(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (8 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jazzmaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#133 9 years ago

And, at this point, that's all there is to see. The dev site is not live yet.

4 months later
#711 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

the infamous "crickets" blog post

Please elaborate.

#818 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'd say get focused and go make it happen! Forget AIW for now or anything else that gets in the way of completing MG and RAZA. Then move on to the next game.

Hold on just a second, John has just as much responsibility to deliver AIW as the other two games at this point. After all, he has pre-order funds from those folks as well. He made a commitment to work on all three games HIMSELF. If he is going to abandon AIW for now then he should be OBLIGATED to give everyone a full refund immediately. By doing it your way, shouldn't he just focus on MG and cut out RAZA too?

#898 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Are you saying as a TBL guy I'm a drunk white boy?

I have been in on TBL from day one and I am still down with JPOP, so I guess I am drinking the Kool-Aid and the Caucaisians

#1048 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I don't think John has changed anything regarding open access to more info or real timeline. He's just quieted the restless natives.

What did you expect a week after this all blew up? I believe John has started taking some significant steps toward resolving the issues his customers currently have. He has announced that he is working with outside sound and sw partners and has brought on a project manager. Now there is talk of a partner with significant backing. These last two steps show a willingness to at least have some outside influence on his accountability.

3 weeks later
#1177 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

DELIVERY of our pins by Q4 of 2013 and it won't be now until some time in 2016

I think 2016 is a reasonable assumption for RAZA at this point. JPOP has said that his plan is to have "Lebowski" type reveal of MG in December 2014. Dutch Pinball revealed TBL 7-9 months ahead their self imposed production start (Q2 2015). Assuming JPOP can stick to the same schedule (highly unlikely given his current organization's size) he will not begin production on MG until Q4 of 2015. During ramp up to and actual production I am guessing that he he will have less than zero time to devote to RAZA and AIW; which will push their schedules even further out.

All of this could change if he is able to secure the hinted partnership with a third party that can provide the muscle to push production forward. Otherwise, I would say that the above schedule may even be a bit optimistic given JPOP's track record for wanting to achieve perfection at every level.

It has been said before (probably somewhere in this very thread) but John really needs an equal collaborator. Someone who is willing to say when something is good enough or that it is time to move on from an idea that is never going to come to fruition. I think having a team of designers and collaborators has helped DP get to where they are with TBL much faster than John has with any of his three projects. They have been willing to give up on certain design elements that they just could not make work and focus on the end goal much more efficiently.

I really hope that John can find a partner to help him become an efficient, productive visionary and not, instead, wind up a genius tinkerer who was never able to see his designs become a reality. He is one of only a handful of people in this business who wants to always look ahead and push the pinball envelope.

#1180 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I dug up the timeline from the owner's package.

Basically, we're 50% done the process, as outlined by the milestones.

Is this for MG? Just out of curiosity, what were the initial milestones and their respective projected completion dates? For AIW, there was no timeline provided to me, at all.

Quoted from frolic:

at some point the rubber has to meet the road.

Right on, man!

#1190 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Hard to find a partner to take on half the debt when there's no profit left. Unless he increase the build quantity.

So true. Increasing the build quantity may be the only play left here for acquiring a partner. And, let's face it, John cannot build the 200+ games he has committed to with his current staff level. I believe it was RD who speculated that he could only build 1 a week tops at current capacity. Hell, that is an entire year just for MG production alone and five more for RAZA and AIW.

#1196 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

All these custom parts, how do they benefit us?

They don't! All it has done is push these games farther and farther from their original delivery date. Part of what makes this such a viable hobby is that standard parts for 20+ year old machines are still being produced and are readily available. What will happen 20 years after these machines are produced if the custom flipper assembly breaks. It is very frustrating to try and find the 5 -10 % of custom parts for older games now. I can only imagine what it will be like to have a game with 90+% custom parts. Let's hope the 3D printing revolution saves us by then.

Support worries me too. What will happen if these games have an issue like the light boards in WOZ. We could be waiting ages for that type of fix.

#1224 9 years ago
Quoted from slapshot:

To make matters worse, it looks like he is spending time and effort with other ventures.
http://www.pinballschool.org/index_start.html
$1895 for the course and he has listed the upcoming dates for the course sessions...

From the courseware section it looks as if participants will be building a whitewood in just 1 week....maybe John should sign up for this himself.

