(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 446 of 491.
#22252 7 years ago

Kings chamber is labeled here:
http://magicgirlcode.org

It is behind the big central spinner, technically I guess same area where he was placing the ball to get shot up.

Quoted from rawbars:

I mean he didn't know where the kings chamber was. I know nothing about this pin. But wouldn't it be the box like thing with the bearded dude on it? And maybe it isn't, but at least throw the ball around a little and find out.

#22254 7 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

A box of pretty lights is better than a box of air. Kudos definitely go to everyone involved in getting owners their games. I'm very happy to finally have mine.
I think if applejuice is willing to continue with programming, a decent game can be made.
Right now it's a beautiful piece of artwork, and a gorgeous piece of pinball history, with one hell of a story to go along with it.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

Wait! Rob, you have Magic Girl?!

When will we see you build this thing back to complete?

#22255 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

One of Kaneda's best videos.
Boy, this game could have been off the charts good but we all know what happened.
Still, new code with existing mechs and it could still be a cracking, rare game.

The value is going to skyrocket. Congrats to the patient owners.

#22256 7 years ago

He should sell those folks 1000$ NVram. So they can sleep at night not having to worry about battery acid ruining their POS throphy game.

Highly prized, rare collectible, I don't even consider it a true pin. It's a delusional illusion at best. A large dust collector.

Marketing hype.

#22257 7 years ago

I think I have some original Jpop memorabilia I can scrounge up for sale

Some artistic original invoices. Original Raza and AIW paperwork with very limited edition doodling!

Perfect framing items for the MG collector

#22258 7 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

The value is going to skyrocket. Congrats to the patient owners.

"Patient" huh? I don't think they had much choice. The congrats probably should go to those that instigated legal action...

Without the legal stick waved over his head I suspect the owners would have had to have "endless" patience.

#22259 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Without the legal stick waved over his head I suspect the owners would have had to have "endless" patience.

This.

The squeaky wheel got the oil

#22260 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Once word gets around how it plays, you think anyone is going to pay even a quarter of what he did?

According to this thread they believe there are enough people out there to buy it just to say they have it. I don't believe it.. but even if he gets a few grand less than he paid, it still works out as a reasonable investment for him and his needs. 3-5k spend.. and he gets more return and exposure than he could any other way.

The guy has no room for a collection... does anyone think he really is going to keep a non-functional game as his only pin long term?? Nope, he can sell it on and claim he had to.. and it all dovetails nicely.

#22261 7 years ago

hey kaneda I know your reading this. thank you for the videos. I Think the special K thing is funny. Any chance you could open up the back box to see what is inside and how the speakers are mounted? or is there nothing in it? maybe I missed that. When you open the coin door is there a big annoying alarm sound? look forward to your next video jeremy.

#22262 7 years ago

Lite the kings chamber again and put it in the center hole and see if the magnet catches it instead of shooting out the top....

#22263 7 years ago

i think it's potentially a crappy path to fetishize and fixate on all j-pop merchandise and detritus as valuable and collectible. if every drawing and whatnot becomes some desirable collectible, well, that dude no doubt has rooms full of the stuff and you might wind up providing him with a rather comfortable living as he feeds that stuff into the pinball community through pseudonyms and back channels.

although i do hope anyone who invested money in this fiasco finds a way to make themselves as close to whole as possible.

#22264 7 years ago

Thanks to all involved with the videos... they are fairly enjoyable and as informative as could be expected in the circumstances.

Still such a tantalizing heartbreak: so much is dripping ideas and potential... have to wonder where it all *really* began to fall apart to where it was abandoned for so long. I'm sure many folks who have undertaken a major project (restoring a car, building a complex custom model, painting a masterpiece, building a house... restoring a pin...) has had that "eff it moment" that became "more than a moment"... on some level maybe we could relate to a point. To. a. point. I just want to ask him, especially given all the promises and money and livelihood at stake: DUDE WTF HAPPENED?

I have to think a seasoned pro tech, or even a stubborn focused hobbyist, could find a way to resolve most if not all of the mech issues. Adding the missing mechs/features and code is relatively easy too. Will it all work "as once intended and dreamed" is the question we still long to have answered, but that journey is only now just beginning.

But man, I don't know what to think of a character like JPop. Obviously had talent and maybe some nobler intent, but damn. The cynical view is this group of 19 pins is a lawsuit shield. The naive view is he really tried in some way to get something out there finally ugh. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle...

...and yet, that afterthought spinning outlane disc is pretty damning. As stupid-little-detail-obsessed as he seems to be, I can't believe he didn't cover the disc with some sort of custom art to fit the pf or theme. Nope. Just a black shitstain that kinda works half-assed? Sadly, that really sums up the whole project.

#22265 7 years ago

In the video with the playfield lifted up, there appears to be a bunch of Molex connectors that are not connected to anything, near the rear of the playfield.

Does the schematic show what these were intended for? Switches? Coils? Magnets?

#22266 7 years ago

Is there a manual? Will hopefully contain the schematics.

#22267 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

there appears to be a bunch of Molex connectors that are not connected to anything, near the rear of the playfield. Does the schematic show what these were intended for? Switches? Coils? Magnets?

