(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,471 posts
  • 928 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

streamberry (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (8 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Taxman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#952 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

And its been gut wrenching for those of us that have been in since the beginning. This is disposable income but trust me, when/if we get our games, we will have earned them.

All income is disposable. Keeping it is the hard part.

I hope I get to play one of these.

4 months later
#5391 9 years ago

Looks great. But is Magna-Flipper copyrighted?

2 months later
#12444 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

So basically another hair-brained scheme to retire gone amuck. We can thank quite a few corporations and industries for abandoning the defined benefit pension plans that rewarded hard work & dedication and kept retired employees living at a decent level with a partial retirement income. Since these plans are now gone from 80% of the places that had them, many "job-hoppers" who were in mid level positions have to resort to this nonsense to attempt early retirement if they are too lazy to work and save.
So in this example a guy uses his (now former) good name and past industry experience to set up a COmpaNy thinking he could possibly sell it and retire early. I'm sure his parents would be proud.....

Oh man, "blame the corporations". Yes, they gave John the idea. Huh what?

#12619 8 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

... so maybe the ramp is shootable but they are talking about the toy in the center Jynx ?? I think he was called ?

Another stroke of originality. Jinx, the name given to the prototype sculpture for Magic Girl recently for sale is the right outlane of Piball Magic. Jinx The Cat.

#12646 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

ALREADY SOLD 5 OF MY 13 PINS IN 3 DAYS! SICK OF THIS HOBBY! THANKS JOHN!
ALSO TOOK YOUR ZIDWARE WALL ART OF THE WALL,IT MAKES ME HURL !

AND DONT FORGET TO UPDATE YOUR LISTED COLLECTION! IT STILL SAYS 13!

Just sayin.

#12650 8 years ago

True. I think many are still in the Anger stage. Lashing out is common. This is still an open wound and people want some kind of quick closure. And nothing with legal involvement is quick.

#12759 8 years ago

Looks like someone redefined an integer. Working for me.

#12915 8 years ago

OK, now you guys are just trying to make this thread longer than it needs to be.

#12941 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Gonna call it now, 15k posts by Sunday.

If the guys from Holland have there way it will get there 6 times faster than that.

#13062 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

zombieyeti.bigcartel.com
Thanks - dislexic keyboard to blame?

Damnit, I have been following this thread but had to go shoot pinball for NEPL league night. I come home, find another 200 posts and this is sold out. Pissed off! @##$$%%^ (<-pinside acceptable swearing)

Seriously, great looking and posted sized must look awesome.

Dave

#14273 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

... we didn't do the tiger saw mechs for the software ...

Its "Lion Saw" not "Tiger Saw". You don't want people to think John is so lame that his vision of the future of pinball is just a rehash of his 20 year old ideas, do you? I understand, it is Magic and Theatrics, again so there is only so before it overlaps, but come on.

I know the moderators don't want a bunch of threads started, but I'd like to see a comparison of what is reused from game to game. Everyone has been saying Magic Girl for so long they are hypnotized into thinking even if John had made this game is it really that dazzling?

Lion Saw not Tiger Saw
Big Rabbits on the slingshots not little rabbits on the sling shots
a picture of a magic cube on a table on the playfield not an actual functioning magic cube
Magic Spot not Spirit Ring
An Up Post between the flippers labeled Theater Of Magic Post not a Theater of Magic without an up post (huh whaa)
Hocus Pokus on the topper not as a Hokus Pokus target bank
Even the Drama Masks made a reappearance

Any ideas he needed from CV? Let see -
Looks like CV color scheme
Bagattel on the back box not just a bell
Display mounted in back of playfield not on backbox

Also paying tribute to TOTAN a picture of a Genie Lamp I'm sure there is more but I did not look at the game too close.

And I guess Capcom had some magic he wanted since Pinball Magic has a levitating ball and MG "tried" to have one.

Anything else I'm missing? Is that a 3 slot skill shot he already used a couple of times?

Jpop is an Illusionist alright. But the tricks are stale. He is spending his life with the same picture stuck in his head and trying over and over to make it work. Sorry, I have a ToM and TOTAN and they are similar enough so it looks like I bought his ideas years ago and for a lot less than $16K. Who does this guy think he is.

I'm sure its not as simple as this. Flame me if you want. Back to the usual 14K+ posts.

#14299 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Left side has the same spinning lamp mech as TOTAN.

I thought I saw a disc with two bars in some other pictures. My rant was just based on a quick look at the Pinball news pictures. I'm sure there is more.

Here I thought I was going to get trashed instead I find 14 thumbs up.

#14300 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Right now we are in a wait and see on Pintasia. And for me personally, I'm burned out and I have my real life to attend to.
There is no secondary group, Rommy.

Kim I can't imagine. I have been friends with you for years. I remember your excitement about Jpop and I was freaking out loving the BHZA idea looking over every detail on the website.

All of the extra kicks in the gut must be giving you an ulcer.