#1257 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

It'd be pretty hard to plough through $812,000 in two years though. That's a lot of coin. Unless you were buying Ferraris, lots of properties, or mountains of coke and an Avalanche of hookers, you'd be hard pressed to blow 800k.

Maybe JPOP is stockpiling Shasta.

#1264 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I wouldn't be surprised to see 2-3 full proto next month... But what the build time after that will be is the next issue

I will be completely floored if the MG reveal has anything more than rudimentary code and animation. I would say that will be a lengthy process to get through before production begins. DP's timeline for TBL has allowed for 7-9 months of code/rules/dots development between physical reveal and production start and most of their animation is provided by the IP. I still see a long road ahead before owners have MG in their possession.

2 weeks later
#1611 9 years ago

I received a letter from John concerning AIW this week. It included an invoice and some verbiage that was as confusing as ever concerning the next payment. I can't tell if he is trying to collect $0, $2000 or the remainder of the balance. For the record, I am interpreting it as $0. The attached letter also gives an address for a "secret" web page that is supposed to contain more info about the game. The website address just leads to a page with a line drawing of Alice and the words "Concept Preview" with nothing more. John updated the AIW dev blog three days ago with a long screed about the backglass design process and said that he would reveal the artwork the next day. Since then, nothing has been posted.

Also, for the record, I have never been asked to sign any kind of NDR for AIW.

#1780 9 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

Looking around John's many websites and came across another project taking time away from projects for which he has been paid. This has been shown to owners of RAZA, but I did not realize that it was going to be a separate product/project.
http://www.pinballtruss.com
Maybe this is what he meant when he referred to the Makerbot pinball in the NYU interview.

It seems to me, more and more, that John is nothing more than an idea guy who just can't see anything through. This pinballtruss domain is a perfect example. John has taken the time to put up a website with a link to his profile on the makerbot thingiverse but, just about like every other website he has, it is just a road to nowhere. I fear that John is traveling down this road and about to hit the dead end.

#1783 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

U should be fearfull of when he shows this amazing game this month. People will become delearious over how amazing it is, and it will buy him more time. But what if he doesn't get to building them for another year. What if he keeps tweaking and refining what he shows u this month for another 12 months.... Honestly, I know it's going to be art!!!! But I still think he's a year away from actually building the 40 plus mg games...

I think he is a year away from starting to build the games at the very best. Hopefully, with all of the drama we have seen lately, everyone will wise up and withhold any and all additional payments for all three games until delivery. The outcome of that could go a couple of ways; it will either light a fire under JPOP's ass and he will define a timeline and start to build right away or he will be forced to admit the financial shortcoming of the project (if they exist, and I am not saying that they do) and Zidware will be finished. If the second scenario plays out, I don't think not withholding funds would make any difference. I share your fear that he is bargaining for more time here. After the post-expo uproar, he promised a project manager would be brought in and that he was looking for more muscle to help produce the games. Has he followed up on either of those? I think the first priority of a project manager would be to establish a clearly defined timeline. Has anyone seen a recently updated one?

#1784 9 years ago

#1789 9 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

rying to navigate the many dead ends and dead links and unfinished pages of the website seems indicative of johns scattershot, poorly organized approach to making things.

Agreed...And for the record, I think John is a hell of a designer whose heart is in the right place. If there is any lesson to be learned from all of the recent drama with the boutique manufacturers, it is that having a business plan and a solid business-only partner are absolutely essential things to have in place when ANYONE decides to go from conceptually thinking about building a pinball machine to actually stating the intent to do so. This becomes more paramount to anything else when you start taking monetary funds form customers.

#1871 9 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Jpop wanted to have that same reaction that Dutch Pinball received.

Definitely what he was after...I'm just not sure how he expects to get it showing his game to a limited audience. I just don't get his paranoia about showing things in public. What does he plan to do if he ever builds any of these things for the pre-order owners? Will they need to sign another NDR stating that they will not expose the game to any third parties?

#2052 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Is there anyone out there that has gotten to the point they would rather him throw in the towel and refund whatever is left of money to everyone? Or is that too far? I.e., would rather let him proceed to conclusion, with the risks as they are?

I get the feeling from the comments here on Pinside that most people are at the end of the rope as far as sending John any more cash. I would guess that those who are deeply invested would most likely want to see him continue. If he is out of cash and pre-order owners stand firm on not funding him any more then I guess he will have no choice but to throw in the towel. The only interesting thing left to see is what he does if the cash stops coming in and the coffers run dry. Will he then honestly try to answer the questions that many have been asking him and that he has been ignoring up to this point?

