from the wiggle ramps... every time you hit the single ramp entrance it will have to come shimmying back one side or the other. You'd think this would make for slow gameplay. Seems like form won out over function here.

Just imaging shooting the TOTAN ramp and having it go to the left side return to flippers. That will give you an idea of the timing here (note: it's not fast). Hopefully the rules will not involve a lot of the squigglies. TOTAN only returned the ball to the left side occasionally.

#14104 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Hey...dude...building a KISS pinball with MY money,in the time you should build MY f@cking pinball,that is disgusting!

Stupid and a bad business decision? Yea. Disgusting and human filth.. I'd relegate those terms for stronger crimes than being an inept businessman.

#14161 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Wow....I REALLY don't like that the OP can't close down a Thread when asked. I thought that was the rule.

People will discuss what they want to discuss. Closing the thread would be a waste of time since someone would just start a new one.

#15084 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I don't even think a group of pre-orders could force an involuntary, b/c there is no lack of contract fulfillment if no dates were written or promised.

Get that letter he posted (where he admitted there are no longer enough funds to make the games) in front of a judge in BK court and you may get an involuntary bankruptcy...

#15102 8 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

Something is terribly wrong with the US judicial system, if someone can rob another's wallet and end up in jail, and all the lawyers, or lawyer wannabes on Pinside, keep saying..nope can't touch John, he's free to go. Maybe I'm too naive.

People voluntarily gave their money to Jpop. People don't volunteer to being mugged. There is a key difference.

John is not "free to go" - he will wind up in bankruptcy and lose some assets. He has also lost the respect of most pinball fans.

#15778 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

I'm one of the people who paid into this. And yes I do think they had great foresight. I wish I had it. They bought the prototype YEARS AGO. As much as you want a conspiracy, there's not one here.

Most people who bought into jpop did so "years ago" as well. Just because someone bought a prototype does not necessarily give them priority in BK proceedings.

Zidware must be forced into bankruptcy ASAP so these "sales" can be undone and the assets returned to zidware for auction and distribution to creditors.

1 year later
#19661 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

I will add whoever the folks are behind American Pinball - they owe us nothing. We do not expect them to pay for their employee's wrongs. BUT if you expect support from this community given who they have hired - there are caveats with that... They came HERE on Pinside and are trying to go to Expo to drum up support and sales... They came into OUR house, so earn that platform first.

Who's house? You have quite a diversified bunch of people on here, and not everyone thinks in knee-jerk reactions like yourself.

Prior to this American Pinball thing, the chances of a MG, RZ or AIW buyer getting something to show for their investment was hovering right around zero. Nada. Zilch. Well's dry and not even lawsuits can make money out of air.

Now you have a company that claims it will try to make good on those old debts. Make the old games, build the brand. And they show more production than John was ever able to. Sure, there's a really good chance this will fall apart, but it looks like the chances for the aforementioned buyers to get *something* is now greater than zero.

I'd absolutely give these guys a stage at Expo. Let them either make good news, or bury themselves. It is NOT Expo's job to choose favorites between pinball companies (and I can't help but note you're a distributor whom American Pinball would be competing with). Running AP out of business before they can even start doesn't really help matters. Expo gave JPOP a stage and he happily used it to prove to the pinball community he had absolutely no clue. That was very useful information. People need information, and kicking companies out of Expo does not further that goal.

#19665 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Honestly, JPop could have spent the last near making more cabinets and that's the photo of them. It's not like cabinets are crazy expensive.

True, but I doubt he would have built the "non-special-zidware-but-practical" version we're seeing. His ego would be a major roadblock to such an undertaking

#19723 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I just can't comprehend, with all the difficulty we've seen other pinball companies go through, that with a snap of the fingers there's a bunch of Magic Girls ready for delivery to customers, and they are more than just boxes of lights and that there's a game there that is fun and plays good.

I'll take "people who know how to run a business" for a thousand, Alex.

#19798 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I implore you that they do not deserve the stage at expo to talk about Houdini. If they want to talk about Houdini then all the questions need to be answered about MG, RAZA, AND AiW.

Ask 'em those questions after they're done talking up Houdini at Expo.

#19799 7 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Can someone buy the Pinball News guy a new camera? Holy hell, it's freakin' 2016. They get an chance to reveal to the community such a controversial game and take one picture that blurry.

The blurriness was intentional - they would not allow him a clear shot. Methinks they went DPRK on him and checked his phone before allowing him to leave...

