(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 420 of 491.
#20951 7 years ago
Quoted from benfrith:

Incase anyone missed it on the photos page, there was a link to a video page as well
http://www.zidware.com/inventor/magicgirl/videos.html
A few of the links don't work right, but you can basically just follow the pattern to figure out the right link
example:
http://www.zidware.com/inventor/magicgirl/media/media6.m4v

Why wouldn't they just upload to youtube where it can be streamed instead of having to download each one to watch? Weird...

#20952 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Don't kid yourselves.
As long as this thing is playable, and has at least a basic rule set that uses all switches and features, it will be VERY valuable.
If the code is "open" somebody will finish it. Why wouldn't they? This is the same hobby where people manually colorize images frame-by-frame for little to no profit, and reverse engineer machine language on games like Data East Star Wars.
Long-term resale wise, 16k MG will blow away a 15k BB66LE.

Nailed it.

People are indeed kidding themselves if they think otherwise.

#20953 7 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

love it. Have to agree you B66 owners have had enough bashing...get it out here your only gonna hurt about 22 peoples feelings

You deserve whatever you got coming Billy for having to grab your ankles on this deal.

And like i said before, you deserve a F ing medal of honor for trying to help everybody out.

That pathetic look on the face of that POS is hysterical and I can't wait to see how this shit show plays out.

Does the pin ship with actual pinballs?

#20954 7 years ago

Wow, what a couple of years being on this forum can do to a man's eye. I see a pretty game with some nice plastics and ramps. Everything else is pretty standard. I won't say there won't be people who will pay money for the exclusivity, I'm saying I don't see a whole lot of pinball magic in "Magic Girl".

#20955 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Don't kid yourselves.
As long as this thing is playable, and has at least a basic rule set that uses all switches and features, it will be VERY valuable.
If the code is "open" somebody will finish it. Why wouldn't they? This is the same hobby where people manually colorize images frame-by-frame for little to no profit, and reverse engineer machine language on games like Data East Star Wars.

Yeah I believe it. And I'm happy for every person that gets one as they PAID for this thing with blood, sweat and anxiety. To go from thinking their money was down the toilet to now this... gotta feel sweet.

#20956 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

To go from thinking their money was down the toilet to now this... gotta feel sweet.

Bigly

#20957 7 years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadium_Events

The most valuable NES game is exactly the same as "World Class Track Meet" which was an uber-common pack in with the Power Pad.

But Stadium Events says something different on the box, cart and title screen, so it's $35k more expensive.

#20958 7 years ago

Im sitting looking at all my pop art from the 60's and 70's looks pretty colorful

warhol_marilyn (resized).jpgwarhol_marilyn (resized).jpg

#20959 7 years ago
Quoted from benfrith:

Incase anyone missed it on the photos page, there was a link to a video page as well
A few of the links don't work right, but you can basically just follow the pattern to figure out the right link
example:

The question still remains... can the ball make the upper ramp shots yet?

#20960 7 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Im sitting looking at all my pop art from the 60's and 70's looks pretty colorful

Yeah I can find you some girlie pink and purple art from EVERY era if you like it so much

#20961 7 years ago

I can see a flood of people trying to trade their TBL spots for a MG now. lol

#20962 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You deserve whatever you got coming Billy for having to grab your ankles on this deal.
And like i said before, you deserve a F ing medal of honor for trying to help everybody out.
That pathetic look on the face of that POS is hysterical and I can't wait to see how this shit show plays out.
Does the pin ship with actual pinballs?

Ice you know me I really don't care how well it plays obviously hoping for everyone's sake it is decent but at the end of the day it got done and some of those who suffered are getting something. He says onto Raza but I think I'm flushing that money down the drain

#20963 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadium_Events
The most valuable NES game is exactly the same as "World Class Track Meet" which was an uber-common pack in with the Power Pad.
But Stadium Events says something different on the box, cart and title screen, so it's $35k more expensive.