#2053 9 years ago
Quoted from Zaxxis:

A scary thought for buyers: What if the games do get built, are cool to look at, but have the rules of a Zizzle?

That is honestly a very good question and the other side of this whole equation. Manufacturing and code development, presumably, are all still hurdles left to jump. Owners may demand that the games be shipped ASAP and that could force John into a situation where he has to decide to ship without incomplete code. At the rate we have seen JJP and Stern finish code with teams of programmers, I shudder to think what that will mean for someone like John.

#2246 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I have done nothing to warrant an objection from this thread.

You are as clueless as John is.

1 week later
#2771 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Can we not kidnap JPop and force him to design games at Stern or JJP?

Where is Cousin Eddie when you need him?

#2774 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Sorry to hear a few owners of the games are very unhappy at the moment.
I talked to John about this a few weeks ago in person and hopefully he tries to correct that.

Can you tell us how he responded? Your post does not convey much hope that you think he will address any of the concerns that have been put before him by his customers. At any rate, I would imagine that if he had any intention of correcting this, he would have done so by now.

John is quickly losing what little credibility he has left with the shenanigans he has been playing, as of late. I don't think he is taking any of this as serious as he should.

#2777 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I'm agreeing with you, but saying that even 150-200 may not be enough, and unlikely he's getting even a handful to sign up to more now anyway.

Exactly! On top of the ridiculous cash outlay, how long would anyone getting in at this point have to wait for games beyond #50. Another unknown is John's production capacity. I'd be willing to bet that if he could start production on MG today customer 51 wouldn't see there game for at least another two years.

2 weeks later
#3271 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

He's shifting his approach

Can you please expand on this?

Quoted from StevenP:

the foundation for making more titles is in place.

This makes me even more leery of his ability to focus on the task (or three) that he needs to desperately complete.

Quoted from StevenP:

My sense is he takes the criticism very personally.

John could have avoided nearly all of the criticism that he is now facing by simply communicating with his owners.

Quoted from StevenP:

His 'trouble' is not much different than what we've seen from JJP and others.

If his "trouble" is anything akin to what JJP has faced then there is surely more to come. JJP faced most of there challenges and criticism during the production phase, which John seems nowhere near.

Quoted from StevenP:

I think you all will see these games pretty soon

Big deal! When are we going to see John face his owners and tell the plain and simple truth about what he has done with their money and when and if we can expect to have the games we have paid for? Because seeing a prototype is near the top of the list of things that need to happen to accomplish shipping a completed game.

#3286 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Agree that much of this could have been avoided, and it seems simple, but we all have our strengths and weaknesses. John seems to take his development work seriously and personally,

Very true! And I don't think anyone here has ever questioned John's passion for pinball. I, for one, still believe that he is pouring his heart and soul into these projects. I have often heard artists, mostly painters, say that if it were not for hard stop deadlines placed on them by gallery showings that they would never complete anything. Just tinker with it forever. I think John is caught up in this predicament to a certain degree. Hopefully he is at the realization point of seeing that he to has a hard stop deadline and that some things are just going to have to be good enough.

Quoted from StevenP:

He's much closer to production than people here seem to think.

While I don't get the impression that you are John's official mouthpiece, you do seem to have some insider knowledge and I wonder if you could expand on the above statement. Most people here seem to believe that we are waiting on a flipping prototype of both MG and RAZA. But your statement seems to suggest that John will reveal games ready for production with completed dots/animation and a full rule set with completed code. In my mind, this is the only way that you can make a statement like the one above. Any additional insight that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

#3297 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Yes... It's very costly and can last a long time... I don't know what requirements would be needed if he can avoid it or not... Hopefully he legally can avoid it

I am not an expert on UL listing but, from what I understand, it may be difficult for JPOP to carry liability insurance if his product does not have it. Which I would believe he would want just to protect himself from a claim if one of his machines were proven to be the cause of a fire or worse.

1 week later
#3637 9 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Okay, thanks. I'd be really tempted (I love the theme..), but won't after the lack of .. well, progress on anything.

Not that I would recommend jumping in but Alice has moved at a much faster pace than the other two. The Alice pre-order was started around 9 months ago and we have already seen what has been shown on the public site plus two or three generations of playfield design.

#3663 9 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Does anyone know what engineering resources zidware has access to?

No idea, but it is a great question. I wonder just how much of it is custom. Are there any industry standard mechs in these games? If not, tooling will be a nightmare.

