(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,545 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (9 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SilverUnicorn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 9 years ago

Iceman -

Congrats on your purchases! I wish I could afford to be in on any of his games. I talk to John a lot, and he's super nice. Some of my most prized items int he game room came from him. I think he is a brilliant designer, and he himself will tell you that you can have the best design, but if the software isn't there, it will not be good.

I also feel that he never lost the "art" of pinball. His games are stunning, and I expect nothing less from these.

Congrats on being in the loop! I wish I were able to see the things that the buyers get to see.

Chris

#47 9 years ago

For the record - The photos that Rob T posted were also posted by John on Facebook, so I don't think there was any foul there really.

I think the NDA (although I could be TOTALLY wrong) is more for playfield layout, design, toys, etc.

I think if John posts them himself, they are already cleared for release.

Chris

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Just to clarify, the NDA covers only stuff from private conversations and the private blog, workshop visits, etc. Anything already revealed to the public by JPOP (through public postings on FB or the like, displaying at a public event, etc.) isn't covered by the NDA and can be freely reposted (but not copied!). I'm pretty sure the NDA has language to that effect; it's pretty standard. (You can't get in trouble for 'revealing' something that is already public knowledge!)

Thank you for the clarification

Not being part of that, I took a guess. Not a bad guess, but still a guess. It's good to know the correct info.

Chris

#121 9 years ago

If you think John does not read the forums, you're wrong.

Just sayin'.

Chris

4 months later
#833 9 years ago

Is there still a website for the machines?

http://www.zidware.com/welcome.html takes you to the Zidware site, but "pinball games" is not 'clickable'

I am a JPop fan and supporter, but I cna not afford his machines. I just found it odd there were no links any longer. Maybe they have just moved?

Chris

1 month later
#1235 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If you can't wait, then pick up the phone and call John and ask your questions directly. And report back what he says.

This is what I did. I talk to John a lot actually. Have before he started these endeavors as well. I have no horse in this race, and I will not berate John from behind a keyboard as some seem to want to do. I think you will all be happy in the end. At least I hope you are I do understand the rollercoaster you guys are on though.

It is obvious at this point that he underestimated the entire process, and it has hampered certain things like a time line. I feel bad for him because at this point the torches and pitchforks are on the time line, but if things are rushed they will be on an incomplete game.

In the end it seems like nobody is winning

Chris

1 month later
#2563 9 years ago

after seeing this, I am looking forward to the art on RAZA, even though I am not getting one.

RAZA art-356.JPGRAZA art-356.JPG

Not sure why it is rotating the photo. On my computer it is right side up. Sorry.

Chris

#2677 9 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

HaHAHa!
I saw that and instantly thought to myself,,,

---- Send Cody cool pinball stickers and stuff

Challenge Accepted!

Seriously though,. I think these kind of things keep him going. I know he appreciates them, and I have gotten cool things from him as well in return.

As I have said in the past, I think he is sincere in getting the games built, but definitely was overwhelmed by the task.

Chris

1 week later
#2887 9 years ago

Are you upset? I couldn't tell.

Never mind, I will just ignore. Carry on.

Chris

#3235 9 years ago

I hope all can get some satisfactions soon. I am not in as I stated before, but I hate to see people get so worked up. I understand the case though.

All I can do is hope that things come to fruition soon. In my talking to John he does care, but his non-communication with the buyers is defenately concerning. Even a little communication would go a long way. Well, maybe not at this point, but before this.

Last I communicated with John was Saturday, at which time he indicated: "moving ahead...showing the complete MG soon and then RAZA just after" when I said that I hope things are well.

For what that is worth. Hope everyone (including John) can come out of this well.

Chris

#3296 9 years ago

From what I have heard in my conversations with John, StevenP is correct. At least from what John has told me.

I can say that I have conveyed the concerns to him personally, for what that is worth. While he seems to think that no news is good news, I tried to explain to him that this is not the case for the owners from my readings. I also explained that no matter how small something may seem, it would be goof to let those in on the project what is being done. Maybe not daily, but a weekly update or something like that. COMMUNICATION is the key here.

Hopefully in a short time, the owners at least will get more information.

