(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,471 posts
  • 928 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

streamberry (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (8 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cornelius.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10319 8 years ago

This thread is just amazing. I really, really hope to see some good come out of all this mess.

#10320 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

To be fair, wcbrandes has something SkitB didn't have. Really deep pockets.
If he threw 5 million at MG, I have no doubt he would end up with a finished machine, but that's an awful lot to pay for a custom machine designed by a piece of shit.

The guy may be - no, I've read the thread, he IS a piece of shit....

...but the piece of shit makes amazing games.

#10443 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Wow, October Expo should be entertaining in Chicago this fall.
Look at all the things that will have happened or will have to be explained away by then....

Man, I'm hoping some of this stuff sees the light at ReplayFX!

#10474 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Pintasia needs to understand how people are seeing John right now.
Best analogy is a corporate CEO, who runs a company into the ground and gets paid millions to do it. When everything goes under, he floats to safety with a golden parachute, while his investors / customers / employees / vendors get screwed. His golden parachute lands softly in a New Job, where he is paid to start the process all over again.

Ooooh! Like Carly Fiorina?!?

/bitter ex-HP employee

1 week later
#13308 8 years ago

No skin in the game, hate to see all you good people getting screwed, and I REALLY hate seeing a pretty game like that go to waste.

I don't think it looks like skittles barf; I think it looks magical. ZombieYeti's artwork is phenomenal!

#14235 8 years ago

Perhaps Magic Girl could get licensed to Pinball Arcade and that could somehow bring the costs down from their astronomical levels? Or get the damn machines to the people that already paid for them?

#14901 8 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Okay, team Oregon who secretly has the machine for some vague Visual Pinball plans, let's throw it all on the table. Here's my thinking based on the obfuscated posts thus far:
You plan to make a Visual Pinball recreation of Magic Girl.
To make a VP recreation, you need lots of scans/pictures of the playfields and plastics, right? So right now you're taking the machine apart, taking pictures/scans, to acquire that data. Must be fun...
Maybe you're taking measurements for distances so you can get virtual placement "just right" (let's pretend that you are, because that means you actually think you might recreate this game)?
You're probably also looting the software side for assets...? Game code, animations, audio/sfx..?
No wonder you're doing this in secrecy. If you have John's blessing to do this, that's crazy. If you don't? That's crazy too.

Oh snap! Did I call it???

Quoted from Cornelius:

Perhaps Magic Girl could get licensed to Pinball Arcade and that could somehow bring the costs down from their astronomical levels? Or get the damn machines to the people that already paid for them?

If this pops up as a standalone app on iOS or something, I hope hope HOPE the people who paid get their money back.

1 month later
#16806 8 years ago

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, right?

Jack voiced his opinion, lots of Pinsiders didn't care for it. Sure, Jack is entitled to his opinion, but you know what they say about opinions, right? How they're very similar to buttholes? (If you don't know the joke, "opinions are like a**holes: everyone has one and they all stink")

So it's perfectly understandable that people are gonna be pissed about what he said. But the venomous anger directed towards JJP the last dozen or so pages really needs to be redirected back towards the guy who started all this mess - JPOP. Because no matter how bad Jack's blog post made you feel, HE'S NOT THE GUY THAT STOLE YOUR MONEY. Unless Hobbit never ships, but that's a whole 'nother 15k post thread.

#16810 8 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

He's the guy who defended jpop and blamed pinsiders. He called down the thunder, now he's got it. ..

Like I said, it's all his opinion. It's not a great opinion, in my opinion, but that's all it is! So far, he hasn't stole anybody's money. He just hurt some feelings. And that's not cool, but I'd much rather have hurt feelings than a hurt wallet.

#16815 8 years ago

Hey, thanks for dissing my "simplistic" response, lowepg, but perhaps you're too busy huffing and puffing to get my point: THIS ISNT THE THREAD TO COMPLAIN ABOUT JJP. If any lawyers DO end up sifting through this pile of crap, it's going to be even harder to find the important parts as it is.

I'm not defending Jack's opinion, but he's certainly right about one thing: this is pinball. Instead of joining forces to make our hobby better than ever, we're sitting here bickering with our fellow pinheads.

#16816 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It is a hell of a lot more than "internet crap" or just ASCII characters on a screen. What a freaking joke. I wonder if you even believe what you just wrote?
This was the owner of a pinball company, who is sitting on tens of thousands of dollars worth of pre-pay money, giving his opinions on another pinball venture where tens of thousands of dollars were in their hands as well. And one of the opinions stated was that all who invested money in this (failed) company got what they paid for.
Did he say those things or not? Just because he posted them in writing on the internet somehow means it doesn't matter? Really?

Did Jack's OPINION take any money out of your wallet?

#16818 8 years ago

Well then, pitchforks at the ready!

#16820 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

and yet..lol... your last 4 posts in as many hours have been about Jack/JJP.
I'm not sure why your confused about the topics intermingling, though:
Jack posted a inflammatory/idiotic message ABOUT Jpop!
Discussing it here would seem to follow the mods intent to keep "all things Jpop" in one place.

You suffer from hardheaded-ness.

As Geddy Lee once sang, "if you choose not to decide / you still have made a choice"

#16821 8 years ago

:btw Nothing I love better than some backseat moderation

#16823 8 years ago

And I'm gonna have to agree with the person who said

Quoted from TaTa:

Everyone of you will own another JJP game.
He'll announce Pat's game and you all will be asking him to take your money!