This phenomenon spilled over into and subsequently ruined Neo Geo AES collecting for me. Once carts started trading for pinball prices, why even bother. I'd rather have pinball.

#20964 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Yeah I can find you some girlie pink and purple art from EVERY era if you like it so much

If its worth as much as these please do pm me if you want to send to my residence!

#20965 7 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

He says onto Raza but I think I'm flushing that money down the drain

I hope not Bill, I was actually for the first time in a long time having a little hope that RAZA might actually get built

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

#20966 7 years ago

Game looks awesome but its all about how its plays otherwise it's a light show.

#20967 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I hope not Bill, I was actually for the first time in a long time having a little hope that RAZA might actually get built

He actually says he is moving onto Raza but Sean you know as well as I do that's another 3 years away if at all. Will keep my fingers crossed for you buddy

#20968 7 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

He actually says he is moving onto Raza but Sean you know as well as I do that's another 3 years away if at all. Will keep my fingers crossed for you buddy

I figure I'll be in Assisted Living at best before he ever finishes my RAZA. Maybe I can share the joy with my fellow residents at that point.

#20969 7 years ago

How far along was RAZA?

It looked like a thematic mess, he kept retooling it until it lost all identity, much like Michael Jackson's face.

AIW (though just a foamcore) seemed like a much more interesting concept and far more in his wheelhouse. Maybe he could move all orders into that?

#20970 7 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

If its worth as much as these please do pm me if you want to send to my residence!

I never liked Warhol but his most valuable pieces weren't pink and purple (to stay on point).

I get the feeling you don't like MY personal reaction to the color scheme of that "game" (if it plays)

My reaction to it was not designed to offend you btw... but it is what it is.

When I bought CV NIB on closeout I didn't love that scheme either. In fact it still looks like an eyesore in my home... but at $1700 new you couldn't pass it up.

#20971 7 years ago

What a crazy story... the fact that this game is going to see the light of day. Congrats to all of the owners. I hope the game far exceeds your expectations!

#20972 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

How far along was RAZA?
It looked like a thematic mess, he kept retooling it until it lost all identity, much like Michael Jackson's face.
AIW (though just a foamcore) seemed like a much more interesting concept and far more in his wheelhouse. Maybe he could move all orders into that?

I was very vocal moving AIW up and even forgetting RAZA as it was a legal nightmare with patent and IP infringements everywhere. It would be smart for AP to take the foam core and make it real. The layout was superb the art was over the top and it was just real. This would satisfy all Ben.

#20973 7 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Thanks Bill & congrats to all you MG guys! Its been a long time coming, I am glad to see that you will finally get your games.

#20974 7 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

This phenomenon spilled over into and subsequently ruined Neo Geo AES collecting for me. Once carts started trading for pinball prices, why even bother. I'd rather have pinball.

Fuck AES! MVS 4 LIFE!

#20975 7 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

I was very vocal moving AIW up and even forgetting RAZA as it was a legal nightmare with patent and IP infringements everywhere. It would be smart for AP to take the foam core and make it real. The layout was superb the art was over the top and it was just real. This would satisfy all Ben.

Agreed! I would gladly swap over to AIW from RAZA.

#20976 7 years ago
Quoted from benfrith:

example:

Those videos, or lack of, is exactly how John always obfuscated things in the past. There is
No way this thing plays half way decent.

#20977 7 years ago

Back in 2011 people were BEGGING for a zombie themed game, offering up their firstborn... So one can see why John picked that theme ($$$) but...

John clearly didn't understand the zombie horror genre at all. Thus all the clowns, lasers, aliens... he was throwing things at a wall and hoping Jeremy could make them stick.

AIW would be a much better fit for his style. Trippy, crazy, mad.... as a hatter! It would be a theme unlike anything current in pinball, and also have huge "wife approval" appeal.

