(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,471 posts
  • 928 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

streamberry (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (8 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider danqverymuch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17916 8 years ago

The level of understanding of English Haiku demonstrated here is right on the level of Jpop's understanding of manufacturing.

There's a lot more to it than 5-7-5… not necessarily even that, actually!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku_in_English

#17921 8 years ago

There was a designer named John
Who wowed us and led us all on
It's not at all funny
He spent all the money
The chance he'll deliver is gone

#18084 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I don't think they will recover a dime from Jpop but if they do I hope they wipe him out

The latter will ensue regardless of the former.

I can see why someone who can afford to shrug it off might be less likely to want to be in on putting Jpop and his family out on the street. So income becomes subject matter. Fun. But it was pertinent, I thought, if a little show-offy, leaving us wondering what amount the taxes were on. Could be anything.

Working stiffs, who really couldn't afford to give thousands to a pie-in-the-sky dreamer who used that money to pay himself a big salary and be all creative, with nothing in return for their hard earned dollars feel angrier. Can't hold that against them. On top of that, it doesn't exactly give them the warm fuzzies reading about it being someone else's chump change.

When someone flaunts their money, all I think is "Well, lucky you." People who have studied success have determined that much more than anyone thought, it boils down to luck, i.e. fortunate circumstances being seized upon. Of course lazy folk aren't going to accomplish much, and are looked upon with contempt by those expending effort, and individual successful people are rightfully proud of their accomplishments, but overall, good things happening (and bad things not happening!) comes down to the old roll of the dice. And great success is usually fleeting. Hell, life is fleeting. In a hundred years the richest mofo in the world will be just as dead as you and me.

This most excellent of hobbies, which we are all lucky to have found (and lucky to have brains active enough to enjoy!), brings us together. I'd wager our average incomes reflect those active brains. Group hug?

#18147 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Will he really show up at Expo?

What I wouldn't give to have him show up being followed by a camera crew.

Imagine it with the standard "this guy is a big deal" style crew, then imagine it being filmed surreptitiously by dudes in the crowd holding cell phones. Either way, it'd be comedy gold! (Dark comedy!)

#18162 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

so magic girl going to be playable at expo?

It's not Miracle Girl!

1 week later
#18236 8 years ago

I'm sure he would tell you that he couldn't do that, he's stuck in damage control mode thanks to the lawsuit(s). Not his fault.

To be clear, I'm not saying I would agree with that... But he is (deservedly) backed into that corner.

#18238 8 years ago

He doesn't need to impress the public, just a judge. No sense in pretending MG is ever going to get made any more. Far easier to simply keep doing what he was doing, demonstrating no intent to defraud, only incompetence.

Although I'm not clear if he's still taking money in from new victims, or whether Pinside has just inferred that from his website. Did anyone ever cold call him, asking clueless questions and wanting "in", to find out?

#18263 8 years ago

Some would say your musician friend, like John, did the only thing he could do with that particular collection of atoms in his skull, seeing as how free will is an illusion.

Wrap your head around that!

1 week later
#18329 8 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

due to the fact that he is still delusional

Forgive me for saying, it looked to me all along like there was plenty of delusion to go around.

Then again, I don't know how Spooky pulled it off. (Probably not by paying themselves a large base salary!)

5 months later
#18759 7 years ago

Gotta wonder how much of his salary got squirreled away in retirement vehicles. Judge could make him cough that up.

#18773 7 years ago

So many ifs.

I never saw how the math could have worked, but it certainly wasn't going to add up by taking a large salary and renting production space with nothing to produce yet.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced he had to know he had screwed the pooch unless an angel investor materialized. By then it was too late for that to happen.

Can you believe that motivational poster above the door? "ORIGINAL IDEAS ONLY"

That attitude was a huge time sink. He may as well have decided to go with all fasteners having reverse threads.

#18822 7 years ago

The cited suit has a max payout of $30K?