#3750 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Would anyone really be shocked if Spooky ships game 2 before Jpop ships a single unit?

Nope...In fact I would be shocked if they didn't.

1 week later
#4002 9 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

Hey, I am the 4000th post! In on Raza, but have lost hope.....

Keep the faith man! The 100 year journey is 4% complete.

3 weeks later
#4414 9 years ago

I guess I am going to take the "wait and see" approach. Not much else to do really. I am curious as to the timeline for opening the blogs up. Should be just a tick of a checkbox to make those wordpress sites public. Seems like he could get that done instantly if he has intentions of doing so.

1 week later
#4916 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Weeks & months are ticking by with neither done. Though I suspect the art on Alice is coming along nicely!

Maybe..maybe not. The last post on the dev blog was Feb 6th and it was just a re-post of the factory stuff from the other blogs. The last meaningful posts were back in January when he revealed the cabinet and bg artwork with the atrocious looking Alice that reminds me way too much of this:

#4930 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I don't see it...

Probably just me...more so in the bg art that he posted. Something about the face. I like some of the Alice renderings better than others. The one you posted is fine as are some of the earlier ones. The bg Alice has this really stern look which somehow reminds me of Jennifer Coolidge. I am just hoping that JPOP tweaks it a little more. Color will probably help too.

#4935 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm calling him tonight and will ask him those questions given his current state of affairs without Aaron.

Ice, don't mean to load you down with questions for JPOP, but could you also clarify what John's expectations are for future payments? Does he have the funds to produce any games without further payments? At this point, I am not willing to send him any more cash until he has he has churned out a good number of MG's and not at the point where he is promising to go into production (does that make sense?)

We have all known, for some time, that John needed an external force to get moving on these projects. I just want to say a big thank you to you, Aaron and the Mission guys for stepping up and trying to do that in a positive way.

#4940 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I wouldn't be worrying about AIW at this point. LOL! If that game ever happens it will be like 5 years from now.

So true, man! So true!

1 week later
#5342 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

[posted simialr info in the Skit-B thread in response to somebody saying the 2 situations were similar, which I disagree with.]

While I agree that the two situations are not exactly the same I do find some striking similarities. John's lack of communication with his owners is nearly as non-existent as Skit-B's. Just like Kevin, as the situation has become more toxic here on Pinside, he has retreated even further from the scene, leaving communication through third parties as his only conduit for disseminating information regarding his projects. I also believe that JPOP has been deceitful with regards to timelines and the completion status of MG and RAZA. He has falsely stated that he has working agreements with outside vendors/resources.

Quoted from StevenP:

What I meant by the lack of a cash crunch is that based on the pre-orders and amount remaining due from both titles, there is enough money (based on what I was told, with no evidence to the contrary) to complete and build the games.

If there is no "cash crunch", then why is John stiffing parts vendors?

Quoted from StevenP:

As with any startup/new company that needs parts inventories for product, if a ton of people demand refunds, then yeah, there wouldn't be enough to finish the games and ship them.

Isn't this their prerogative to do? The toxic environment surrounding these projects has been created by no one except John himself. He has repeatedly misled the people who have propped up his projects financially. What right does he have to hold onto their money if they want it back? After years of missed deadlines and now an outright communication shutdown, John should fully expect a run on the bank. Denying refunds at this juncture because it would surely doom the project is just arrogant and wrong.

#5383 9 years ago

John has been pretty hard at work on AIW:

#5402 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Is John's blog officially dead? He hasn't posted a RAZA update in nearly a month?

It looks like AIW is the only one he has updated in a while. He made several posts to it yesterday. That is where the picture I posted above originated. There were around a dozen detailed pics posted along with a video and and a list of upper and lower playfield features. From the posts, there is zero doubt where he has been spending his time. As Aurich stated above, these new posts have to represent hours upon hours of work.

For what it is worth, it was not my intention to open up a can of worms by posting the pic. I have not checked the Alice blog in a long while and I was shocked to find the detailed posts which are evidence of a ton of work. All while RAZA and most especially MG seemingly sit idol.

#5486 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

.image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Anyone care to post some high res pics from the blog of RAZA in its latest state? I would like to see where it is at but, oddly, JPOP seems to be in no hurry to open up the RAZA blog.

#5489 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

He's likely toiling on editing html pages for the RAZA version of his reveal site (like MG), yet no working games to demo.