#15035 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You weren't paying for a product. You were investing in a startup, with the hope of receiving a product out of it. Startups fail all the time. People lose money. No one goes to jail.
Seriously, this notion that John is going to jail, or even will be convicted of any kind of fraud, is just not happening. The lawsuit may or may not recover any money, and it will most certainly cause bankruptcy, but that's going to be the extent of it in all likelihood.

I think you are right about the outcome. But if he didn't separate the funds there could be trouble. People invested in 3 different products each with separate contracts and NDAs. If he used RAZA funds to play with MG, AIW and even KISS there could be some trouble. His paranoia about disclosures could be his own undoing since you didn't invest in the company itself. But end result will be bankruptcy for Zidware and he was probably smart enough to separate that from his personal assets.

And he goes down in the history of pinball as a tool. I wonder if he's delusional enough to not even have a damaged ego.

3 weeks later
#16212 8 years ago

If not create a new thread with a proper title, a summary of the situation, a link to this thread and then lock the thread with only that one post. This way you still contain the conversation to here,

#16423 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

image.jpg
Who is the "we" he is referring to?
His imaginary friend maybe? Sure gets lonely when you're working in a large warehouse 20 hours a day 7 days a week.
rd.

Tell me you think think this loon doesn't talk to himself all the time. He's in his workshop playing with toys and talking like Smeagol about his "precious" [non-disclosed] game designs he's rehashed for 20 years.

#16516 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Expo is only a few months away. Perhaps we can organize an involuntary tour.

Oh Christ that would be funny. Send a Party Bus load of drunken pinsiders to tour the factory.

#16522 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

He's been spending time updating his site
http://pinballinventor.org/index.html
Capture.JPG
There's a peculiar "Distributors" link there (not linked yet). WTF?
and "Brochures".
He's up to something... under who's advice and guidance?
Certainly not for any of the customer's best interests, because he doesn't talk to us.

Yes, but notice the "Distributors" link does not say Coming Soon. Because it ain't.

#16527 8 years ago

What about this. Magic Girl #4 Finally Being Shipped -(at the bottom) Makes it sound completed.

http://pinballinventor.org/feed_mg.html

#16562 8 years ago

He actually put a video of a flat cymbal monkey going back and forth and thinks this is a great new creative thing to show off?

Whoever though this would be a 3D mod

http://www.amazon.com/R-E-G-Charley-Chimp-Cymbal-Playing-Monkey/dp/B000AUVE5U/ref=sr_1_1

#16611 8 years ago

Wow, JPOP could learn a lot from those guys.

Hey John, the reason it is called a Whitewood is because you make a good shooting game with ramps and stuff and "Then" you put the artwork on it. You don't draw a pretty picture and hope you can make a game around it.

#16640 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

wow!!
that pin is awesome!
the music is spot on and it is flowing well?
i like the queen song at the end.
can i pre order?

kugler_pinball.jpg

I like the Free Bird multiball. Gets you pumping.

#16658 8 years ago

Make sure the lawyer gets a copy of these emails.

#16660 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

It is definitely a song that screams MB. The game has five other MBs, plus that first one can be earned multiple times, so I really need to find some other great songs that have that energy. I also like having versions that are instrumental only when possible.

Well, if you really want a game about my family in your game room, sure, you can pre-order

I need a custom LE version. My dog's name is not Lisa but Molly (Yellow Lab Retriever).

#16665 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Another example of a flipping prototype!
Archer pinball.
Nice shot layout.
http://funwithbonus.com/archer-pinball-machine/

Agreed. Nice use of the top flippers.

#16669 8 years ago

What manufacturing? The loon says its like a custom chopper. Does that mean he is only making one of each?

Custom choppers don't go through an assembly line.

#16681 8 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

I emailed JPop last night and got a response this morning.
image.jpg

Proof of lies and swindling. Send that letter to the lawyers. Let the judge ask for the list of people who those $9995 "games" were shipped to.

#16881 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Meanwhile back at the JPOP Ponzi scheme headquarters
http://www.pinballinventor.org/feed.html
image.jpg

Funny, when you "Follow the white rabbit" to this page

http://www.pinballinventor.org/alicepinball/chapter2/pagemenu.html

Every link is clickable to show his doodles, but not the Rules link. Guess its all about the doodles

#16892 8 years ago

Then why come here? You know how it works. The Jpop discussion is over in the MMr repair thread.

#16902 8 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

Then you are going to LOVE JPop's updated version of MG:

JPopeye.jpg

JPopeye is awesome - I hope the DMD is in color

1 week later
#17070 8 years ago

Well you know that rich guy JPop has been waiting for? Well he came along and decided to dump $M into Pinball after all.

The problem for JPop is he decided Jersey Jack could actually build machines and he went with the Hobbit.

#17109 8 years ago

Send a few Dominos Pizzas

#17113 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

C'mon man! We were trying to keep this civil....

Well, I waited and I can still access the thread. I guess Dominos Pizza has not yet been classified as a WMD.

2 weeks later
#17205 8 years ago

"...you think they had a plan to do a magic game before? And who did Theatre of Magic? John Popadiuk...the guy doesn't even feel about pinball...he will do anything, he is a chameleon, a lizard...and Python knows it because Python is the king of snakes...I eat Popadiuks for breakfast!"

