(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,545 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 451 of 491.
#22501 7 years ago

Collect-ability is weird. This is a bit of an exaggeration, but sports card manufacturers used to print 100,000 copies of 1 card and they were worthless. They now print 100 copies of 1,000 cards and they are valuable. No change in the total number of cards available; but the manufacturers were able to create a demand by calling everything a "limited edition". Not quite as easy to do in the pinball industry since there are some larger manufacturing costs; but Stern certainly seems to be entering into that market. Take the base game; add on a numbered plaque, artwork, and powder coating; call it a "super limited edition"; and sell it for $5,000 to $6,500 more.

#22502 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't disagree with what you are saying. At the end of the day, some people got very lucky and others got screwed. Are the MG people entitled to that money more than the RAZA/AIW people? Hell no, but it's not like all the MG owners were going to get together and say, "Hey, let's auction off all the games to highest bidders and split the profits among ALL the pre-order people". In this dog eat dog world, that was simply never a realistic scenario.

That's right, that's what the courts are for. All the Raza and Aiw guys getting together like they have for quite some time

I didn't see a reasonable path forward before via litigation, now I do with what has just transpired Always a last resort

Now that the end zone dancing and football spiking is going on, it's time to ratchet up the pressure on Jpop

This is John's doing. No fault of MG guys

#22503 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If he built them on his own he could build another 30. That will be an option for the bankruptcy judge to consider
It was part of the original plan to build 50 anyhow. Bill, myself and others were "on the list"
His comment to me was, "how could anybody think I reasonably only build 13, 17, or 19, I really screwed that up"
Before expo, "Hey John are you ready for the MG deposit? No, but be ready, I'll be calling you guys soon"
Expo blew up with TBL and the rug reveal and the rest is history.

The day it was announced and I 'nearly' bought a spot, there were only going to be 13 ever made? And then numbers kept changing.

22 July 2011.

#22504 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't disagree with what you are saying. At the end of the day, some people got very lucky and others got screwed. Are the MG people entitled to that money more than the RAZA/AIW people? Hell no, but it's not like all the MG owners were going to get together and say, "Hey, let's auction off all the games to highest bidders and split the profits among ALL the pre-order people". In this dog eat dog world, that was simply never a realistic scenario.

I agree,just saying it feels wrong.
Not saying mg owners can help it.
It just feels wrong for 200 raza and aiw buyers.
First everybody is ecstatic about something being delivered to who cares who.
But it starts to sink in that magic girl is selling for insane monies and raza amd aiw paid for that.
Just sucks

IMG_3318 (resized).PNGIMG_3318 (resized).PNG

#22505 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Collect-ability is weird.

You can say that again, and it's not always just about rarity. Some things simply become more collectible than other things, and there isn't always an obvious reason why. For example, there are way less 24s out there than BBBs, and yet nobody really gives a shit about 24. For whatever reason, the people willing to spend the big bucks really want an MG in their collection, thus it has doubled in price overnight.

I will say this, you couldn't pay me to put an MG in my collection. In my eyes, that game was built from the blood of fellow hobbyists, and I consider its very existence to be a slap in the face to every person who lost money with Jpop.

#22506 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Expo blew up with TBL and the rug reveal and the rest is history.

Did John's "Big Labowski" reveal actually happen? Considering how TBL is going now...

#22507 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Did John's "Big Labowski" reveal actually happen? Considering how TBL is going now...

#22508 7 years ago

If you would have told me a year or two ago that people would have a magic girl in their house, while other people were fearful of losing all their money on the big lebowski I would have thought you were nuttier than a squirrel turd...

#22509 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

I'll never forget. December 17th post expo was supposed to be his own MG rug reveal.

Never happened and the wagons were circling.

He tried to hire a project manager that January, I spoke to the guy afterwards, of course JOHN didn't want to pay him anything

So many life lines the guy had

#22510 7 years ago

Are we seriously talking about Jpop building extra non-working, incomplete games that are woefully short on code, with ball traps, missing parts, toys that don't function and pixelated playfield artwork? And this is just what we know after less than a week.

Sounds like a Kickstarter I'll pass on but good luck in raising the capitol.

#22511 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Are we seriously talking about Jpop building extra non-working, incomplete games that are woefully short on code, with ball traps, missing parts, toys that don't function and pixelated playfield artwork? And this is just what we know after less than a week.

Haha, well it seems like there are buyers for it Kim! Hard to believe any left but the way people talk about it here there must be hundreds ready to line up to buy crap

John needs to figure out a way to build 30 of something, with his OWN funds, parts and labor.