It's not just RAZA, a fair amount of AIW pre-orders were taken as well. So why not make the BEST game you can to help all your customers, instead of a half-ass one that will delay the much better concept?

Sometimes the best creative expression is to bin an idea and start over. When people won't do that (ahem Predator playfield) that's when you should be worried.

#20978 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Those videos, or lack of, is exactly how John always obfuscated things in the past. There is
No way this thing plays half way decent.

RAZA is a F ing joke. So is AIW.

Have you guys seriously forgotten the last several years?

I don't want a box of shit with RAZA and AIW, you can keep my money! Chump change

I love pinball and playing it. IF that F er actually sends out a pin in MG that doesn't fall to pieces when you get it then I'll be shocked.

Don't turn it on, it might blow up?

Somehow John has all of a sudden created pinball Magic while Stern is having a difficult time, with all of that infrastructure, pumping out quality pins? Have people lost their minds?

Sorry everybody, glad you are getting what you paid for I think, but in NO WAY would i send my BM66LE or any other pin i have for that MG. Not even WPT or NBAFB

Let's see what happens when these amazing F ing machines get plugged in.

#20979 7 years ago

WTF, there aren't any "customers" any more.

As soon as the drama is finally over on this shit show nobody will care. Just a matter of time.

#20980 7 years ago

Sending out a pile of crap that falls apart won't help Houdini sales. For AP sake it should at least be built well. My guess is this pin will be the equivalent of having a hot girlfriend with a horrible personality

#20981 7 years ago
Quoted from laprocket:

My guess is this pin will be the equivalent of having a hot girlfriend with a horrible personality

Doesnt that sum up all Jpop games?

#20982 7 years ago
Quoted from laprocket:

Sending out a pile of crap that falls apart won't help Houdini sales. For AP sake it should at least be built well. My guess is this pin will be the equivalent of having a hot girlfriend with a horrible personality

ZERO chance any AP pinball games make it.

Who will buy a Houdini pinball machine given all the BS that goes into making a pin good?

Still MUCH better than anything Jpop can do handmade.

#20983 7 years ago

Looking to see how many MG are on the sale listings of Mr Pinball and Pinside in about 6 months. Probably not going to be a "keeper" in 1 spot too long.

#20984 7 years ago

Welcome back Kim!

Really an amazing week.

#20985 7 years ago
#20986 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Wow, what a couple of years being on this forum can do to a man's eye.

Check out what it did to his waistline.

#20987 7 years ago

Just listened to a couple of eerie podcasts from this K person and what a waste. This person claims to be the reason why GnR put out Chinese Democracy, bought a Hell Cat, purchased a Magic Girl spot, speaks ill of pinball companies, tells other people what to do with their health and money regarding pinball, and wants others to get the mods to allow him back on pinside? This person has got to be going through menopause, midlife crisses, or both? Best to you if you are reading this, but I do not subscribe to your fake pinball news. The only saving grace is the guests that are interesting and have done something in the pinball industry.

#20988 7 years ago

Yeah but he's building the ultimate arcade.

#20989 7 years ago

You can tell that MG is more meant to be looked at than actually played. Look at the deformed rabbits placed RIGHT next to each flipper at the inlane. Just when you need to see the ball returning to the flipper to judge it's speed, etc... there's a huge rabbit decoration blocking the player's view. There's a reason you don't put a hunk of plastic right before the ball returns to the flipper.

And so MANY delicate unsupported plastics littered all over the PF. Looks kinda neat but lets hope this thing doesn't generate any airballs or you're going to need some backup plastic sets. Maybe it will use the low power coils he used on CV.

That's if it plays at all... I didn't realize out of 4 or 5 "gameplay" videos there was NO gameplay. Vintage Jpop indeed.

For some reason he seems to want us to know his slingshots work though... in fact they KEEP working long after the ball is gone lol

Maybe I missed the point of that?

#20990 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I've seen all of them lined up in a row, about half are already boxed up and ready to go.