Quoted from Tubes:

Python warned us all:

Oh boy I can read that in Python's voice. Is that from Clay's TOP show?

1 week later
#17350 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeinNJ:

... I wish those that are making lists of angry owners, bashing me in public or running private Facebook groups would offer up some good suggestions, a positive dialog with ideas, as some said they would. I am only a pinball designer in a large community of people. Some very successful businessmen....

I hear he is so good at taking others suggestions

Quoted from JoeinNJ:

... The completed Magic Girl game shipped to the NW Pinball show in Seattle, and looked great! ..

Completed?

Quoted from JoeinNJ:

... The Magic Girl preview was poorly done at the NW Show in my opinion, all the booth items, promos, banners, prints and outreach they promised to do was never done it seems. Also the Pintasia President backed out before for some "questionable" prior business issues, which was a bad blow....

Blame others

Quoted from JoeinNJ:

... I was even told not to personally attend, which now was a mistake perhaps as I have done many shows and know how to present...

Blame others for not being able to sell ice cubes to Eskimos as he has always been good at.

Quoted from JoeinNJ:

...Also the online forum rancor, and destructive "troll" abuse since March, has just about gutted everything I have tried to build as people have stopped supporting the effort and game development. This is all new for me, as I grew up in the fax machine world...

continue to blame others and start the incoherent babbling

Quoted from JoeinNJ:

....We are so close to success I feel at this time.....

Delusions kicking in

Quoted from JoeinNJ:

...One thing I have learned is that many think all this pinball making is easily done, but once they spend some time behind the scenes they have a better understanding. So I have been reaching out to tell the story and bring people in to help businesswise...

he's humble

Quoted from JoeinNJ:

... An owner asset takeover is also not out of the question...

The pipe-dream delusion of divine intervention is still alive and well

Quoted from JoeinNJ:

.... I have been a quiet, honest, hardworking guy for my whole life until now. Only 1 speeding ticket, that's it. .

Your honor, if I can babble a little more (seriously? speeding ticket?)

Quoted from JoeinNJ:

... I was told a while back I am "the most hated man in pinball"...

Reality peek in

Quoted from JoeinNJ:

...Currently we are battling a court complaint filed by 20 owners ....

more reality, is the fog clearing?

Quoted from JoeinNJ:

...sadly it is taking much of my time and what resources I have left (which I told folks it would), and has pushed away 3 fantastic partner companies in the past months besides Pintasia...

Nope, reality slipped away and the blame game continues

Quoted from JoeinNJ:

... The work I am doing was to better the pinball community and make new games in a positive way...

his greatness is just not realized yet

Quoted from JoeinNJ:

... and make all customers happy..

#17366 8 years ago

Are we getting a warning from anyone before clicking?

#17387 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

We are talking about to VERY different video here - this is the Video I'm referring to.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/TMQFux3WlO0?autoplay=1&rel=0

Do you have a longer version? It was just starting to get somewhere.

1 month later
#17892 8 years ago

Jpops name had be in the bunker many times.

But it never gets old.

#17917 8 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

The level of understanding of English Haiku demonstrated here is right on the level of Jpop's understanding of manufacturing.
There's a lot more to it than 5-7-5… not necessarily even that, actually!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku_in_English

Actually, I thought this thread was supposed to be about updates to the Jpop fiasco.

And now it is moving from Haiku to Limericks. Funny, yes, but should me moved to a different thread.

1 week later
#18094 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Fuck! If the taxman is taking 80% of your income, time for a revolution.
Or at the least, some creative accounting.
Top tax rate in NZ is 30%. And that's too much.
rd

I AM NOT TAKING ANYTHING. I pay a lot of freaking taxes. I'm in Connecticut so I'm probably number one on the list when you add state and energy taxes.

Besides, the moderator told you to stop picking on me.

- Taxman

#18225 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Fuk that chick is bad ass! I think I'm in love

Most of us agree with you. But a few vocal A-holes drove her away

Leaving us on Pins and Needles

Did you edit?

1 week later
#18289 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

20k Posts by XMAS!

A big story from a court house and it can hit 20K over a weekend.

2 months later
#18430 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I just noticed that there was an affirmative defense motion filed in November. Sounds like Jpop may have tried to use the "I fully intended to build the games, so it wasn't a scam" defense to get the case dismissed.

But didn't he send a letter to "investors" saying he could not do it?

#18433 8 years ago
Quoted from Tigger64:

If this thing ever gets to court, I'm sure that letter will be featured.
The only way he could talk around it would be if conditions changed... IF he could get a big time investor throwing money at it with a plan, etc.

But that still makes it a Ponzi scheme. The letter essentially told buyers he could not complete for the agreed upon money. They could pay more and hope but could not get the promised refunds. And while continuing to have a website to bilk new customers. Only his worm-filled squirming mind could think he has a possible way out of this.

3 weeks later
#18519 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

His inability to deliver probably extends past pinball....