He built 20. He can build another 30 and auction those off to pay off the rest of the creditors.

I'm sure Yeti and Applejuice wouldn't mind that option either

#22512 7 years ago

You guys have heard how the Kulek hearings have gone in bankruptcy court.

You think it's going to be any different? If Zidware and John are truly bankrupt then it's game over

Otherwise they need to provide refunds or a game, preferably refunds

This thing is FAR from being over

#22513 7 years ago

Don't know when it changed but I just noticed Houdini in the threads title. If he has nothing to do with that game why is it there?

#22514 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You can say that again, and it's not always just about rarity. Some things simply become more collectible than other things, and there isn't always an obvious reason why. For example, there are way less 24s out there than BBBs, and yet nobody really gives a shit about 24. For whatever reason, the people willing to spend the big bucks really want an MG in their collection, thus it has doubled in price overnight.
I will say this, you couldn't pay me to put an MG in my collection. In my eyes, that game was built from the blood of fellow hobbyists, and I consider its very existence to be a slap in the face to every person who lost money with Jpop.

Totally. I'm honestly wondering if these games would be selling for this much if they were produced as promised, and didn't have the notoriety or drama. Would this game still be selling for $20-$40k? At that point it would probably come down to how it played. Like you said it's not just about rarity.

#22515 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

He built 20. He can build another 30 and auction those off to pay off the rest of the creditors.

He needs to build more, and keep building more until sales dry up, or everyone with pre-orders are refunded...

#22516 7 years ago

I love the irony of the man who killed Pre-order, given a chance to do another pre-order.

#22517 7 years ago

Owning a full size mostly unworking game is overrated but if they were to make say 250 Magic Girl translites and 250 playfields all signed/numbered by Zombie Yeti I would be interested in adding one of those to my gameroom. Plus, they could use the profits to help make Zombie Yeti and Applejuice whole again. The game is basically an art piece anyway with a bunch of useless plastic and blinky lights, so just cut out the unnecessary stuff and just make the art available for people to enjoy!

#22518 7 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

He needs to build more, and keep building more until sales dry up, or everyone with pre-orders are refunded...

Would you trust him to pay of the vendors and previous buyers? Even if it's not a preorder it would seem like they would have to have a 3rd party handling the money. Plus, I think the announcement of another build would drive prices down pretty quickly.

#22519 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Owning a full size mostly unworking game is overrated but if they were to make say 250 Magic Girl translites and 250 playfields all signed/numbered by Zombie Yeti I would be interested in adding one of those to my gameroom. Plus, they could use the profits to help make Zombie Yeti and Applejuice whole again. The game is basically an art piece anyway with a bunch of useless plastic and blinky lights, so just cut out the unnecessary stuff and just make the art available for people to enjoy!

curious, would anything be stopping Zombie from doing just this? Seems like he owns the actual art and guessing his current contacts could easily print him up 250 pfs and translites.

I too woudl be up for buying one of these so long as I knew Zombie and AppleJuice were getting the profits to make them whole.

#22520 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

curious, would anything be stopping Zombie from doing just this? Seems like he owns the actual art and guessing his current contacts could easily print him up 250 pfs and translites.
I too woudl be up for buying one of these so long as I knew Zombie and AppleJuice were getting the profits to make them whole.

I was just editing my previous post to ask the same thing. I'd love to see John try to convince a judge he owns the rights to that work.

#22521 7 years ago

I'll be honest, it kind of sickens me when I hear how much some people are shelling out for an MG. I can't blame the MG owners for cashing out when people are literally throwing money at them, but it pisses me off that in some warped way it vindicates John (at least in his mind). The man didn't do anything to deserve any sort of vindication. In fact, quite the opposite is true. He pushed out a broken piece of shit game just to fulfill his legal obligation. By paying up for an MG, you are essentially condoning this bullshit.

#22522 7 years ago

A fool and his money...

#22523 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

There are fewer than 200 24's? I'll be honest, I played 24 for the first time at Pinburgh 2016 and enjoyed it.

#22524 7 years ago

I think most people are forgetting that most MG buyers are also in on at least one of the other games. It's still not over for most of us.

When I first signed on, I couldn't have been more excited about the prospect of having a new JPop game in my collection.

That went to crazy feelings of regret, idiocy, and deep sadness when things went to crap. I buried my head in the sand and wanted to read or hear nothing about all the negative goings-on. To the point that when Zombie-Yeti graciously offered some of his art to the buyers, I wanted nothing to do with it. I didn't want a reminder of how I'd been so screwed and stupid, hanging on my wall.