2 weeks later
#18856 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

JPOP is the Milli Vanilli of the pinball world, the guy is like a lip sinking rockstar (that can't sing).

I don't see the comparison. If only he had delivered games made by someone else, everyone would be a lot less pissed off.

1 week later
#18882 7 years ago

He must have been counting on a rich angel investor appearing who liked pinball so much that they didn't even care if they made their money back. (Compare with WMS shutting down pinball just because it wasn't making enough!)

Surely the universe wouldn't bless him with all this creativity and then leave him high and dry when it came time to actually produce product!

What's that they say about the road to hell being paved with?

3 months later
#19613 7 years ago

Wait, what?

His books are a mess, he doesn't even know who paid in what?

Hey, I just remembered, I was in on MG! I must have blocked it from my memory to ease the pain, but now I seem to recall handing him five, no, eight, it's all coming back to me, yeah, the whole sixteen thousand dollars! Yeah, that's the ticket!

flanagan (resized).jpgflanagan (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#20052 7 years ago

Not only are there no preorders for Houdini, it seems to have been lost on everyone that from what I discerned, AP hopes to become the go-to boutique manufacturer for anyone who wants to design a pinball machine!

Sounds crazy, but think how cool that would be? Who wouldn't want to design their holy grail subject matter game, have it flipping virtually perhaps, and either try to get enough people interested to take it to production or have to cough up enough dough to have them make a one-off?

They could pretty easily develop a framework where most of the grunt work is done already, and you just need artwork, a rule set, and a layout. Custom mechs would cost more of course, and who better than JPOP for them to demonstrate the ability to do things outside the box?

I understand all the negativity from those who feel, and are in fact up to this point, victimized... but imagine the possibilities! This might have a happy ending after all, better than anyone could have guessed. This much I know: this outfit isn't out to scam anyone.

#20064 7 years ago

Well, I'm not up on all that, haven't taken time to listen to their podcasts even. I will say that competition is a major driving force for innovation, so it's all good!

But, heck yeah, go Spooky!

#20066 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Interesting that they added Joe Balcer to the mix according to their FB page.

Did someone say pedigree?

DUN Dun dunnnn...

4 weeks later
#20340 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Pat Lawlor & Roger Sharpe are also anti ball save. From the industry perspective a longer ball time is directly detrimental to earnings. Much harder to quantify how much money you're not making because it drains too fast.

Did these guys ever consider all the people (read: most people) who think pinball is a rip because their balls don't even last ten seconds, and subsequently don't play? Ball save ameliorates that phenomenon to some extent. It's not like it lasts very long.

#20346 7 years ago

I can see how a ball save might surprise a complete virgin, but after once or twice they ought to get it.

Then again, even I will occasionally storm away in disgust during league after an Insta-Drain (TM) and almost miss a ball save!

I guess extra balls must really confuse novices during multiplayer games!

#20356 7 years ago

Creativity is indeed most important, but like they say, the devil is in the details, and he ignored most of them!

I have to think that the "not fun" part of making a game is still more fun than a monotonous job, though. Just not FUN in all caps!

3 weeks later
#20440 7 years ago

I would conjecture the main thing he's doing is trying to keep his ass out of prison.

2 months later
#20708 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I'm sorry but I'm just really struggling with the concept that Magic Girl is somehow now finished, playing, as originally promised and ready to go into the buyer's gameroom and no one, NO one has any proof the game exists. Last seen it was an unplayable disaster. How in the heck is it now a 20 thousand dollar collector's wet dream?!.... I'm just an idiot or either I just woke up from a Rip Van Winkle nightmare.

At the risk of being political, after the last election, I'd believe anything.

#20811 7 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Pfft.. a real message would be lighting it on fire and burning it directly in front of him in the parking lot. I could only imagine John trying to process that lol.

Or hit it with a RPG. Kickstarter, anyone? We'll need several camera angles, including at least two on Jpop's face...

Simply imagining it is pretty satisfying, just think if it really happened!