Oh snap. You went there.

2 weeks later
#18577 8 years ago

Unless I read wrong John and his wife are both listed as Vice Presidents in Zidware. Who is President and are there any other officers?

2 months later
#18786 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Interesting....never saw that one.
Good grief...were there any others?

Me neither.

2 months later
#18949 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I heard he spent it all on Dom Perignon and hookers.

He's not cool enough to have done that. He sat around putting plastic cutouts of a monkey with a cymbal on a zombie machine.

1 month later
#19070 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

...the DMD above the playfield...

You mean like CV? The number of thing he take from his old [successful] games is astoundingly lame.

I wonder if that angle gives you a complete reflection of the backglass on the playfield glass. That would be real bad.

#19092 7 years ago

Are these fragments of his website or is he still playing behind the scenes?

http://www.zidware.com/inventor/index.html

It does say "2016" and is his scribbling. But the main website makes if look like a new company or that someone bought the domain. I think he is hiding the front page with this social media thing as a cover.

http://www.zidware.com/

#19094 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

That page is is new. The zidware.com is also still his. Zidware was an app company before it was a pinball company, so he always had stupid clip art up there.
This is also his M.O.... toil away on useless stuff, like hand coding html pages, while you claim you are working 7 x 14.

Yes, his "nanoschool" company or whatever releasing apps on iTunes.

Has anyone seen this - http://gamecenter.nyu.edu/three-questions-with-john-popadiuk/

#19098 7 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

What would you do if you saw JPOP at Expo this year walking around? I wonder if he's that clueless that he would actually show up.

Quoted from Rarehero:

GOT style...just follow him around yelling "SHAME!" until he leaves.

Well if people have the same balls as the guy who saw Kevin at an auction they will follow him from behind and take a picture. Maybe almost talk to him or hold the door for him if he buys something.

#19105 7 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Well the guy that snapped picture of Kevin and posted i am sure did its job. yes we are still watching, yes we never forget. That type of non confrontational does wonders too. And was a very civilised polite thing if he wasn't burn by the guy.
Of course I probably would have at least got his attention first for a frontal shot. And if actually burned....well we can not post such things as it would NOT be civil.

This -> https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kevin-kulek-shows-up-at-w-s-auction-today-91915#post-2694171

No one said anything? Let him talk about how he makes pins? Let him bid, buy and load games with nothing said with his friend right there $2K in the hole?

Sorry, I confront people who stole from me. I don't do anything illegal, but I let them know what trash they are and that they owe me.

#19141 7 years ago

I'm pulling my hair out. And that is quite difficult when you are bald.

Popcorn.gifPopcorn.gif

Damn animated GIFs still don't work for me (yes, original size)

#19180 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You would think any potential investor would take one look at the nearly 20,000 posts in this thread, and turn around and run away as fast as they can.

Quoted from rotordave:

Reading posts is hard.
rd

Edit: There is a support group. There should be a printed flyer. Welcome to the group you don't want to be a part of. Some times you feel angry, some times stupid. Your late to this game, deal with shock at first.

4 weeks later
#19599 7 years ago

While I would like some people to get something back and would love for everyone it just does not add up.

It feels like when Predator people got the reimbursement email from PayPal that Kevin issued only to have the rug pulled out another time.

#19779 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Except an HTC One with original firmware.....

You have one of those also? My camera went pink fuzzy about a year ago. They were willing to fix it but I would have to send them my phone and be without it for probably a month. No way, not for the camera. It is a phone first.

#19800 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

is this some secret code you're speaking in?
google translate says ''Uma ungeke ukwazi ukubona ingulube in the kopolota uyalunga udle cats"

That is Zulu. Actually it should be -

如果你不能看到捅猪你值得吃猫

(Rúguǒ nǐ bùnéng kàn dào tǒng zhū nǐ zhídé chī māo)

The pig in the poke has to do with buying something sight unseen is a bad thing. The eating of cat has to do with Chinese restaurants (in Bridgeport CT). So a Chinese translation works well.

#19981 7 years ago

I think 19991 is better. I like palindromes.

#20002 7 years ago

You wasted it

Preserved your actual post before the edit.

And I got a Palindrome to boot

#20027 7 years ago

I already have mine.

GameroomWithMG (resized).jpgGameroomWithMG (resized).jpg

#20030 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

You should be seriously ashamed of yourself. Those games are really not leveled right, come on!

Is this better? I leveled them after I installed my deluxe Pin-Footsies.

PinFootsies6 (resized).jpgPinFootsies6 (resized).jpg

#20080 7 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

I'll leave this right here from Face Book

He realizes his weaknesses?

Is that followed by the line "... and they are that I will not trust Pinside anymore since they caused all the problems?"

#20083 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

JPOP news is sounding better and better. I sure like to see more new game desgins from him.

When you say "New" do you mean the fact that he steals from his own ideas so much it is "deliverance" in a pinball machine?

Magic and Theater, so new with ideas an color schemes we will have Circus Voltaire, Theater of Magic, Magic Girl, Totan, Houdini in Wonderland . . . . Arrghhh - suey - suey!

