(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,471 posts
  • 928 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

streamberry (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (8 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider honch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#300 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Empty cabinets ...

That has got to be very disappointing to anybody invested in this project.

#305 9 years ago

I consider myself a patient man, but I think I would have bailed on JPOP by now. Good luck to you guys still in it. I hope it happens for you and soon.

#306 9 years ago
Quoted from alichino:

Seems like KISS, the only game he wasn't paid by customers to do, is currently his most completed game.

I hope that isn't true. I'd be f'n pissed.

#310 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

This is definetly true as anyone that has been on the owners blog knows that JPOP has more to show than random art and empty cabinets.

That makes sense. NOT!!!

#387 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Perhaps a dozen revisions too many?

Yeah, sounds like he is over thinking it.

#395 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's not over yet. A huge missed opp if he doesn't reveal MG.

With all the hype and delay, I don't see any possible way this game could meet expectations.

#397 9 years ago

That it does, Ice. I can honestly say WOZ is a better playing pin (and more beautiful) than I expected. I guess/hope we will see.

#427 9 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Also, what if the game is in a tight lineup and no one can see it?

Considering the cost of this pin, it will probably be the only one in the lineup.

#432 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

A certain sculptor I know may have had a hand in prototyping this.....

Looks evil, I like it.

#756 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

As the saying goes, its time to shit or get off the pot. No more eggshell nonsense. NO EXCUSES.

Unfortunately it's starting to look like vaporware with every passing day.

#757 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Well, the truth is, we ARE a bit afraid of him, because in the past when this has flared up, he did not handle it well. So we backed off.

This is the first I heard this and JPOP sounds pathetic. I don't give a damn how skilled he is, if it was my cash he'd be makin with the explanation, whether he's butt hurt or not.

index.jpgindex.jpg

#880 9 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

But if someone else does it and makes it work I would still applaud the other company. Sorry, had to be said

Definitely! At the end of the day, customers only care about the end result, not the company responsible for it.

#908 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That is how you market and do business.

That's how they almost got me to spend so of my moldy money, almost.

#941 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Here is hoping he can create the "Jpop effect"

Yes I will be paying RD for a case of beer!

2015 is gonna be a great pin yr

I must admit, a JPOP reveal is probably the most interesting and fascinating story in pinball. Even those of us not in on his games have a deep desire to see why there is so much secrecy in his operation.

#943 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

or is this a general for all to see thing?

Doubt it. It sounds like the buyers barely (up until now) knew what was going on.

#950 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

This is disposable income but trust me, when/if we get our games, we will have earned them.

No question about it.

1 month later
#1987 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No he can't. He hires artists to do everything.

If that's true, then what exactly has he personally been working on? Even time I read this thread the story gets stranger and stranger.

#2009 9 years ago
Quoted from slapshot:

I wouldn't want to see that Chris loses money over this

I don't get the concern about some vendor's bottom line. If you're in on this game, the only thing that you should be worried about is your own cash.

#2022 9 years ago
Quoted from slapshot:

That is why I would expect CT would carry appropriate liability insurance for their venture with Jpop

I'd be surprised if they didn't have insurance.

#2442 9 years ago

I'm surprised everyone is talking about how great the game looks. I don't think there was ever any doubt the games would look awesome (that's what he does), its the getting built part that is still in question.

#2463 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Yes, every JP game that's released is very pretty and has great artwork but most lack the software to make them keepers in my collection.

Totally agree. I had a CV and my brother had a TOTAN and neither were keepers in my view. I didn't care for the game play on either one.

#2472 9 years ago

It's too bad he doesn't seem to have it together, because it looks like it would be a great game. Assuming the rules are good.

#2495 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Are the artists full-time employees? I assumed they were contractors and therefore don't need to be kept busy.

Maybe if he doesn't keep them busy they will move on to other projects and become unavailable.

#2496 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

He wanted to keep the same artists for AIW, they are basically irreplaceable. Who knows if he could get them back if they didn't keep working for him. Whether they are on salary or contract is irrelevant, he didn't want them moving on to different things.

Missed this post the first time, so point was made.

3 weeks later
#3151 9 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

He is ignoring you guys F that. Who the fuck does he think he is?

No doubt! I haven't checked this thread in a few weeks and amazingly there is still no progress to report.

1 week later
#3503 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

I'm anxious to see Magic Girl get finished but at this point it doesn't really matter if it takes another six weeks or six months. I say it will be worth the wait.