#21162 7 years ago

Hilton isn't giving legal advice, he is encouraging those who were screwed to get it and describing why it is a good idea. If (when) enough victims force a bankruptcy, anyone else not joining in will not get their share of the recovery.

And a bankruptcy judge certainly can recover assets that were preferentially distributed, as well as fine or imprison anyone not going along with what he orders.

Anyone whose game winds up being seized and sold off will still get their fair share of what is recovered, but they'll have to cooperate, and join the suit themselves.

The chickens may be hatching, but they can still be used to make chicken salad.

#22044 7 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Dearest Pinsiders,
As I gaze upon the slowly lifting fog that has settled upon my view, my thoughts travel to a time when Pinside was friendlier. Battles of wits were constant, but civility ruled the day. How I yearn to return to that day.
So, after gaining an audience with Sir Robin and Martijn, our benevolent dictators, a royal decree issued forth from the fruit of our labors. And it is thus decided that a great purge will fall upon the lands of all Pinside.
Sometime this spring, a list will be compiled by the Mods of the round table, and this list will include all the known troublemakers and miscreants that soil the good name of Pinside.
If you do not wish to be included on this list, then now is your time to repent. Cease all manner of ill and bullying, and your name shall not be penned onto the great list.
However, should a member continue to cause strife and discord, rest assurred that member's name shall be included, and thus banished from Pinside for a period not less than 30 days.
So take this warning to heart. A purge is coming.
Sincerely,
The Herald of Pinside
P.S.
While the above is tinged with humor, we are serious. A purge is coming. If you don't want to be included in that purge, then stop being part of the problem.
Robin has already made a clear statement regarding his desire for Pinside moving forward. Blondetall has asked you kindly to stop. Yet the drama still continues. So no more quarter will be given in this thread.
Trollish behavior is not going to be tolerated. Ignoring the requests of the moderator team is not going to be tolerated. Being jerks to each other is not going to be tolerated.
Please, don't make us put you on the purge list. We really hope that when the time comes, nobody has earned a spot on the list.

Here is hoping this becomes a sticky.

I have seen at least one infraction already, and while I hope the person continues to ignore Xerico's decree, I did not take the time to impugn them specifically as that would also be in violation.

Obligatory MG content: Wow! What a twist in the saga! What is this, an M. Night Shyamalan picture?

#22452 7 years ago

At the same time we have those who wound up with the Predator prototypes being treated as pariahs. Last I heard they were going to have to cough them up, or pay for them again plus a penalty if they want to keep them.

Just an interesting contrast, not saying anything disparaging about either group!

#22475 7 years ago

Whysnow, Taxman, you're right, the MG buyers deserved to get their games, while the Predator protos are tainted. But RAZA/AIW victims might not see the distinction to be so glaring.

I thought one of the court documents said give the protos back or else their value plus a penalty, I dunno, maybe it was late. You're certainly more on top of it than I, Hilton.

#22990 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Mostly finished, there is undoubtedly more to come. You would need a good editor to cut things down, but it could be published or be used in business case study at your local university.

23000 posts, 99% noise. The actual distilled plot line could make an interesting film. Might not be believeable enough though.

#23113 7 years ago

Just my guess, I would think old-school designers prefer their way. Witness Jpop and his endless tinkering with foam core.

I would also guess the virtual first method sounds like what AP is envisioning with their professed desire to become the go-to boutique manufacturer. If they release a standard "roll your own" program they can then use the output from to build the real thing, it might work!

Still, just because a game shoots well virtually doesn't mean it will using actual physics...

1 month later
#23472 6 years ago

You can bet he is logging these customer service calls (on things he can actually service) to show the judge someday in order to appear like a real business that doesn't deserve to have its owner tossed in the clink.

#23476 6 years ago

What a crock! RFM did it better with its virtual screen.

This patenting of simple ideas stifles innovation. Intermittent windshield wipers, anyone?

