(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (9 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17707 8 years ago

It would have been good if Nate would have grilled him but who would want to talk to Nate if he did that. There are others like Jersey Jack and Stern that might avoid Nate if they are afraid of being grilled over mistakes. Maybe he will get to do a follow up interview, he can take listener questions. Nate did sound exhausted multiple times in the interview.

#17715 8 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

No, JFlop reached out to him, allegedly... give him a 1hr softball interview, then grow a pair and literally f(*k him under his own bull$#it.

Yeah that would have worked but I think we forget that Nate isn't a journalist so he's not used to doing hard interviews. He's done a lot of interviews with friends and this was something different.

Quoted from iceman44:

Nate is a long time fan boy of John's and I guess he thinks he's getting a raw deal somehow

Nate was pretty hard on JPOP in Ep. 167.

#17720 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You think? That's the one I was referring to and his praise for all of the "great work" he had done in the past.
I like Nate and his C2C podcasts. From the comments, I don't understand why he would give the criminal a wide open forum to say whatever he wants without recourse or responsibility. It's the John way.

Well, it has been awhile since I listened to that podcast, so you're probably right.

#17804 8 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

You call what Jpop did, a "mistake?"

No I didn't. I was hypothesizing if Nate had Jersey Jack on his show to talk about mistakes made with Hobbit or Gary Stern on to talk about mistakes with GOT art. Please don't take offense. I will go away now.

#17862 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Fixed it for ya....

producers.jpg

Thanks I didn't know who those other two guys were.

1 year later
#19937 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Quite frankly, the only thing American Pinball should allow is JPop to give a brief speech on how MG, AIW, and RAZA are finally going to be produced and then shut the fuck up.

I really don't think he should be there. If American Pinball wants to have a forum that's worth anything they'll leave him at home. Being unable to bask in the glory of publicly releasing a new game should be the least of his punishments for the Zidware debacle.

#19956 7 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Pinside confessional time; here are my big sort of eyesores that I have considered taking down/burning etc. for longer than I can remember:

Yeah, I should have taken those down. But apparently if you leave crap on your wall long enough there is a small glimmer of hope....

You shouldn't get rid of them. They are a unique piece of pinball history. It's best to remember so we don't repeat our mistakes.

I'd love to have that shirt. It might be eventually be rarer than the Magic Girl pin. lol

1 week later
#20057 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Real classy,go personal on me...

#20060 7 years ago
Quoted from Shrub_Light:

Seems to me the majority of the negativity concerning AP are from people that don't have skin in the Jpop fiasco.

and that matters how?

#20090 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Have we entered the F ing Twilight Zone? Because I don't know what to make of this alternate universe
A continuation of one of the strangest stories ever, not just pinball but it would be hard to even make this shit up. So it must be true right?

I tried to tell this story to my Dad who isn't into pinball. I felt crazy trying to explain it.

4 months later
#22101 7 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Serious question - and not meant to be taken as a defense of Jpop or go off topic, but a sincere inquiry: At what point does an "homage" or "inspiration", even a subtle or subconscious one END, and "full credit originality" BEGIN?
The timing of this JPOP tangent is interesting, since last night while trolling the local Craigslist I saw a listing for a project '67 Jolly Roger. I'd never seen or heard of the game, so I took a look...

...and my first thought was "Holy Shit, that's like Firepower's father". I mean look at it: four top lanes with center target, surrounded by orbit shots, buoyed by a cluster of 4 pops, and a center "bonus" grid leading to the drain.
Give it a nip here and a tuck there to add some locks; populate the wasted space in the lower PF by slapping some targets in front of the pops, replace the right rebound rubber with a target bank, convert to an Italian bottom and boom: Firepower.

I always thought (along with most people, it seems) that FP was Steve Ritchie's original work. Obviously the flow revisions and rule set are to Steve's credit. But the basic playfield layout seems heavily inspired if not outright reworked from Jolly Rodger.
So at some point everything "original" is inspired by what preceded it. Being forthright, humble, and acknowledging prior work can get you some goodwill. But then the where do you draw the line for full credit?

The differences you mention are pretty big and pops placement may look slightly off but that's pretty big as well.

You have to imagine all of this geometry being figured out in the mind, on paper, and then into the machine. There are so many subtle differences that you can tell these two aren't the same layouts.

#22144 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'll sum it up for you Ted.
"I'm just trying to make great pinball for the community". "I'm the hardest working man in pinball". "How much time do I have on this interview, the lightning bolt hinges were a thing of beauty and far superior to my competition". "Can you believe the poor venting system on those Stern cabinets".
"I am preparing my own rug reveal for RAZA now".
Done, drop the mic, Jpop

Don't forget to criticize others for taking his designs.

#22197 7 years ago
Quoted from AtomicChuck:

I went this morning and picked up #007 and #008 Magic Girl Pinball machines. There were 4 machines left that were in the process of being finished or putting on finishing touches. We will be setting both of these up tonight. FYI

What did AP's setup look like? I haven't seen anyone post any pics yet. It would be cool to see a factory tour.

#22216 7 years ago

Were Yeti and Applejuice just left off the list of preorders? Did JPop sell their games? How do they know a game's not coming? Did AP tell them?

I got kind of curious. With such a small batch of games, you would think no one would be left off the list. Surely it wasn't some sort of payback.

#22387 7 years ago

I bet the ebay auction fills JPop with confidence. He can squeeze out a couple RAZAs and AIWs to fulfill preorders and he's out of legal trouble. He could act like this was his plan all along and the legal dispute was unnecessary worrying by the buyers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=dmbjunky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.