Imaginary features inside John's head that will never come to light

#22268 7 years ago

There's a lot of pinball collectors, but very few of them have an extra slot in their gameroom for an un-fun game just for bragging rights. I know there are people like that, but most of us, say 95%, we have restrictions on space and we actually enjoy playing pinball.

Unlike MM or other games, no one has nostalgia for playing this title in the arcade. I'm sure they'll always be expensive but I don't expect them to be easy to sell. You have to hope one of the other ultra-wealthy collectors just *has* to have it at the time you're selling it.

#22269 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

Is there a manual? Will hopefully contain the schematics.

That seems extremely unlikely.. this game was put out under duress of lawsuits and not finished. Producing a manual, schematic, seems unlikely. Although, they did have to build cabling harnesses so there should be something at least in AP or JPOPs possession.

#22270 7 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

That seems extremely unlikely.. this game was put out under duress of lawsuits and not finished

I wonder when the lawsuit will change from "games weren't delivered" to "games don't have advertised features"

Jpop just jumped from one fire into another.

rd

#22271 7 years ago

Luckily we have some of the most talented and skilful people imaginable in this hobby, a lot right here on pinside, so hopefully some of the features can be added back in to some degree down the road.

#22272 7 years ago

Nice video K.

It really is a shame John was such a dope. Had he simply paid people, accepted help from others that knew what they were doing, he might still be blowing and going.

The massive ego, cheapness and greed factor did him in. He was content just paying himself until the jig was finally up and people had finally had enough of him.

It's a gorgeous pin. I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of John.

#22273 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of John

In what way? Everything about him has been revealed:
* He can't really draw beyond rough sketches, he can only collage other's work
* He has ideas, but has a hard time actually implimenting them
* He can't stay focus
* He doesn't work well with others
* He suggests to foamcore to prototype, yet I've never seen a foam prototype that was anything more than a static art piece
* Every layout (whether it's williams, or attempted MG or Houdini) has ball hangups (or paths that go to nowhere)

If you see ever hear about John again, it'll be as art director (if he's so lucky).. not as a designer... He's had too many chances.

#22274 7 years ago

Houdini was his last chance and they threw that into the garbage and started over than continue on it. Don't know how many more last chances he should be given.

#22275 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Houdini was his last chance and they threw that into the garbage and started over than continue on it. Don't know how many more last chances he should be given.

None!?

After the way he's treated the community and the people that put their faith and time into attempting to help him I'd say he's all out of chances.

#22276 7 years ago

I won't support until he makes customers and vendors whole.

#22277 7 years ago

He shouldn't be given any more chances but this is fickle pinball

He will try something. His massive ego won't allow him to quit.

There are people out there that will buy anything and he's learned how to slap some parts and a box together and sell it as art

#22278 7 years ago

16k pos, garbage
i got a totan, tom and whirlwind for that money.
so many great titles out there and people taking risks on these boutique pins. just crazy, i dont get the pin hobby.

#22279 7 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

16k pos
garbage
i got a totan, tom and whirlwind for that money.
so many great titles out there and people takings risks on these boutique pins. just crazy, i dont get the pin hobby.

I agree, this is more of an art piece than a pinball game. Pretty to look at, but don't play it.

#22280 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

None!?
After the way he's treated the community and the people that put their faith and time into attempting to help him I'd say he's all out of chances.

Oh, for certain, I agree, but its not up to me, and I agree with Ice that pinball is weird, and John seems to cast spells on people.

#22281 7 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

There's a lot of pinball collectors, but very few of them have an extra slot in their gameroom for an un-fun game just for bragging rights. I know there are people like that, but most of us, say 95%, we have restrictions on space and we actually enjoy playing pinball.
Unlike MM or other games, no one has nostalgia for playing this title in the arcade. I'm sure they'll always be expensive but I don't expect them to be easy to sell. You have to hope one of the other ultra-wealthy collectors just *has* to have it at the time you're selling it.

well, it will always be very, very rare and it will always be a fascinating curiosity. that doesn't necessarily mean it will sell for megabucks. but it ensures there will always be some desirability, especially for people with larger collections.

#22282 7 years ago

Magic Girl's historical significance: The first NIB project machine.

#22283 7 years ago

Maybe he should have gotten a sponsorship from the DIY network.

#22284 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Magic Girl historical value. The first NIB project machine.

Now isn't John supposed to fly out and help build the machine? Oh that is what the extra $1k is for.

#22285 7 years ago

First add-on!

repair_tool_kit (resized).jpgrepair_tool_kit (resized).jpg

#22286 7 years ago

K has hired John to come finish his pin. Has to sleep with the dog. Poor dog.

John is working for lunch and room and board

Same deal he gave others

#22287 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Now isn't John supposed to fly out and help build the machine? Oh that is what the extra $1k is for.

That was BHZA (without Ben knowing). You have no idea how close I came to being in on that one and got away. Not the "kit" version. But you got to pick the style of robot or alien you wanted so each game is customized to your taste and unique

Now looking back it all seems so stupid. Like Ben says, it is a zombie pin, what are aliens even doing on it.