#19825 7 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Is American Pinball going to actually make everyone 'whole' to clear the PR path for JPOP for Magic Girl? Preorder folks were only part of the story folks...

*cough cough* As in... will ALL of the people like myself who were convinced to work (and stick around) above and beyond (for little to no pay at times) under the guise that we would receive a machine upon completion as the bonus to offset?

If it's not answered by Expo, this should be the first question asked during their seminar. Any non-answer should be considered a "no" and people can decide if they want to support AP at that time.

#19969 7 years ago

catfight (resized).jpgcatfight (resized).jpg

4 months later
#21551 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am not quite understanding why it is a big deal to you if I remembered it one way or the other. The point was that you sold your MG. Good for you. You found someone to take the risk when it appeared things were imploding. If you made some $$$ off him then even better. You cashed in on the risk and someone else took it on. I am not sure why you are pissed if that is public? or I remembered it as you saying it?

This is what happens when you continually try to police other peoples' actions. Just stop already.

#21594 7 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Sometimes I wish that this entire forum- its users, its news, the tech forums- all of it- could be seemlessly migrated to Facebook.

No. I don't need Facebook to curate the content here. Just ready the good stuff and skip the crap. Facebook is not "the internet" and it's tiring to see people gravitate towards it like moths to a light.

#21595 7 years ago

I think most people would agree- it would be better if Pinside were ported in its entirety to a Facebook community.

Put up a poll and marvel at the results

#21599 7 years ago

The problem is-
We wouldn't be able to run an accurate poll
The people who either can't or don't want to be around here anymore for the reasons described above wouldn't participate.

Well hell, that's great! The people who want to be on Facebook are there, and the people who prefer Pinside are here!

So why are you still here?

#21668 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Just add bourbon.
Is that the best you got after I just demonstrated you to be 100% wrong?

You're relationship with your family and friends does not give you carte blanche to be a dick on the internet.

#21731 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

The owners aren't going to be eager to share how shittily the game is made/designed

Upvote for creative adverb usage

#21735 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

From the close-ups, it looks about 300dpi (ie. you can see the jagged edges of the pixels since it's been converted from Illustrator to Photoshop I guess) and it also looks CMYK printed, instead of screen printed with spot colours. You can tell because you can see the CMYK dots used to mix to make the colours, which is especially noticable at 300dpi.

Sounds like Greatwich's Stargazer playfields... I wonder if the MG fields were made by him or by using the same process? I'm real happy with my SG playfield; for $500 it's extremely nice and I have no complaints at all. Using that process in a $10K game, however, would be bad news...

#21967 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

it's not the people bashing him giving him attention. he spent thousands of dollars and a fair amount of effort pretty much for the sole purpose of getting himself mentioned on Pinside.

Yea, so stop mentioning him already and talk about the game.

Y'all are hopeless

#21972 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

is making a bigger stretch than applying Special K to, well, Special K as it is known today...a slang name for ketamine

Didn't know that.. I don't keep up on drug terms.

Now y'all got the freakin mods going on this cereal/kaneda thing instead of the game. Chris owns all of you, best 20K he ever spent lol

#21973 7 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

^ owes $20 to Pinside

Nice try Ted but I don't read threads backwards

#21975 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

The problem is Special K is the only one really sharing the actual info of the finished product, Magic Girl. It's hard not to mention him. Like him or not, he DOES have the goods that we speak of.

So how hard is it to talk about the goods and not the messenger?

When folks talk about the news, they talk about the news and not about the news anchor...

#22045 7 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Also here is a picture of the early magna flip playfield I preferred this one, but john wanted it clear. I argued to keep it, but lost Maybe we could get these made as mods?

Art looks really nice .. too bad the PF itself is such a rip off of TZ... Is there anything actually *original* in MG and not swiped from a prior JPOP or other game? Magic Girl is the K-TEL of pinball releases it seems...

#22046 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

BTW. I'd like to be called Special 68 going forward.

So close to great pornstar nickname..

#22048 7 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Here is hoping this becomes a sticky

If they're serious, Robin/Martin/etc should make a separate thread and not bury THE PURGE in the bowels of this trainwreck...

#22538 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

there are way less 24s out there than BBBs, and yet nobody really gives a shit about 24.

I don't think Stern has ever produced a normal production game in quantities less than 500. There are 200 PMI BBBs + 13 originals.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=metallik and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.