(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 416 of 491.
#20751 7 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

That said, I did all that detailed work (and much more than you see) for that game for little to no pay, tons of headaches, & no fanfare (since I was contractually hidden) for years. Why? Simple. I was promised a game from the beginning.
As of today I've heard NOTHING about John making good on that. I know at least 3 others in the same boat. I hate to break the bad news but with that in mind, I can assure you RAZA and AIW will NOT have my hand to finish the art as a result.

Have you contacted the American Pinball people? They seem to be making it clear they were just building on contract but perhaps they could assist you in some way. Maybe one of the two prototypes or something would be available to satisfy the obligation...who knows.

#20752 7 years ago

Wait until you have the games before making any decisions. In fact, wait until they have a decent number of plays too. Would suck to drop the case and find out they all fall apart at 100 plays.

#20753 7 years ago

If signing something agreeing to no litigation is part of receiving the game, and I was owed games past MG, I'd tell them to light the piece of paper on fire.

#20754 7 years ago

I think I'd take the deal.

John did this the right way. That Predator moron you got dead to rights but you'll never get John, ever. Take what you can get.

#20755 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Between this, and Predator, and the press pinball has been receiving lately (like in the New York Times and CBS), it looks like 2017 is shaping up to be one hell of an interesting year for pinball.

#20756 7 years ago

Yeah, no right or wrong decision but if I was in on MG and I nearly was, I would now grab the game as going to court can achieve some revenge but rarely adequate financial recompense, especially if there isn't any money!

#20757 7 years ago

Either he is giving you the game you paid for or not. You already signed enough NDA and crap from him. If he says you must sign to get your game and you can't sue for any other reason it sounds like blackmail.

Take the game. Tear up anything you signed and sue him for what he owes you AND for trying to extort you.

#20758 7 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

I was promised a game from the beginning.

I hope you got that in writing, because I would not trust John to uphold his end of the deal.

#20759 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Either he is giving you the game you paid for or not. You already signed enough NDA and crap from him. If he says you must sign to get your game and you can't sue for any other reason it sounds like blackmail.
Take the game. Tear up anything you signed and sue him for what he owes you AND for trying to extort you.

If you sign something saying that you won't sue him in exchange for getting your pin, what are you losing? Nothing, because if you don't get the game, guess what? You still get to sue him.

#20760 7 years ago

I'm hoping to get more info soon...

#20761 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I'm hoping to get more info soon...

On which aspect?

#20762 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

On which aspect?

All aspects. I got an email from Mr. Popadiuk a few weeks ago in response to my request to talk to him; unfortunately, I got the email the same day my father-in-law passed away so I didn't respond to it immediately.

Fingers crossed! Fingers crossed that the people that bought MGs get them, fingers crossed that the game will have been worth the wait, fingers crossed that the people who worked on the game get properly compensated for the work they put into it, fingers crossed that Crazy Levi ends up having to play a MG in competition and it somehow falls on top of him. Fingers crossed!

#20763 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

All aspects. I got an email from Mr. Popadiuk a few weeks ago in response to my request to talk to him; unfortunately, I got the email the same day my father-in-law passed away so I didn't respond to it immediately.
Fingers crossed! Fingers crossed that the people that bought MGs get them, fingers crossed that the game will have been worth the wait, fingers crossed that the people who worked on the game get properly compensated for the work they put into it, fingers crossed that Crazy Levi ends up having to play a MG in competition and it somehow falls on top of him. Fingers crossed!

Did he agree to talk?

#20764 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Did he agree to talk?

Yessir.

#20765 7 years ago

If zombiyetti does not get a game, it really feels like everyone else should kind of crap on this as well. The ONLY reason this game is what it is, is due to his artwork. As others have said, the game barely flipped and was a mess, but everyone still wanted it because it was amazing to look at.

#20766 7 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

If zombiyetti does not get a game, it really feels like everyone else should kind of crap on this as well. The ONLY reason this game is what it is, is due to his artwork. As others have said, the game barely flipped and was a mess, but everyone still wanted it because it was amazing to look at.

Totally agreed to the former, but as far as the latter is concerned: the game that people barely flipped was a long time ago. Hopefully it's in a much better state now.

#20767 7 years ago

Well folks, the request lines are open! Send Cornelius your very best JPop questions to be asked! No holds barred!

Seriously, there are some legit questions that you may not think of to ask him, so i am sure the pinside crowd can offer up some good ones. Doesn't mean JPop will answer them.

#20768 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Well folks, the request lines are open! Send Cornelius your very best JPop questions to be asked! No holds barred!
Seriously, there are some legit questions that you may not think of to ask him, so i am sure the pinside crowd can offer up some good ones. Doesn't mean JPop will answer them.