Did anyone download a copy of that advertising poster and other pictures from the original website?

#22288 7 years ago

I almost sent a deposit on BHZA when I saw the lazy Susan underside playfield. That looked like that was going to be pretty cool. I held back and waited and found it was dropped. Then the artwork changed, and I moved on to want AIW. I inquired about it, but I didn't want to send a deposit until I saw some type of artwork and general playfield layout. I am still waiting to see that to this day.

#22289 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I almost sent a deposit on BHZA when I saw the lazy Susan underside playfield. That looked like that was going to be pretty cool. I held back and waited and found it was dropped. Then the artwork changed, and I moved on to want AIW. I inquired about it, but I didn't want to send a deposit until I saw some type of artwork and general playfield layout. I am still waiting to see that to this day.

Was that the Atomic Reactor? Man, what a flea circus. Here are some low rez flyers. (one #44 bulb, white rubber ring and real bumper cap)

benheck1 (resized).jpgbenheck1 (resized).jpg
plan_robot (resized).jpgplan_robot (resized).jpg

plan_playfield (resized).jpgplan_playfield (resized).jpg

plan_game (resized).jpgplan_game (resized).jpg

#22290 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

A Look Beneath the Magic Girl Playfield Video!
» YouTube video

I didn't think it was possible to make a machine harder to work on than WOZ. Looks like Jpop has accomplished that with the metal box pushed even further back in the base cabinet.

#22291 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Was that the Atomic Reactor? Man, what a flea circus. Here are some low rez flyers. (one #44 bulb, white rubber ring and real bumper cap)

I thought the design your own custom robot was one of the coolest ideas with that machine.

#22292 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Was that the Atomic Reactor?

I'm not sure. It was the 3 room rotating playfield that you can view through a 33 degree window of the main playfield. It is pretty much what BM66 has on the main playfield with the TV screen and the Batphone, etc.

#22293 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

K has hired John to come finish his pin. Has to sleep with the dog. Poor dog.
John is working for lunch and room and board
Same deal he gave others

That'd be silly if true. You'd be much better to get a real tech around and get the thing going properly.

Levi would get the thing working properly in a day or two.

rd

#22294 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I didn't think it was possible to make a machine harder to work on than WOZ. Looks like Jpop has accomplished that with the metal box pushed even further back in the base cabinet.

Dunno. Star Trek Next Generation is a pain, especially with that subway octopus. The Hobbit beast popup mechs are TERRIBLE to work on (if you've done the upgrade, you know what I'm talking about). I think WoZ is easier to work on than TH.

#22295 7 years ago

Yes that Hobbit popup mech upgrade is horrible!

#22296 7 years ago

The lower PF rotating was my idea. The flipper would stay put, and one of three "scenes" would rotate in. You'd have to clear them all to reach the reactor which you'd bash at. (Not sure if there would have been room to make it all fit)

There was also a window in the side of the cab that showed a glowing neon "reactor core" which was kind of a neat idea until you realize collectors pack these [pins] side-by-side like sardines. It served no purpose besides looking cool.

My pitch [that fit John's pre-existing ideas of a) Ben b) Zombies c) Theme park] was that you (the player) sneak into an abandoned theme park late one night to make out with your main squeeze. But then she's captured by "Evil Ben Heck" who has an army of zombies and he's going to transform her into their queen by midnight. You must battle [things] to get her back!

I don't think that plot was even considered. I mean just look how random the game became after I left.

John clearly just wanted to make an amusement park theme, but that's SO dated nowadays. I really pushed for "decrepit, decaying park" because I thought that would be much more visually interesting.

#22297 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Here are some low rez flyers. (one #44 bulb, white rubber ring and real bumper cap)

don't forget the promo video:

#22298 7 years ago

I was in about $3k on zombie adventure game #8. I got a refund at some point way before all the craziness started. I wonder who took my spot.

#22299 7 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I was in about $3k on zombie adventure game #8. I got a refund at some point way before all the craziness started. I wonder who took my spot.

The lucky one took your spot.

#22300 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The lower PF rotating was my idea. The flipper would stay put, and one of three "scenes" would rotate in. You'd have to clear them all to reach the reactor which you'd bash at. (Not sure if there would have been room to make it all fit)
There was also a window in the side of the cab that showed a glowing neon "reactor core" which was kind of a neat idea until you realize collectors pack these [pins] side-by-side like sardines. It served no purpose besides looking cool.
My pitch [that fit John's pre-existing ideas of a) Ben b) Zombies c) Theme park] was that you (the player) sneak into an abandoned theme park late one night to make out with your main squeeze. But then she's captured by "Evil Ben Heck" who has an army of zombies and he's going to transform her into their queen by midnight. You must battle [things] to get her back!
I don't think that plot was even considered. I mean just look how random the game became after I left.
John clearly just wanted to make an amusement park theme, but that's SO dated nowadays. I really pushed for "decrepit, decaying park" because I thought that would be much more visually interesting.

I sure would like to see Spooky make this game! Make is so. I wanted to buy the game just because of the lower rotating playfield. The art package helped too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 446 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/446 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.