Good things take time, but give me a break! He's not curing Cancer, it's just a damn pinball machine. I really don't know how some of you buyers do it. At this point, there is no way this game can live up to expectations.

Quoted from SunKing:

Disclaimer: I have no skin in this game

Me neither, but F it.

#3506 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

The only way it can exceed my expectation is if it shows up on my doorstep.

I hope you get at least that much out of him.

1 week later
#3821 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Here's some cabinet views from pinball news,

I normally like the artwork on JPOP's games, but that cabinet art is a little weak(in the first pic).

#3823 9 years ago

Now that is more like it.

Quoted from Aurich:

10932292_939448822754404_1348466... 80 KB

#3830 9 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

It's time for all you JPOP koolaid drinkers to admit

After reading most of this thread, I'm not sure who this is addressed to? There are still people that believe it will happen, but calling them "kool aid drinkers" is a bit of a stretch.

#3835 9 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I should disclose that I love the artwork of J.P and the color pallete on RAZA and MG. I'm not trying to ad fuel to the fire, I like the colors, but It does remind me slightly of the incredible hulk colors....

I think most of us caught that the first time you posted it.

#3854 9 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I like the colors, they remind me of the incredible hulk pallete

#3914 9 years ago

Not exactly a production line, but if I was in on these games that pic would make me a little more optimistic on my chances of getting a pin.

2 weeks later
#4099 9 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

Like I said earlier John has a strange almost morbid fascination with Nikola Tesla. I dont know that a lot of people share that love like he does.

Read Tesla's biography, I think you'll agree.

#4108 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Hey, when you can create earthquakes with sound waves you are a badass. To bad they screwed him out of everything and he died miserable and destitute.

Hell yeah!! Edison bent him over pretty good.

#4119 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

If the game has no hope in hell of being playable anytime soon, I think you owe us that explanation.

Pretty much comes down to this single sentence. Hopefully you get it.

1 week later
#4475 9 years ago

FFS just let it go man or go start a free speech thread, this shit is becoming white noise. I just want my F#cking game!

I don't think his posts (or anyone else's) are going to make one bit of difference on whether or not you get your pin. They'll either be completed or they won't, and people acting like this thread would prevent it from happening are delirious.

#4479 9 years ago

Good grief! YK's post (or anyone else's in this thread) will not prevent mine or anyone else's games from being made. If you think I think that your delirious!

Actually, that was my point. And yes, I would have to be delirious or at least drunk (I'm not BTW) to think the exact thing that I said was ridiculous in the first place. Buck up, fella. After reading the last couple pages, I'd be cautiously optimistic at this point, which is a far cry from the desperation I was reading about just a few weeks ago.

#4673 9 years ago

Moving on.

1 week later
#5076 9 years ago

Don't worry, I'm sure his lawyer will show up any day now and tell everyone that everything is fine.

#5101 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I hear that making pinball machines is hard.

I'm starting to believe it.

#5106 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I guess I figured at 10k a pin they could figure it out.

Maybe I'm naive, but that's actually the reason I figured Jpop's games would happen. It seems like there is just way too much cash in the mix for them to be anything other than completed.

#5108 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

that guy still lives in a caravan today

Down by the river.

#5166 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Gotta put life in perspective.

Quoted from iceman44:

hug your kids every day.

Exactly!

#5329 8 years ago

At this point, would it even help his reputation if he showed everyone a working prototype? Normally I would think so, but maybe too much time has passed for that to happen.

#5332 8 years ago

Lick??

Easy there big guy!!

On a serious note, if he just shows a working game, I think most of this noise goes away.

#5393 8 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

John has been pretty hard at work on AIW:

Neat looking concept. It's a shame that it will never see the light of day.

#5398 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

All that time spent on design, and working with the artist, and cutting foam core etc. Meanwhile game one is sitting there, unplayable.

No doubt! It's no wonder why MG isn't finished.

#5408 8 years ago
Quoted from eckelpeckel:

Mg - needs code then ready for production.

Basing this on what??

1 week later
#6100 8 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

At this risk of seeming idealistic at the thought that mg might be played one day by pinball players, does anyone else not like the idea of the ball being covered by those rabbits in the inlane just before it gets to the flippers? Seems like an odd design choice.

I think it's more disturbing that the word "believe" is written on the PF.

