(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (8 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider generica.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4986 9 years ago

Texas the land is beautiful beyond compare, Texas the country and state has a grand tradition and storied history, Texas the government is a hot mess and a national embarrassment.

1 week later
#5426 9 years ago

If he needs to be reminded that he still has a responsibility to the buyers of game number 1 and someone needs to coax him, or beg him, to finish it before designing more playfields, then we are truly lost.

What a bummer of a month to be a pinball hobbyist

2 weeks later
#6407 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I'm withdrawing my official complaint against Jpop and will excitedly continue on with Magic Girl and RAZA.
I cannot and will not explain further. No private emails please.

Great news. Glad to hear theres a happy ending for all. I'll check back in six months for the unboxing photos.

1 week later
#7156 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I also have two Shadow translites I need to pack up.

That does it. Enough is enough! On behalf of these poor souls trapped in translite purgatory, I'm filing a civil suit against Aurich and contacting whichever sheriff, FBI agent or superhero that deals with fraud in Torrence (wherever that is). We need to act before that $100 bet disappears and our (well, their) money (well, not their money per-se, it's no money-down) vanishes.

I'm also forming an anonymous group against him as soon as someone can explain to me how to do that and keep it anonymous.

1 week later
#7800 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

My $6500 lost is $6500 lost any way you cut it. That is a Stern Premium or Heighway game chucked off a 20 story building roof.

1 week later
#8420 8 years ago

I have been resisting just dropping in 2 plastic ramps as other folks do. That was good 15 years ago, time for innovation.

It's not procrastination. It's innovation!

1 week later
#9135 8 years ago

For the record. No matter what happens, somebody_ is going to post on here trying to sell us the malarkey that a hail Mary last minute deal was *this close* to saving the project but, alas, it got torpedoed by impatient and selfish customers who had lost faith.

If only they could have held out for another 6 months, and been quieter and more polite in their demands, because I have inside information that the angel was on his way down from heaven to right the ship and take over the project and pay the vendors and get JPop on task and so on... Calling it now.

#9735 8 years ago

Let us get it up to 10k posts, then lock the thread. This is only going to get uglier

#9974 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

So here's my concern, how in fact DID he spend so much money?

Or to put it another way, how can you spend $1mil and 4 years in one room and not have anything real to show for it? I would go postal if I was working 10 hour days, isolated from the world, with no progress or point to the day's activities... how can you tinker aimlessly that long and stay sane?

#10722 8 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

there are objectively 2 basically complete pinball layouts with good flow and a lot of new features, plus many improvements in lighting and display, and new toys, etc.

If the games are closer to being done than people give him credit for, and the only thing keeping a video from being shot is John's paranoia and other neuroses, this is an excellent opportunity for Pintasia to restore faith without spending a ton of money. Get two people to John's shop with a camcorder and shoot the video yourselves. I see a lot of positives in Pintasia being in charge, if they are in charge now. Maybe they can get John to pay outstanding invoices next.

1 week later
#12801 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Times like this are when I wish there was a way to sort thread posts by post rating. A majority of the extremely informative posts have very high ratings. Filter by those and you can start to build a pretty compelling summary of events.

Neat idea.

For this thread, you can get 95% of the content without any of the noise if you read only Frolic's posts. Good way to cut 12k posts into a more managable 800 or so:

(https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6?tu=frolic)

#13079 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I roll my eyes like this every time another stupid Hitler video is posted. So tired. So dumb. Fine, Ben, I'll watch your dumb video.
I 'd a lot. So dead on. Hats off to your sir for proving there is still life is that bloated corpse.

All the cool kids moved on to "El Risitas" long ago. (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/el-risitas-interview-parodies-shocking-interview)

I had a script written for a Predator one but I decided not to post it. Definitely the less hacky alternative to the good 'ol Hitler Reacts video

#13750 8 years ago

I have a question about the layout. Watched two videos and I'm still not sure what the shot map is. (for example, LOTR goes, left to right, 'shire' saucer trough, orbit, wireform ramp, inner orbit, ring jump ramp/balrog toy, palantir, gimli saucer, ball lock ramp, orbit). Just curious.

1 week later
#15807 8 years ago

First session of pinball mock court is officially in session. I volunteer to be bailiff. Judge Heck presiding.