Great idea! But perhaps people should PM them to me. Too pitchfork-y and the guy might get reluctant to talk.

#20769 7 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Look at the expensive collectible. King Kong has anyone actually played it? Just rare that's it. kP ok. BBB ok. All rare. Don't be a hero you know this will be a collectible. It's Pinball history. Glad all those involved get the machine. Let's hope he moves into Raza.

Jeff Reynolds here had all of them.. King Kong, KingPin, BBB.. including a Krull all lined up. Krull wasn't playable at the time from what I remember.. but King Pin and BBB are worth playing.. King Kong wasn't memorable. But those games are desirable because of their true rariety and the 'aborted' nature leading to true scarcity. MG is like most 'collectables' put out now.. artificial scarcity and BOUGHT from the start as a collectible. So there won't be the same type of scarcity+demand.

#20770 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

MG is like most 'collectables' put out now.. artificial scarcity and BOUGHT from the start as a collectible. So there won't be the same type of scarcity+demand.

I see your point, but if I had to choose between BM66 SLE and MG (in the same price range) I would pick MG. The 6-year wait will make it legendary, assuming it's not simply a shining box of lights.

(My opinion of course, and I confess a bias towards the underdog)

#20771 7 years ago

not sure if I like this or the Kevin thread posts of today better..

nah I'm sure, Kevin thread. Given all the vendors and Raza and other people still being left in the breeze here.. can't really get excited by this outcome. It's tainted no matter what.

#20772 7 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

It's tainted no matter what.

fully agree. I sure hope people are not taking care of themselves without staying banded together to make sure the people that even made this possible get paid. If both artist and programmer were promised games in exchange for their work then I hope the others that paid in stick it to John and make sure everyone is made whole.

It will really take the group effort to hold jpop accountable. MG being made (wont believe it till I actually see it and flip it in person) for 19? people does not erase all the other obligations that need to be paid off, plus raza and aiw buyers. Hold strong and help force John's hand and American Pinball's hand.

#20773 7 years ago

We know the cabinet art is substantially different, so something happened there, but so far no one can find any information on the programming of the game at all. We know no one at AP worked on it.

JPop likes to silo everything so it's possible that he's suckered another programmer into working on it that isn't connected to pinball and isn't on pinside, but that seems absurdly unlikely. Common sense would say that it's still running the same unfinished code from the one public appearance.

#20774 7 years ago

Can't see the collector value in this virtual pin. (harder to find a pic of one than the lockness monster or yetti/big foot). I'd buy JPOP's best 3 pins - TOM, TOTAN and CV and a GB to see ZY's art - for the same cost. Guess which option I'd choose 1000 out of 1000 times? I might offer $1k for one because of esthetics (beautiful art + what looks to be a 'pinball machine'). On second thought I'll pass, because there is no room to put it and would rather have 4 fun, working games. I really can't see these things selling for more than a Stern, in a few years. Of course, Stern's might be going for $15k by then.

#20775 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I really can't see these things selling for more than a Stern, in a few years....

I see your point but I totally disagree.
Just based on pure rarity alone there will always be a higher dollar value put on these.
King Kong isn't an amazing game but still demands a $20k+ price tag because there are so few of them.
Kingpin is a decent playing game with less than 10 made and most often change hands for over $50k+.

This game, having an initial value of $16k will easily start selling for a lot more. Hell, there is even a fairly recent sale to a well known "eccentric podcaster" who bought one second hand for $24k and that was WITH the possible risk of the games not even getting produced!

This game will always be wanted by the hardcore rarity collector because of it's rich (for lack of a better word) history/story and the fact there is only 20 of them (plus a few proto's). If you ever get your hands on one and sell it, I think it's safe to assume you'll NEVER see it again. I doubt anyone who buys it will ever sell it for less (if they did sell it, which most likely they would not).

All I'm saying is, these games will be very sought after (similar to KP, & KK, e.t.c.) and that will directly effect the price, regardless of gameplay, code, or any other possible issues. People will be looking for a collector piece, not necessarily a game they want to play everyday.

#20776 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

(harder to find a pic of one than the lockness monster or yetti/big foot).

#20777 7 years ago

In the videos, why does nobody ever hit the ramp? Is it even a makeable shot?

I think this will turn out to be a very valuable game. No collection of super rare games would be complete without it.

I predict that the one-who-shall-not-be-named sells it within 6 months for a tidy profit.

#20778 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

The sample game in the video had a playfield overlay with a bubble around the flippers that caused the ball to lose momentum. Also if I remember correctly the ramp was wobbly because adjustments were being made to it to get it ready for the show. If the ramp was finished and mounted properly it would probably be possible but who knows... I haven't played the final game so I can't say.