#16825 8 years ago

Hey thanks for spending the time time to quote me multiple times and that scathing emoticon dis at the end!

Boy, the groupthink seems to be a LITTLE strong with this one.

#16831 8 years ago

I'm not here to beef with fellow pinball enthusiasts. I've learned a lot about the players and the games and the industry during the few months I've been on here.

But people are spinning their wheels now, and this whole lynch mob mentality is getting out of hand.

IMHFO.

And I'm not sure it's necessary to have everyone come down on hard on me for voicing my opinion. I didn't take your money and run.

#16832 8 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

And you would very likely be wrong just like the other person. Pat did some great pins. But looking at all the Stern pins he did, not a killer title in the bunch IMO.

Not even Family Guy? I hate the license but love the game...

#16841 8 years ago

I have complete sympathy for everyone who lost money in this snafu. Not only that, but I don't even AGREE with half the shit the guy said in his blog post, ESPECIALLY the "you got what you paid for" part. But, for the millionth time, it's merely his opinion! And if people don't want to buy a JJP pin because of it, then more power to them!

I just don't think that will happen. People were willing to put down money sight unseen on JPOPs stuff, because they love the hobby. When JJP unveils their next title, everyone will be collectively oohing-and-ahhhhhing and putting down preorders.

Well, maybe not EVERYONE. Plenty of people are understandably weary.

And what did I mean by "join forces"? I dunno, myself. I was speaking passionately and I got over my head.

#16850 8 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

Well...no it's not "just" an opinion. He's holding money in the same manner that Jpop did. If you can't see the issue in how that's more than a simple expression of opinion, you're not standing on level ground.

The difference is, JJP has shipped a game. JPOP has not.

I understand people are frustrated that The Hobbit isnt out yet. But it's not the same thing at all.

#16856 8 years ago

I wouldn't say you're doing a great job of biting your tongue. Or not mashing your keyboard.

#16857 8 years ago

Forgot to add an emoticon

#16860 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

We've got your point, 30 posts about the same thing. We get it, Jack is a good dude although he supports John and bans people for pasting his own letter, he's a good dude.

Well since I didn't say he was a "good dude" once and you're repeating yourself hysterically, I don't think you've got it quite yet.

#16867 8 years ago

2 months later
#17761 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You guys are a tough audience. We all knew that the interviewer was gonna have to kiss ass or this thing wouldn't have happened at all.
You don't like it? Get your own podcast and talk Jpop into coming on your show, and somehow get him to sit there for 2 hours while you berate him. Good luck with that.

This whole fiasco makes me want to start a podcast to do just that! So I'm going to actually consider your well wishes to be sincere, 'cause I'm gonna need it!

#17841 8 years ago

For all of those who got scammed by JPOOP: if the guy was able to produce the machines you paid for, would it make things right? I know he says the money is gone so no refunds, but if he somehow was able to make the games - Illinois has a lottery, right? - could his reputation be salvaged?

#17868 8 years ago

Austin is the best part of Texas.

Sincerely,

A Hippie

11 months later
#19348 7 years ago

Well this is some fascinating shit right here.

#19515 7 years ago

(Since I've been lynched out of the other happening JPOOP thread)

...regardless of his business acumen, the guy made some great games. Some great, well-rounded, full packaged games. I realize he didn't do ALL the work with ALL the games he worked on. And maybe much less than I give him credit for. But take any JPOOP game and go through the following checklist:

[ ] amazing art package, from the PF to the backglass
[ ] well thought out themes intergrated beautifully with the game
[ ] incredible sound design
[ ] innovative gimmicks

Aren't those the things any pinball enthusiast worth their weight in silver balls are looking for?

So while there might be numerous reasons why JPOOP was the only designer from the golden era not contacted by Stern or JJP (personally, I'm leery of anyone who tucks a t-shirt into their pants, but that's just my own thang) to work for them, there are also numerous reasons why people gave the guy money sight unseen. And lots of good reasons why Pinball Arcade has decided to showcase his designs.

#19525 7 years ago

Oh, believe me, I think he's truly a shitbag who shouldn't be running his own business. And I totally feel for the people that gave him money - if I wasn't such a poor muhfuh, I'd have given the dude plenty of money too!

I just don't feel that history should be re-written to be like "oh well, it's not like his games are so great".

(PS anyone know where I can read more about what led to JPOOP not completing WCS? It's a fascinating subject)

#19531 7 years ago

So, guys? I'm going to the unveiling.

#19533 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Pictures and/or video please!

Oh of course. I'm actually doing freelance for a pinball website, and this is sorting out to be the story of the year, no offense to JJP #3 or Batman66 or whatever.

#19551 7 years ago

I am on some incredibly "WHAT IF" proposition.

WHAT IF these pinball machines that people are owed to them get made.

WHAT IF they're actually a lot of fun.

WHAT IF WHAT IF WHAT IF.

I'm actually scared shitless to figure these dudes out.

1 month later
#20245 7 years ago

Sorry guys. I got hit by a strange form of... ethnic lightning and had to spend a month recuperating. Glad to be back among most of you pinball enthusiasts!

So, you guys hear any juicy gossip or anything? I hear expo was a real humdinger!

#20247 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Nah... it's been pretty quiet and boring around here and Expo was a no-show.

Totally dead, nothing to be seen anywhere.

#20255 7 years ago

Now that it's all over but the screaming...