Jury pool is limited to jpops debtors. Those of you in the gallery, remember there is a two drink minimum.

1 week later
#16083 8 years ago

I was thinking inferiority complex. All these new and "better" designs for simple parts, so his game stands out. Never satisfied, obsessed with beating the competition and stealing their thunder. The KISS mockup, knowing the rumors of stern KISS... It was about proving himself.

Edit: oh, and the 'jpop' should be when you somehow flail it around without hitting a switch long enough and it goes into a live-ball ball search... Now THATs embarrassing.

2 weeks later
#16556 8 years ago

Quoting John Popaduik from 2-page update from Jan 2014:

Quoted from Concretehardt:

Well I have chosen not to do the JJP thing of giving dates to appease the group.

At WMS we were spoiled

Many vendors do Stern work and drop us once they realize what we are doing

Also a few owners I believe "leak" whatever appears here to the other main companies

And also I choose not to give "long winded" dissertations on why things are not going at Stern speed or something else. We are not Stern.

Basically we are making very amazing custom pinball (from the ground up). and building an amazing small custom pinball company, without the multi-millions the other big-boys have. This is extremely difficult to do. Also l have to make these pinballs better than anything l have made before and better than all the "other" boutique shops now or other makers. This is easier to do. So I am watching how they progress as far as cost, play, quality, engineering, cables, innovation, etc.</b>

For example if you want a “Predator” you may get a game all wired in red wire. a spaghetti mess under the playfireld as they showed at expo. I heard it was a final proto. You will not get this from my group and that is “not” a proto. A cable is either a “rats” or "hookup" or an engineered one.

As far as brand value (we are building a brand), which takes time. you can spend ( €6.7k) 8k usd on the new Heighway Pinball motorcycle game in the UK. Andrew has done an amazing job, but for me and the value here, my games must have (and do) better artwork, cool theme, more features and super cool cabinet look to attract and keep customers. it must be awesome. I am sure Andrew works as hard as l do, but ultimately people will judge the games after 5 minutes of looking. Actually RAZA looks great, i am "very proud" of the overall pinball work. Stunning and creative. it has been much easier than MG in many regards to get the design to lock in.

But as I said from the start. this is a long slow process and not for all people. everything has to work, be tested and look beautiful and play great. Woz owners now have all sorts of issues with untested parts, hardware, lights, even though their group made a great effort Stern has 30 engineers and still sends out unfinished games with all sorts of issues, as they are cashing in now. I own a TF home PIN pinball from them and can not get parts (after 1 year) to fix the game as it was not designed correctly from day 1. it's lunacy but reality.

l do not want issues like this at all in my games other than stuff breaking from pinball bashing or other items we never saw. So l go slower. Price, quality, speed...pick 2. Things much be tested for months and months like our hardware and software.

But ultimately, I can not do this without all the great owners behind my work and I could not make these types of games at Stem or JJP, not that they would hire me anyway. We have some great patents in also, to protect our design and lcd pinball look.

An idea is a powerful thing. JPop heard about the formation of JJP and the WoZ business venture in 2011 and probably thought, "why not me?". It's no coincidence that he decided to be his own pinball manufacturer and started taking deposits for Magic Girl that very summer.

And as evidenced in this update, he clearly thought a lot about his place in the community of businesses and charlatans taking pre-order money to build people pinball machines. We have some real characters among the public figures of pinball - Gary, Jack, Rick, big personalities. But you'd never see them make an update like this. Every paragraph might as well be, "That's what you want?! I can make a better playfield than anybody!"

When rumors of Stern KISS reached a certain point, he made his own un-solicited version. Think about that for a second, he either thought he could steal KISS from stern, and KISS merchandising would be his angel, or he knew how unlikely that was and felt it necessary to one-up Stern anyway.

This is not a healthy mind. I expect this to go on for years.

#16560 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

You guys think he's evil, I think he's just "artsy" and certifiably nuts. Either could be true.

As mayor quimby would say, it can be two things.

1 week later
#16877 8 years ago

It'd probably be easier to change the thread title by now than re-rail this thread.

No jpop news to speak of, but this has become the popular chat room so chat will continue. Personally I love banzai run and consider it great and a classic, if a bit on the gimmicky side.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider generica.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=generica and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.