(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,471 posts
  • 928 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

streamberry (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (8 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lpeters82.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19458 7 years ago

American Pinball needs to operate with complete transparancy. The secrecy with the whole MG thing makes me think there is still something fishing going on, but realistically I don't know how else JPOP could write his wrong. The only way he could raise the kind of money he owes would be to design new games. I'm not saying to trust, but for the purpose of this discussion, let's ssume that American Pinball is a legit operation. What could they to help correct JPOPs previous wrongs? I see Ben H. suggested 50% off to those that put down a deposit on prior machines. Take that out of the money they would have normally paid to JPOP. I really don't have a great option.

PS: This is on a much smaller scale, but I've bought items from people who owed others money. I only agreed if they would send first, and my payment could be sent directly to the person they owed money too.

#19488 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Question nobody's asking, is Houdini even a good theme? Maybe for a 1930's nickel game, but now?

I think it's a good theme. I guess for me the name Houdini is synonymous with "magic" itself. Lot's of timeless escapes, including: water torture, milk can, straightjacket, and handcuffs. Other ticks including the metamorphosis, vanishing elephant, swallowing needles, and walking through a wall. It works form me.

#19548 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Based on what I have heard about Jpoop's accounting system, I'd imagine he would have a hard time even coming up with a list of "rightful" MG owners after all this time. Those bar napkins have probably all run through the wash in the pocket of his pants by now.

As long as I get the three machines I preordered I'll be happy.

#19606 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Based on what I have heard about Jpoop's accounting system, I'd imagine he would have a hard time even coming up with a list of "rightful" MG owners after all this time. Those bar napkins have probably all run through the wash in the pocket of his pants by now.

Quoted from lpeters82:

As long as I get the three machines I preordered I'll be happy.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Not funny to those that are out money for games.

I apologize. My goal really wasn't to be funny. I was attempting to illustrate my agreement with John_I; but obviously sarcasm wasn't the best method. Even if American Pinball is working with JPOP to "write prior wrongs" it's a difficult task without having a clear record of those that are owed money, including those that put deposits for MG, RAZA, AIW, plus vendors. I hope they can be made whole, but agree that until they are, JPOP, and any company choosing to associate with him, will not be given any benefit of the doubt.

PS: Writing, "choosing to associate with him" really does make me wonder how this whole partnership developed. Were they naive about the whole situation? Seems unlikely. Do they consider JPOP such a talent that they were knowingly willing to take on his huge baggage through association? I don't understand how a startup could have such confidence that they could, not only handle their own affairs, but also take on the affairs of a consulting partner. Why take on that added risk?

4 weeks later
#20249 7 years ago

Off topic, but didn't they find the ET cartridges a few years ago?

#20270 7 years ago

I also spoke with Joe. He for sure knows there were a lot of issues with the playfield layout.

3 months later
#21850 7 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Unlikely. There are only 19 and a number of owners are not even unboxing them. Maybe one or two make it out. There are what, ~250 BBB 's and I only know of one on location.

od2o7 (resized).jpgod2o7 (resized).jpg

#22097 7 years ago

I really like the vanishing magnet. If JPop was the first to do that then he probably deserves credit for that; but this coming from the guy that "borrowed" ideas from many other machines and outright stole the work from vendors is absolutely ridiculous.

EDIT: This is an interesting topic, perhaps a new thread could be created to discuss copyright and trademark in pinball.

#22135 7 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

It seems lamer and lamer though that JPOP is silent while apple juice's huge generosity is the only way it seems to figure this game out.. despite him being shorted 11k and a game.

Unfortunately, I think the first thing we hear from JPop will be him blaming the buyers for forcing him to send out an unfinished game as a result of the lawsuit.

#22501 7 years ago

Collect-ability is weird. This is a bit of an exaggeration, but sports card manufacturers used to print 100,000 copies of 1 card and they were worthless. They now print 100 copies of 1,000 cards and they are valuable. No change in the total number of cards available; but the manufacturers were able to create a demand by calling everything a "limited edition". Not quite as easy to do in the pinball industry since there are some larger manufacturing costs; but Stern certainly seems to be entering into that market. Take the base game; add on a numbered plaque, artwork, and powder coating; call it a "super limited edition"; and sell it for $5,000 to $6,500 more.

