(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,545 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (9 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SunKing.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#725 9 years ago

Damn, I give my wife crap for watching all those 'reality' drama shows on TV - yet I just spent a couple hours reading through this thread - totally entertained.

From an outsiders perspective, and with TigerLaw in mind, I'll just say....that was a very interesting read!

1 month later
#2231 9 years ago

Dude, you sure know how to hijack a thread. ...

#2626 9 years ago

Nice post Ice. Merry Christmas to you, and everyone else here on Pinside.

4 weeks later
#3500 9 years ago

Disclaimer: I have no skin in this game.

Guess what? I can still post in this thread.

My take on this? I applaud those folks who took a risk and invested with Jpop. You have to REALLY support the pinball hobby to make such an investment. The pinball revival we are seeing now was paved by folks like these.

With that said, my personal opinion (based on what I've read here) is that Jpop vastly underestimated what it would take to complete this project. I think a few MG's may see the light of day, but beyond that, it's anyone's guess.

I honestly hope all owners get their games. I see this going one of two ways. If owners get their games, everyone wins and pinball sees another positive bump. If not, the pre-order model has been irrecoverably stained.

1 week later
#3766 9 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

There will be no MG to play at Expo 2015 .[edit]. It is an extremely limited run not even designed for location play, the run is sold out, and thus no incentive to allow anyone to play it, or RAZA for the same reason.

I disagree. At this point, my gut feeling is that if he doesn't show a playing version soon, his house of cards will crumble.

3 weeks later
1 week later
#4329 9 years ago

Great post Ice, and SO GLAD to hear some positive news finally.

1 week later
#4982 9 years ago

Door's open bud. Let me guess, you're here because of a job.

1 week later
#5250 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

.. hope to discuss numbers with him on Monday.

John and Kevin both takin' the weekend off? (sorry, I couldn't resist)

#5382 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Nobody should expect to see these games any time soon, even under the best case scenario.

I hope, for the sake of the investors (pre-orders) and the pinball community as a whole, that you are wrong. However, based on what limited information I've seen, it appears you may be correct....sadly.

#5585 9 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

Have already found some "interesting" information therein.

Care to share?

2 weeks later
#6559 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

This account is Kaneda - ZidwarePR. Duplicate account. Not a rep of Zidware. Ignore him. Ban will be issued on both this and his other account when I get to my cpu.

OMG!! ...sorry guys, this whole thing is sad, especially for those who have invested so much.

..but wow...I'm 60 posts behind and ..this...this is f'ing low. This guy needs a perma-ban.

#6600 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

It appears kaneda actually was doing some PR work for Zidware and he has submitted evidence of such activities. Also, he and John were granted this zidwarePR handle by Robin to use for limited purposes.

This is crazy. When I posted earlier that Kaneda should get a perma-ban, in no way did I ever imagine he actually was working with Zidware. I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around this one.

#6671 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Wow, been at Masters all weekend, no surprise to see another shitstorm erupt. Greatest thing ever, no cell phones allowed there.

Did you see Kaneda's PR job for Zidware? You were gonna get your machine first!

1 week later
#7079 9 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

...this is my best. Am surprised I have not dropped dead.

Ohhhh, such a martyr.

Quoted from gprotein:

As I mentioned before I have been battling the “pinside” group for months now (since the DP downfall began in public) and it has done the most damage to my work, apart from anything I have missed or do poorly as a business owner.

If I remember correctly, the 'battle' started around the time of the DP rug reveal, vs JPop cabinet reveal at expo. And for him to say that Pinside (or the battle with Pinside) has done the most damage shows how out of touch he is with reality. He is the only one to blame for his customers being unhappy.

#7090 9 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

he didn't misrepresent anything in order to get people's money?

Production plan / Shipping dates.

#7093 9 years ago

Difference is, Jack refunded $$ when asked. ...and communicated.

#7237 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Forgive me but how can we believe you are Yeti?

Quoted from frolic:

I have confirmed this is the "real" zombieyeti.

EDIT: I'm obviously slower than most...

1 week later
#8045 8 years ago

Ton's of digital artwork. Many, many revisions of said art.

2 weeks later
#9084 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

It's not over yet, but just looks bleak.

I think once you've hit the point where lawsuits have started, it's over. ....sad for all.

1 week later
#12112 8 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Bill, Maybe I missed it, but you can't tell folks the details of the agreement w/ John because you signed an NDA that those details wouldn't be made public?

My guess is that Bill does not want everyone to know how much he paid Jpop for the license. Hearing that Jpop got a big $$ payout, while simultaneously announcing 'the games won't get made' won't sit well with most.