#6389 8 years ago
Quoted from nintendo:

Pretty sure John has a nice sawed off shotgun lying next to his Magic Girl prototype .

If he is going to rip people off , he should. No one to blame for that but himself.

#6734 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

this thread is only 600 posts shy of the skit-b thread, that says something

This thread was close to a thousand posts ahead about 6 weeks ago, but I think it's definitely getting it's momentum back.

#6735 8 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

Cirqus Voltaire is the greatest pinball ever made.

Not even close.

#6858 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

MG was upped to 50

RAZA was upped to 250

That would still make them extremely rare games.

4 weeks later
#8641 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I believe that is a possibility with John left to merely tie up design.

I'll give you credit, Ice. You're a glass is half full kind of guy.

#8666 8 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

It is a step in the right direction letting it go through StevenP

StevenP will make it PC, but at the end of the day it won't mean squat. If you're not getting your pins, who cares about some letter? A nicely worded letter isn't smoothing anything over at this point.

#8672 8 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

Just saying he is talking to investors won't cut it. If they have an agreement locked down and a plan for going forward, then that is what matters. If not, then it's just more of the same, just cleaned up a bunch by StevenP.

Exactly right! Besides, JPOP already told everyone how he feels, and he feels it's everyone's fault but his own. The guy truly is a self absorbed jackass and he's earned every bit of that reputation as far as I can tell.

#9058 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I feel sorry for John,

Why?!?! He created this mess all by himself. Instead, I feel bad for the guys that bought into the whole "genius" crap. Believing they were going to get something never seen or done before in the world of pinball.

Quoted from rai:

Every minute he delays turning the ship is bringing it closer to the iceberg.

That ship is currently residing at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. I check into this thread every few days and I'm amazed it still has some legs. I can't see it happening, but I hope you buyers eventually get your cheese.

index.jpgindex.jpg
#10698 8 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Stevenp just doesn't give up does he lol.

No doubt. It's over, flippable prototype or not.

#10702 8 years ago

This debacle would have made for a pretty good documentary.

#10723 8 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

A reasoned plan like Bill's might, and that is worth supporting IMO.

index.jpgindex.jpg
#10728 8 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

RAZA starts flying off of the shelves at $10,000 each,

Never gonna happen.

#10817 8 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

FYI no PFs in those cabs...

Same story, just artwork and empty cabs.

#10835 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Can't imagine they'd schedule the show if they didn't think they could do it,

I would think that by now, you would know anything is possible with that mental case.

Quoted from hank527:

John not working today shows how very little he cares.

Exactly!!

#10853 8 years ago

Just out of morbid curiosity I hope a working prototype gets displayed at the show. Then we can all finally see whatever it was that kept people believing the hype after touring JPOP's shop.

#10888 8 years ago
Quoted from shakethatmachine:

Please don't be fooled by some flippers flipping and some half baked toys and ramps interacting with the ball.

I'm the last person that would be fooled by a flipping prototype with zero code and probably almost no dots. I just want to see the hardware in action.

#10909 8 years ago

I'm no different than anyone else, I want to see what he's built up to this point.

#10914 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

as I think its a beautiful game

That's one point you won't see argued on this thread.

#11202 8 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Guys, this is JOHN POPADIUK. The man was a literal god in pinball.

Puuuuullllleease!! If there ever was such a thing, it wasn't him. He has, however, achieved a different kind of legendary status in the Pinball world, but I wouldn't brag about it.

#11209 8 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Yes, he put out some games with shallow and simple rules, but if you had a gun to your head and you needed to provide a pinball machine that was going to impress someone you didn't know, I would bet that TOTAN or ToM would be on your shortlist of options.

Only if you're using artwork as the measuring stick and he didn't draw the artwork, so it's a moot point. Besides, I'd go with Monster Bash in that scenario. Better artwork and toys than any JPOP games IMO.

#11685 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

What a journey its been so far.

It is by far the most interesting story in pinball.

#11691 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It lines up with my assumption John has spent the last couple years trying to get bought out rather than build a f'ing pinball.

Quoted from BackFlipper:

Yes, he actually mentioned it on the phone with me last year. He was hoping JJP OR Stern would buy him out.

Amazing!! I wonder if that was his plan from the very start?

#11719 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Amazing to blow through $100,000 in a week one pinball machine.

If it costs this much to get an already flippable prototype to a show, is this idea with Pintasia even remotely possible without anybody getting left holding the bag?