Chris

#3316 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I don't think he realizes that bad information is better than no information. Some people have too much pride to show their mistakes, which is the wrong way to go about things. Making mistakes is a part of learning, nobody is going to judge you for that so long as you have solutions. Not learning from your mistakes will get you judged quickly and lose their trust. Look how well it worked out for GM hiding all those issues for so many years, and now they're having to earn their customer's trust back.
If you haven't seen it, this is a REALLY great talk from adam savage of mythbusters about failure
» YouTube video

This is EXACTLY what I tried to convey to him the other day. Not sure if it worked though.

Chris

#3327 9 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

What does he say when you talk with him? Is it just the usual I work 24 hours per day? Does he comprehend at all that he has taken 120 of his most loyal supporters and made many of them feel like suckers? I assume that his hope is that the eventual fantastic reveal will make everything better.

We discussed a bit about "how" he should reveal info. He seemed to think it should be like the Adobe videos. I said that they (the buyers) just wanted information. No need to make a big production, but rather keep those in on the project just that: IN on the project. No reason to take the time to do an elaborate video. Show them on a weekly basis what happened this past week. I also tried to convey the extreme importance of communication to him.

Not sure what, if any effect it had, but I can hope.

Chris

#3332 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I think this would make a lot of people's blood boil a bit. "This week I've been experimenting with cutting a hole in the side of the cabinet so people can look inside. It'll be like one of those cows at the state fair, but with lights, and less chewed grass."

Hadn't thought of that side of it. Was just tossing stuff out there so that the people in might be able to get SOMETHING. I got the impression that he thought what was up on his blog was pretty good, but I also said that some owners said they learned more from the Adobe videos than they had from the blog, which is what started the whole "video" discussion.

Chris

#3571 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

It only looks busy because it's keyline art. Look at some keyline examples, they also look busy without colour.

326387-i.jpg 60 KB

329347-i.jpg 76 KB

And with color, it comes together

CVJPOP.jpgCVJPOP.jpg
#3691 9 years ago

I think they are really trying to bring pinball up a level (or two). Color makes a difference .

(posted with permission)

Chris

zombie_color_spacegirl_close2.jpgzombie_color_spacegirl_close2.jpg

#3710 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

What's the theme of this game again?

Yes.

Chris

1 week later
#3958 9 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Hey you guys check his FB page.New pic of play field detail.A newton ball shot with some stand ups

JP1.JPGJP1.JPG
#3970 9 years ago

Nice! Good to see more and more info coming out for you guys!

Hopefully it is something you can share soon.

Chris

#3999 9 years ago

I like the sounds based on the short clips. How they tie it all together should be pretty good.

Chris

1 week later
#4010 9 years ago

Is that exactly what he said? I am just asking. Or was it a "flippable" reveal?

This thread had been so quiet, I thought good things were happening on the blog or site that the owners had.

Chris

1 week later
#4115 9 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

You ever read how Ford screwed the man who created the intermittent wiper circuit. That dude got the shaft. Good read too. Being serious.

Watch the movie "Flash of Genius". Good movie, and yes, they tried to screw him, but in the end paid up (after being sued).

Chris

4 weeks later
#5548 9 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

No doubt! This MoFo is really good at foam core modeling (or Carolina board as he refers to it in his videos, which was a new one on me.)
» Vimeo video
» Vimeo video

Weren't these videos from the private blog?

Just asking.

Chris

#5716 9 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Yes. But I am not an armchair psychiatrist.
I think someone who still has John's ear should explain the "great harm" he has done, well, ... by not doing anything to get even a functioning MG prototype together.

Believe me, I am trying. And I am a virtual nobody in the pinball world, so take that for what it's worth.

Chris

#5720 9 years ago

Just out of curiosity - Was the NDA written in Comic Sans?

Chris

#5842 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

. No one actually thinks the P2K Star Was game is anything but garbage.

So you speak for everyone? Cool.

And you're wrong.

Chris

#5909 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

More stupid than putting your son on motorcycle?

Did I miss something juicy?

LOL

Chris

#6103 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

It's a pop up ball saver
Like Family Guy or Champion Pub
It was originally designed for TOM but got cut in the productions run.

I think he meant the 2 "Special when lit" inserts at the outlanes.