#12152 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

No money was given to John are you nuts. .... It basically was just enough to keep lights on and get the information needed into the machines..

I'm confused. Was it "no money", or "just enough to keep lights on and get the information needed"?

1 week later
#13270 8 years ago

I anxious to see pics and vids from the show. I've never seen a $16,000 pinball machine before.

#14422 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

You could have asked the programmer to help.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda. if they had, someone would say "Omg, how dare you ask unpaid vendors for help". it's a no win situation at this point. that said, I'm glad to see an air of reconciliation - at least from some.

disclaimer: the statement above is my opion and should not be taken as fact. I am not an investor of Zidware or Pintasia.

#14563 8 years ago

Machine should be held by owners until bankruptcy proceedings determine auction.

#15018 8 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

From John Popadiuk -
Zidware marches on! Most people don't know what I know , and what I know is people buy million dollar paintings every day. And my deal costs way less! So why wouldn't a Millionaire angel investor just walk in and take over? It could happen today. Pintasia may not see the light , but there are smarter, better business men out there (please stop in for tea and pinball whispering anytime if interested). All we need is one of those Millionaire painting buyers to walk in and carry the ball. We are 95% done anyways. Lawsuit shmawsuit ... We will have another investo-sucka in here before you can say Zane Smith! - paraphrase from the mad hatter down the hole.

OMG!!! ...he's more than delusional.

#15652 8 years ago

I was under the impression that part of the Pintasia deal was to get John current on his rent.

#15889 8 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Sabrina Wei:
1998 -....

Bill already apologized for that, and stated that she was removed from the project early. ...seriously, I know everyone is upset, but people need to stop pointing fingers at each other and focus on the only true enemy here. Remember him, the one who stole about a millions $$'s?

2 weeks later
#16278 8 years ago

...wow, I thought 'Pinballers' had a lot of drama.

1 month later
#17340 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeinNJ:

Also the online forum rancor, and destructive "troll" abuse since March, has just about gutted everything I have tried to build as people have stopped supporting the effort and game development. This is all new for me, as I grew up in the fax machine world.

What a blathering idiot. He can not see that all of his problems are of his own making.

1 month later
#18191 8 years ago
Quoted from Mhulsebu:

He would then he would get asked for Roger Sharpe's autograph.

Which he would probably sign and pass off as his own (see Zombie Yeti art).

10 months later
3 weeks later
#19848 7 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Photo Credit: Jon Norris

Is that a stripper on a pole near the right ramp? I don't remember any strippers in Houdini's act.

2 weeks later
#20078 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I bet there's no flipping AP games and no flipping Magic Girl at Expo.

Yep, I bet you are right. I wonder what Chris at Cointaker thinks about all this...and how he will feel when the promise made to him of getting a MG is broken (yet again).

Of course, I'd love to be proved wrong...... but I bet I'm not.

#20136 7 years ago
Quoted from justonemorepin:

"The project was picked up by American Pinball in 2015"
I don't think it was a typo. Does anybody know anymore about this? Bill Brandes -- any comments?

Bill has been VERY quiet since the Houdini announcement that also mentioned delivering MG. My speculation is that jpop *conveniently* forgot to mention he no longer owned the rights to MG when he was working his deal with AP (and probably didn't tell them a lot of other stuff as well). Perhaps that's why Houdini was originally shown in a Zidware cabinet, yet that had to be yanked for expo. Unfortunately for AP, they didn't have time to get all the Z's off the Houdini parts, so it's obvious it's a zidware originated design/playfield.

I'm also speculating that Bills lawyers are talking with AP legal to try and get this worked out - hence the radio silence.

In the end, I think Iceman had the best advice - dump Jpop and start over from scratch. ....nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

#20139 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

My guess is they got some iron fist once they actually started talking in detail and AP retreated from trying to use the content jpop had licensed or transfered the rights for...

I agree. ...and that makes me wonder how AP could possibly even consider giving Chris his MG at Expo (oh wait - that didn't happen.....shocker), or delivering all the rest by the end of this year. ...yeah, I'm not holding my breath for that either. I'm guessing jpop sold them on the "games are 75% done" lie.

#20140 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

At some point even a reputable company has to run the numbers and realize there's no salvaging this.

Bingo! ...which leads me to question the "reputable" part.

#20146 7 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

Besides BEN's opinion I was trying to find out if something happened that it's publicly known that AP is unhappy with JPOP. That does not seem to be the case.