#11726 8 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Next is a video i took for showing the testing of some motors on the aux coil tests in the service mode.

Troubleshooting would have been a breeze.

#11766 8 years ago
Quoted from PINTASIA:

There are a number of people all with the name Sabrina Wei, and unfortunately some of those people have had a checkered past.

The more I look at this the more I realize the odds of this being true are incalculable. Sabrina Wei, huh? Yeah I know three of them myself, but only one of them is hot.

Quoted from PINTASIA:

So for those people who are the naysayers and can't stand the fact that someone has truly stepped up out of the goodness of their heart to help the pinball community and want to just try to dig up stuff to hurt Bill and Pintasia...stop, just stop.

Sorry, but if it walks like a duck, you know.

#11782 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Could it all link up? Sure

The fact that it's possible should give you pause.

#11801 8 years ago
Quoted from Mycal:

After watching the linked video, I can confirm that it is the same Sabrina Wei. Bill and her attended Pin-A-Go-Go together earlier this month.

Pintasia's rebuttal/spin should be interesting.

#11804 8 years ago
Quoted from gcp:

just these two links should be enough of a red flag to at least raise some questions:

You almost couldn't make this shit up. This mess gets stranger everyday.

#11805 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You can't make this stuff up!

Read my mind while I was posting.

#11810 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I still don't care.
Just don't ask me for money in advance. But I was not going to send money in advance for anything anyways. We've been "screwed by one of our own" already, so I'm not trusting anyone.

I don't blame you. Anything less than games shipping would be a non starter for me.

#11814 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Is this the biggest thread on Pinside ever?

With this latest revelation and an appearance of the prototype at a show, I think it's just getting started.

#11816 8 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Could this POSSIBLY get any more strange??

This thread definitely has my attention.

#11854 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

If there was a round of crowd funding happening, then their background and character could be put under the microscope.

Crowd funding or not, the fact that they are involved and have a shady past should put them under the microscope.

#11860 8 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

Somebody should make a t-shirt: "I read the whole Pinside JPOP update thread and survived it"

The worst part is, I really did.

#11876 8 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Bill, you MUST respond to the emails that Jim from Orange Cloud Software has been sending you before you go and show off MG as a sale generation tool. He must be "made whole" ahead of time.

Ok, now what is that all about?

#11952 8 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

What are the chances that 2 potentially interested "executive producers" are in this thread right now!

I thought you were kidding. This is getting crazy.

#11956 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Crow:

I think the goal of the trolls is to frustrate Bill/pintasia so that everything is lost once again.

Trolling? I just don't see it. I'd love to see which posts you think fall into that category. Questioning the new "investors" motives, is hardly trolling. Some transparency on their part would end the questions quickly.

#11973 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Here Honch what motives are you questioning? We have been extremely busy I can clear up most anything because some stuff is personal and not mine but shoot, its been a long day

I think people just want to know the truth about the possibility of you being involved with ponzi schemes, or people that were involved currently working with you.

#12295 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Geez Honch - Bill is a good guy. He has a good reputation. Pinside has become RGP. Most of these posts are negative. Ive only counted about 3 of the last 100, that at most said, hey we might have a shot lets see what unfolds until June 30.

The ponzi scheme theory is BS. That's the truth.
A ponzi scheme takes new investments and promises a bigger return that is possible - you all a promised the the same return - a game - no more, no less.

I just posed the question. It's out there, so I figured he should answer it. I look forward to seeing if Bill can make it happen. I'd just take a "buyers beware" attitude(not that they wouldn't at this point).

#12297 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

There are two things that must happen.

1.) People get games.
2.) People get refunds.

If 1 and 2 do not happen, 3 must happen:

3.) John Popadiuk must be destroyed (in court)

Well put. You're always on point.

#12299 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Speaking of cabinets - I played around with some ideas to do some sculptural cabinets too... Had a really great idea for interaction on this... Rough sketch..

Awesome!!!

#12320 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So much of the ill will could have been avoided had John been more honest about everything. He could still go a long way to repairing his reputation by coming clean even today. Most people don't want to think of him badly. It will not solve all the legal headaches, but could help with 80%. Enough that he could show his face again at a pinball show.

I agree, Frolic. Sometimes people (at the very least) just want to see some remorse.

#12335 8 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I'm not getting the apology sentiment. Would it really help if he apologized for jerking us around for months/years when he knew for a LONG time he had no money or intention of actually building anything.

