(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (9 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider YeOldPinPlayer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19452 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

American Pinball will not be successful with a pre-pay model. They will have to inventory pinballs. Think about that from a carry cost and cash flow perspective.

Would anyone send money if they got a phone call or email saying their game was ready? Who would trust them to ship a game? It would have to be cash & carry, maybe selling at shows?

1 week later
#20029 7 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

As posted in the other thread:
As I was preparing my monthly Pinball Magazine Newsletter with the recap of September I found myself wondering about a thing or two about American Pinball. As I've had some email contact with them last week when Houdini was first announced I dropped them an email and asked whether they would be up for a quick phone interview. As they were I figured: let's turn that into a podcast and they were OK with that. So here's the first Pinball Magazine podcast: A quick interview with Scott Goldberg and Dhaval Vasani of American Pinball.
https://soundcloud.com/user-935579828/pinball-magazine-podcast-01-american-pinball
https://soundcloud.com/user-935579828
Please note: I'm not trying to be Nate or any of the other podcasts, but this was the quickest way to get the interview out. So don't expect any tunes, jingles and all that kind of stuff. This is just a phone interview with an intro and outro. During the interview at some point the audio dropped away on Scott's end, but I left it like that. I figured what he was trying to say was pretty clear.
Hope you enjoy and appreciate the effort
Cheers,
Jonathan
http://www.pinball-magazine.com

That was a great interview sir, thanks for arranging it and sharing.

2 weeks later
#20215 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Sarcasm or not that is the only reason it worked in the first place. No one cares about "ultra limited" unless you care about it's "potential value".

Correction: YOU don't care about that. Some people have more money than they will ever need and want things that are rare.

Other people's motivations are often surprising and different.

2 weeks later
#20335 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

"John was against ... ball save... he thought ball saves were for people who couldn't play very well"

Pat Lawlor & Roger Sharpe are also anti ball save. From the industry perspective a longer ball time is directly detrimental to earnings. Much harder to quantify how much money you're not making because it drains too fast.

3 months later
#22366 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

When Lawlor signed up to do the unlicensed game with JJP I was really hoping it would be either Alice or King Author (neither require a license but have easy to recognize IP).

King Author would need a license for any of his books or movies. Christine, Creepshow, Misery, so many possibilities from his body of work.

#22474 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

But pinball isn't that big.. so how many of these uber rich collectors who will leap to spend 30k on a title are there?
This is manufactured collectibility... and the same kind of runaway train that sinks many hobbies. When people value and pay.. for artificial collectibility.

Markets often move in irrational ways because people in charge of the money are often irrational. Stock bubbles, housing bubbles, tech bubbles. Yahoo was worth billions at one point, Twitter's market cap is how many billion and they've yet to turn a profit?

"Big" money is a relative term in any market and the big money doesn't evaluate risk and value the same way that many of us do. If I had to keep Magic Girl I wouldn't take one if it were free. It's a reminder of all the people who have been screwed and I don't want it in my house.

#22690 7 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

That (backwards?) target is hilarious. Maybe RD is right and it's facing the wrong way? Otherwise ROTFLMAO!

If it's supposed to face the other way aren't the posts flanking it misplaced? And there apears to be a wire coming from the slot above the target, wouldn't that need some protection if the target was supposed to face the other way?

Maybe a diverter was planned but never implemented?

#22711 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

That probably makes sense, from a layman's perspective, but it's not out of the ordinary in bankruptcy court. It's actually common practice.
For example, simply refer to the following quote. [1]
--------
"The 'avoiding powers' of a bankruptcy trustee are among the most commonly used and frequently analyzed provisions of the Bankruptcy Code. These powers are designed to achieve a variety of policy goals. Providing perhaps the most significant of these powers is that which allows the trustee to set aside preferential transfers. The preference provision is, by far, the most litigated area of bankruptcy law."

Is there any case law where delivered goods like these pinball machines were ordered to be recovered? What about if the goods have been sold to a third, fourth, or beyond party? How would the court determine value, the amount paid by the purchaser from Zidware, the amount it sold for on the open market, or some other method?

1 week later
#23112 7 years ago
Quoted from Jeremy8419:

In this day and age, it seems like it would be more prudent to start with a base pinball program, program the pinball game you envision, all the objects physics and rule codings and whatnot will already be correct at that point, and then transfer such into the creation of a real pinball game.

Steve Ritchie and other designers will be at the Texas Pinball Festival. You should seek them out and discuss this. It could be an enlightening conversation.

2 months later
#23529 6 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Jpop has no extra piles of money lying around for <defending a patent>. And the damages would be orders of magnitude smaller than was the case with, say, them wipers. His patenting attempts are just another example of trying to appear like a real biz and stay out of prison.

All he needs is an interested patent troll. License the patent to the troll, let the deep pocketed troll abuse the system. duckduckgo the term patent troll and you'll find numerous examples.

#23536 6 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

There still needs to be possible damages worth pursuing. In this case the lawsuit would cost more than any possible recovery. Compare the number of pinball machines produced having stolen the patent (as if) vs. how many cars were made with intermittent wipers while that case dragged on.

You're confusing a legitimate patent owner (such as the intermittent wipers holder) with a patent troll. Licensing lawsuits and threats thereof is how the troll makes money. A pt could license the patent from John years from now after thousands of machines using something vaguely resembling the patent is common. They'll send a vague demand letter and offer a license for a few thousand $$. Recipients of those letters will have the option of paying a few thousand for a bogus license or paying many thousands to defend a patent lawsuit.

Patent reform could happen in the meantime. Until it does the trolls still have an avenue to generate income. duckduckgo the podcast patent lawsuits for more information.

4 years later
#24366 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

why he wasn’t hired by an established company prior

Python had some choice words about him.
http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/showget.php?id=42

The fact he wasn't hired says quite a bit to me. Even if you're a bit eccentric you could be a hired gun if you can actually design a game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider YeOldPinPlayer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=YeOldPinPlayer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.