To hell with waiting on John...let's just post the stuff here...if someone will volunteer to post the RAZA stuff, I will post everything from AIW.

#5494 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't think there's really a question that he's good at what he does.

No doubt! This MoFo is really good at foam core modeling (or Carolina board as he refers to it in his videos, which was a new one on me.)

#5497 9 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

Is that a TZ mini-playfield on AIW?

Yep...with a TOM Spirit ring hanging off of it on the right hand side.

#5515 9 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

John and Fast are not going to work together.

So that pretty much puts the hardware platform back at square zero, correct? Who is left that will work on his proprietary platform? My guess is no one and that is why there is no flipping MG or RAZA and hence nothing he can do to move those projects along. So, instead he has thrown himself into AIW completely.

Has everyone given up on John now? It seems that the front line of the last push for positive momentum (Fast, Mission and Ice) have retreated (well maybe not Ice, but the others for sure). I think John is nearing the end of the road. Sadly, I don't think he sees it coming.

#5521 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

He's got a working board design that runs his games just fine. There just won't be any shift to using FAST instead if Aaron is not involved.

Is this the modified p-roc or his own homebrew platform?

#5523 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think it would be a real shame if these games didn't get made. I'm not rooting for failure at all!
But I agree, the situation is pretty terrible. And IMHO the only chance things have to be better is for people to all admit that and get serious about last ditch efforts. Otherwise it's hard to see a positive outcome. John can't just keep f**king with these games for years and years more, that's not a viable model.

Couldn't agree with you more. I want to see these games made as much as anybody. Failure is no good for anyone. I just can't see an endgame that is going to work out. I do not believe that John has a ton of the pre-order cash left and I don't see anyone sending him another dime until he can produce a large batch of completed games. I don't think there is money left in the coffers for that. I think he will continue to operate as he has until he completely runs out of cash and that is where this thing will sit. I don't believe there is any way to get through to him. Even in the end, he will still be as stubborn about it as he is now.

For the record, I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong on all of this!

#5539 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

GL Modular has been the canary in the coal mine on this project for months and hasn't been taken seriously enough.

Agreed.... I feel for all of the vendors and past partners who have been blown off and especially stiffed as much as for the owners. I think CoinTaker is in a particularly precarious position concerning the RAZA special edition. I am not so sure that they could not become a target if John fails to deliver and has no means to refund pre-orders. They are a small business that may not be able to withstand a hit like that. Did they have any sort of agreement in place that will hold them harmless in the event of the worst case scenario? Hopefully it won't come to that.

#5545 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Does anyone know who he was talking about in this post from Jan 10, 2015. Obviously another fart in the wind and this person ran for the hills.
Mystery Guest
In pinball there is a finite list of great artists, designers and software guru’s who have climbed the mountain of pinball making. Well I was able to spend time this afternoon with one of them, and will begin the process of paperwork and project spec. writing needed for them joining the software team. I will make the official announcement when I am able to properly. Jpop

No idea. Obviously someone he respects, so maybe he has worked with them before. Cameron Silver, maybe?

#5550 9 years ago

I guess posting here is one way to get his attention..... from the blog:

"All,

I have had a bunch of folks message me about items from this blog appearing on public forums like “Pinside”. These items are not meant to be distributed but for the owners here only. The items / ideas / designs and illustrations on this blog are protected by United States ©Copyright and need to be kept as “trade secrets” until public viewing is ready.

If you are the person or know the person, please stop immediately as great harm is being done. Jpop"

So much for the "opening of the gates" policy.

#5559 9 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So the AIW video has disappeared now?
Oh dear.

Yep...JPOP killed the vids so I removed the dead links from my earlier post. Took down the playfield pic too. The iron curtain on the Sekret Club has been restored (special thanks to Aurich for the vernacular).

#5690 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

it's hard to read it as anything other than him being broke and trying to use the 3rd game to raise capital.

Yes....this is exactly my line of thought, too. With MG so close to at least being a code-less prototype that, I guess, everyone hopes flips (would really suck if it turned out to be a brick after all of this, wouldn't it?), what else can we assume here? MG and RAZA owners are fed up and tapped out when it comes to these projects but he might be just crazy enough to think that there are some AIW owners who are still suckers. He sent a second installment for AIW back in December. IIRC, he was very vague on the blogs about whether he was actually expecting anyone to pony up. That payment would have brought the total investment to around 40% of the total cost of AIW. If John thinks that he is 40% complete... well, let's just say we have a difference of opinion on his progress. I am not sure I would put MG and RAZA at the 40% mark.