This last month has been quite exciting for me. I'm not a journalist (as many nice, wonderful human beings have already commented), just a guy who loves pinball and wanted to deliver a good scoop to the pinball community. I never thought the people at American Pinball would take me seriously, so when they responded to my inquiry about the machine I used every last dime I had to go to Vegas and check it out.

It was a strange trip, too! Unlike any of my other Vegas excursions. I hardly drank, didn't gamble (okay $20 on a spin poker machine)... I tried my best to stay focused and do what I came to do, and no
matter what anyone says, I did what I set out to do.

Now that it's all over with... I wonder if I did get punk'd a little bit. Maybe Thunderbolt Levi is correct; maybe they didn't get a "real" journalist to come in and check it out because I'm a nothing nobody who would be dazzled by the proverbial, non-flipping box of lights.

But as dazzled as I was (and I was yawl, good god I was), I was actually more excited by Joe Balcer's presence! That dude has been involved with so many incredible pins, I was really having a hard time holding my fanboy-ness to myself.

Do you know how HARD it was for me to keep my mouth shut about that? They weren't sure of what Joe's involvement was going to be, so they didn't want me to mention him. Even though I was dying inside to do so! I think that would have legitimized things so much.

But, alas. And of course I had to go and get a month ban the day before the reveal. Probably for the best though, as I would have gone apeshit on the naysayers.

And speaking of: I really, really, really don't get the naysayers. I understand people being pissed about JPOP. But it almost seems to me that people would rather be on some "I told you so! JPOP sucks!" shit than to actually see people get their Magic Girls, or see Houdini come to light. And that makes me sad. I really, really wanted this to be a happy ending, a cinderella story, not to be all negative and solemnly swear that no good will come of this.

And then Expo happened.

I don't know or even remotely understand why it went from being shown in a cabinet to just the playfield on a table. I don't know what happened to the Magic Girl promise. I feel like a sucker. And that sucks because it ended up validating the naysayers.

So here we are. I still hope with all my evil might that people will get their Magic Girls. I hope that Houdini will be made. But that hope is fading fast.

Big ups to Minus World and Mr68. You were both very helpful in my time of need.

#20258 7 years ago

Ben, did you talk to the American Pinball camp at all at Expo?

#20260 7 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Please take no offense when I say,
What the hell are you babbling about?

I'm the guy who wrote this: http://www.pinballnews.com/news/americanpinball2.html

Hope my babbling has context now.

#20263 7 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

O.k. Just read all that. Didn't know you were involved in pinball News. I listened to their talk at Expo and asked a few questions. Also saw the playfield. I wasn't at all impressed with them as a company or Houdini. Sure it looked pretty, but it didn't seem like it was gonna work. A little surprised you bought into their hype.

I'm a little surprised myself, frankly. But again, I tried to give the people a scoop, and I think I did. Really wish I could have said or shown more, but ah well.

Quoted from Fulltilt:

In reading through your article, it is glaring that the perception you portrayed for AP is that if they somehow cover all the "Magic Girl" loss, then all of the JPop concerns will go away and it's Happy Days Are Here Again. It's clear that the problem is a good bit deeper than that.
There are more stakeholders in the Zidware collapse than just the few Magic Girl customers. Making Magic Girl buyers "whole" is certainly a nice offer, but it leaves a good bit more of us High and Dry.

This is true, this is very true. The way I imagined the scenario was:

-MGs get made for the MG buyers.
-Houdini goes on sale.
-AIW / the zombie game owners get credit towards Houdini or the next pin
-JPOP gets out of the shithole he dug for himself, makes more games
-Joe Balcer keeps JPOP in line

That doesn't explain how Zombie Yeti gets paid. Or Wolfmarsh. I don't like that, but I was hoping that the above things would happen and then behind the scenes, other people would get their due. Am I naive? I probably am. But I like I said, I love a good Cinderella story. I think a person with your avatar could appreciate that.

#20266 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Wow! Just wow. A perfectly run pinball company would be lucky to be profitable within a few game titles. The idea that one could start up and be so profitable that they could literally give away machines to people is ridiculous. What is it about Jpop that makes people completely lose their minds???

Scott worked with JPOP at Zizzle.
Scott knows JPOP's potential.
Finds someone with a lot of money and access to cheap hardware

I guess it's because JPOP makes great games is that people lose their minds. And what I saw in Vegas sure looked purty. I drank the Kool-aid too, right? But at least I got off my ass and did something.

#20267 7 years ago

Did you register your concerns that you've mentioned on Pinside with them? I know you claimed to be physically hurt by the Houdini playfield.

#20269 7 years ago

He clearly knew what was up when I met him as well, but it seems like something changed between when I talked to him and when you did.

(He also spoke very highly of Spooky)

#20271 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I also spoke with Joe. He for sure knows there were a lot of issues with the playfield layout.

And so maybe this is where I got the cards-close-to-the-vest treatment versus what you got.

#20275 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

As they say in poker, "If you’ve been in the game 30 minutes, and you don’t know who the patsy is, you’re the patsy." -- Warren Buffett.

Boy between this and the neg bombing, I'm feeling the love.

#20281 7 years ago

Give it a rest already, Lightning Levi. You're a broken record. Everybody knows you know everything, give the other people a chance to talk.

#20283 7 years ago

oh you're "allowed" to do whatever you want, Lightning Levi. I can imagine (painfully) what you must be like if you feel your right to be a trolling d!ckhead was impeded.

It's just amazing how you are so completely lacking in tact, shame, or decency. Jersey Jack himself already told you that you don't know Jack (sh!t), so i don't wanna be redundant.

