(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (9 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jeremy8419.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23096 7 years ago

Hi. I'm a complete novice, so please consider such the words of one:

After reading a while on this... what's the actual problem? Broken physics? Incomplete coding?

As someone somewhat in the tech field, having someone try and build something as such and then in the end just say "Oh, can't make it work," really just makes me think that the person is just genuinely retarded and simply has a lot of time invested into similar things. And I don't mean such as a casual insult, but as a genuine "if I was watching this person for a week, I would probably at some point ask them what is wrong with them."

Realistic solutions for such things:
Physics: you could literally post the stuff on a college engineering forum and have someone spit back a legit 3D model with animations within a week tops.
Programming: Again, you could literally post this on a forum and have someone spit the full working code back.
Electronics: Again, you could have any enthusiastic college kid come and do it for you.
All this and waived rights and they wouldn't even bat an eye.

Also, stuff like this belongs on GoFundMe. Not on pre-orders.

#23110 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

You've just made an enemy with our SJW members for using the "R word"......

Oh well; SJW's are retarded too

#23111 7 years ago

In this day and age, it seems like it would be more prudent to start with a base pinball program, program the pinball game you envision, all the objects physics and rule codings and whatnot will already be correct at that point, and then transfer such into the creation of a real pinball game.

#23116 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Steve Ritchie and other designers will be at the Texas Pinball Festival. You should seek them out and discuss this. It could be an enlightening conversation.

I'm guessing they have designer booths set up? I'd have to mentally run through the processes first, but designing virtually first would come with the added benefit of having 3D models already ready for 3D printing for cheap prototypes components during the transition phase.

#23117 7 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Just my guess, I would think old-school designers prefer their way. Witness Jpop and his endless tinkering with foam core.
I would also guess the virtual first method sounds like what AP is envisioning with their professed desire to become the go-to boutique manufacturer. If they release a standard "roll your own" program they can then use the output from to build the real thing, it might work!
Still, just because a game shoots well virtually doesn't mean it will using actual physics...

Quoted from toyotaboy:

See Wrath of olympus. He started out virtually, and most of the shots were about 90% good. The only reason you need small tweaking the real world is because virtual physics aren't perfect, but they are dam close.
If I remember right if you do it on visual pinball it translates to PROC very well (I believe you can run real PROC hardware to control the virtual one, then just transfer wires to real hardware)

Yeah, I could see the desire to keep doing things the original way, which for boutiques such as Spooky, that seems good, but MG was very ambitious looking and done with, seemingly, only preorder financial backing. For stuff like such, it would make more sense to seek a means that minimizes expenses accrued by tinkering and testing physical components over and over as they are changed, modified, and replaced.

It would depend upon the physics engine used. Better engines cost more money. Remember, engineering uses some of these same engines to outright design systems that we use on a daily basis.

Heck, if you started with a virtual version, you could use the virtual version to put full-blown game replays on the actual pins displays by having the pin relay back ball locations and times back to the virtual version.

#23149 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

See Wrath of olympus. He started out virtually, and most of the shots were about 90% good. The only reason you need small tweaking the real world is because virtual physics aren't perfect, but they are dam close.
If I remember right if you do it on visual pinball it translates to PROC very well (I believe you can run real PROC hardware to control the virtual one, then just transfer wires to real hardware)

I checked it out. That looks like a fun game. Reminds me of jersey jack sorts. Looks way more fun than the Sterns to me.

#23154 7 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

JPonzi ended up screwing everyone to some degree.
* Parts manufacturers didn't get paid.
* Employees/contractors didn't get paid.
* MG buyers didn't get what they paid for. *
* RAZA/AIW buyers didn't get anything.
* Investors lost their money.
I'm listening to 'Ponzi Supernova' on Audible about Bernie Madoff and even after his trial and conviction for running a $65 BILLION dollar Ponzi scheme, Bernie (from prison) claims "he's a good guy, and he was just trying to help people make money". THEY ALL DO! I've watched every episode of 'American Greed' on CNBC and time and time again these guys all say the same thing after they've been caught and convicted... "I'm not a bad guy, I really was running a legitimate business!".
*It's entirely up in the air on what the future value of MG will be. It could be ridiculously valuable or worth much less than the original price tag.

I'd go with worth much less. Right now it classifies as a "current event." In the future, it won't have that benefit. It will still be rare, but it will be a largely non-working rare from a company that never produced any completed projects. It won't be in the same category as any of the prototypes or rates from Williams, Bally, Stern, etc., because all those were actually successful companies with many completed products. This will be in the same category as if Joe Blow tried to make a pinball machine (or anything really) and then gave up before finishing it: virtually worthless.

#23155 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Designing, developing and building Pinball Machines is hard.

Most things worth doing are hard. That is why we, as people, have tools and resources to assist us.

In the case of JPop, he did not properly utilize his resources (consulting other experts) until his primary resource (money) was already gone. With the money being invested into the projects, he could have contracted out independent consultations at multiple times during the development process, which more than likely would have prevented the entire fiasco.

When pinball was at its height as an industry, computing was still in its early stages. Now, decades later, we have the fortunate opportunity to utilize the tools of the personal computer and the general communication of the information age to assist us. If one wishes to individually attempt to tackle major projects such as JPop, without sufficiently utilizing the tools available, then one will be faced with a comparative disadvantage to both competitors and consumers.

Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

Can we get a gofund me going so we can hire somebody to film Ritchie's response to this? O.K., Thanx

I'll post what we talk about, if I talk with them. I doubt all people are that behind the times that they don't utilize computing in some shape or fashion during the design phase.

#23160 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Wasn't the story there that JPop asked Ben to choose between him and Charlie?

The plot thickens....

#23178 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Don't forget about the spinner disk on the left outlane that drains the ball 99% of the time

Almost looks like it needs to spin the reverse direction and have more friction... it uses centrifugal force, which by the angle of entry, places it going towards the outlane lol

#23179 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

So, looking at this page you can download an 8 page PDF (2 pages are cover pictures) for the Magic Girl Home edition and will soon be able to download the manual for the Magic Girl Final edition?
http://www.zidware.com/inventor/docs.html
So his plans are to put out the full working edition and leave 20 people with half made POS games?
Not that he can really get anything done. But his plans are to screw people even more?
And you have to love his page about how great he is. The teamwork quote is the best -
http://www.zidware.com/inventor/about.html

Sounds more like he is releasing soon a manual for "it was supposed to be This."

#23210 7 years ago

Doesn't Full Throttle use 4 small spinner discs? May be a good example on how non-broke ones affect ball movement.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jeremy8419.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=jeremy8419 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.