#20779 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I think this will turn out to be a very valuable game. No collection of super rare games would be complete without it.
I predict that the one-who-shall-not-be-named sells it within 6 months for a tidy profit.

If it's the video from the Northwest show then ya, that was more of a proof of concept than prototype. It was barely playable at best. That was a last minute effort when Pdxmonkey flew out to Chicago to help John last minute (on his own dime mind you) and drove that thing all the way across the U.S. to the show. At the time, JPop had led him & Pintasia, to believe it was MUCH MORE complete than it actually was.

From what I hear the currently produced game has been re-worked to make it play like it should e.t.c.

As owners pick up their games over the next week or two I'm sure we'll see plenty of pics & video.

#20780 7 years ago

Given all that has transpired, I am amazed people believe that the game has actually been made. The only evidence is two emails that have somewhat contradictory info. Where are the pics? Video? I will believe it only when owners have it in their hands.

#20781 7 years ago
Quoted from cliff_clavin:

Given all that has transpired, I am amazed people believe that the game has actually been made. The only evidence is two emails that have somewhat contradictory info. Where are the pics? Video? I will believe it only when owners have it in their hands.

I know of several people that will literally be on the road picking up their games over the next few days...

It's been 6 years of HELL (that I've got to experience first hand )

Be patient for just a few more days

#20782 7 years ago

Also remember this is the hobby where someone disassembled the Data East Star Wars code and wrote an update.

This game will get coding love.

#20783 7 years ago

I listened to the topcast interview with Kordek again today, and he really avoided saying anything negative about anyone, but did say jpop wouldn't listen and he was impossible to work with.

#20784 7 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

I see your point but I totally disagree.
Just based on pure rarity alone there will always be a higher dollar value put on these.
King Kong isn't an amazing game but still demands a $20k+ price tag because there are so few of them.
Kingpin is a decent playing game with less than 10 made and most often change hands for over $50k+.
This game, having an initial value of $16k will easily start selling for a lot more. Hell, there is even a fairly recent sale to a well known "eccentric podcaster" who bought one second hand for $24k and that was WITH the possible risk of the games not even getting produced!
This game will always be wanted by the hardcore rarity collector because of it's rich (for lack of a better word) history/story and the fact there is only 20 of them (plus a few proto's). If you ever get your hands on one and sell it, I think it's safe to assume you'll NEVER see it again. I doubt anyone who buys it will ever sell it for less (if they did sell it, which most likely they would not).
All I'm saying is, these games will be very sought after (similar to KP, & KK, e.t.c.) and that will directly effect the price, regardless of gameplay, code, or any other possible issues. People will be looking for a collector piece, not necessarily a game they want to play everyday.

To the museum collector. Not the player collector. Not someone who might hit the start button. What happens when it breaks? Pinside bitches about PPS response, Stern silence, JJP timelines . . . Can you imagine "when" something goes wrong here? You thought Rick goes silent? JPop is unreachable while taking your money and you know AP has already waved any responsibility past being an assembly line.

At least with King Pin, King Kong and Krull they were made by companies with a history on board sets and basic assembly parts. If you have the money there is a High End Pin person who can help you. If this jerk wants a release I'd ask about the warranty first.

#20785 7 years ago

"The end of another long journey, and the start of new legacy."

The story is what will make Magic Girl worth the effort for collectors, not exclusive to rarity alone.
The extreme "waiting game" actually will make the game more lucrative, not less.
In some ways, the game will not even have to work, as sad as may be in terms of electronic architecture, it just has to "exist".
All pinball games can be repaired, unless there is some type of archaic IC used in PCB design.
This near release does not yet have this source problem based on technology.
Playability in regards to design is a different aspect, which should remain a concern, not related to build quality.

Most Magic Girl owners are not going to be debuting anything on PinSide, let alone complaining.
Many just a happy to own the game at all.
Some do not even have accounts, and many know how to restore games including electronics.
Most are very private individuals.
Those that show anything here are for epeen, marketing, or business.

Serious collectors have many more resources than average enthusiast.
This should sound familiar, as this is the same thing that happened though IPB and BBB.
New collectors did not buy BBB, old collectors did, with a few exceptions of nonsensical "high rollers", as at least the game was somewhat affordable (although over 40% higher in cost of a NIB at the time).
Most moved BBB on less than 2 years later, when they became bored or got out of the hobby.

This game was NEVER marketed towards new collectors, players, regular enthusiasts, families, or CARGPB ever.
I am fortunate that I will be part of an unboxing as I have been with other rare titles.