#20284 7 years ago

also what the fark is with the "corny tim" and "goatee tim" stuff? LOL are you in third grade? Way to live up (or down) to your manchild-ness, Lightning Levi.

#20286 7 years ago

Too mean? Worse than calling me an unemployed nobody, amongst the rest of your catty comments?

I mean, make fun of my goatee, that's, uh, whatever? I could say that you look to be extremely follicly challenged on your head, and wouldn't that be ridiculous?

I give as good as I get, Lightning Levi. i'm just not in the protected class of Pinsiders.

#20289 7 years ago
Quoted from SimonBaird:

Real journalist have editors to help them seperate emotions from content and keep an objective perspective.

i didn't want to have this huge block of quoted text but I appreciate your comments, Simon.

Like I said, I'm NOT a journalist. Just a pinball fanatic. I wanted to give people the "real deal", whether it was absolutely nothing or very little something. If I just met with Scott and Dhaval, I would not have been as impressed with the box of lights. But Joe being there? Seemed very legit. Why would this dude with so many years of experience in the pinball industry under his belt want to throw his good name away on some shit show?

Something happened between the time I met with them, and the expo. I'm dying to know what. That, to me, is waaaaaaay more interesting than a bunch of know it alls going "I TOLD YOU SO! I TOLD YOU SO!" Nobody who lost money in this fiasco wants to hear that.

#20290 7 years ago

Come on guys, let's be serious here for a moment.

IMG_5090 (resized).JPGIMG_5090 (resized).JPG

#20291 7 years ago

Sooooooo I just got a warning about my behavior. I'm really tired of being overly moderated, so i'm just going to ignore a few people and move on. I'm tired of being Pinside's bad guy.

#20294 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I firmly believe "the thing that happened" was they learned how bad the Zidware situation really was. Houdini provoked a reaction from the internet, and every move since has been about distancing themselves from Zidware.

But how could two savvy businessmen and one pinball developer get hoodwinked so badly? J-Pop isn't Kaiser Soze, just a terrible businessman. Wouldn't these people do their due diligence? Let's say that Scott and Dhaval had the wool pulled over their eyes. I can't believe Joe would get involved as well!

And all the talk of Magic Girl getting made. The pics of cabinets! What the hell happened?

Quoted from benheck:

Did you see the cabinet drawings at Expo? They're changing all the art, putting the LCD in the backglass, changing the cabs. They're not using Zidware driver boards either - that's a pretty serious red flag.

I knew that they were making a lot of changes. But taking it out of the cabinet?? There was nothing all "Zidware"-esque about the cabinet I saw in Vegas. The most Zidware things were the monitor on the playfield (which you said repeatedly was mounted incorrectly) and the lightning bolts on the metal crossover ramp.

Maybe J-POOP IS Kaiser Soze.

1 week later
#20330 7 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

Cornelius: Just another one of the never ending jpop fan boys, drinking the cool aid and trying to con people into joining the cult of jpop, zidware ,ap. etc. Sell crazy somewhere else.

I still don't know what this means at all

2 weeks later
#20390 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

"They" are a company that has no idea how pinball design works (or trusted John when he probably told them the playfields WERE done). John (who is a consultant on this project) also doesn't know any better (even though he worked for Bally for 10 years) , hence why artwork was done on 3 games before the layouts were tested and verified.

But half of "they" had already worked with John in the past (on Zizzle), and the experience seemed to have been worthwhile enough to get all parties working again with one another.

#20391 7 years ago

Reading this: http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/hsa071516magicgirl.html

...is very enlightening. The debacle with the primer is either a crazy act of sabotage or a painful reminder of people not knowing what in the eff they were doing.

#20397 7 years ago

That's a terrible analogy.

#20405 7 years ago

Analogy is not decent. It even borders on misogynistic, if you ask me (failure = Sharon Stone, success = Robert Downey Jr. or Steve Jobs).

Did Sharon Stone rip off anyone investing in her by not delivering what was required of her? Not that I'm aware of. Has her star been diminished over the years? Sure, but she also was dealing with a brain tumor. I don't THINK Jpop has a brain tumor, but that would explain a lot.

BTW this isn't some ridiculous "SJW" posturing, either. Just taking issue with the analogy.

#20410 7 years ago

Please, @iceman44.. you wouldn't know an analogy if it was at the bottom of whatever you're drinking. Thanks for the neg!

#20412 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I guess you are right, those "analogies" are tough ones to figure out. You are welcome, you deserve it.

Dude I don't know know what you're blathering on about at all... perhaps you should read back a few posts rather than drunkenly lashing out at me.

#20416 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Hey! Cut it out!
Pm eachother!
This is a happy place where we barf on jpop!

You're right. I can't think of anything more ridiculous than spending the day before thanksgiving arguing with a drunken men's rights activist. My bad.

(Still a shitty analogy though)

2 months later
#20760 7 years ago

I'm hoping to get more info soon...

#20762 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

On which aspect?

All aspects. I got an email from Mr. Popadiuk a few weeks ago in response to my request to talk to him; unfortunately, I got the email the same day my father-in-law passed away so I didn't respond to it immediately.

Fingers crossed! Fingers crossed that the people that bought MGs get them, fingers crossed that the game will have been worth the wait, fingers crossed that the people who worked on the game get properly compensated for the work they put into it, fingers crossed that Crazy Levi ends up having to play a MG in competition and it somehow falls on top of him. Fingers crossed!

#20764 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Did he agree to talk?

Yessir.