Chris

#6153 9 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

** Warning - Opinion pulled right outta my hind end **
If I'm someone at Stern, I am not going to lift a finger to help bail out any boutiques. Short term they may make a few dollars, but long term they benefit from people having an inherent distrust of the small guy.
Skit-B failed. If John fails completely, they have everything they need to legitimately say, "Are you sure you want to tie up $8000 indefinitely? Or would you like to buy this machine that's available today?"
Why would they want the message to be, "It's OK, if you buy a competitor's machine and don't get it, we'll pick up the pieces." ???

interesting point. If this should fail, I think the resounding question would be "Who would ever preorder for $8K plus ever again?"

Chris

1 month later
#8891 8 years ago

FWIW Jinx was the name of the cat in Pinball Magic. Not that it matters, just found it interesting.

Chris

1 week later
#12324 8 years ago

popcorn.jpgpopcorn.jpg

Seriously though, I have no dog in the race, but it is interesting to see the photos and videos that have come out since this change. At least things are trying to be done.

Hope all are made whole and these can get made for the people that want one.

Chris

#13005 8 years ago

I got in also! Too cool to miss out on!

Chris

#13045 8 years ago

ZombieYeti - Did you do this one from RAZA?

DSCF8851.JPGDSCF8851.JPG
#14416 8 years ago

Wow, what a mess. I feel bad now for the people trying yo make things right, Seems like no matter what, they will be the bad guys.

"We want to see a flipping prototype" "why is nothing being revealed?"

So they give you a flipping prototype. Which SEEMED like what people wanted. But apparently it's "not done enough" and "too slow". Not sure what was really expected when you had seen nothing but art for years. We have seen more in a month than we have in 3 years. That is exciting to me, but I don't have any $$ invested. if I could have afforded it, it might have been different.

I am not sure why anyone would want to take this project over at this point, but at least someone has. Can't we give them at least a chance?

Chris

1 week later
#16018 8 years ago

On a completely different note: The Zombie Yeti AIW prints were slated to ship in June. Has anyone gotten theirs yet?

Just wondering.

Thanks!
Chris

#16020 8 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

The prints got delayed a bit because he wasn't happy with the original prints. He had them screened, and I believe he just said the screened versions are going into the mailing tubes this week (along with the bonus lower quality prints, for people who ordered early).
Preorder artwork is alive and well on pinside!!!

Thanks! I saw that on the site he mentioned he was not happy with the first run. Can't wait to get them

Chris

1 week later
#16143 8 years ago

So, did anyone get the AIW prints yet?

I see that it is a run of 100 now (I thought it was just 50 originally). The second 50 went live on June 26th and are again sold out.

Just wondering if anyone had received theirs yet.

Chris

3 weeks later
2 months later
#17903 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Too many syllables in your top line........and second line......third line it good.

Haiku can be hard
And sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator.

Chris

#18034 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm glad you got a kick out of it. It is pretty comical pointing out how stupid we all were.

Believing in something from someone that was WELL KNOWN in the pinball world and that was presented in a way that it seemed like it was thought out does not make you stupid.

I don't think anyone thinks that those who lost money are stupid. Unfortunate? Yes, but I would never call you stupid.

Chris

#18038 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

We are under a gag order from the lawyer.

Thank you, Chis, thats a nice thought from you but this thread is proof otherwise. Us being called stupid by Pinside is probably one of the nicer expressions over the past year or so. I think a recent favorite was from Pinsider, PinballHelp (New Orleans) who called me and others sycophants. His intent was insulting but his misuse of a word beyond his skill level was both embarrassing and amusing.

Well.... I don't think you're stupid. How's that?

Chris

2 years later
#23840 6 years ago

Maybe I read this thread too much, because I had the most bizarre dream last night. I dreamed that we were fighting a fire at a warehouse (I am a firefighter, so this makes sense). As the fire was out, we searched the building. At the far end we opened the door and it was Zidware. JPop was there with about 15 interns working on stuff. Nothing of which was pinball related. We talked and he said that all will be sorted out, as he was doing some artsy fartsy craft project.

At the end of the dream a disassembled High Speed was rolled in by the UPS guy. John looked at it and said the foam core would be amazing.

Then I woke up. Really strange all around. Hope things can be worked out for all.

Chris

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SilverUnicorn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=SilverUnicorn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.