Let's flip the argument. How could AP *NOT* be unhappy with jpop?

From all I've seen, AP and jpop made a deal. AP gets a 'nearly complete' Houdini, and in return AP will finish manufacturing MG and deliver it to all the original buyers - starting with Chris at Expo. That is what AP said when they announced Houdini. However, surprise, surprise - jpop doesn't own MG anymore, and Zidware is tied up in lawsuits. So when all that comes to light, AP has to scramble and get somethig to expo - so they strip as much Zidware from Houdini as they can...and bring just the playfield to expo (with little Z's all over). Then, at their expo talk, anytime someone asked about RAZA, AIW or any Zidware related item - AP's response was 'you will have to ask John'.

With all that, how could AP still be happy with john? How do they think this will play out? At what point will they realize they are better off if they just sever their ties with John and walk away from his liabilities?

#20154 7 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

I'll play along. How do you know AP didn't get the MG rights cleared up during their agreement with John?

...because of this.

Quoted from wcbrandes:

Lawyers of his trying to contact me, when finally replied they said nothing was moving forward disregard all their calls to get back to them. I'm assuming they knew I still carry the rights to the titles.

3 months later
#20758 7 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

I was promised a game from the beginning.

I hope you got that in writing, because I would not trust John to uphold his end of the deal.

1 week later
#21944 7 years ago
Quoted from robin:

I'm a real easy-going guy and not the type to hold grudges. But there are limits to what I can deal with and Kaneda has well exceeded those limits. His past behaviour on this forum has been nothing short of toxic.
I have asked the moderators to remove any discussion regarding him or his Pinside membership status. Please respect that request and refrain from discussing him or his podcast on Pinside. Thank you.

Seems a few folks missed this post from Robin.

#21950 7 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

....he had no problem dealing with John or getting paid. Interesting. In my opinion his artwork is the best I've seen to date on a pinball machine. Hope to see a lot more.

You do know that John is not the artist, correct? I mean, it's only been said here about 100 times. Zombie Yeti is the artist - and if you look back you will see that he was not compensated completely for his contribution. Oh, and if you want to see more of his work - check out Ghostbusters.

#22006 7 years ago
Quoted from woz:

If you had listened to the last podcast, K interviewed Matt Andrews who did the cabinet artwork for MG.

My apologies then, as I have not heard any of these podcasts people keep mentioning. Is there anything special about them I should know? (....sorry I could not resist).

1 month later
#23340 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

And I really don't enjoy when people come into threads only to voice their displeasure at the things being discussed. Seems pompous and haughty.

Wait, you just did that! ...or, is it only pompous when someone doesn't agree with your viewpoint? Seriously, this is a MESSAGE BOARD and people are going to express their opinions. I also think it's fair to call someone out when they are getting off-topic.

Quoted from Cornelius:

Also, isn't Kaneda a pretty big part of the JPOP story at this point? Why yes, yes he is

...ancillary at best. He owns one of JPOPS games....as do other folks. I think the better thread to discuss him (can we do that now?) is the wall street journal thread. ...yeah...I'm headed over there now.

#23348 7 years ago

DISCLAIMER: I have also appeared on said podcast, and have spoken to said person several times face to face, including a very nice dinner at Perry's - thanks again Chris!

#23354 7 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Can't stand the guy either, but I can't believe people forgot that for a hot second he was J-Pop's public relations employee and was allowed to have a second account on Pinside under the name "ZidwarePR."

...true.

#23359 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It's very odd that delivering a literal handful of half working Magic Girls made all that disappear.

It shouldn't. Those impacted have legal recourse. Some choose to take it (see Predator thread). Other's will say that throwing $$ at those filthy lawyers is just throwing good money after bad.

1 week later
#23443 7 years ago

Yep, the current assumption is that jPoop exchanged his 'completed and ready to manufacture' Houdini in trade for AP to produce Magic Girl. So no $$$ actually changed hands. AP got burned in that deal, as jpoop's Houdini wasn't really 'ready', and they didn't anticipate the backlash. ....so they retrenched (very quickly BTW) and put out a new, and by all accounts pretty impressive Houdini of their own.

Of course, this speculation may be just as good or worse than any other.

1 year later
#23965 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Congratulations to all the guys that stuck it out and received some justice. The $$ is one thing, getting a "judgment" against him is priceless.

+1 - congrats guys. It's been a LONG time coming.

#24032 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Jflop is now OFFICIALLY a CONVICTED CRIMINAL

Actually, no. He lost a civil case. As far as I know, there were no criminal charges filed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SunKing.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=SunKing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.