#20095 7 years ago
Quoted from dkazz1:

Correct, that is the danger zone and this is the alternate universe, with this turd.

I turned one of those down for free. I think it was missing the translight, which would make it better. But was not worth the hour drive each way.

#20115 7 years ago

As long as the buyer knew the situation and went in eyes wide open I don't see the issue. The spot buyer would be a fool, yes, but if they get burned it is by playing the speculation game and losing.

If he was selling to someone outside the community who didn't know about the Jpop saga that would be wrong.

#20196 7 years ago

But it could turn out like when Kevin sent Predator money back to people only to have that yanked again. Getting shafted twice just double-sucks. They should not have said anything until it was actually happening. They keep saying it is but every time people look closer the farther away it gets.

Still to many "if"s about getting anything, quality, signing anything that lets JPop off the hook and then RAZA/AIW...

So what if "investors" are offered discounts on an A.P. machine? Sure getting something is better than nothing. But is this letting JPop get away with this sham? Is this all just a way for his lawyer to tell the court "he tried"?

It just still sucks and I can't see this stain ever going away. At their talk AP said "those are Zidware issues talk to Zidware". Okay, can anyone talk to Zidware recently and get some answers? Ask about all 3 machines, IP rights, legal disclaimers on delivery. . . If you can't get answers then go back to AP and tell them "Hey, you told us to talk to them, well tell your contractor to pick up the phone".

#20228 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Why do people want rare things? Seriously....I don't get it.
I get wanting "things"....I like "things". Now some of the things I want also happen to be rare and they tend to cost a lot more. However, I don't want them because they are rare. So what's up with that?
And I agree with Wolf.....artificial "rarity" I find somewhat offensive. I just don't care about the "exclusivity" factor.

Quoted from Oldgoat:

In a word ego. ...

I like things. I like games. I like a lot of games. At one point I wanted a Whirlwind or an Earthshaker. Both good games and kind of similar in a mirror image way. When they became available I decided to go with the lower run numbered Earthshaker for a simple reason. They don't come up as often. If I decided I made the wrong choice it would be easier to sell Earthshaker and find a Whirlwind. Would I have paid a lot more because of it? Nope. I have no problem spending money, but it has to be worth it.

2 weeks later
#20338 7 years ago

This playfield does not look like his style. It is actually a white wood. He like to put the artwork on the playfield "before" working on the shots.

2 weeks later
#20396 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

At what point does the amount of money wasted on a "star" like JPOP exceed the original value of their accomplishments?
Reminds me of Sharon Stone. She had 1 hit (Basic Instinct) then for the rest of the 90's nothing but flops, which wasted far more money than Basic Instinct ever profited.

Total Recall was in the 90s, but actually before Basic Instincts. Casino was not a flop. And I kind of liked The Quick and the Dead but because of Gene Hackman. But yes, there was a big list of stinkers.

3 weeks later
#20456 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Notice how Ben has no comment

I think Ben has made his comments quite clear in the past. Right now he's probably searching for a mint to get the taste of bile out of his throat.

1 month later
#20553 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

What was the "DIY Opton"?

Back when RAZA was still BHZA there was an option for an extra $1K to get the game in parts and JPop (and maybe Ben) would come to your house and help you build it.

#20557 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

AH! I remember that. Didn't realize 'DIY' was having Ben assemble a gmae for you.

Niether did Ben

#20558 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Elaborate please?

American Pinball

#20563 7 years ago

That's right. He updated his website to say "In Production" and put 2017 on it. He's going to get the light box out so he can say "You got a machine, can't sue me now".

2 weeks later
#20654 7 years ago

Fingers crossed for you guys. But make sure someone goes and gets theirs in person before you throw another $ at shipping to find out they mounted a bagatelle in those old cabinets.

#20667 7 years ago

So if you don't like it can you get your money back?

#20757 7 years ago

Either he is giving you the game you paid for or not. You already signed enough NDA and crap from him. If he says you must sign to get your game and you can't sue for any other reason it sounds like blackmail.

Take the game. Tear up anything you signed and sue him for what he owes you AND for trying to extort you.

#20784 7 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

I see your point but I totally disagree.
Just based on pure rarity alone there will always be a higher dollar value put on these.
King Kong isn't an amazing game but still demands a $20k+ price tag because there are so few of them.
Kingpin is a decent playing game with less than 10 made and most often change hands for over $50k+.
This game, having an initial value of $16k will easily start selling for a lot more. Hell, there is even a fairly recent sale to a well known "eccentric podcaster" who bought one second hand for $24k and that was WITH the possible risk of the games not even getting produced!
This game will always be wanted by the hardcore rarity collector because of it's rich (for lack of a better word) history/story and the fact there is only 20 of them (plus a few proto's). If you ever get your hands on one and sell it, I think it's safe to assume you'll NEVER see it again. I doubt anyone who buys it will ever sell it for less (if they did sell it, which most likely they would not).
All I'm saying is, these games will be very sought after (similar to KP, & KK, e.t.c.) and that will directly effect the price, regardless of gameplay, code, or any other possible issues. People will be looking for a collector piece, not necessarily a game they want to play everyday.