#5692 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I get the uncertainty and frustration with lack of communication. I was relaying general comments made to me, speaking as an individual and not as his lawyer/representative in these topics, without having gone thru the books or anything like Ice is proposing to do. Figuring maybe some indirect info was better than none. So, if that level of info is doing more harm than good, message received. I'll stop posting in JPOP threads/topics, period. it already seems like the best course of action from my personal perspective.
I. Will. Stop. Now.

I hope you will reconsider your position. I, for one, value the opinions and information that you bring to this thread.

#5722 9 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Just out of curiosity - Was the NDA written in Comic Sans?
Chris

There was no NDA for AIW.

#5725 9 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Entry level programmers out of college are now making 65k to 70k out here in the midwest, it's really escalated the past few years.

Yeah, at this point his only hope is probably someone from Nigeria or the eastern bloc that is advertising on oDesk.com for $7/hour.

#5730 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

This cannot run on indefinitely, there will be a wall that will be hit at some point.

Has anyone talked to JPOP in the last week or so? I refuse to join facebook so I am not privy to the info on the private group site. Anything worthwhile going on there?

#5763 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I don't want to speak for john, but since I've never heard of anyone talking about a video showing flippers running, how do we know if the shots are even good (or work?).

That was a point I made earlier in the thread and this idea speaks directly to what Aurich is talking about when referencing the Ben Heck quote a few entries up. John seems to think that as long as he uses his trusty yard stick to lay out the shots then everything will work out perfectly. What happens to the timeline when he gets one of these things flipping and the shot geometry is all wrong and the flow he thought he was designing into the playfield just isn't there? At that point, any tweaking that might have been a minor adjustment on a flipping whitewood may well require a major design overhaul that could encompass changes to every single part of the table. There is good reason that nearly every successful table starts out as a whitewood.

#5768 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

no one has every seen a flipping whitewood

John has shown a lot of minutia in his posts on the AIW blog and there was never a whitewood shown. Just artwork and then, BAM...a foam core model. Maybe the whitewood is the thing he keeps to himself or maybe he will do that next. Seems sorta like the foam core would be a useless step at that point. Then again, I think building a whole fucking pinball machine, including the cabinet, out of foam core is kinda weird

1 week later
#6280 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The fact that he apparently doesn't know how to build a pin given his past accomplishments is truly shocking.

I used to find this fact shocking, as well. I think I took it for granted that a well-loved, former W/B designer would be able to build a complete pinball machine. Never stopping to think that not a single one of the former W/B rockstars have ever even attempted to build a production game on their own. Not Eddy, nor Trudeau, not Nordman, not even Lawlor or Steve Ritchie! And why? Probably because they have the wherewithal to know that being a great game designer, maybe even the best game designer ever, does not qualify them to build a game from the ground up. And, looking at this list, I would put nearly every one of them ahead of JPOP with regards to being able to do it (I know, I know, hindsight is always 20/20).

The fact of the matter is that it takes more than one person to build a pinball machine. It seems , at this point, JPOP, with his overbearing need to control everything, is the least likely person to ever bring a pinball machine to production.

#6400 9 years ago

Could you elaborate here for the sake of us actual stakeholders who are not subscribed to the FB page?

#6660 9 years ago

This is my favorite part of the PR PDF:

"But we’ll never be in one place for very long. Just a
few hours on location (or less if any pesky pinsiders show up and start snapping pics of the game)."

On a side note, I am thinking about reaching out to JPOP through Kaneda and pitching the idea of a "Great Harm" themed pin as the 4th, 5th, or 6th title (not sure where we are at now).

#6700 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

This is what blows my mind. He seems resigned on failure and is just stalling for time. And when it's all over then he'll say "sorry guys, I worked 24/7, did everything I could, and it just didn't work out, have a nice life"

Just remember that the only reason John is even doing this is for the good of the pinball community. When the end comes, I'm sure he will remind us of that too.

#6706 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Can you imagine if a car dealer let you preorder a car 4 years ago, missed deadlines constantly and told you that you couldn't get your money back? Then their PR guy told you today it wouldn't be ready until 2017, as a JOKE?
No, you can't imagine that, because it's unbelievably stupid.

Quoted from rotordave:

Any other consumer item, there would be angry people lined up down the road with pitchforks and torches.

That pretty much sums up this whole shitshow. It is only because pinball is such an insular hobby that these guys are able to get away with it.