#22514 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You can say that again, and it's not always just about rarity. Some things simply become more collectible than other things, and there isn't always an obvious reason why. For example, there are way less 24s out there than BBBs, and yet nobody really gives a shit about 24. For whatever reason, the people willing to spend the big bucks really want an MG in their collection, thus it has doubled in price overnight.
I will say this, you couldn't pay me to put an MG in my collection. In my eyes, that game was built from the blood of fellow hobbyists, and I consider its very existence to be a slap in the face to every person who lost money with Jpop.

Totally. I'm honestly wondering if these games would be selling for this much if they were produced as promised, and didn't have the notoriety or drama. Would this game still be selling for $20-$40k? At that point it would probably come down to how it played. Like you said it's not just about rarity.

#22518 7 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

He needs to build more, and keep building more until sales dry up, or everyone with pre-orders are refunded...

Would you trust him to pay of the vendors and previous buyers? Even if it's not a preorder it would seem like they would have to have a 3rd party handling the money. Plus, I think the announcement of another build would drive prices down pretty quickly.

#22520 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

curious, would anything be stopping Zombie from doing just this? Seems like he owns the actual art and guessing his current contacts could easily print him up 250 pfs and translites.
I too woudl be up for buying one of these so long as I knew Zombie and AppleJuice were getting the profits to make them whole.

I was just editing my previous post to ask the same thing. I'd love to see John try to convince a judge he owns the rights to that work.

#22522 7 years ago

A fool and his money...

#22596 7 years ago

I don't blame anyone who sells a MG. This crazy pricing is driven by a handful of buyers where money clearly isn't an issue.

Quoted from guyincognito:

Serious question... If I went on Craigslist right now and listed a Baywatch for $100K is the new benchmark price for a Baywatch $100K?

No. In my opinion pricing is driven by actual sales. Even then there are going to be so few actual sales that the "fair market" value is going to be tough to ever establish.

#22874 7 years ago

Somewhat back on topic...honestly, how much demand is there really for these machines? If there were more of them available how many people would pay 10K?, 20K?, 30K? To me this machine is a novelty. It seems to me the pool of buyers with the money, space, and interest would be quite low. What would you pay for a Magic Girl?

#22901 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If Jpop came out right now and said I'm going to sell 20 of the zombie chick bowling pins and asked for a $10k deposit and a $17k price tag, how many people do you think would sign up?

Dear lord, I hope the answer to that is zero.

#23038 7 years ago

I don't think he's looking for a loner game. I think he wants his own MG, which is perfectly understandable. That is what was promised from JPOP and not delivered.

1 week later
#23238 7 years ago

Hard to believe that not everyone wants drama. <-- Does this emoji work for sarcasm?

3 months later
#23590 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

Most are selling for $22-$23k all day long
The original price was $16k

How many sales have there been?

6 months later
#23860 6 years ago

...having said that, this isn't a bad design team for a startup company.

3 months later
#24069 5 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

That I don't know. I didn't care for the 1st 2 machines, but Alice Cooper is quite fun. Spooky is doing things much differently than the rest of the start up manufactures and it seems to be working for them.

Spooky seems to be growing slowly: 150 machines, 300 machines, 500 machines. They are not trying to be the next Stern with 1000s of games. Perhaps that could change, but I think they are happy being the "boo"tique company.

3 months later
#24196 5 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

I say leave him up there. Should make for good cinema.

I think that's just it, I don't see what good his presence could possibly do for anyone (including himself). This is just drama, and pinball needs less drama IMHO.

#24199 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Can we add cosplay to expo like MGC has?

As long as we're not marching J-Pop naked through the crowds.

#24219 5 years ago

Unless he is there handing out games or refunds, I don't know what good can come from him being at Expo. Words aren't exactly going to cut it at this point. The community needs less talk more results.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
RavSpec
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greeley, CO
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Plastics
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!
Other
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 49.99
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lpeters82.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=lpeters82 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.