To the museum collector. Not the player collector. Not someone who might hit the start button. What happens when it breaks? Pinside bitches about PPS response, Stern silence, JJP timelines . . . Can you imagine "when" something goes wrong here? You thought Rick goes silent? JPop is unreachable while taking your money and you know AP has already waved any responsibility past being an assembly line.

At least with King Pin, King Kong and Krull they were made by companies with a history on board sets and basic assembly parts. If you have the money there is a High End Pin person who can help you. If this jerk wants a release I'd ask about the warranty first.

#20998 7 years ago

Looks great. But I would not put too many games on it. The video of the misfiring slingshot is strange.

My bet is this is the first plastic to break.

MGRing (resized).jpgMGRing (resized).jpg

#21036 7 years ago

If the game turns out nice it should be entered into the databases without JPop's name. It should have Artwork by ZY and Programming by Applejuice (real names of course).

#21050 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't think you understand how databases are supposed to work. They aren't supposed to be subjective. You don't put "alternative facts" in a database just cause you don't like somebody.
OJ simpson is still in the record books and the Hall of Fame.

Did I say anything that was not a fact? We know who did the artwork and we know who did the programming. There were many other people involved with this project and we don't know who did what for anything else involved. There seems to a lot of missing people getting credit.

#21053 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You said you wanted the ipdb entry not to include Jpop's name. That's ridiculous and it would undermine the credibility of ipdb if they started making subjective, punitive calls like that. Pretending MG has nothing to do with Jpop would indeed be an alternative fact. Or not a fact. However you want to put it.

Wow, speaking of facts. I did not say "the ipdb entry", I said "the database".

So for a person who wants to get persnickety about the facts you should get them right.

#21056 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm persnickity about bullshit. Not a fan.
I just don't think it's productive or provides a service to pretend this isn't a Jpop game. Whichever "database" you are trying to bullshit is irrelevant.

It is a joke. Chill out.

#21129 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Unfortunately, a lot of people were not even involved in pinball and understand the history of the development of the game. There are a lot of people that may be "owed" something, but that is not necessarily how the end works out.
Envy is a terrible thing for those that "hate" either new collector blood with money or old collectors that were savvy and smart with buys regarding collections.
People also forget the investment of AP in this project as well, predominately for marketing exposure and credibility.
It is working, but this game came at no small cost or effort on their behalf. Some of the players in the middle are being rewarded, so not everybody involved for "left out in the cold", if it makes people feel better.
Placing blame on original MG "investors" is just another means of directing jealousy against inability to afford the machine in the first place, which as I stated previously was not meant for the "average" collector.
I still have a personal belief that just because you can, does not mean you should (monetarily) unless it is your "holy grail". That does not others should dictate how a collector spends their money or decided to get caught up in offline buying wars.
As I stated in 5 years, most people here will have already moved on and got out of the hobby, unless they find redirected focus to other aspects than chasing "Le violen rouge" or getting financially burned and dusgruntled when a boutique pinball supplier declares bankruptcy before receiving their game 2-3 years later after patiently waiting.

So are you saying back when RAZA was still BHZA I should have gotten in for the extra $1K and they would be setting it up in my house soon?

Hey Ben, you can stay in the house but that other guy needs to get a hotel room. He look like he might smell as bad as his reputation.

#21137 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'd run and grab them up as fast as i could too.

Agreed. I think it is time to start a new thread -

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magic-girl-discussion-thread-brakage-issue-and-other#post-3605610

#21140 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

props to you ICE for looking out for others and doing what is right.
pretty sad that some people on MG want and are actively trying to dissuade others form doing what is right and forcing Jpop into bankruptcy.
Of course, NOW is the time to do it. Up until recently many thought there were zero assets to recover. Itis now obvious that there are 20 MG which some of these same people seem to think are worth 40k each on secondary market (LOL).
That makes it obvious that the right and fair (plus SMART) thing to do is force bankruptcy, auction these 20 games for top dollar and if they really bring in the 800,000 that people think then you have more money to divide among ALL the people owned money.
Lets talk reality if you dont force bankruptcy. Jpop is apparently broke and this is his one bail out. The MG games only got built with the obvious help of American pinball so they could save themselves where they were potted into Jpop and it was too late to get out. Seems obvious there is no feasible path to RAZA and surely not AiW either. American Pinball has apparently cut ties and keep john issolated already form houdini.
ICE, get 2 other people and get the legal papers filed ASAP! It is the right thing to do to take care of the whole group, even if some greedy few want everyone to just chill for 90 days after they get their MGs.

But if MG is a POS with breakable parts and support goes to hell what are people going to thing of AP?

#21143 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Taxman, i know you are a numbers guy like me but you need to spell check that thread!