When Bill stepped in and it looked like things were going to get done, I got optimistic again. That quickly turned back to burying my head in the sand again when it fell apart.

Another round of the same when American Pinball came on the scene and then showed a dead playfield on a table for their Expo reveal of Houdini and promises of delivering MGs there came up empty.

This has been a crazy ride, and actually having a game in my collection after all of this isn't the negative reminder that some keep bringing up. It's vindication that not everything bad has to stay bad.

It may not be the game that I thought it could or would be, but it's better than the empty space and horrible feelings that were there before.

And, there's hope for the future of MG with the possibility of more complete code. Even the possibility of RAZA and AiW getting done is there. May not be very likely, but there are several times over the past few years when I thought seeing a Magic Girl in my living room wasn't even remotely possible.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#22525 7 years ago

How many Baywatches are there out there?

#22526 7 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

How many Baywatches are there out there?

A shitload. I've seen tons of them.

No production DE, sega, or Stern has been produced in fewer numbers than BBB.

#22527 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A shitload. I've seen tons of them.
No production DE, sega, or Stern has been produced in fewer numbers than BBB.

Stern NBA?

#22529 7 years ago

Stern NBA 350 to 450 units according to Mr. Pinball price guide. Two runs done both in 2009.

BBB
14 by Capcom in 1996
191 by IPB 2007

#22530 7 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

There are fewer than 200 24's?

I heard there were less than 200 of them made, but who knows for sure. Regardless, the point I was making is still a valid one. Rarity does not automatically make a game highly collectible.

#22531 7 years ago

Well, then a rich oil tycoon should buy up all of the remaining Baywatch pins and throw them off a roof, only keeping the top 20 machines that are in the best condition and working order.

Baywatch was expertly designed by Joe Balcer, with beautiful hand-drawn art by Markus Rothkrans. It has 4 flippers, 4 ramps, numerous working toys/mechs and 5-ball multi-ball. About the only thing Magic Girl beats Baywatch on is the color LCD, but unlike Baywatch's beautiful orange, value-sized DMD... the bottom 2/3 of the LCD on Magic Girl is un-viewable to the player.

Let's say there are 400 left and we offer $2,000 each. We then run a fund-raiser where we let men/women/children partake in throwing a pinball machine off of a 20 story building and watching it crash into the concrete below. Let's say we charge $20 for each of the 180 pins we are destroying. Because we're not in this for the money, we're just enthusiastic collectors, we'll donate that money we raised to charity. We'll also let people sift through the discarded parts and take all the working flippers, coils, magnets, rubbers, etc. Now we have 20 of best looking and playing Baywatch pins left in the entire world which I'm going to conservatively give a value of $40,000 to $60,000 each.

When all is said and done, our initial investment of $800,000 has left us with $800,000 to $1,200,000 of value plus all the money we raised for charity destroying the less fortunate Baywatches.

#22532 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I heard there were less than 200 of them made, but who knows for sure. Regardless, the point I was making is still a valid one. Rarity does not automatically make a game highly collectible.

1200 Stern 24's made in 2009 according to price guide

Sorry Brian, but point taken.

#22533 7 years ago

with beautiful hand-drawn art by Markus Rothkrans.

Rothkrans the 'picasso of pinball' art doesn't hold a candle in the wind to yeti

#22534 7 years ago

Well, then a rich oil tycoon should buy up all of the remaining Baywatch pins and throw them off a roof, only keeping the top 20 machines that are in the best condition and working order.
Baywatch was expertly designed by Joe Balcer, with beautiful hand-drawn art by Markus Rothkrans. It has 4 flippers, 4 ramps, numerous working toys/mechs and 5-ball multi-ball. About the only thing Magic Girl beats Baywatch on is the color LCD, but unlike Baywatch's beautiful orange, value-sized DMD... the bottom 2/3 of the LCD on Magic Girl is un-viewable to the player.
Let's say there are 400 left and we offer $2,000 each. We then run a fund-raiser where we let men/women/children partake in throwing a pinball machine off of a 20 story building and watching it crash into the concrete below. Let's say we charge $20 for each of the 180 pins we are destroying. Because we're not in this for the money, we're just enthusiastic collectors, we'll donate that money we raised to charity. We'll also let people sift through the discarded parts and take all the working flippers, coils, magnets, rubbers, etc. Now we have 20 of best looking and playing Baywatch pins left in the entire world which I'm going to conservatively give a value of $40,000 to $60,000 each.
When all is said and done, our initial investment of $800,000 has left us with $800,000 to $1,200,000 of value plus all the money we raised for charity destroying the less fortunate Baywatches.

