(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 462 of 491.
#23051 7 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

The full review should help point out the missing bits and help them patch it up.

From what I can tell, the only way to patch it up is with a large box of parts. You know, the ones missing from the game...

#23052 7 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Wow, is there no working mulitball or anything? 10 minutes of loop and spinner shots with pretty much nothing happening. The upper right part of the playfield might as well not exist, the ball doesn't go there. Blech.

This ^^^. And if you want to see the display better, just remove the upper platform and whole chunk of mechs blocking it. They don't function or do anything anyway, and the ball can't even get there according to some accounts.

Quoted from Edenecho:

Can I ask what is in the back behind the center spinner? It seems like every shot through the spinner just dribbles back down again.. very unsatisfying.

And this ^^^

What a shame. Think this game had so much potential. It's very attractive; music, call outs and sounds are very cool. But even watching Martin play it, such an experienced flipper, it seemed very lame and unexciting.

#23053 7 years ago

And what could be EXTREMELY COOL-------- would be if one of the 19 owners did sell their game for $30k or $50k...they get their preorder amount or total spent back so they are returned to the status quo (give or take maybe holding onto another couple grand for their trouble), and then sent some kind of check or payment to Applejuice and Zombie Yeti for all the work they put in and got practically NOTHING for.

Hell, if I had gotten an MG on preorder and ended up selling it now for a $15k profit, I would have no issue sending them each a check for at least $3.5k each. These guys are part of the reason our hobby still has steam left, and that we are able to enjoy new releases.

#23054 7 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

As incomplete as it is, it's a bit disrespectful to applejuice - he put in so much work, you can see it shine in spots.
The full review should help point out the missing bits and help them patch it up.

How is it disrespectful if stuff he programmed isn't accessible? The game is obviously half baked and people should be allowed to say so.

#23055 7 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

all the work they put in and got practically NOTHING for.

I thought they were paid. Just not completely ....is this not the case?

#23056 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

fully define & understand the problem

define the problem is easy... Jpop

Understand that problem... good luck...

#23057 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I thought they were paid. Just not completely ....is this not the case?

From reading through all 462 pages of this over time, I can't remember everything specifically. My recollection is that they were paid "something", most likely in the beginning and minimal. The fact that they are both out (by some reports) more than $10k each in back pay plus an MG game promised to each for their efforts ($15k), a total of $25k is a decent chunk of change.

#23059 7 years ago

OK people, prepare your down votes.

First of all I agree, Applejuice and ZY deserve whatever out standing debt is owed to them, plus a machine, plus they should be paid interest. Period, throw down the mic or whatever.

But what about all of the other vendors that also deserve to be paid? I know of other vendors that are also getting screwed and not all of them are on Pinside. One person had his invention stolen (or its idea) after showing it to Jpop. Shouldn't he be compensated also? Of course he should.

There is a long line of people that Jpop owes outside of our little Pinside world and I think they all deserve to be paid.

You guys with no involvement are continually coming up with these feel good solutions and telling other people how they should spend their money. If you're so horrified why don't you contact these guys and send them a donation.
And BTW, who is going to monitor these payment so that its paid out fairly? Certainly not you guys that post half baked, unrealistic solutions. You guys are too busy rocking in your chair collecting Up Votes for being obvious on Pinside.

And since when is anyone under any obligation to pay Jpop's debts other than Jpop himself. This is the real world people. Life is unfair and that's what the court system is for. And speaking of the court system, imagine the Judge asking Popadiuk under oath how he intends to pay off his debts.
"Well your Honor, it seems my victims are paying off my debts".

This is the same as people on Facebook sharing or clicking "Like" on a, Save the World meme and believing they've done something meaningful.

Rant concluded.

#23060 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

You guys with no involvement are continually coming up with these feel good solutions and telling other people how they should spend their money. If you're so horrified why don't you contact these guys and send them a donation.
And BTW, who is going to monitor these payment so that its paid out fairly? Certainly not you guys that post half baked, unrealistic solutions based on insufficient data. You guys are too busy rocking in your chair collecting up votes for being obvious on Pinside.
And since when is anyone under any obligation to pay Jpop's debts other than Jpop himself. This is the real world people. Life is unfair and that's what the court system is for. And speaking of the court system, imagine the Judge asking Popadiuk under oath how he intends to pay off his debts.
This is the same as people on Facebook sharing or clicking "Like" on a, Save the World meme and believing they've done something meaningful. Get real.