So i guess you didn't see any with mine or zombieyeti name on then.... Talk about rubbing salt in the wound.. (jpop that is)

#20991 7 years ago

MG 50k by x-mas

#20992 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Don't kid yourselves.

You've got that the WRONG WAY ROUND. If the game has the switches and mechs installed that were coded then it'll play fine. Please remember i worked on this game for 2 years and built up a lot of code often before mechs/features were finalised because everything was so slow to materialise.....

The game is going to need some updates most likely, and that's something that could happen if i had a game, but i don't so...

Also, there's the small matter of being owed $11K still, nearly loosing everything in the process, selling half my pinball collection, and getting shafted by Jpop on a number of agreements........

Just seeing the attract mode screen in the picture with him standing next to it, is building my rage again...

#20993 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Not sure what a magnetic jet bumper would entail, but it certainly sounds interesting.

The magnetic jet bumper is the one on the lower rhs near the skill shot, mystery target and right hand outlanes. The premise as coded by me was a jet bumper type operation using a magnet under the playfield that is activated by the 'hare' character in the game at certain points to disrupt and cause havoc. This was a concept jointly developed by myself and jPop.

I came up the idea of having a jet bumper cap floating above the area, so it gives the player a hint as to what the feature might be. You'll see a cap mounted on a plastic sticking out in the playfield there.

This is just 1 of the many concepts and features that were jointly developed during my 2 years there. There is much depth to the design, as we had many, many discussions and meetings to thrash out these ideas.

#20994 7 years ago

Poppy looks tired..
I would've given up 2 years ago.
Got to give him credit for that.

IMG_3041 (resized).PNGIMG_3041 (resized).PNG

#20995 7 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

If this wasn't the case, i wouldn't even be mentioning not getting what was agreed and i certainly wouldn't have spent 2 years working with zidware without a contract in place. This wasn't a hobby for me.. It was a career choice. You should listen to my interview with thisflippinpodcast for more insight. $11k was missing from the invoices by the end of my time there along with NO GAME and was why i had to stop working for them.
so to clear up any confusion YES i did.

Who decided that the only people due a game are the people who sent in cash? Those who spent an enormous amount of time working on MG would still be getting only pennies on the dollar IF they actually got a MG in the end. If it was, in fact, John's decision to leave out those who worked tirelessly on his games, well, that speaks volumes for his character. There are some who feel that John is losing his mind. In one of his lucid moments he said to me, "I have got to get these games out. Or I better get out. Like to Mexico." Joking or not, he knew how bad things were in that moment. But not a day later he would be aloof and confused. Just the kind of person you love telling you all the time, "Now Aaron, pinball is different..." when you would challenge them on business and operational basics.

We only wasted some time, postage and gas in our efforts to try and help John. To be crystal clear, I absolutely do not feel like we are owed anything at all. But when I see all this MG activity and none of it includes games going towards fulfilling commitments to those who actually did the work, well it just pisses me off.

I had no idea Jeremy (zombie yeti) even existed until he showed up on Pinside. I thought John was the artist. Why? Because he was signing the artwork like it was his while he was at the NW Pinball Show. Instead of using readily available pinball controllers, he decided getting a controller made for him made sense because he didn't like that pricing seemed too high (thinking he should get high volume pricing for game runs of <20?). He would talk about ideas which you shared with him as if they were his own (I had to stop him more than once and make sure he understood that repeating an idea in his own words did not make it his idea, too) and he hated being called on his distortion of fact. John always had someone to blame for something. He was petty and foolish.