#20766 7 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

If zombiyetti does not get a game, it really feels like everyone else should kind of crap on this as well. The ONLY reason this game is what it is, is due to his artwork. As others have said, the game barely flipped and was a mess, but everyone still wanted it because it was amazing to look at.

Totally agreed to the former, but as far as the latter is concerned: the game that people barely flipped was a long time ago. Hopefully it's in a much better state now.

#20768 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Well folks, the request lines are open! Send Cornelius your very best JPop questions to be asked! No holds barred!
Seriously, there are some legit questions that you may not think of to ask him, so i am sure the pinside crowd can offer up some good ones. Doesn't mean JPop will answer them.

Great idea! But perhaps people should PM them to me. Too pitchfork-y and the guy might get reluctant to talk.

#20820 7 years ago

So let's just say, for poops and giggles, that MG ends up being a fantastic game. Will any members of the angry, pitchfork and torch wielding mob end up apologizing for all the crap they've spewed throughout this thread, or is it, you know, all a part of making pinball (which is hard)?

#20823 7 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The game could literally jump out of the box and start giving me a hand job and I would still think Jpop is a piece of shit and the game is worthless.
MG is such a small part of his fuck up, but I can't fault people who are owed a MG from grabbing theirs if the chance appears. Feeling good about the game is a different story. Lots of people will never be made whole, and the games wouldn't exist without them.

Okay, I can completely understand where you, as someone who had business dealings with Zidware, would have this opinion. And I certainly don't fault you for it. But let me ask you this: did you ever think MG would EVER see the light of day? And now that it is actually a thing, might there be the slightest chance that the people that haven't been made whole end up as such?

#20825 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

This was a full on debacle not just for MG owners, but for RAZA and AIW owners as well. JPop seems to have handled it about as badly as you could (with the possible exception of a Mr. Kulek in another thread). New MG games almost seem like too little too late. Kick people in the jewels enough times and then hand them a game that they paid for many, many years prior? Yeah, no apologies from them are necessary. JPOP is WELL behind in that category (apologies) himself.

My own, personal, perhaps misguided opinion is: JPOP is a terrible businessman, Kulek is a con man. The former I have a slight bit of empathy for; the latter I hope dies in a fire.

But that's my own personal bias speaking. I love me some JPOP games (other than SWEP1), whereas Kulek is just some choad who made a Duck Hunt homebrew.

#20828 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Recently caught up and read both threads in their entirety and it gave me good perspective on both. Don't forget that there are several vendors, artists, and programmers that have either been paid very little or nothing for their efforts. "Bad businessman" is a bad euphemism for what John has been.

But (again, IMHFO), I don't think John set out to deceive people, whereas I think Kulek did. It doesn't make it better in the end though.

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

To be clear, I was not a zidware customer and never will be.

My apologies; I thought you were attached to the MG thing for a little while. I didn't mean to discredit you.

#20883 7 years ago
Quoted from ShinyNick:

Jpop just sent a pics link - I'm MG#006, I hope its in there somewhere!
http://www.zidware.com/inventor/magicgirl/images.html

Damn, it's puuuurty

#20885 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Everyone here seems to know something about Dutch Pinball that I don't. Care to give some info?

Behind the scenes parts fiasco with both sides blaming each other. In addition, only 300 TBLs are going to be made.

#21027 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Now I know you are a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

It's because he's going to be on his show. Between that and his "bububu don't trigger my punk rock gurl!", his hypocrisy is shining. No matter how many tournaments he wins.

#21029 7 years ago

I did a complete 180 on Kaneda after getting to know him. I don't agree with everything he says and does, but he certainly is passionate. As someone who has their passion for pinball misunderstood by over sensitive types, I empathize with the dude.

But this isn't about him, or Crazy Levi, or me. It's about Magic Girl.

#21033 7 years ago

It's funny; I was just playing at Pinball Land, where real pinball players go, and all night long I heard people talking about how wonderful Theater of Magic is. And yet the same people do the same bleating about how "JPops games kinda suck".

I dunno. I wish I did something that kinda sucked but people would give me beaucoup bucks to create something for them.

#21104 7 years ago

The guy puts up some video and just because he's not a pinball wizard, he gets shit??! Only on Pinside.

I appreciate your effort, fattrain . And I'll be thankful when better footage shows up.

I'm sure we'll get video of Crazy Levi playing Kaneda's Magic Girl within a few days.

#21122 7 years ago

Yeah @vidgameseller, YOUR attitude sucks.

#21304 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If someone really wanted to pay me an ugodly sum to try to turn their MG into an actual working pinball machine, id consider it and Shame wouldn't be part of the equation

Something tells me "Shame" is NEVER part of the Crazy Levi equation.

#21308 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Look, not starting a fight, but you just contradicted yourself. "Zidware is bankrupt now." Then "if the other creditors forced him into Involuntary bankruptcy".

Ooooh boy.

#21648 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

yeah, the day I send anybody unsolicited hate mail, emails, facebook messages, go after them at work, or write crazy blogs about pinside enemies you might have me there.

Holy shit dude, you came after me on Facebook and Soundcloud! You're such a fucking hypocrite it's painful.

#21650 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's a really good idea, cause nobody ever argues or trolls on Facebook.

Well, of all the pinball groups I belong to, ain't nobody talking the non-stop mess that you spew on a minute by minute basis here on Pinside.

#21653 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

to be fair, Crazy is in his user name. Full disclosure

I'd have given him props if he would have used "Crazy Levi" when he stalked me, but it's always some other psuedonym that he uses on other forums.

