(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 92 of 491.
#4551 9 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Can you link it please?

Right above him.

Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

From Facebook "The Magic is now free"
https://magicgirldev.wordpress.com/
Here it is.

#4552 9 years ago

There is a link from blog with more meat http://pinballinventor.org/games/magicgirl/preview/33/index.html

Dissapointed hat the "geometry and toys" link just links back to hand drawn art. I only care about the cool mechs.. Seems a bit light on that or is there a link I'm missing?

#4553 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Seems a bit light on that or is there a link I'm missing?

Welcome to our world . Enjoy the art.

#4554 9 years ago

Can you guys see all of our comments on the blog? Is that all public too?

#4555 9 years ago

comments are there.

#4556 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

There is a link from blog with more meat http://pinballinventor.org/games/magicgirl/preview/33/index.html
Dissapointed hat the "geometry and toys" link just links back to hand drawn art. I only care about the cool mechs.. Seems a bit light on that or is there a link I'm missing?

That's the link to the owners reveal site created in December. Except then only two of the icons were unlocked.

#4557 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

comments are there.

Not sure how I feel about that part. No big deal on the MG blog because it was dead but the RAZA blog is a different story. I guess Pinside loves drama so everyone will be in for a good read September to now.

#4558 9 years ago

raza blog is full of tough questions and John ignoring people, but that is not news to pinside.

#4559 9 years ago

I'm glad to see the MG blog and the later RAZA blog.

If/when they are built I may buy one, but the pre-order stress is the not for me.

#4560 9 years ago

The artwork on MG is amazeballs.

Incredible stuff, really. Hope it sees the light of day!

#4561 9 years ago

I'm hoping they both see the light of friggin day!

#4562 9 years ago

MG art does look amazing, but those colors! With LEDs, this thing is gonna be a pink/purple nightmare!

#4563 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Is it StevenP?

Are you serious?

#4564 9 years ago

The LCD animations, though, are incredible.

#4565 9 years ago

Magna - save on Magic Girl. Very cool!

looking forward to drooling over one someday...

#4566 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

MG art does look amazing, but those colors! With LEDs, this thing is gonna be a pink/purple nightmare!

Or look awesome. Nothing wrong with those colors.

#4567 9 years ago

He's going to open up the commentary part as well as soon as he can figure it out so people can post away

Gotta give him credit for starting to open up. Big step for him! And a really good one.

#4568 9 years ago

He should have done this long ago. The thought to pops to mind is, polished and professional. The LCD animations look great, the sfx sounds professional and not just neighbors lending their voice but real voice talent. I so wish I could believe these will be built in a timely manner. I would for sure want to be in on his games if I knew he could get them to market. I'm still skeptical but a huge thumbs up to what JPop has created thus far.

#4569 9 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

Got it, that makes sense then. He wouldn't be representing JPOP or the corp anyway in the event of such.

Correct. I'm only representing John in IP matters (and no, he has never spent or 'wasted' a lot of time or money dealing with patents). But I do want to see these games get finished and be great, so I have been trying to help that process along. John is seeing how important that is--opening up the MG and RAZA blogs is a HUGE step for him. And new info should be coming soon.

Maybe I'm sticking my neck out a bit, but I am just trying to get things moving in a positive direction, and countering much misinformation that is presented here. As for refunds, there IS a waitlist and for the most recent request he received, he processed it in a reasonable time, sending paperwork, then sending papers to the waitlister so he could get the new deposit and refund the original buyer. And then the buyer decided he didn't want to cancel. (Someone here could verify this, but it's ok if you don't! )

I can't make up anybody's mind for them, but I would at least suggest waiting a short while to see where things are and how cool they are. John seems to be shifting gears and is back to addressing the various complaints. And the games will be THAT good imo. Just my perspective, having seen the workshop very recently and having asked lots of questions. I know visiting JPOP is not feasible for all customers--would be a lot simpler if it were!

#4570 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

He should have done this long ago.

I think he realizes that now. And he is getting help from several people now.

Still a long ways to go but the communication and info flow will be probably more than anybody wants now.

He's one talented pinball designer, we just need to help him focus and finish on what he's great at, and get him off the areas that he's not. Good progress has been made!

#4571 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

He should have done this long ago. The thought to pops to mind is, polished and professional. The LCD animations look great, the sfx sounds professional and not just neighbors lending their voice but real voice talent. I so wish I could believe these will be built in a timely manner. I would for sure want to be in on his games if I knew he could get them to market. I'm still skeptical but a huge thumbs up to what JPop has created thus far.

totally agree on all of this. Completion and manufacturing are being dealt with, as primary tasks. And yeah, he has gotten top-notch professional help with animation, music, voices, etc. (Some familiar names--not sure if they're public so I won't mention them.) And all at really low cost--he's NOT wasting money everywhere, but is also focused on quality and innovation. it's incredible ow much he's done while keeping a frugal budget. (Of course, he's not paying himself for his own countless hours.) Many good, quality people willing to end a bit to help his startup efforts. And he does get that there's a need to push for completing these games. The next few months should be interesting indeed...