I already fix a few. I'm typing with a beer in one hand two dogs and two cat who have not seen me all day and a woman, um who sees my typing this and is waiting to see what I say so I'll just leave with as "I'll fix that ASAP"

#21252 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

...But then people don't really buy BBB because its a great pinball machine. They mostly buy it as a "collector". People are afraid to play because they might put a dimple on it. How many BBB's do you always see for sale, "low plays", "less than 200", etc.?...

Actually, there has been a BBB setup to play at Pintastic. Sorry I forgot who brings it, but it gets set to $2/play with money going to charity. I have a Pinball Magic so I know the build quality on Capcom pins is pretty darn good.

#21787 7 years ago

Is Brenda Irish? With her accent she said it best when she was talking about the top third of the playfield and it sounded like "Top Turd".

Someone should tell a person in advertising that attention like this should not be so expensive.

But maybe when people with half a brain get them we will learn more. More about what is wrong, but more. This guy had a hard time turning it on so who knows.

#21789 7 years ago

Most long time collectors are not here

I am a long time collector who does work on his machines. If you do take pleasure in helping people fix machines this is a place you cannot ignore. New people doing a search are very likely to stumble into this, this, well just this.

#21991 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Rule #16 for me... if frolic posts about #TWDLE or #Full Throttle, give immediate upvote.

I'm still on the fence about Full Throttle. I have put quite a few games on one. I'm not into the theme and it does not play like games I like or at least that I am used to liking. But I have to admit there is nothing bad about the game. It plays fast and different but not bad. The build quality, flipper strength, different rules . . . I want to like it more. So I am very happy Alien is finally shipping and can't wait to try one.

Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to go off topic.

#22000 7 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Don't make me turn this car around.

This is not a cartoon. When the car goes off the cliff you can't turn it around.

(Edit: Post 22,000 and wasn't even trying)

#22085 7 years ago

Wow, he is so delusional. Tell me about that spinning lamp John. Was your great idea just to take an idea that has been around since 1970 and just stick a plastic lamp on it?

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=11&picno=18537&zoom=1

Lamp (resized).jpgLamp (resized).jpg

#22285 7 years ago

First add-on!

repair_tool_kit (resized).jpgrepair_tool_kit (resized).jpg

#22287 7 years ago

Now isn't John supposed to fly out and help build the machine? Oh that is what the extra $1k is for.

That was BHZA (without Ben knowing). You have no idea how close I came to being in on that one and got away. Not the "kit" version. But you got to pick the style of robot or alien you wanted so each game is customized to your taste and unique

Now looking back it all seems so stupid. Like Ben says, it is a zombie pin, what are aliens even doing on it.

Did anyone download a copy of that advertising poster and other pictures from the original website?

#22289 7 years ago

I almost sent a deposit on BHZA when I saw the lazy Susan underside playfield. That looked like that was going to be pretty cool. I held back and waited and found it was dropped. Then the artwork changed, and I moved on to want AIW. I inquired about it, but I didn't want to send a deposit until I saw some type of artwork and general playfield layout. I am still waiting to see that to this day.

Was that the Atomic Reactor? Man, what a flea circus. Here are some low rez flyers. (one #44 bulb, white rubber ring and real bumper cap)

benheck1 (resized).jpgbenheck1 (resized).jpg
plan_robot (resized).jpgplan_robot (resized).jpg

plan_playfield (resized).jpgplan_playfield (resized).jpg

plan_game (resized).jpgplan_game (resized).jpg

#22345 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

... I thought about John the other day while struggling with main toy design for my new game. It's SO tempting to set it aside, take a break and do something else. It's also discouraging when so many days get sunk into a single mech.
But I have to remember "what would John do?" And then do the opposite.

So can we start guessing about this new main toy?

Here is what we know so far -
1) It is not a rehashed mech from TOM, CV, TOTAN or WCS
2) It is not colored purple
3) The material cost will not make the game cost more than a car
4) It will be done in a time frame than can be measured in months rather than years
5) It is not ink jet printed with someone else's artwork
6) Technical specs will be available
7) It is going to work

#22397 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

... Let's face it, pre-orders are a lottery - and the MG owners just won.

If they sell the game.

I'm sorry, but anyone who owns one of these next year either foolishly paid a lot for junk or foolishly should have sold it while the crazy frenzy was happening (now).

#22453 7 years ago

At the same time we have those who wound up with the Predator prototypes being treated as pariahs. Last I heard they were going to have to cough them up, or pay for them again plus a penalty if they want to keep them.
Just an interesting contrast, not saying anything disparaging about either group!

MG were first in line paying people.

Predator prototype people were not only cutting in line in front of paying people, they did not have receipts.

#22486 7 years ago

Whysnow, Taxman, you're right, the MG buyers deserved to get their games, while the Predator protos are tainted. But RAZA/AIW victims might not see the distinction to be so glaring.
I thought one of the court documents said give the protos back or else their value plus a penalty, I dunno, maybe it was late. You're certainly more on top of it than I, Hilton.

I understand there is still a huge debt owed to RAZA and AIW buyers. No doubt. But items are being shipped in the order they were paid. There has been no bankruptcy filing so the court should not see a problem here.