I had to downvote this. Even if it was in jest.
You know when people freak over any sort of mention of cruelty to animals. I have the same reaction with pinball machines. Preserve NOT destroy.

#22535 7 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Rothkrans the 'picasso of pinball' art doesn't hold a candle in the wind to yeti

Blasphemy! Rothkranz is the World's top pinball artist. He'll tell you all about it

#22536 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

No clue? Really? Make another 30 now then.
People were flipping these for MUCH more months before they were delivered.

Who would pay to make them though? AP apparently ate the bill/cost on the 19, doubt they would eat the cost on building any more. They got nothing from JPop in the end, he's of no value to AP.

#22537 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

He showed part of it on his ustream 4 years ago:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/25967283

Thanks for posting that link.

Benheck that is a awesome mech. An underground bash reactor sounds fantastic!

#22538 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

there are way less 24s out there than BBBs, and yet nobody really gives a shit about 24.

I don't think Stern has ever produced a normal production game in quantities less than 500. There are 200 PMI BBBs + 13 originals.

#22539 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I don't think Stern has ever produced a normal production game in quantities less than 500. There are 200 PMI BBBs + 13 originals.

NBA?

#22540 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Stern NBA 350 to 450 units according to Mr. Pinball price guide. Two runs done both in 2009.

#22541 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Jpop/Zidware still lives under the Pintasia contract

A contract no one knows anything about it seems. Who is to say the Pintasia deal reaches beyond Magic Girl? Bill certainly didn't hint at that at the time. And why would John limit all future projects? He could just start another company and with new ideas.

#22542 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

1 at a time. I am guessing Jpop would/ is. Make one and it costs him 5k. Sell it out the back door for 20k. Build 3 more with that money and out the back door again.

You can't practically build games that way. You have to order parts in bulk, not 2-3 at a time.

#22543 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

A contract no one knows anything about it seems. Who is to say the Pintasia deal reaches beyond Magic Girl? Bill certainly didn't hint at that at the time. And why would John limit all future projects? He could just start another company and with new ideas.

My guess is that Pintasia has the rights to Zidware, not Magic Girl. For them to have done only 20 or even 50 machines would have been foolish.

Quoted from flynnibus:

And why would John limit all future projects?

Because he has no business sense at all. Seriously, I've met with him several times and I could make a case that Jpop is an idiot savant.

#22544 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You can't practically build games that way. You have to order parts in bulk, not 2-3 at a time.

Seems legit. :p

practical (resized).jpgpractical (resized).jpg

#22545 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

My guess is that Pintasia has the rights to Zidware, not Magic Girl.

I disagree. Based on the info shared at the time, the interest seemed to be about the titles, not the business. Why would he take on any of zidware's liability? He wanted the rights, and exclusive, to make the game. Did that include other games? Bill wasn't saying.. but something open ended just doesn't make much sense. Plus, as I said, John would just fold zidware and start over unless there are additional non-competes included. This is a lot of 'ifs' vs the most obvious answer.

#22546 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I disagree. Based on the info shared at the time, the interest seemed to be about the titles, not the business. Why would he take on any of zidware's liability? He wanted the rights, and exclusive, to make the game. Did that include other games? Bill wasn't saying.. but something open ended just doesn't make much sense. Plus, as I said, John would just fold zidware and start over unless there are additional non-competes included. This is a lot of 'ifs' vs the most obvious answer.

Disagree away my friend. What you are suggesting doesn't make sense to me at all.

#22547 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Thank you... He just slapped these half baked hunks of crap together to stay out of prison and people are coveting them. It's frigging mind boggling.

#22548 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Did that include other games? Bill wasn't saying.. b

When AP first announced I thought Bill made a post that he had the IP rights to make all four games and hadn't been contacted at that point. I may be wrong but that's my recollection.

#22549 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

When AP first announced I thought Bill made a post that he had the IP rights to make all four games and hadn't been contacted at that point. I may be wrong but that's my recollection.

He did say "titles"
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/386#post-3359585

But again, I wasn't really referring to AIW/RAZA.. Any new partner would want to separate themselves from the prior mess but still capitalize on his formula.

#22550 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

He did say "titles"
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/386#post-3359585
But again, I wasn't really referring to AIW/RAZA.. Any new partner would want to separate themselves from the prior mess but still capitalize on his formula.

As an employee or contracted designer, maybe. No one will ever want to be a partner with that cuckoo bird again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 451 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/451 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.