#20786 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

To the museum collector. Not the player collector. Not someone who might hit the start button. What happens when it breaks? Pinside bitches about PPS response, Stern silence, JJP timelines . . . Can you imagine "when" something goes wrong here? You thought Rick goes silent? JPop is unreachable while taking your money and you know AP has already waved any responsibility past being an assembly line.
At least with King Pin, King Kong and Krull they were made by companies with a history on board sets and basic assembly parts. If you have the money there is a High End Pin person who can help you. If this jerk wants a release I'd ask about the warranty first.

It's true. I would not want to own this game unless I was an extremely accomplished pinball tech, or had one available.

#20787 7 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Hell, there is even a fairly recent sale to a well known "eccentric podcaster" who bought one second hand for $24k

Quoted from Russell:

not if he paid 24k, he wont. He will of course lie to everyone and say he did.

#20788 7 years ago

Sad how lack of communication, lack of integrity, lack of perceived ability, and lack of common sense makes for a rare collectible.

#20789 7 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Sad how lack of communication, lack of integrity, lack of perceived ability, and lack of common sense makes for a rare collectible.

Well it's pretty easy to make something rare. I would hardly call it collectible though. It has that jpop stinky taint to it and always will.

#20790 7 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Prices are rising quickly. Find a resale and prepare to pay premium, before they become even more collectible. Sheesh. Nobody is going to offer $5k for one of these by 2022.

#20791 7 years ago

I never got a full refund but I did get partial refund for 3 months plus this neat TShirt.

Congrats to everyone, what a ride!
Is 19 the confirmed number as it was only 13 then 19 then maybe expanded to 30 or 50.

20170214_173515 (resized).jpg20170214_173515 (resized).jpg

#20792 7 years ago

It is good news to hear that MG may see the light of day and going to the owners who had invested into John may finally be made whole.

Quoted from zombieyeti:

As of today I've heard NOTHING about John making good on that. I know at least 3 others in the same boat. I hate to break the bad news but with that in mind, I can assure you RAZA and AIW will NOT have my hand to finish the art as a result.

But with what Zombieyeti said. There are a lot of burnt bridges to get these owners their games, and to the venders that have nothing to show for it but their desire to help a designer fulfill his dream of making his game in good faith are now left with nothing for their efforts. AGAIN if it was not for these people you all would not be getting a MG.

I am also one of those people that have been involved with helping John create his vision. I feel most of us have kept quiet because at the end of the day we all wanted this to work out for the buyers, John and the venders. But its beginning to become very clear it will be the people who have swooped in at the end that will benefit from the long, tough around the clock work of these venders.

Again, I'm happy to see the game coming out but it truly saddens me to know that there are people that have worked on this project that are very talent individuals that have been kick to the side, burnt from their experience and did it all to help John to live his dream.

#20794 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

But its beginning to become very clear it will be the people who have swooped in at the end that will benefit from the long, tough around the clock work of these venders.

Who are you referring to?

#20795 7 years ago

Wow considering what a long, bad and strange trip this has been, I guess it's fitting that after all the years of waiting Kaneda will get a game from JPOP/Zidware and most likely I never will.
Feels like one final kick in the nuts from John!

RAZA #54

#20796 7 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Second that.. the vendors and Raza being left in the wind is an issue. However the people that swooped in at the end aren't getting a dime more from MG buyers.. though yes, the details of the John and American pinball's arrangement isn't public .

#20797 7 years ago

If this all actually happens then that's great. If someone actually picks up a game then maybe you can thank johnny pop a duce for finally getting something delivered after all his pathetic antics. I would then ask sh!t head "where's Zombi Yeti's game.....where's Applejuice's game, where is everyone else's game??????".

THEN, after I loaded the game into my vehicle I would turn to johnny and tell him to go f#ck himself. Yup, that's what I would do indeed And I would feel good.

QSS

#20798 7 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Honestly I don't know but do you really think John has been working alone since Bill's involvement?

Will we ever know the truth behind all of this? Time will tell. But I am greatful to have finally meet some of my follow pinballers that have worked on these games.

#20799 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Feels like one final kick in the nuts from John!
RAZA #54

I'm aching in the groin right there with ya'. RAZA #7

I'm still not understanding how this recent "proclamation" seems to have appeased so many. Why has there been total silence up until this point? John has done nothing so far (IMO) to make anything "whole". There has been no communication with his customers, he's hidden in the shadows and has a group of his buyers spending even more of their money filing a lawsuit in Illinois court. I'm not convinced that this sudden "completion" of MG machines is not simply part of a ploy to get the lawsuit dismissed.

I'm absolutely thrilled if MG buyers actually get a machine resembling what was promised and displayed to them for years in the blog. I'd just like some actual explanation where it came from.

#20800 7 years ago

If John has successfully built the MG's, would he be able to build more? Is he contractually obligated to not make more than 19?

He could sell many more after these are delivered.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 416 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/416 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.