This guy is on some strange shit.

#21669 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Just add bourbon.
Is that the best you got after I just demonstrated you to be 100% wrong?

He's not wrong, you're not wrong, if someone at the party that you're awesome at said "hey, that kinda sucks what you're saying, could you please knock it off", would you chill or would you call them a snowflake?

But seriously, MG is more fun to talk about than this.

#21670 7 years ago

CrazyLevi has some really thin skin though whenever he gets offended.

Just sayin'

#21676 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Wow. Pot meet kettle

Sober up, cowboy. I know how tough my skin is. You're not on my ignore list, are you?

#21693 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That's funny.
I'd hate to hurt your feelings and get all butthurt like you do in following me around and stalking me with downvotes

It's not like you're not doing the same to me, Mr. Self Awareness.

#21761 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Everything is offensive nowadays. Everyone is a victim.
Who's leading the charge vs. special K serial? Special Olympics.
Ok back to watching longtime members peel the onion!

It's "cereal".

Yours,

A spelling special snowflake

#22235 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

MAGIC GIRL: What it does and doesn't do…..VIDEO
» YouTube video

Fantastic video! It broke my heart, but it was fantastic to watch.

#22239 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

More like broke some wallets.

I've been poor / lower class pretty much all of my life. I can only dream of giving someone $12k to make a pinball machine, sight unseen. So I can only really imagine how much it sucks to have paid all that and have gotten... this.

The thing that breaks my heart is that I'm a total JPOP fanboy and I really, really, hope against hope, was hoping he would come through in the end. But that video makes it clear, this whole thing is a shitty rush job. The magna save is now a piece of plastic?!?! So no multi ball?!? I can taste metal, I'm so furious.

#22240 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Won't be long before K can sell his game and recoup his publicity investment. It was a cost effective move for him

Once word gets around how it plays, you think anyone is going to pay even a quarter of what he did?

#22374 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Or how bad do you feel for the guy behind WOOLY? Scraps together for years... builds.. what.. 5 games? And is largely overlooked.. JPOP creates a jFlop... people are willing to throw money at each other just to say they have one.
Unfreaking believable and a bizzaro world we live in.

It's really not as bizarre as some people are making it out to be. Anyone who has downloaded Pinball Arcade has played a JPOP pin. He is well known. That's why people throw money at him.

#22383 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I'd agree with that.. if it were 2011/2012... but it's 2017 and we know what is at stake now.

"We" =/= everyone who buys pinball machines.

Most people I know with collections hate the internet in general, much less us bickering bozos on Pinside.

When you look at the history of TOTAN on Pinball Arcade, it doesn't include how JPOP can't work unsupervised.

#22384 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I disagree.....lol!
No way. No one is going to put any money in a pre-order at this point on a start-up unless it's a nominal deposit. Like $250 or less. Even then, probably not.

I respectfully disagree. WC Fields said something, can't quite remember what it was...

#22430 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No one is going to pay 20k+ for Magic Girl who doesn't know exactly what the hype/drama is about.. pinside or not.

And yet...

#22620 7 years ago

#22650 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

Ice, thanks for your PM.

Yours didn't have the title "F you Pinballs", did it? Mine did.

Well, I mean, it was "F you Corny", not "F you Pinballs", because that would be weird.

#22695 7 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

how that whole "be nice on pinside" thing working for everyone?

F that!!

#22725 7 years ago
Quoted from VegasAlleycat:

Sounds like owners are going to have to pay for "mods" that were original features that they shouldn't have to pay for!

Un-f'ing-believable.

#22853 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Houdini is shown in September. The community starts analyzing the hell out of it and it's quickly determined that it's not a game.
Realizing (only now) they've bought a pig in a poke, AP hires Balcer in time for Expo to shore things up. nd new art sample shows LCD being moved.

Your timeline is incorrect. Mr. Balcer was in the room when I went to see the Houdini unveiling; they (the AP people) didn't want me to mention his involvement because they weren't entirely sure what his role was going to be.

#22857 7 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

If you own one, you are NOT a cool guy trust me.

Aw come on. Isn't this painting with too broad of a brush?

#22858 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

That's the part that baffles me... how they jumped into this without doing their homework..

Scott worked with JPop on Zizzle, had no issues with him then.

#22860 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

There are guys I was close with in High School... that doesn't mean they are the same people now, or that I'd buddy up with them now without checking out what's happened in 25 years. IE: Past relationships without recent context are flimsy.

Everything was fine with JPOP and AP as of Sept. 2016. Man, you DO like to argue, don't you?

#22864 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Yes, until the REAL story came to light

Right. Something happened between the time Houdini was unveiled in Vegas and Expo. But that doesn't change what I said to Flynnibus.

#22867 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

LOL WUT?
You pointed to Scott trusting JPOP based on a business relationship from over a decade ago. They worked together with Zizzle... Zizzle was a decade ago.
And trying to borrow other people's attempts at insults is lamer than the first guy.

Let me help with your reading comprehension:

- I asked Scott why on earth he'd want anything to do with JPOP given his Zidware fiasco
- Scott replied "I worked with him at Zizzle, he's a good guy" (heavily paraphrased but you get the point)
- This discussion took place September 2016

Get it now?

#22872 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I know what you reported he said back then. My comment doesn't change.. nor the follow-up to that. Scott's conclusions in Sept 2016... are just as insane then, as they are now. Their history from Zizzle in the mid 2000's isn't really representative of JPOP in 2016... might have been a good idea for him to check that out before getting in bed with him again a decade later.