If this were anything else besides pinball, this shit would be on 60 Minutes next week.

#6824 9 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

incapable of feeling pain

"Capable of inflicting pain" might be more useful in this situation.

#6835 9 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

What if he stopped replying to all the countless contacts

"Stopping" would require him to have actually ever started contacting anyone.

#6839 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I emailed Barry at Dutch Pinball last nite, as I was curious about when we're going to see more updates - and I got a response almost right away!

Just out of curiosity, what did he say?

#6842 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Greg pasted the email to me. He called Jpop a f*ucking nihilist, and apologized for TBL being so late, but at least they had an ethos.

Whew! That's good news...I was beginning to think they were dabbling in pacifism.

#6846 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I believe some/many think John is still making these pins and those people are mad at any who are 'jeopardizing' their chance to get the games, by that I mean, they are not happy by people asking for refunds or threatening lawsuits.

Yep. We are traveling on the same road as Skit-B. Just haven't made it to self-implosionville yet. People with the same old "blinders-on" mindset. The only difference is that Kevin possibly hadn't spent all of the cash when everything came to a head. JPOP has. So, it makes no difference if people do or do not ask for refunds.

#6920 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

You think when Apple releases a product, that they are totally happy with it? Or do you think they could have done something more or better if they had unlimited time to build it? The point is, a company needs to push products out the door.

I am loathe to do this but it seems like an appropriate time to quote Steve Jobs:

"Real artists ship."

#6921 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

If he was so sure the games would sell, he could refund the deposits (of the people who ask) and he could sell the remainders as they were build like Spooky did with AMH.

Quoted from iceman44:

$$$ is needed to bridge the gap, if he can't get it raised he'll be forced into bankruptcy, which is going to happen one way or another a lot faster than most people think.

I, for one, do not believe that John has the funds to refund even a single MG buyer. With the time he has taken and the setup costs he has encountered, I can't see a way that hasn't required him to burn through nearly every penny he has collected. I am with Ice, this is going to come to a head very soon.

#6925 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I was referring to a bankruptcy situation. Isn't this the process if it happened? :
-zidware fails, forced into bankruptcy
-anyone with deposits paid become unsecured creditors
-zidware assets sold to highest bidder
-new owner of assets continues work on the game, but has no debts to any previous pre-buyers. So it is a clean slate. Any remaining deposits owed on raza are irrelevant, everyone would have to make a new deal with the new owner for another game.
The only thing that is positive is people that owed money on their RAZA only lost SOME of their money and not the entire thing.

Best case scenario would be for the stiffed buyers to make a successful bid for the assets and try to figure out a way to forge ahead with design completion and ultimately production. There would be considerably more infusion of cash needed to make this happen, even from fully paid MG owners.

On a related side note, where would a complete Zidware collapse leave Cointaker with regards to the RAZA special edition that they sold directly? Would they be on the hook to their customers?

#7306 8 years ago
Quoted from nintendo:

Are you able to let me know through PM?

Alice was 9865.33 USD

#7376 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

As Ice called it, he's just running out the clock at this point.

Yep. Just looking for a scapegoat.

#7413 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think it's more about the terms of the license. Maybe they'll find a way to make more, I think it will sell out pretty fast. We'll see!

When do they plan on announcing the title?

#7430 8 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

I am talking about the original 325 they print on premium licenses, not reprints or B and C licenses. Check eBay, they regularly sell for $2,000-$10,000 in the resale market.

I'm fairly certain they don't do reprints. That is pretty much a guaranteed reputation killer for any art publisher. The recent (like, two days ago recent) Wizard of Oz prints were only $40 each (three variant editions of 175 each) and there was a Back to the Future II print earlier in the month were $50 and $75 for the variant. Most of the artists that Mondo employees do not have the reputation to command $300 per print. Not that they are not a talented lot, its just that Mondo are not commissioning Shag or Mark Ryden for stylized licensed print work.

#7434 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Pinball, for better or for worse, is a commercial amusement thing. Not many people see them as we do, or appreciate them as we do. Get your brand on a lunch box, a video game, a pinball, a box of fruit snacks. Not all that different. Maybe with the collector market growth that's shifted a little, but you're still dealing with the same licensing department.

Exactly! Licensing departments probably deal with so many requests for product producers that just want to put a stock IP photo on there crap that they are pretty much geared only to do just that. Requests that want to deviate from the norm by even stylizing are probably outright rejected, more often than not, simply because there is no way to effectively deal with the approval process. I imagine it boils down to a "more trouble than its worth" situation, in most cases.