Not at this point. Maybe initially when he realized he created his very own Titanic. Unless of course he knew from the very start that he was sunk and just didn't care. Problem is, a lot of people say they know it's a risk sending cash to a "start up", but I don't think the risk is ever very real to them until something like this happens.

#12338 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I was that confident.

I wasn't in on it and I thought it was a lock that they were going to be made.

Quoted from NYP:

Give me ONE example of how he showed any remorse for anything he has done so far?

There aren't any, that's why people want his hide.

#13172 8 years ago

JPOP's future endeavors = floccinaucinihilipilification.

That's for all you "word of the day" freaks.

#13314 8 years ago

Looks pretty, but the upper playfield looks like its view is obstructed.

#13318 8 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

I honestly thing MG is a beautiful game and the artwork is amazing. I would be very proud of it if I were you ZY.

I agree! In my dreams I draw like that.

#13393 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Thread eject dude. That isn't helpful at all to this getting done. At this point a lot of people are putting in a lot of free time to make this happen for everyone. Chill

Helpful? Not so much, but the fact remains the hype is too much. Post a video and let the chips fall where they will.

#13774 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

Imagine the positive reaction if Bill said he spent $100k on paying off all the vendors. Huge kudos. After all, this is a man worth 10s of millions of dollars, who has huge experience in turning over troubled companies, and loves pinball, like we do. Go for it, Bill!
If this doesn't happen, then people will make their own conclusions about profiteering fuckwits who run illegal ponzi schemes. Not Bill, obviously.

No way they have a hundred K into this game! Only if their deal included 90 K to Jpop first . They just want you to think they have more skin in the game than you. Everytime someone claims they helped, they say they did it for free. On what exactly did they spend that kind of cash ?

#13875 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Doesn't there come a point where there is too big a mess that it's easier to start over from scratch? I mean use some of Yeti's art but scrap all the mechanisms and ramp that don't work and design a pinball machine that shoots nice (like AcDc or TOM or TAF). This jumble of mechanisms seems to be cosmic chaos overload.

This crap past that point years ago.

#14174 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I'll simply say... prove it.

I'm starting to think you're more of an enabler than you think you are .

#14428 8 years ago

What is Bill's next move now that the game has been to a show?

#15083 8 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

Interesting. I'm curious as to what others think. It is understood that if he were to do jail time, it would be the result of some pretty insidious deliberate acts on his part. He won't go to jail for simply being a bad businessman. So if he were convicted and the charges were significant enough for him to actually do time, is that really a "dark mark" on the hobby. I admit I am new to this so maybe John is a demigod, whose fall from grace is devastating. There are prominent people from almost every industry who have done bad things and been convicted and served time. Yet, the industry seems to do just fine. I realize this fiasco has dampened the passion of many; however, would the fact that John does time make more people leave the hobby and fewer enter? Since Aurich is a level-headed, elder statesman, I am guessing others feel the same..while I couldn't care less if he does time or not. Hence, my question

You're not alone in your thinking. I couldn't care less if Jpop goes to jail (but it would be great if he did). The actions of Zidware have zero impact on how I feel about the hobby. Black mark on the hobby if Jpop does time? Not in my world. The only thing I take from this debacle, is DON'T preorder, ever!

#15103 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Naw, bad progress estimates aren't lies, over selling a sales pitch - not a lie, lack of business plan? Not unusual, waste of resources - no doubt, but again just poor management. Bad records on accounting? Sure. Intent? how do you proove. Salary w/o paying others - also is a common thing.
As much as folks want punishment - my opinion is that the legal system will empathize, but not find civil or criminal judgments.

Sir, your opinion sucks. (IMHO)

#15190 8 years ago

I can't believe(actually I can) he spent the time making what appears to be a very nice looking schedule, knowing full well he was never going to follow it.

#15192 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

That schedule helped sell me.

Not to sound glib, but I can believe it. The presentation and announcement of the game was very professional.

#15249 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Someone who shall remain anonymous who has John's ear told me something quite telling. John said "I've never made this much money from pinball in my life!". Just hearing that ...."made this much money" ...made my skin crawl. He thought it was his....not for the project. His.
IMO, he got addicted to the cash & probably still has a lot of it. It's not his to keep. Hopefully audits will happen to bring out the truth as to where the money went. If he has ANY of it, it must be returned.