You're determined, I'll give you that.

#22873 7 years ago

The Magic Girl fiasco might be painful for some, but not a good story? This has the makings of a book. Hmm.

#22878 7 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

If I drank this would be a good drinking game. Every time you post the imo we take a shot.

Wooo man! Alcohol poisoning ahoy!!

#22987 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The fascination with him didn't really seem to start till 5 years ago when all the fresh meat came in.

Which, coincidentally, is right around the time The Pinball Arcade came out... with TOTAN as the free table.

You've said on multiple occasions that JPOPs games aren't tournament friendly. Why? I have never seen one in a tourney either. Are they too easy to exploit?

#23019 7 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Wow, is there no working mulitball or anything? 10 minutes of loop and spinner shots with pretty much nothing happening. The upper right part of the playfield might as well not exist, the ball doesn't go there. Blech.

Yep. Exactly what I was thinking. And what was with that target to the right of the spinner? Didn't it seem like it totally should have been a ramp shot?

Damn. 10 minutes, no multiball, no modes started. But cool music, call outs and lights.

Has there ever been a pin so incomplete?!? Anyone saying WOF is a POS should consider this JPOP gem.

Oh, my disappointment is tangible.

#23127 7 years ago
Quoted from c508:

AP did seem to think that the Houdini "box of lights" they showed off was playable and just needed a little fine tuning to go into production. Plus they didn't see a problem with all the "Zidware" markings (until after the fact). Those things seems like a pretty big con to me.
Oops CON!

Who are they conning? They haven't taken a cent in preorder funds.

#23128 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

This is pinball at its finest

Pinball at its finest? No sir.

Pinball at its finest is POP getting pinball machines into children's hospitals.

Pinball at its finest is a gentleman opening the doors to his private collection so people can have fun.

Pinball at its finest is a bunch of people playing alternate formats like Pingolf or Critical Hit, laughing and having a blast

Pinball at its finest brings people together

This is you just getting mad that Magic Girl didn't shake out the way you expected. Go back to your first post, read it, and come back to your recent posts.

#23134 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

You do realize that was a joke right?

Obviously, it went right over my head.

But while we're on the subject: if MG was a well-thought out game that delivered on the promises JPOP made, would it be pinball at its finest?

If JPOP followed the above dream with: next we're working on AIW/Zombies, those with preorders should expect their games by summer '17, would it be pinball at its finest?

If Skit-B actually secured the license to Predator and didn't run off with with a bunch of peoples money, would it be pinball at its finest?

So it a joke, or is it sour grapes?

#23135 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I appreciate iceman's passion, but I think his anger is misguided. The fault does not lie with the MG owners who are selling their games. It lies with the buyers. They are the fools that are paying up for this half baked piece of s**t.

I really hesitate to call anyone who invested in Magic Girl a "fool". It's not like there was a historical precedent for boutique pinball, and there wasn't a historical precedent for boutique pinball manufacturers to rip their client base off.

People who invest in something they believe in shouldn't be considered "fools" or else no one else will ever be willing to take a risk again.

#23143 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Please re-read my post. I never called the people who originally ordered MG fools.

I did misunderstand what you were saying. My apologies.

But I still am weary of calling the people who buy these MGs "fools". This is a part of pinball history, after all. It's like people who pay big money for sports cards with unique defects on them. It's their money, they can do what they like with it. It's not up to you or me to decide whether they are foolish for spending it the way they want to.

#23146 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Normally I would agree with you. People can spend their money any way they want, and who are we to judge. For example, I would never pay $15K for a BM66 SLE, but I have absolutely no problem with the anyone who did. This is a completely different scenario, though. MG was built on blood money, and a ton of people have yet to be compensated in any way, shape or form. I am part of this group. As such, I am personally offended by anyone who would pay a large sum of money for one of these games when so many good people were left holding their dicks.

I wasn't aware of your relationship to the whole fiasco. If you don't mind me asking, are you owned a MG and didn't get one, or were you in on the other games?

Not trying to be crass, but I kind of see Magic Girl as being the DeLorian of its time. Shitty, overhyped, doesn't work as advertised... but people still buy them.

Vdojaq:

#23148 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I was not in on MG, only RAZA.

Would you still be interested in RAZA being made?

#23153 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I quoted toyotaboy because his post perfectly summarizes why I no longer have any interest in getting a RAZA. Obviously, I would rather have one than get nothing at all, but given the choice, I'd take my money back in a heartbeat. As time went on, the game became an incohesive mess. In its current state, it's much different than the game most of us thought we were getting when we signed the contract.

Thanks for your responses. I am really sorry that you got burned by all of this.

1 month later
#23302 6 years ago

The hate for Kaneda is ridiculous and immature. Even Robin hugged it out with him! It's time for Pinsiders to get over their anger towards the dude.

#23310 6 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Yea, he's been bounced out of every arcade forum on the internet -including this one, for no reason. You're clueless!

Congratulations on sharing the same opinion as nearly every other "thinker" on Pinside. Get enough of those upvotes and you can trade them in for a lapel pin!

#23319 6 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

You might want to do some more research. There was a LOT more involved than just saying what someone did not want to hear. Several lines were blatantly crossed.

There's about a dozen habitual line steppers on Pinside that aren't and will never be subjected to the constant scrutiny that K was. Of course, those line steppers are fully vetted members of the PBC.

You want to do some fun research? Do a search on pinside for any of George Carlin's dirty words. see which posters get moderated, and which ones don't. Enlightening!

