(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,545 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (9 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Richthofen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16442 8 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Word is he has a Friday meeting with another angel investor.

I don't see what an angel investor would do. There's no more money that's going to be paid for these games. Not a single JPOP game buyer would give another dime to anything involving him. And I seriously doubt anyone else would buy a game associated with JPOP. So how is the investor going to get his/her money back?

Even if somehow an investor did come along, are you going to trust that JPOP just won't blow it a second time? You'd need to bring in another game designer. In fact, then what do you need JPOP for at all? The art is by Zombie Yeti, you could have him do different art on a different game that isn't tainted by JPOP.

What would an investor be saving, anyways? Alice in Wonderland is not copyrighted, anyone can make an AIW title, or a zombie title, or an original magic theme. If these games were 95% done maybe you'd be saving the design. I'm so sorry for everyone who lost money with JPOP, but I think everyone is on the same page that it can't be saved because there's not enough to save.

#16576 8 years ago

This whole "millionaire" delusion blows my mind. Most millionaires don't invest in losing brands. There's nothing to invest in, anyways. The art is ZombieYeti's and the playfield layouts didn't flip well according to the prototype that was brought to that show.

If you are a millionaire, and want a pinball machine built, give Gary Stern or Jersey Jack a call and say "hey, would you build theme xyz for $1 million investment?" You would only invest with Jpop if you don't want to ever see your money or game again. He's proven he can't produce a game in quantity. Why would anyone double-down on that? There's no profitable way to do it. If you wanted to just 'bail out' the buyers, you could retrieve JPOP's list and just send them cash. Better use of the money than trusting someone who has proven they cannot perform.

#16609 8 years ago

It's easy to spend $100K if you need to get an injection mold made for a ramp. Tooling costs are hella expensive for something like that.

#16610 8 years ago

Also, just watched this. It doesn't look that bad at all!

1 month later
#17475 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

In some ways, Gene's "miracle" of producing BBB is probably a major factor in why so many start-ups can get peoples' money.

FOMO; fear of missing out. People get greedy in some sense because they would hate to miss out on another game that ends up like BBB. also didn't the project bankrupt gene? I mean that should tell you a lot right there

1 year later
#21007 7 years ago

I am not happy to see this game. Does it look good? Sure. It might even play awesome. But you know how you build 19 kickass machines? You con and rip off dozens of vendors and hundreds of collectors trying to get a different game. Nothing has been made right here. This is literally the first round of ponzi investors getting out early. In a bankruptcy these would be clawed back as preferential distributions. I hate that 19 people who are already rich enough to shell out 16k are gonna get a highly collectible game while the developer is getting stiffed on 11k plus a game. I'm a developer and I've been stiffed on contracts. It sucks and it costs > $11k to even retain a quality attorney for a long court case.

If you gave me millions of dollars and six years, plus the ability to stiff vendors and only have to deliver 19 games, I could probably build a pretty good game too.

#21048 7 years ago
Quoted from AtomicChuck:

Yes lets blame and HATE the RICH PEOPLE who could afford the game. Is this FACEBOOK?

No, I know plenty of rich people. Technically compared to most of the world I am rich. The problem is those receiving games could not have received them without other people getting screwed. The most expensive game is getting created in low volume. Everyone else gets screwed.

It's pretty clear the only reason JPOP created AIW and RAZA was to generate more money to get MG built.

#21375 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

I'm surprised we haven't seen customers posting gameplay videos of their machines yet.

If it really is a stinker, you'd want to sell it. So why put video up there devaluing the thing you want to sell.

#21407 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Then why was he allowed to build them(MG) there?

My guess is they promised to build MG as a quid pro quo for the Houdini design. But after the legal issues that John likely didn't tell AP about, AP now has to redesign Houdini. It's possible AP signed a contract to build the games anyways, or had moved forward enough in construction that it was too late. At that point they are at least creating games and building a small amount of pinball goodwill, and also giving their assembly line a bit of a prototype/test run. So there's some benefit for AP. But they know John is toxic and going forward won't do business with him in the future.

#21824 7 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

That's fair enough; but when people say this is the prettiest game of all time, and nothing comes close, I really wonder.

I agree. Thematically the game is a mess, with owls from Harry Potter , Volta is clearly Tesla from "The Prestige", an Arabian or otherwise Magic Girl... oh and a mad rabbit from Alice in Wonderland on the LCD.

It's colorful. But where are lit inserts indicating where to shoot? It's more an art project than a pinball. The ramp is makeable so it shoots better than I thought. But still the layout isn't exactly for shooters.

It just goes to show you the Williams team were just that, a team. One pinball dictator calling the shots for everything results in a sub par game.

#21849 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's actually good news that the coin mechs work. I think we'll be seeing these all over on location soon.

Unlikely. There are only 19 and a number of owners are not even unboxing them. Maybe one or two make it out. There are what, ~250 BBB 's and I only know of one on location.

#22268 7 years ago

There's a lot of pinball collectors, but very few of them have an extra slot in their gameroom for an un-fun game just for bragging rights. I know there are people like that, but most of us, say 95%, we have restrictions on space and we actually enjoy playing pinball.

Unlike MM or other games, no one has nostalgia for playing this title in the arcade. I'm sure they'll always be expensive but I don't expect them to be easy to sell. You have to hope one of the other ultra-wealthy collectors just *has* to have it at the time you're selling it.

#22329 7 years ago

I don't think it will sell at $20k

#22662 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yep.
Btw, John has a house, wife has 401k's, nice cars, aunts and uncles, etc.

401Ks have been mostly judgement proof.

Also John's wife is not liable for his business debts. Only jointly owned property is.

His uncles and aunts are not liable either.

1 week later
#23106 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

This argument about RAZA and AIW buyers "funding" MG is ridiculous. MG buyers paid first and paid more. They were first in line, so they were always going to get their pins first.
It makes zero sense to me to have RAZA/AIW buyers act like MG buyers are the evil ones because they actually got their games, and, God forbid, sell them for a nice profit.

Well it's clear MG wouldn't have been built without RAZA/AIW funds. RAZA and AIW won't be built. If I were a RAZA buyer you bet your ass I'd be seeking a clawback. JPOP admitted insolvency over a year ago but instead of winding down the business and prioritizing creditors he conned American Pinball into making MGs. That con won't work twice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Richthofen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=Richthofen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.