The Predator prototypes and merchandise do not have any receipts. Therefore no established date of sale and there is a bankruptcy filing. If they can't prove an actual sale it simply looks like Kevin it giving his friends assets to hold onto while he says he owns nothing. Kevin was already found [and I don't think allegedly at this point] using Predator money towards purchases put in other's names for the purpose of obfuscation. This is such a huge difference between these fiascos.

This is bad business versus possible criminal activity.

#22593 7 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

Maybe it's like that cat in the box?
As long as it's in the unopened box, it's simultaneously both unfinished and finished until the box is opened and the pin observed.

This is not schrodinger's cat. I used that analogy when talking about recent NIB games with possible playfield insert issues. Until you opened the box you didn't know if you had a good on or bad one.

In this case, when you open the box you know you are finding a dead cat.

#22663 7 years ago

What business? Did he properly declare one or even an LLC?

This criminal might be open to everything litigation and discovery has to offer. If he wrote a check or transferred money it is going to be questioned. If he withdrew from an ATM and his wife bought cameras it might get brought up.

#22984 7 years ago

Without specifics we are all just guessing. If I was to guess it would be that AP lost money on this fiasco not made money. The only thing they earned was a lesson.

I'm going to wait for real information before making too strong of an opinion about them either way. About AP that is. JPop can never be anything good without complete accountability, apologies and restitution.

1 week later
#23177 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

support page seems to be slowly getting updated..
http://www.zidware.com/inventor/support.html
You can now download the full manual (home version only available right now)
http://www.zidware.com/inventor/docs.html
Or you can download the warning sticker sheet, including inspected by Lloyd Christmas, or the FBI warning
http://www.zidware.com/inventor/decals.html
Most of the wiring diagrams
http://www.zidware.com/inventor/charts.html

So, looking at this page you can download an 8 page PDF (2 pages are cover pictures) for the Magic Girl Home edition and will soon be able to download the manual for the Magic Girl Final edition?

http://www.zidware.com/inventor/docs.html

So his plans are to put out the full working edition and leave 20 people with half made POS games?

Not that he can really get anything done. But his plans are to screw people even more?

And you have to love his page about how great he is. The teamwork quote is the best -

http://www.zidware.com/inventor/about.html

#23225 7 years ago

I know right. I had corned beef today (like many others) and did the traditional mustard. But I said to myself "beef -horseradish". I never tried it on corned beef but tomorrow with leftovers its happening.

1 month later
#23444 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

AP already accepted your Raza money from John to build parts for the pseudo Magic Girls. If there is any money left it is certainly not enough to build more than a handful of incomplete Raza to keep Jpop from going to prison. Hard to believe the courts haven't stepped in and frozen these assets long ago.

So what you are saying is if John gets a new investor to pump money into a new JPop fiasco and that money builds your RAZA you will refuse delivery because it was not the same "RAZA" (BHZA) money?

BS

1 week later
#23482 6 years ago

The "Holographic" idea for arcade games goes back a lot longer than even P2K. I remember I have a Coney Island Rife EM gun game. Can you imagine in the day and age having an arcade game where you shoot people in an amusement park? Anyway. It projected a guy on a pogo onto the glass. If your shot lined up to the current position of the image you scored.

The base ideas for these things go back decades. Each new application of the concept is barely a tweak and not a significant change or improvement.

1 week later
#23511 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Is the case over?

Has he declared bankruptcy? I dodged this bullet but have friends involved. But I do not bug them for the private details.

But to me he had taken money from people and a contract with each one. There is supposed to be the ability for a refund. He either delivers, refunds or goes under if he can't cover those two options. So it can't be over.

Proving criminality of a pyramid scheme is another question. But as long as Zidware exists it is not over.

1 month later
#23574 6 years ago

moxie

#23600 6 years ago
Quoted from Strohz:

autographed signature

4 months later
#23737 6 years ago

Holy crap this is funny stuff. Greed to panic. I wonder how many calls Deep Root got.

4 weeks later
#23755 6 years ago

Wow, thanks for taking the time to do this. Answers a lot of questions and raises a few. I did not know about the AppleJuice details. The offering of games valued around $5K is strange without details of what is considered a "game". Sure they call them masterpieces, but it could be a bagatelle or non-functioning MG. So having people make that decision without more information is tough.

Only time will tell what they do, everything else is just guessing.

“Every family needs a pinball, every pinball needs a family”.
“5 days of deeproot”

I hate marketing talk.

1 month later
#23886 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Technicaly bsd is one of the most inovative game designs for that time, even for today's standards.
Ik think barry is a great designer.
On the Dutch dpo expo 2017 he choose his own bsd as best game of the show hahaha, no intrest in other people's machines at all.
Thats pity.
Stil love his designs.

I have owned BSD and it has great qualities (like Mist) but to me the layout has some similarities to Diner. (I love Diner, but innovative?) The ramp lift lock move from one side to the other. But think about it if you know both games well.

#23890 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Did you find Popeye that much better?

Yes.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Taxman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=Taxman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.