#23321 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

What's a "live stepper"?

Pardon my edit. I hope your snarky comment nets you at least 10 upvotes!

#23324 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Sorry you feel persecuted, I did not know what you meant. But best of luck in your hunt for upvotes/downvotes, I observe from your other posts that it's an area of great interest for you.

I guess I feel that you're reading the conversation, you should have been able to figure out what I meant using context. Perhaps you weren't meaning to be snarky, but based on my observation as to how many times you've downvoted me (it's an area of great interest!), it seemed rather apparent that you were being snarky.

#23327 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I often disagree with the tone and content of your posts, hence the downvotes (you earn them. Sadly, in this case I just didn't understand your intent. But best of luck in your crusade against the habitual line steppers, they sound like a naughty bunch.

I prefer hot steppers, myself.

#23333 6 years ago

I'm glad you two are in agreement, but check this out:

"While we realize the internet is the Wild West of images and content, we want Pinside to be a family friendly place. Keep it PG-13, folks. We have a no tolerance policy for images with nudity or material that’s outright disrespectful to women. The same goes for text with vulgar, profane, pornographic, sexually oriented, offensive, or otherwise salacious language (this includes using memes such as “f#ck,” inappropriate text written on attached images, and cleverly concealed text uploaded with image file names).

We do allow some leeway when it comes to posting Not Safe For Work (NSFW) content (but members must flag their own uploaded images as NSFW if they contain content that’s generally deemed unsuitable for work or the family living room)."

#23335 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Came here for the jpop... and all i see is someone pissing into the wind. Take the #freekaneda movement sonewhere else please.

Disingenuous. You know very well there's nothing more to see about JPOP right now, so instead of just leaving the thread in peace, you come in here and lecture people.

This is a message board. People come here to talk. Please don't tell people what they can or can't talk about. Let the moderators moderate as they see fit.

#23337 6 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Lecture? He just asked fairly to move that particular subject elsewhere, given that this is the jpop thread, not the kaneda thread. Seems reasonable to me

I guess you missed the "pissing into the wind" comment. And I really don't enjoy when people come into threads only to voice their displeasure at the things being discussed. Seems pompous and haughty.

Also, isn't Kaneda a pretty big part of the JPOP story at this point? Why yes, yes he is.

#23344 6 years ago

Heh.

Quoted from Manimal:

You are probably correct, but they were not the subject of the comment I made reference to. I just told the poster to do some research so he/she could make up their own mind. I'm not going to argue the point with you in this thread, we have already done that elsewhere. We just have to understand we have differing views and I doubt I would change your mind, and you won't change mine.

Fair enough. But the person you're telling to "do research" seems as though they've already DONE their research, or else they'd be like "who is this Kaneda and why is Pinside so obsessed with him?"

#23345 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Wait, you just did that! ...or, is it only pompous when someone doesn't agree with your viewpoint? Seriously, this is a MESSAGE BOARD and people are going to express their opinions. I also think it's fair to call someone out when they are getting off-topic.

I take umbrage with people trying to stifle conversation on a message board. Someone that isn't a moderator really shouldn't be telling people what they can and can't talk about. And what's especially rankling is that taking an anti-mentioning-Kaneda-ever stance isn't exactly a controversial one.

Quoted from SunKing:

...ancillary at best. He owns one of JPOPS games....as do other folks. I think the better thread to discuss him (can we do that now?) is the wall street journal thread. ...yeah...I'm headed over there now.

(supposedly) 25 people own a MG. that's not really ancillary, in my opinion. It's not like he's someone who bought a six piece McNuggets. Maybe Mulan Szechuan McNugget sauce, perhaps.

#23347 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

After my being on Special K's podcast, I have a different opinion of the guy than I used to. However, you sound like you are either infatuated with him or on his payroll.

Wow.

Love how straight up rude that was! Really gets the point across.

BTW, my episode got shelved and the guy doesn't even bother to my respond to my requests to try again, so I'd be a real moron to be on his payroll and / or his dill pickle. I do appreciate you staying firmly within the lines though!

#23350 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I am so sorry.....did you need a break in a safe place?
LMFAO.

Funny you mention that! I abhor safe spaces. I feel it's the dumbing down and over-sensitizing of America.

However, I still try to not be an outright dick. Congrats for not having such a beta male trait!

#23355 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I can only assume that your podcast with Special K was shelved because watching paint dry would have been more interesting.

It was probably more due to the fact that a huge family argument (on my end) transpired during the recording and he didn't feel like going and editing it out.

Man you're really getting your licks in, eh buddy? Feels good, eh?

#23358 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

The info you keep giving is like open season. A family argument while recording? Did someone spill your bong water again?

No, my grouchy Father In Law instigated a fight with his daughter - which he was ever wont to do - and it got into the high decibels right by the room I was in Skyping with him. My FIL was a dick, but he's dead now, so oh well.

Or maybe I just suck, right? That's probably the reason!

#23360 6 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Can we get back to talking about oysters now

Best oysters I've ever had is at this place called Tajima in San Diego. An oyster with a touch of ponzu sauce and thinly sliced scallions. Slurping them down was a religious experience!

#23367 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

You might be failing.

What a courageous stance to take.

#23369 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I just calls 'em as I sees 'em.

I calls 'em as I smell 'em, and you're dropping stinkers. But hey, get with the popular crowd!

#23376 6 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Back to oyster talk I guess.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cornelius.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=cornelius and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.