Upvoted. Agreed too, but would you rather have an non-supportive community here?

Not sure to which unrealistic solutions you're referring, but I would put my money where my mouth is regarding a GoFundMe. The challenge there is to find someone who everyone trusts to start it... not some guy who half the people don't really know yet. I'll donate today if you start it. If I started it I doubt it would get much traction 'cuz I'm just some dick from Utah who never put money down on AIW (though I had early interest).

That said, I agree that JPop should pay his debts or suffer the consequence of the law. You're right. there isn't a feel good solution, but maybe there's a feel better path--something better than workers/vendors/customers all getting the shaft.

#23061 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

First of all I agree, Applejuice and ZY deserve whatever out standing debt is owed to them, plus a machine, plus they should be paid interest. Period, throw down the mic or whatever.
But what about all of the other vendors that also deserve to be paid? I know of other vendors that are also getting screwed and not all of them are on Pinside. One person had his invention stolen (or its idea) after showing it to Jpop. Shouldn't he be compensated also? Of course he should.
There is a long line of people that Jpop owes outside of our little Pinside world and I think they all deserve to be paid.
And BTW, who is going to monitor these payment so that its paid out fairly? Certainly not you guys that post half baked, unrealistic solutions based on insufficient data. You guys are too busy rocking in your chair collecting up votes for being obvious on Pinside.
This is the same as people on Facebook sharing or clicking "Like" on a, Save the World meme and believing they've done something meaningful. Get real.
Rant off, sink me with your silly down votes.

Invention? What is this invention you speak of? Nothing is THAT unique that I see.

#23062 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Upvoted. Agreed too, but would you rather have an non-supportive community here?
Not sure to which unrealistic solutions you're referring, but I would put my money where my mouth is regarding a GoFundMe. The challenge there is to find someone who everyone trusts to start it... not some guy who half the people don't really know yet. I'll donate today if you start it. If I started it I doubt it would get much traction 'cuz I'm just some dick from Utah who never put money down on AIW (though I had early interest).
That said, I agree that JPop should pay his debts or suffer the consequence of the law. You're right. there isn't a feel good solution, but maybe there's a feel better path--something better than workers/vendors/customers all getting the shaft.

I appreciate your reply. I'm just tired of people telling other people what to do from their high tower and then hit the lazy boy thinking the world is a better place because of them.

A GoFundMe is a nice idea but have you considered how complex it would be to verify all debts and then distribute money collected?
Who is going to manage this fund?

#23063 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I appreciate your reply. I'm just tired of people telling other people what to do from their high tower and then hit the lazy boy thinking the world is a better place because of them.
A GoFundMe is a nice idea but have you considered how complex it would be to verify all debts and then distribute money collected?

Yep. There's no way to tell who's actually owed and what's actually owed.
RE: JPop paying his debts... if somehow the community were able to do *something* for the uncompensated workers/vendors and RAZA/AIW owners, it shouldn't absolve JPop at all.

Added over 7 years ago: ETA: No "easy" way.

#23064 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Invention? What is this invention you speak of? Nothing is THAT unique that I see.

I should have said his product. I forget the name of it but its the power shut down item he came up with for the P-ROC system. It's brilliant and he deserves a lot of credit.

#23065 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I should have said his product. I forget the name of it buts the power shut down item he came up with for the P-ROC system. It's brilliant and he deserves a lot of credit.

i believe you are referring to the awesome Scott Danesi's shutdown controller that will gracefully shut off the computer when the game is powered down.

#23066 7 years ago

In a business you get burned sometimes. I think ZY and Applejuice did a great job, kept on beleiving in the project although they knew there was no money to pay. Sometimes you do a project not just for the cold hard cash. Again ZY is doing fine and his art is amazing and many machines he did put him on the map forever in this scene. Just write some things of as goodwill/marketing, call it something. If you do not want to happen that to you, get paid upfront. I do not thinkk we need a fund to help these guys through the winter. Maybe ZY has the art himself. Would be great to have some translite made for framing, I would buy one from him.

#23067 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

In a business you get burned sometimes. I think ZY and Applejuice did a great job, kept on beleiving in the project although they knew there was no money to pay. Sometimes you do a project not just for the cold hard cash. Again ZY is doing fine and his art is amazing and many machines he did put him on the map forever in this scene. Just write some things of as goodwill/marketing, call it something. If you do not want to happen that to you, get paid upfront. I do not thinkk we need a fund to help these guys through the winter. Maybe ZY has the art himself. Would be great to have some translite made for framing, I would buy one from him.

