(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (8 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9819 8 years ago

WOW, just wow.

It's really hard to believe it has all come to this...and this is the second time something like this has happened in the last few months.

I hope the pre-order folks get something back out.

Geesh.

#10448 8 years ago

What's the total estimate of how much John took-in from buyers?

#10509 8 years ago

There should be two threads:

1)For JPOP buyers that still want their game
2)For JPOP buyers that want out/legal action

Let these folks sort it out.

2 weeks later
#14148 8 years ago
Quoted from Tharizdun:

The only people who might put any additional $$ into this are:
1) The people who are already stuck and might do something irrational - Throwing good money after bad money scenario. Seems like several of these people are active here.
2) People who somehow get conned and won't be told about the history till it's too late - "Guys, I just saw this thread after I wired my downpayment… nobody will return my email/calls now!!" scenario.
That has to be a real finite # of new funds. This whole situation defies logic and reason at this point.

I don't get it...at what point is this game worth $16K?

What exactly are people looking for? A pinball machine that can play a game, grill a burger, and then fly to the moon?

Maybe I'm just completely out of touch, but this notion of creating ultra-rare, super-duper-crazy-insane special, machines is weird. Whatever happened to pressing start and justing playing games?

#14358 8 years ago

1 year later
#19434 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

If this is even real/possible, I'm not even sure buyers would actually want to receive the game since it's so tainted now. Probably the best thing is to refund everyone before sinking any capital into building anything.

Of course they want their games... and JPOP's explanation on C2C would be scrutinized and re-evaluated... reinterpreted.

#19450 7 years ago

I don't think this story is in its final chapter....

What this Jpop guy did was wrong... but if he delivers a legit game, then he rights that wrong. I know there's others with money tied into another game...it looks like we'll have to wait and see.

One thing for sure, this has turned into one of the strangest twists... I think about 0% of pinside could have predicted it!

#19456 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

No it goes way beyond MG. Even if they got delivered there's almost 5 years of rightful animosity and misdeeds here. MG is a small part of the equation. It doesn't end there. RAZA and AIW. To make all those wrongs right you are talking about years and millions of dollars.
American Pinball will not be successful with a pre-pay model. They will have to inventory pinballs. Think about that from a carry cost and cash flow perspective.

How much money was really given to Jpop? It wasn't millions... I know some people lost their shirts (16-20k?) but millions?

Let's say he ships MG... then refunds all remaining monies?

#19504 7 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Yep. The web of people f'ed over by JPOP is a lot larger than people who bought MG games. Maybe they figure making these 26 MG games will make us forget about RAZA, AIW, pintasia, and vendors that were screwed?
Or maybe jPop hasn't told American pinball about all these other debts have owes and they don't know the line is a lot longer.
Big cluster.. I guess it will be interesting October

Perhaps JPOP entered a relationship with this company that initially pays him nothing until all of his debts are settled?

There's two ways of dissecting him: a crook or a person who was so naive that he spun himself into his current position.

He claims the latter, right? At least he did on C2C.

Not that ignorance is an excuse or returns heaps of money to his customers.

If JPOP really *is* distraught over the situation, perhaps he has entered into an arrangement that will attempt to deliver everyone their money and/or product?

The knee jerk reaction is to not give him any benefit because of the massive amounts of money that disappeared - not to mention the misleading statements and promises.

But, this situation is so weird at the moment that it's worth waiting to see what American Pinball has to say in the coming weeks

#19510 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Im personally worried that American Pinball had zero idea how bad the JPOP situation is.

Pinball circles are so small... it's hard to believe they wouldn't know and/or do due diligence. But... stranger things have happened.

If these guys roll out MG and it's awesome, I'll be impressed. Talk about a blindside (of goodness)...

#19594 7 years ago

Lots of passion here and I get it... no one likes being taken on any level, especially when huge sums of money are involved.

American Pinball has a phone number, Step One for every buyer that got taken is calling AP direct opening the conversation.

#19602 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

you have not missed anything, but your analogy is completely flawed.
The correct annology would be that some one owes you money for stolen goods, which they have resold to their employer so the new employer could try and start a business. Guess what... The employer is now also sucked in to the bad decision making of the person that stole from you.
I am mostly amazed that anyone with money would be willing to potentially leagally marry themselves to Jpop and all that he owes.

They know it too... hence their offer:

"We American-Pinball empathize with the Zidware customers and therefore we are excited to share the following news with all of you.

By the end of 2016, Magic Girl machines will be delivered to their rightful owners."

If this AP company delivers games and/or money back to all Zidware customers, then they'all have incredible customer loyalty capital on their hands. I guess we'lol have to wait and see what they have to say.

#19640 7 years ago

Alright... so 9am passed in Vegas. No game shown?

#19690 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

For how crazy all this is, I wouldn't be surprised if some Chinese company came in and bought/created a 'pinball company'.

Huh. That's an interesting thought...

Wouldn't shock me at this point

#19701 7 years ago

Great.

Wouldn't that be amazing if Magic Girl investors are rewarded with the first Pinball machine made and delivered from a China?