Just when you think Jpop couldn't be anymore of a douche, you read something like this and he tops himself.

#15412 8 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Bill, You done with trying to build Pinball Machines?
Would be cool if you got Zombie Yeti and some of the team that worked on MG to work for Pintasia and make a game from scratch.

That's a terrible idea. Other than an artist and some cash, you would be pumping a dry well.

#15467 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Alright, let me try and tackle this point so we can move on:
You and BackFlipper are not saying things entirely differently, you just think you are. Basically, you are saying JPop paid himself like anyone in a similar position (running a coin-op production company) would have paid himself. You note his salary had no impact on the game being made, only how fast (or slow) the collapse occurred.
BackFlipper is saying JPop overpaid himself, took the profits out of the front end, and should not have been paid like he was.
You both make good points, this is what I see: JPop over paid himself as someone running a coin-up production company that had no product and no investors (pre-orders are not investors...though they were treated even worse than an investor would have been since they had no corporate management or voting rights).
JPop paid himself as if he had capital to do so, he had no capital . . . that money was not his. It was not investment. It was payment for a product that he had no ability to manufacture and he knew it before he stopped paying himself (there is no way it just suddenly hit him at Expo last year that was out of money and had no hope to build the games).
Now, JPop is just sitting back and waiting for yet another Patron (not a customer or investor - he doesn't know what those are) to come give him more money to keep up his arts and crafts show. The man should go to jail for what he has done...his only defense against his fraud is literally the "incompetent imbecile defense".

Nailed it.

#15472 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Correct - at the end of the day... this guy was the principle designer and director of what was supposed to be a game manufacturer. That job's value has nothing to do with whatever Backflipper pays his employees as he's not in the same business. The point being made was.. the wage of 90k is not some crazy number for the lead principle in a company that is also the lead in product development. The notion that it's a startup - is a separate element.

It's a business choice... which is why I hang that failure on their lack of business plan and sense. People do get paid in startups.. its not some universal law that no one gets paid till the book is in the black. Most make sacrifices in exchange for equity. Many business owners make sacrifices purely to keep the damn thing afloat. None of that is contrary to what I've said. What matters is what the business leaders prioritized and if they had a legit plan and strategy to get to the finish line. JPop DIDN'T. It doesn't matter what rate he paid Zombie Yeti, or himself, or other help as long as those rates were within prevailing wages. What matters is the prioritization and how that meshed with the company's goals. Failing to make changes when things didn't go to original plan are all business failures.
Yes, a guy motivated for success with a personal vestment in the company would prioritize getting the company to revenue generation over paying themselves full wages. Maybe even more than paying themselves 60% wages.. or even any wages. But that is only one piece of the puzzle and really in hindsight we know this wasn't the dealbreaker.
Let's play hindsight and say John pays himself nothing.. and now there is an extra 300k in the pot. What happens now?
- Are vendors paid in full? Unlikely.. he would use the same methodology to pinch pennies again. John's vendor problems didn't start when the piggy bank hit 'zero'
- Are refunds given? Unlikely.. he's not given refunds willingly period
- Would people know more about the game's condition? Unlikely.. we only now know because of the implosion
- Is the game any different? No, its still the same designer
- Is the game finished? No, its not been the funds holding the game up
What would be different? Probably the only thing different would be is delaying the point where we are now.. maybe between now and that future point someone would save the project... but if it hasn't happened by now, what's the likelihood of that?
John's salary didn't create the bad game... or cause him to screw vendors.. or cause him to be paranoid.. or cause him to run the company into the ground. JOHN did all those things.
Failing to subscribe to the 'all in' theory is only one of his faults.. and not the one that created a bad game years behind schedule.

Are you high? On what planet does his salary not affect his ability to pay his creditors? I think maybe it's time to leave it alone.

1 month later
#16730 8 years ago

I can't believe this disaster is still going. This is the slowest moving train wreck in history.

2 weeks later
#17019 8 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

It's unbelievable how JPoop continues on.

It really is amazing. I just wonder how and when this BS is going to come to and end.

3 weeks later
#17265 8 years ago

Whatever happened to his best bud, StevenP?
That guy was on here (daily ) laying into anybody who didnt believe that JPOP could get it done. It's amazing how all of JPOP'S cheerleaders scattered like roaches when the lights came on. I'd love to hear what some of these clowns have to say, now that the truth is out there.