John claimed that he wanted to mentor and teach the making of pinball to a new generation of pinball designers. What I learned from John Popadiuk was that the work of a pinball game designer is only a fraction of what it takes to make and sell a pinball game. Without a solid team, resources, infrastructure and someone actually running the business, you are just noodling away endlessly towards whoknowswhat. Running a business and leading and inspiring a team isn't easy and it certainly doesn't just happen as a bi-product of a bunch of talented, passionate people working together. John spent more time and energy trying to control everyone he worked with than he ever did teaching or mentoring in any meaningful way. It was this approach to leadership that had John burning through designers, artists, animators, engineers, programmers, and more. Instead, he could have stood back and had a killer team knocking out some pretty amazing pinball. But John couldn't get out of his own way and let great people do great work together.

I want nothing more than for those who are owed games and money from John to be made whole, if at all possible. But the legacy of John Popadiuk will be that of someone who preyed upon the goodwill of many kind, enthusiastic and supportive people in a selfish manner unmatched by anyone I have ever interacted with on even a semi-business level. I will remember John as someone who used people and who snatched away pinball money that could have been spent on the pinball creations from other companies. Saddest of all, for some, John turned playing pinball into a sad reminder of being taken advantage of by someone they once admired.

That's enough.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#20996 7 years ago
Quoted from ShinyNick:

Jpop just sent a pics link - I'm MG#006, I hope its in there somewhere!
http://www.zidware.com/inventor/magicgirl/images.html

I like the part where half of the videos return a "file not found - 404 (error)" error
for the sake of the 20 people getting one, I hope their machines run a little better than the website does

#20997 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

I would've given up 2 years ago.
Got to give him credit for that.

Disagree. Credit goes to the eleven people that stepped up and have an active lawsuit against Jpop. Without that he'd be sitting in his office right now re-designing rainbows.

#20998 7 years ago

Looks great. But I would not put too many games on it. The video of the misfiring slingshot is strange.

My bet is this is the first plastic to break.

MGRing (resized).jpgMGRing (resized).jpg

#20999 7 years ago

I really hope the game plays as good as it looks for those that have $$ invested.

Once design choice I don't understand is the LCD on the playfield.
Looks like some of it gets blocked, is there supposed to be some integration with gameplay, is that why it's there?

#21000 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

As long as this thing is playable

People keep giving WAY TOO much leaway to this. Do you actually expect these to play worth 2 shits? Honestly, to be collectible in the pinball world we have seen a game needs to atleast play reasonably well right out of the gates and hold up over time.

In just the handful of photos we can see all sorts of indicators that these are just thrown together to stay off conviction and legal matters. Hell, just the fact that you have huge clear inserts with no jeweling and you can already see insert edges shows the poor quality and how quickly this box of lights will fall apart if you actually play it.

There are numerous other things I see that are suspect (still everyone glossing over that odd pop bumper) in design and playability.

Sure, some other rare games that play less than stellar are collectible, but those games have at least held up well over many years of play (BBB) and have another important aspect of collectibility... time and in cases decades of time since when they were built.

I am guessing these games will rarely be seen or played anywhere. The reason being that owners will not want them in public for people to see how poorly they are constructed and lack of playability. The only way to flip or resell will be to keep them hidden away to add to the mytic and wonder. Then the limited # will keep them desirable. It actually becomes a self preservation thing among owners that will continue to keep them hidden and hence try to keep the value high. Hell, we are already seeing some of the over inflating with some people saying Chris bought his for 24k just to try and make it see like that is a realistic value (if one moron paid that as an investment to flip then it must be a good price, lol). Then we hear from others that Chis paid 20k and others have said he actually paid less than original cost.

Lets be honest. There are quite a few original owners that will try to flip these as quick as possible for as much money as possible. The new owners will hide them away to be rarely seen and resell them at a later date.

If a BBB in pristine condition with tons of extras is not selling for 20k, then you have pretty much seen the ceiling on the high end collectible market for pinball machine. That game is actually considered fun by many and playable by most. It also has a positive story and much better history.

I just hope at elast one owner opts to bring the game out in the public eye for play. I am sure at least one will and then the rest better scramble to sell quickly, lol. Not a whole lot of meat on the 13k investment for the past 4 years.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 420 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/420 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.