#23479 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I think you mean RFM. Anyway, Pinball2000 was not a combination of a "video display provided within the cabinet" and "an inclined playfield provided within the cabinet" as required by the patent pending claim.
Intermittent windshield wipers was genius and made driving much safer. If only the major auto makers had just accepted that they owed the poor guy that invented that technology like honorable people should rather than act as thieves and try to steamroll the guy with lawyers.

I fixed that immediately, before you even finished your post! And no shit it wasn't a video display in the playfield (it was elsewhere in the head part of the cabinet), I said it was better, as in cooler!

And insinuating I am not honorable for simply suggesting an example of an idea that ought to be too simple to patent is a low blow. The guy didn't invent the concept of intermittence. Just as Jpop didn't invent the concept of a screen reacting to a ball. So what if it happens near the screen?

#23488 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Sorry. I did not mean to sound like you were not honorable.

Rereading I see that wasn't your intent, my bad. But I still think patents should be used on things that actually required development effort, not just some obvious idea. Still, I suppose those wipers aren't the best example.

Quoted from vid1900:

Anyone can patent anything.
It's DEFENDING that patent that can be hard and expensive.

In that case I'd say Stern and JJP have nothing to worry about. Jpop has no extra piles of money lying around for that. And the damages would be orders of magnitude smaller than was the case with, say, them wipers. His patenting attempts are just another example of trying to appear like a real biz and stay out of prison.

#23504 6 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

His patenting attempts are just another example of trying to appear like a real biz and stay out of prison.

I hadn't noticed it was from so long ago, he might have still believed he was a real business himself back then.

1 week later
#23531 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

penny's on the dollar

pennyondollar (resized).jpgpennyondollar (resized).jpg

#23532 6 years ago

All he needs is an interested patent troll. License the patent to the troll, let the deep pocketed troll abuse the system. duckduckgo the term patent troll and you'll find numerous examples.

There still needs to be possible damages worth pursuing. In this case the lawsuit would cost more than any possible recovery. Compare the number of pinball machines produced having stolen the patent (as if) vs. how many cars were made with intermittent wipers while that case dragged on.

Any idea which can be duplicated easily having just heard of the idea, without even examining the patent (thus not stealing from it), ought not to be patentable.

#23539 6 years ago

Recipients of those letters will have the option of paying a few thousand for a bogus license or paying many thousands to defend a patent lawsuit.

I wasn't confusing them per se, as I never knew such an abuse of the system existed. Thanks for explaining it, I was too lazy to look up what you suggested! Ya learn something new every day!

Sounds like some reform is indeed in order, a la frivolous lawsuit recompensation, that'd shut that crap down!

Quoted from KerryImming:

Many things are obvious in hindsight.

And licensing should be in line with development costs. Along with the cost of popularizing new ideas, I agree that cheap, unlicensed knockoffs of gadgets where the inventor or their manufacturer spent a ton on "As Seen On TV" ads aren't fair.

But what really gets my goat is when profits are put ahead of the greater good, like when Big Dental supposedly bought all rights to a mouthwash that quickly solidifies cavities and then buried it. (Although I did see some benefit from that, my buddy Tom the dentist might not have all those awesome games I can play on occasion had it gone mainstream!) I guess that was never patented then, one trouble with patenting is it tells the secrets! If it was even real; I remember hearing about it years ago but I couldn't even find a reference to it despite some earnest Googling... Still an example of what I mean, at any rate.

11 months later
#24037 5 years ago

*Accused* pedophile.

If he is innocent (and in 99% of these cases the defendants accept plea bargains, but he is insisting on a jury trial, make of that what you will) you don't want to be posting things that would expose yourself to a libel suit.

#24083 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

oldgoat is right, his neighbor is into bestiality - sex with your bff. Now if they were into beastiality - sex with animals - that would be sick.

Incorrect correction. He spelled it right.

Not to mention, a dog is man's best friend!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider danqverymuch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=danqverymuch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.