#17278 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I can speak to that as Steve and I worked together behind the scenes trying to salvage this fiasco.
In brief he was also duped. And Steven's disappointment was the worst kind. He believed and trusted his friend only to discover that things were not as he was led to believe. And if any of you out there has ever been betrayed by a friend you can understand the disappointment and confusion that goes with it. I'm out the money but in some respects, Steven has lost more.
Heres another thing I learned from all of this. John Popadiuk is not only a liar but he uses and manipulates people. Uses everybody it seems and he's very good at it.
The lost money is simply a way of keeping score. Popadiuk's real crime is being a horrible human being.
Note to John Popadiuk: Just so you know this isnt some anonymous poster on Pinside. My real name is Kim Mitchell and you know who I am. See you in court.

That may all be true, but forgive me if I don't feel the least bit bad for him. JPOP probably didn't tell him to come on here and boast about how HE HIMSELF was privy to the prototype, that it is 90% finished and youre talking out your ass if you say otherwise. He may have been duped by JPOP about the finances, but laying false claims about progress he claims he saw, is his own damn fault. Not to mention he likened this thread to a sewer and insinuated Pinside was/is toxic, even though it was all true. Poetic justice if you ask me.

#17284 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

If we did a search for StevenP's posts on here, at the height of everything, they are pretty damning. I believe Kim though and what he's said about the current state of their relationship, but Steve did not do anyone any favors back in the day. But Steve is not the only person to have this done to them.
It upsets me that after all this, John may very well end up bankrupt living in a van, ruined professionally and personally, and still have zero remorse or ownership for what has happened.

Unfortunately, Frolic, sociopaths have no remorse. Contrition is something he is incapable of ever feeling.

#17298 8 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

"I was even told not to attend, which now was a mistake."
In addition to the horrendous grammar, what difference does this delusional zero think he would have made had he shown up?

We could have gotten a first hand account of his level of incompetence. JPOP is a first ballot nominee for the d bag hall of fame.

#17315 8 years ago

2 weeks later
#17550 8 years ago

I can't believe it, but It doesnt seem like this madness is going to end anytime soon. How long can this DBAG keep getting away with this nonsense?

2 weeks later
#17721 8 years ago

What a piece of sh!t. That guy will never get it.

2 weeks later
#18093 8 years ago

This thread is never boring.

#18198 8 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

You could always pelt him with dildos.

I hope someone would have the good sense to film it.

#18234 8 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

423409096_640.jpg
That's because she is a keeper

Judging from that pic, she's also very easy on the eyes.

#18254 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The stupidest part of his double-wide shop is he mostly used it to store junk, oh I mean "inspiration".
That's what boggled my mind back in the day. Every time I'd go there there'd be more junk. Where did it come from? Storage units? Or was he buying it?

He sounds like such a flake, it's a wonder he ever held a job.

#18256 8 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

The problem with that is it was very clear (when I examined the game at NW show) that he doesn't understand how to properly apply technology, so it is highly unlikely that he would be able to "fix" the issues we all saw by himself.
Even simple technical things, such as using an opto switch correctly, he got wrong. Ultra mind blowing.
Even if you ignore the massive failure on the technical side of things, many of us couldn't even fathom how some of the playfield features were even supposed to work (or that they would be any fun if they did).
So the question is, what could John have done in 4 months to correct all those problems that he basically created himself. I just don't see it happening. The best chance he HAD was to hand it off to a fully qualified group of engineers and let them fix/edit the design down and leave him out of it (sounds like history repeating itself...). But it is highly unlikely that option will ever be available to him again.

Amazing. I wonder what exactly was his contribution on games he's been credited with designing?

#18270 8 years ago

It was always a scam, no two ways about it. I don't believe he ever had good intentions.

#18276 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I know people have looked at the numbers, but seriously let's look at magic girl all by itself (before the numbers increased) to see how crazy this all really is.
Magic girl announced mid-July 2011. $17k each x 13 units = 221k. Let's assume since Stern spends 1-2 years to develop a new title (with hardware platform already existing, framework already existing, parts and CAD models already existing, vendors already lined up, employees to handle all the coding and sub-designing already in-house), that if you're a startup then it will probably take you a MINIMUM of 2 years.
$90k/year John salary
$15k/year in rent (for only first half before expanding)
Without paying a single artist or programmer, you've nearly eaten up funding in the first 2 years (without even having funding to physically build).
RAZA announced february of 2012:
http://pinballhead.com/ben-hecks-zombie-adventureland-pinball-available-for-pre-order
Hmmm. That would mean he likely paid programmers and artists similar salaries as contractors the first year (to the tune of $55k each over the year which isn't unreasonable), and ran out of money and quickly jumped to the next scam (err.. game title) because he needed money.. err, I mean he needs to keep the programmers and artists busy while he manufactures magic girl.. I mean attempts to finish a prototype in 4 years.
Call it a scam, or call it clueless how business works.. Hell, I wonder if he ever balances his checkbook. He's probably one of these people that thinks as long as there are checks in the checkbook then there must still be money left.