If zombieyeti has Magic Girl artwork and copyright I would love to buy a translite! Heck the artwork is so pretty on this game I would buy anything he would like to sign and sell. Payment or not he should still be proud of how amazing his artwork on this game is!

#23068 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

And the judge you tell him whatever people are doing with their own money has nothing to do with his debts.

#23069 7 years ago

Perhaps for the right $(towards him obviously) , applejuice can release the source code. Then that could pave the way for repro MGs, with additional code & fixed mechanicals. Make repro MGs that are better and cost way less than the original! Pinball for the people!

#23070 7 years ago

Wow talking about MGR(emakes) already eh? "better than the original!" Is a low bar though

#23071 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Lol... I'll have to try this one too

Capture d’écran 2017-03-09 à 21.14.46 (resized).pngCapture d’écran 2017-03-09 à 21.14.46 (resized).png

#23072 7 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

Perhaps for the right $(towards him obviously) , applejuice can release the source code. Then that could pave the way for repro MGs, with additional code & fixed mechanicals. Make repro MGs that are better and cost way less than the original! Pinball for the people!

Isn't the only value of MG really just its rarity? Sure it looks nice but do we really need to try to make more of a JPOP box of lights?

#23073 7 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

I dont understand how this helps a whole lot. Seems there are shots to nowhere, mechanical pieces are missing, and it might must be a poorly thought out design. It seems like hes just soon put this in the past, unless someone pays him some ridiculous money to make the best of a shitty pin design.. And I hope someone does!

#23074 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Yep. There's no way to tell who's actually owed and what's actually owed....

Uh yeah there is... I have 9 thousand dollars worth of check receipts and Paypal... I know what I've been screwed for thank you very much.

#23075 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Uh yeah there is... I have 9 thousand dollars worth of check receipts and Paypal... I know what I've been screwed for thank you very much.

Ouch!

#23076 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

I don't care about the resale value as I'm not selling, but I will be pumping some more money into this to get the machine working better. I do think it has great potential.

Yeah, the Edsel had great potential too.

#23077 7 years ago

Pinballs, that was not a personal shot at you, just having some fun.

#23078 7 years ago

Thankfully, we won't be relying on MG for anything too critical

#23079 7 years ago

I'm waiting for MG to be used in the PAPA finals somewhere

with jim's deep ruleset that was ditched and half of the mechanisms missings, it might make for a very long and drawn out effort in futility

#23080 7 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

Yeah, the Edsel had great potential too.

I like to call it - a work in progress

pit3 (resized).jpgpit3 (resized).jpg
pit2 (resized).jpgpit2 (resized).jpg
pit1 (resized).jpgpit1 (resized).jpg
pit4 (resized).jpgpit4 (resized).jpg
pit5 (resized).jpgpit5 (resized).jpg

#23081 7 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Isn't the only value of MG really just its rarity? Sure it looks nice but do we really need to try to make more of a JPOP box of lights?

The lucky owners of these games can pour as much money as they want into trying to turn them into actual working games. The idea that any "crowdsourcing" would go beyond that immediate crowd is fairly laughable.

#23082 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I misspoke. What I meant was there was no easy way to verify everything that was owed. Some unscrupulous person could claim that they were owed something... that sort of thing. People with canceled checks or cc payment records would of course have proof.

#23083 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The lucky owners of these games can pour as much money as they want into trying to turn them into actual working games. The idea that any "crowdsourcing" would go beyond that immediate crowd is fairly laughable.

Agree and, in fact, seems like the potential pool is even smaller.

There are about 20 games? It appears most owners are interested in the unique investment aspect as opposed to making it a great playing game. Right now, it is the Winchester Mystery house of pinball...ramps that lead nowhere, areas that are inaccessible, etc. Seems like that adds to the whimsy, story and, therefore the value of the game. I'm not sure rebuilding the game based on JPop's perceived vision helps the value of the game. That's why I would be surprised if many owners wanted to invest additional $ in the game. In fact, if I were an owner, not only would I not put any $ into the game, I would love it if the other 19 did, so that my game remained the only original pristine example.

#23084 7 years ago

Lots of for sales from original buyers.

Lots of wanted ads too?

What gives??

Seller not willing to take a hit?
Buyers not falling for the HYPE that it's rare history and art piece so not willing to put out the big bucks?