#4572 9 years ago
Quoted from joelreeves:

Magna - save on Magic Girl. Very cool!
looking forward to drooling over one someday...

MagnaSave? Heck, not sure what's on the blog (haven't gone through it) but he has magnets OVER the inlanes to grab and lock balls! And that is nowhere near the craziest stuff in these games.

#4573 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

totally agree on all of this. Completion and manufacturing are being dealt with, as primary tasks. And yeah, he has gotten top-notch professional help with animation, music, voices, etc. (Some familiar names--not sure if they're public so I won't mention them.) And all at really low cost--he's NOT wasting money everywhere, but is also focused on quality and innovation. it's incredible ow much he's done while keeping a frugal budget. (Of course, he's not paying himself for his own countless hours.) Many good, quality people willing to end a bit to help his startup efforts. And he does get that there's a need to push for completing these games. The next few months should be interesting indeed...

I'd really like to know how you know these details. Have you verified that he hasn't paid himself for several years?

#4574 9 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

I'd really like to know how you know these details. Have you verified that he hasn't paid himself for several years?

Yes. He is just showing up at the workshop, doing what needs to be done. His wife has a good job, so they are not destitute. I also know he has a good accountant and everything is being done by the book.

#4575 9 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Apparently he's John's IP attorney.

Quoted from StevenP:

Correct. I'm only representing John in IP matters...

#4576 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Apparently he's John's IP attorney.

Yep, that is my only official capacity. (OK, I helped with the lease for his workshop property too.) But we've become friends over the past few years and have discussed many issues and possibilities. So, I've become some sort of 'advisor' although he's not required to take any 'advice' I offer! I'm trying to be transparent here--and I honestly believe most of the red flags raised here are inaccurate and non-issues. There is room for improvement and a need to communicate and get things finished. And significant steps are being taken for that, to put the icing on the incredible games that are being designed. Opening up the blogs is just a start, but definitely in the right direction.

#4577 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The artwork on MG is amazeballs.
Incredible stuff, really. Hope it sees the light of day!

Quoted from wcbrandes:

I'm hoping they both see the light of friggin day!

Quoted from jwo825:

The LCD animations, though, are incredible.

WOW!

IF we consider today's public reveals a starting point, and there is actual PROGRESS shown over the course of the next few weeks / months, I can see there being an active Zidware wait list.

John Popadiuk +1

#4578 9 years ago
Quoted from notaflyingtoy:

WOW!
IF we consider today's public reveals a starting point, and there is actual PROGRESS shown over the course of the next few weeks / months, I can see there being an active Zidware wait list.
John Popadiuk +1

The RAZA stuff is crazy too. Not sure what's on the blog, but I saw full pf with mix of actual parts and a few mockups, and couldn't figure out what some of the stuff was for. (I was happy to stay in suspense and not demand explanations.) This is not your father's (or even YOUR current) pinball!

#4579 9 years ago

Looks fantastic, I would rather see an unlimited production run, people can buy after they see and play them, similar to WoZ. Meaning people are not locked into a game many years in advance unless they want to be, then people that want to wait and see can also buy into the games, I believe they will be limited enough either way.

For example someone might rather have RAZA instead of MG or the other way around after they see how they look or play or the rules etc.. Rather than be locked into one 4-5 years in advance just because there was an artificially low number.

I don't even mind if there is a early buyer discount such as with WoZ where an early supporter who finances the project pays a much lower rate. But an open production run like WoZ could sell more games if they are great and people see them after they are made instead of losing sleep about if they will or won't get done.

A larger production run would help all, with Jpop selling more games, more mods potentially if they need any, and more community support or popular clubs. Let's say 12 guys have MG that can talk on Pinside, is that as good as 200 guys with IM or Tron or WoZ etc..

#4580 9 years ago

I think Magic Girl should be limited. Those people are more like patrons than buyers.

Quoted from rai:

Looks fantastic, I would rather see an unlimited production run, people can buy after they see and play them, similar to WoZ. Meaning people are not locked into a game many years in advance unless they want to be, then people that want to wait and see can also buy into the games, I believe they will be limited enough either way.
For example someone might rather have RAZA instead of MG or the other way around after they see how they look or play or the rules etc.. Rather than be locked into one 4-5 years in advance just because there was an artificially low number.
I don't even mind if there is a early buyer discount such as with WoZ where an early supporter who finances the project pays a much lower rate. But an open production run like WoZ could sell more games if they are great and people see them after they are made instead of losing sleep about if they will or won't get done.
A larger production run would help all, with Jpop selling more games, more mods potentially if they need any, and more community support or popular clubs. Let's say 12 guys have MG that can talk on Pinside, is that as good as 200 guys with IM or Tron or WoZ etc..