Without a doubt, the red flags were everywhere.

#18283 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Good grief.
Can't wait till this is over and he's bankrupt.

It has got to be any day now, I would hope.

#18285 8 years ago

I don't blame you.

#18313 8 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Finally read up on this all. What a sad story. Though perhaps a very necessary one for the industry and community.

Necessary? Bound to happen, perhaps. But saying it was necessary is ridiculous.

If you had truly read through this entire thread, you'd know that JPOP was/is taking orders for games he knows will never exist. He's a ripoff artist, plain and simple. I fail to see why his scam was a necessary evil in the hobby.

5 months later
#18774 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The door, another red flag.
This guy is certainly one of the dumbest MF er's ever to take a breath. I'm sure somebody else at Williams/Bally did the real work behind those games he gets credit for.
There is NO doubt about it in my mind that he skated by there on the backs of other people doing the real work.
The whole handle him with "kid glove" thing really pisses me off to this day.
How did StevenP, his lawyer from day one, not have a clue as to how bad this F ing guy was?
It was all about the books and record keeping. He wasn't about to let me "help" him out because the fraud would have been exposed much sooner.
F him.

I never understood Steven P. He seems like a fairly knowledgeable pinhead, but he couldn't take the rose colored goggles off when it came to Jpop.

7 months later
#20419 7 years ago

I havent been on here in months and I come back to find this thread still has life. Wth is going on in the pinball world where JPOP still has any opportunities? Unbelievable!!!

1 year later
#24014 5 years ago

Is there any chance he doesnt/won't pay? I hope that's not the case, but you hear about these things happening sometimes. People that are almost judgment proof, due to lack of assets. How exactly is the payment enforced, is what I'd really like to know?

#24100 5 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

So it's OK to attack me (my company) it seems?
Please explain why I am a "cancer to this hobby".
Where are the moderators to stop you from spouting your hate all over the place?
People like YOU are exactly the reason many, such as most manufacturers, have stopped posting on Pinside.......

Maybe just stop posting about it? It's probably not helping.

4 weeks later
#24156 5 years ago

I really don't understand how he keeps getting work as a designer, now that he's been exposed as a fraud.

2 months later
#24233 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Despite the posturing here, which is a bit of fun and cathartic, nothing will happen beyond giving John some dirty looks and a couple of pointed questions. And I strongly recommend that everyone attending act like a gentleman and limit themselves to just that.
Has anyone set a betting line on a sick day being used or stock answers to be given?
"There is ongoing litigation and I cannot comment" 10-1
"I'm only here to talk about pinball" 5-1
I'll set the Over/Under at 100 for how many times John will look down at his feet.

I think if you're one of the people that was ripped off, the time for being a gentleman is over. Jpop is a sociopath and should be treated that way.

#24235 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I am one of the people that he ripped off and you are way out of line.

Out of line? Why, because I think treating him like a scumbag is what he deserves? You handle it anyway you want, I just don't agree that going there and actIng like everything is cool is the way to go.

#24237 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Where did I say that? I agree he needs to be made accountable but not with threats, yelling or anything physical which others have hinted at. Jesus, do think I'm going to take him to dinner or something?
Sit next to me and we'll have a contest to see who can give him the best dirty look.

Ha!! Ok that could be fun. But really I wasn't condoning any violence, (even though he could use a tomato upside his head) I was suggesting some public humiliation. Maybe directing a few questions towards the people that hired this clown and ask them why they'd hire a known, liar, thief and scumbag? Assuming that they'd even do a questions and answers segment to their presentation.

5 years later
#24465 6 months ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Agree, Magic Girl has amazing art

And that's where it ends.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Playfield - Other
RavSpec
Other
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greeley, CO
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements
Pinball Machine
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider honch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=honch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.