#19724 7 years ago

I'm starting to get a bad feeling that this "American Pinball" is manufacturing its games in china.... those empty cabinets in the photo are going to be loaded with playfields printed and populated in China.

4 months later
#20971 7 years ago

What a crazy story... the fact that this game is going to see the light of day. Congrats to all of the owners. I hope the game far exceeds your expectations!

#21398 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

I take your point, but disagree. Firstly, it wouldn't change anything because someone (e.g. Kaneda) will upload proper gameplay video (i.e. not the highly selective, misleading tosh we've had so far).
Secondly, by discussing the problems identified by the videos, solutions may result. You can't solve a problem without first defining it. Specifically, if the issue is code not geometry, it's fixable by Applejuice. Even if it's geometry, who knows? Burying head in sand is never a good idea, and sellers playing it devious by not uploading video will pay for it one way or the other. Just look at the reputational damage Cointaker is doing to itself by attempting to sell MG without providing an accurate description of its functionality e.g. whether the damn thing works or not. An amazing own goal there, because it makes them look dodgy, and presumably they have lost and will lose customers and orders as a result. Extremely dumb IMO, and in the Information Age it's not as if they will fool anyone but the most obtuse.

Quoted from frolic:

Cointaker would have been in a better position if they tried to sell the game in the box, unopened. But since they opened it, showed photos of it open, but then seem to be holding back showing it in an unflattering light, it becomes suspect.

Kind of reminds me of when he posted his original Iron Man for sale days before the IMVE was announced... :-/

But... he owns the game and has every right to sell it, even if he's asking $50k.

#21596 7 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Sometimes I wish that this entire forum- its users, its news, the tech forums- all of it- could be seemlessly migrated to Facebook.
There- we would have all the information, news, tips- but none of the senseless soap opera that seems to follow pinball newgroups and forums. No matter how much moderation- or banning- goes down, we still get the same stuff here all the time that scares manufacturers and power players away in droves. The price police, the smarky sarcasm, you name it.
Not that there aren't Facebook pinball groups now, but there isn't one with the presence and participation of this group.
Kind of like pinball shows- at shows, people, in person, are at their best and tend to always consider the human behind the user.

It's incredibly easy to shape Pinside into what you want it to be... just utilize the ignore feature. The Whysnows of Pinside (along with all of the ridiculous antics and inflammatory comments) simply cease to exist... yes you see endless "ignore user" comments... but, frankly, the reality of your own experience is completely washed clean of the BS and negativity they deliver.

The biggest loss has been the fact that these hyper-posting and consistently controversial Pinsiders have driven away a ton of quality folks in the pinball world. That is something that will probably never be regained on this site. That's the fault the Pinside... would have been way better to just ban the inmates before they began running the asylum. Too late for that, tho.

#21637 7 years ago

Wow... that game looks stunning! Too bad it's a brick... I'm guessing that someone is going to end up coding this thing to life.

#21865 7 years ago
Quoted from BD_Designs:

Good lord you guys just can't get enough of bashing Kaneda, can you? Regardless of him being banned, he still has a presence here because people keep bringing him up. If people think he craves so much attention, then why do they keep giving it to him? He's been banned for over a year and yet people still aren't happy.
If anyone else had done a review of this game or posted videos, everyone would be singing their praises, regardless of how they thought the game shot. But instead, since he was the one that gave everyone a first-look at the game, he still sucks and the game is even more awful because of it? I thought he did a pretty damn good job giving an unbiased, professional look at the game - more than any we have gotten of it in the past 5 years. I understand why people don't like him and why he was banned, but come on... At least be a little appreciative that he gave everyone a great look at the current state of the game. If you don't like him, then don't listen to his podcast or watch the videos. Your choice.
In regards to the game, not only does it really look beautiful, but I personally think it is still possible for it to be brought up to it's fullest potential. It seems like a lot of it is "there" and, granted, for the price tag and delays, it shouldn't have to be finished by the owners, but it does look like there is a great game somewhere in that machine. You can just see the potential and I strongly applaud the wonderful efforts of ZombieYeti, Matt Andrews, Applejuice, and all of the other artists that had a hand in getting it this far! It's a shame that so much was derailed and mismanaged by John, but it's hard to deny that the game could have been (and still could be) something really cool!

Agree with this 100%... nobody is perfect... Big thanks to K for making this interesting and entertaining. Two thumbs up for the vids and commentary.

#22031 7 years ago

I don't know about you guys... but seeing how freakin amazing the game looks from an aesthetic appeal (not to mention how mystifying and fun all of the ramps, etc appear to be... even if they are functionally poor...) really makes a lot of the recent Stern titles look totally uninspired. I like Sterns... owned ST for years and enjoyed it... love ACDC... own a TWD... but Magic Girl at least has the appearance of a machine that had some passion (no matter how misguided) and interest in creating a unique experience pushing it into existence.

Sure makes me wish that Stern had some wild "outside the box" thinker driving innovation and direction.

6 months later
#23681 6 years ago

Where is the announcement?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=27dnast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.