IMO it's not a real pin and it will never have a good story, so what's the WANT all about?

I sure am curious on the thoughts of the folks putting up wanted ads.

#23085 7 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

Right now, it is the Winchester Mystery house of pinball...ramps that lead nowhere, areas that are inaccessible, etc.

I know you were referring to MG here, but this is a GREAT idea for a next pin. Shots that look like they won't make it, but open at the last second, or have variable places the ball reappears after going through the subway. I love the ramps that disappear into the backbox ( like TWD I Think?)

#23086 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I know you were referring to MG here, but this is a GREAT idea for a next pin. Shots that look like they won't make it, but open at the last second, or have variable places the ball reappears after going through the subway. I love the ramps that disappear into the backbox ( like TWD I Think?)

Good name also.

#23087 7 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Lots of for sales from original buyers.

Can't blame them.

It is a constant reminder of 5 years of gut wrenching pain.

#23088 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Can't blame them.
It is a constant reminder of 5 years of gut wrenching pain.

Speaking from first hand experience...

this (resized).pngthis (resized).png

#23089 7 years ago

Anyone contacted by a supposed WSJ journalist called mcgroartyp? I had a phishing PM, with no contact details included. Not terribly professional TBH, and could be anyone.

#23090 7 years ago

Real journalists always leave gobs of contact info, knowing that you are doing them a favor.

#23091 7 years ago

Lol rich dudes talking about gut busting pain. If it was so painful, you guys would be dumping it for what you paid.

For some, I am sure it was torture, for others, not so much!!

#23092 7 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

Right now, it is the Winchester Mystery house of pinball...ramps that lead nowhere, areas that are inaccessible, etc.

I recently visited the Winchester Mystery House, and they have a Theater of Magic pin in the gift shop. Naturally I set the Grand Champion score.

#23093 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Lol rich dudes talking about gut busting pain. If it was so painful, you guys would be dumping it for what you paid.

Was kinda my thought...gut-wrenching pain? You got your game. Sell it for what you paid and move on. The $30k of greedy profit in these asking prices is comical. Talk to a RAZA or AIW buyer about gut wrenching pain. They funded your game and get nothing!

#23094 7 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Speaking from first hand experience...

Sell it for what you got into it dude and move on. It would likely move for the original price. Why prolong the "pain" longer than you need to?

#23095 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

If it was so painful, you guys would be dumping it for what you paid.

Many ponied up for 2-3 games.

Got to get your money back for all 3, cuz you ain't getting no mo....

#23096 7 years ago

Hi. I'm a complete novice, so please consider such the words of one:

After reading a while on this... what's the actual problem? Broken physics? Incomplete coding?

As someone somewhat in the tech field, having someone try and build something as such and then in the end just say "Oh, can't make it work," really just makes me think that the person is just genuinely retarded and simply has a lot of time invested into similar things. And I don't mean such as a casual insult, but as a genuine "if I was watching this person for a week, I would probably at some point ask them what is wrong with them."

Realistic solutions for such things:
Physics: you could literally post the stuff on a college engineering forum and have someone spit back a legit 3D model with animations within a week tops.
Programming: Again, you could literally post this on a forum and have someone spit the full working code back.
Electronics: Again, you could have any enthusiastic college kid come and do it for you.
All this and waived rights and they wouldn't even bat an eye.

Also, stuff like this belongs on GoFundMe. Not on pre-orders.

#23097 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

Anyone contacted by a supposed WSJ journalist called mcgroartyp? I had a phishing PM, with no contact details included. Not terribly professional TBH, and could be anyone.

SpecialK said on his latest podcast (timestamp: 35:02) that he's "doing interviews" for MG. Maybe he dropped your name?

'mcgroartyp' could be this guy?
http://topics.wsj.com/person/M/patrick-mcgroarty/7352
https://twitter.com/patmcgroarty

#23098 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

I too got the similar and cryptic pm. I assume troll bait given the lack of professionalism and ignored.

#23099 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I too got the similar and cryptic pm. I assume troll bait given the lack of professionalism and ignored.

SpecialK mentions you at around the same time in his podcast when talking about his "media relations regarding Magical Girl", so the WSJ is probably one of the two places he contacted.

#23100 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I find that less irritating than the term "made whole". That sounds like something you'd say about someone waiting for news on a missing relative. I've only seen it used here, and for everything from full machines to $30 part deals.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 462 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/462 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.