#4581 9 years ago

Daaaammmnnn! MG looks and sounds sweeeeet!

#4582 9 years ago

Here's the reality, as I see it: Pinball people are by nature positive and optimistic. It's why they pre-order these crazy games in the first place.

They only get sour when years of disappointment start to beat them down.

Opening the blogs up and letting the fresh air in is a great way to get some excitement back. And with some work John can keep it going. Hell, he doesn't even have to do all the work, he just needs to let go enough to let some people help him.

I didn't mean to start a fight with Kim (and we've squashed any bad vibes already) but this is what I meant about the Facebook group. I think it's great if you want to have it, but the whole aura of secrecy just fosters bad feelings. Better to use it quietly and let the public places be a place where positive energy can hopefully accumulate.

I'll tell you what, I can't talk about everything I know right now (look at what a hypocrite I am just one paragraph later!), but I'm feeling pretty positive about pinball in general right now, there's some light showing at the end of several tunnels. Hoping it doesn't fade out too soon.

#4583 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Daaaammmnnn! MG looks and sounds sweeeeet!

Can you or someone post a video here on it?
I cannot open the video on that blog site, thank you. Would love to see and hear it.

#4584 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Of course, he's not paying himself for his own countless hours.

This is messed up. He needs to review his entire business model. Alice is another limited run game, so he's going to spend a decade of his life at his shop, giving up all that goes with that, and not even make any money?

I don't even see how he CAN make any money with this model. I didn't see how investors can see a return, so what is in it for him? It made more sense when he was pulling a salary but if that isn't even part of the equation.... dunno what to say about that.

#4585 9 years ago

anyone know how to fix the "no plugin available to display this content" message when trying to view the animations? tried java and shockwave no luck....

#4586 9 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

anyone know how to fix the "no plugin available to display this content" message when trying to view the animations? tried java and shockwave no luck....

I'm having the same issue....I think someone disabled the plugin?

#4587 9 years ago

Works on my iPhone...

#4588 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

but the whole aura of secrecy just fosters bad feelings.

I continue to agree with this. I'm a RAZA owner, or sucker perhaps. Despite all the hoopla, I still don't know of a production schedule and have yet to see any of the promised reveals. Call me from Missouri, but I'm still pessimistic about this, despite all of the recent chest thumping.

#4589 9 years ago

works on my iphone too....wierd. Ive tried multiple plugins with no luck on pc

#4590 9 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I continue to agree with this. I'm a RAZA owner, or sucker perhaps. Despite all the hoopla, I still don't know of a production schedule and have yet to see any of the promised reveals. Call me from Missouri, but I'm still pessimistic about this, despite all of the recent chest thumping.

I think it's fair to be skeptical. But I also think that no matter what happens nothing can/will change overnight, so you have to just see positive steps as hopeful signs of progress.

I would say that you should be vigilant for bullshit or broken promises, but accepting of positive interactions.

Or maybe it's the gin and tonic talking, I dunno.

#4592 9 years ago
Quoted from taz:

My sense is that more info will be coming. At least it's in the right direction? I saw a RAZA playfield this week--tons of cool stuff, about 3x as much as on a typical modern game. And John gets that providing info is important--he's working on it. Can't comment on other things in the works. But IMO it's worth hanging in for RAZA. it'll be a next-level pinball game imo.

#4593 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

He's going to open up the commentary part as well as soon as he can figure it out so people can post away
Gotta give him credit for starting to open up. Big step for him! And a really good one.

I walked him through that and made test comments for him.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#4594 9 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Its using Quicktime. That's why the iPhone/Safari stuff works. Apple bundles that stuff still.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#4595 9 years ago

I really want to see John succeed. This art is great and his games always have great flow. If he could finally have a game with great code (easily the weakest point of any of his games, not his fault) the sky's the limit.

In the neverending betting pool of "Zidware Vs Skit-B" I'd give it to Zidware, they've got twice the money to work with on each game and no licensing costs.

#4596 9 years ago

Wow I would love to buy a blank playfield. Best art I have ever seen. Translite is amazing too! WOW

#4597 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

If he could finally have a game with great code (easily the weakest point of any of his games, not his fault) the sky's the limit.

My guess, he isn't even remotely there code-wise yet. How long will that take? Who is doing it?
Even more, how is the warranty on part's or labor?
How many duplicates does he have of any parts?

#4598 9 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

Wow I would love to buy a blank playfield. Best art I have ever seen. Translite is amazing too! WOW

Same. he should sell those to fund progress as well

#4599 9 years ago

Wow. Incredible. I can totally understand how everybody who walks in there comes out mesmerized.

#4600 9 years ago

OMG, i need the money for this fuckin' game.... ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Talk about John comin' thru in the end and all these douchebags talkin' mad shit over & over & over & over again. DOUBTFUL. That bastard is my boy. John is my boy. He's the one who really gets it...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 92 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/92 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.