#7437 8 years ago

Since this topic has sorta gone off the rails (not that the diversion was not welcome), thought it might be a good time to ask if anyone has heard from JPOP (by anyone, I guess I mean StevenP) since he posted his incoherent rant? I fear this is just going to fizzle on forever. I am so looking forward to something real and different...Alien, Spooky's next, TBL production, ZY original theme....so sick of the negative bs and WWE.

#7440 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I can't see any other option right now, John's simply not gonna get it done. We have to all agree on that by now, right?

Anyone who doesn't is completely delusional.

#7446 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

How big can I get that BTTF one?

ebay.com link: Back to the Future Phantom City Creative Mondo Limited Edition

18" x 24" each so 54" x 24" for the set.

1 week later
#8010 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Me.. 5 minutes ago, I told him to get on the blog and answer his customers question. John said he would, we shall see

Can you enlighten us with a little bit more of the conversation?

#8018 8 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Maybe pdx is in line for one of those 3 prototypes. looks like the only person going to get a MG out of this is john and 2 of his closest bootlicks.

Looks like PDX was pretty quick to down vote your post. It would be nice for him to actually post something of substance and not just a quick post to say "I played MG yesterday". He does seem to be very close to JPOP. It would be nice to hear an in depth reason for still believing in these projects and what exactly JPOP plans to do going forward.

#8084 8 years ago

Did John respond to Cointaker's post on the blog?

#8139 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Maybe he's got himself a sugar daddy?

He certainly does (er at least did)...named Pinside.

#8162 8 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

I applaud your optimism.

Me too.

Quoted from rai:

I'm not kidding around, if MG was built and If it played great. I see no reason that it wouldn't sell 50 units. We are talking in the future still some time, so I could easily scratch together the funds.

I just don't know. When John started this project the pinball landsacape was so much different. The only alternatives to his $16K game were an even less proven startup (JJP) or a very different Stern than we have today. Anyone with $16K to burn on pinball today or lets assume 6-12 months from now would have so many more choices. Choices that would be at least the same caliber game that Zidware could produce with the added benefit of a better support structure. Also, that $16K would probably buy them 2 NIB pins.

The $16K ship has already sailed and it does not have an MG in the rec room. But who knows, maybe if some of the predictions that are being thrown around on Pinside come to fruition, Stern will be the only game in town in 4 years. So, if John strings it out for that long, he may wind up being the only alternative after all.

#8165 8 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

I think those 3(MG) will be it.Those 3 will be the "legacy" of this whole thing.Not sure who's getting them but I see no way any more get made.They will be sold in whatever stage of completion they are in.
I could envision them at a pinball show ala Pinball Circus.

I agree that the three unfinished protos are probably it. John might want to be careful with what happens to these machines. It has been suggested that they may go to the one or two buyers who still have faith in him and I could see this happening as a last ditch, passive-aggressive move. I am no legal expert and there are others in the thread who would be much more suited to address this but, it would seem to me, that if he turned over any of the machines then his whole "incompetent" defense would go out the window. In other words, he would not be able to argue a breach of contract if he delivered on any one of the games.

#8204 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

What's probably the most irksome is that he won't even care, because he lives in his own bubble world where everyone else is to blame for his issues and he's the world's best pinball designer.

Just remember...if he had not had to waste all of that time and resources battling all of us Pinsiders, these games would have been done eon's ago.

#8388 8 years ago
Quoted from nintendo:

Are you allowed to elaborate? Or we're sticking with PDXmonkey-style posts?

Please don't feed the troll.

1 week later
#8844 8 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

PS - ChrisVW; Why can't it be posted again?

Two words: Great Harm

#8873 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Can anyone shoot me the OH NOES GREAT HARM pic so I can see WTH everyone is discussing?

I would like to see it, as well. Any news on the letter/memo that StevenP was editing? It ahs been well over a week since it was reported here. Did I miss it somehow?

#8885 8 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

Hopefully the pf glass wont slide down like a guillotine.

Causing great harm?

3 weeks later
#14262 8 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

There have been rumors, suggestions, but nothing official from Zidware except letter #1. (It could be that the rumored offer is only to certain people and not to all victims. I mean he could have made the rumored second offer to everyone but me.)

Can you elaborate on these rumors? No additional offers have been made to me either.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jazzmaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=jazzmaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.