(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 491.
#151 9 years ago

He's coming to Tacoma?!

#152 9 years ago

Yes, trying to find a little family car to borrow if you are coming the friday? I could at least get Machine it to my GF house in Mercer so you dont need to worry about it John is coming fri and setting a small table out in the lobby area!

#153 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Oh and I will ask about NDA and how he sees it. Want to hear from the horses mouth. Disclaimer I have not signed one yet!

The NDA is what it is and while it might still be important I don't think it has the same level of concern from his standpoint when the venture first started and all of the things that have transpired in the interim. It's about protecting IP and that is almost impossible under the current broken US system, especially for small business owners. There isn't a lawyer in the country, except for maybe a die hard pin head who wants to waste his time, that would take on trying to quantify the damages number one and then number two work on a contingency fee basis and thus, leaving John to shell out big bucks on an hourly basis to recover what? And from whom, a bunch of judgment proof pinheads? It's basically an honor system.

Ok Wc, Question #1 has to be who is doing the programming! And that may have to be questions 2-10 as well……

I thought originally it was going to be Ben H. but now its still somewhat of a mystery, Steven P is right, the music and sound will be the best out there unless the other guys leapfrog…..

#2 When do you think production of MG will begin……….."ish"

#3 When do you think production of RAZA will begin……."ish"

#4 After building out the platform and base system for future pins like AIW, how long would you predict the production cycle to be since so many things have already been put into place?

#5 How many patents do you currently own and how many more are on the drawing board to be applied for…….

#6 Since you have moved into the new space, how many pins do you think you could reasonably produce on a weekly basis……."ish"

#7 What if you meet a premature death? Is there a key man term policy set up to fund to essentially reimburse deposited funds, like an escrow account. I'm pretty certain John is "key", "critical" and whatever other word denoting MVP level you can think of!

#8 Will there come a time that as things get rolling we could get a little better accounting system so we know where we stand on payments? i.e. setting up a Quickbooks invoicing system is simple

#9 How long do you plan on producing pins under the Zidware brand, can you ever fathom a time that you might go work for a Stern or a JJP? Is that out of the question?

#10 Back to the programming question again, since its not PROC, will there be an opportunity for future updated software releases on all Jpop pins as sort of a "service pack" that we can pay for? It's a "boutique" business, why not be different, after all, paying big bucks for a limited pin that should have "longevity" and not get stale.

#154 9 years ago

This is the worst update thread ever, but I admire your passion, Iceman!

I would be interested to hear if they are looking into having Stern make their games as with the MMR.

#155 9 years ago

too low of numbers these will be built like Bens . Also I said before new programmers and up and comers. .. will try and get names

1 month later
#156 9 years ago

Wow!! What can you say about this piece of RAZA cabinet art from JPOP? Amazing.
Watch out Bad Cats, it's a Zombie Cat !!
This was posted on the Pinball Inventor FB page on July 10th.

Zombie cat.pngZombie cat.png

#157 9 years ago

3 protos are being assembled now

Looking forward to that case of beer from RD

#158 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Looking forward to that case of beer from RD

3 protos of what?

#160 9 years ago

Very cool.

I'm curious... what are the terms of this "case of beer" bet between iceman and RD?

#161 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Whitewoods? Or with actual playfield art?

#162 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Whitewoods? Or with actual playfield art?

The playfield art piece is trivial. OK, maybe one step more involved than the cab art (simple decal printing) but what difference does it make if there's art on a playfield prototype? Believe it or not, the *important* part of a prototype is the physical/mechanical/electrical assemblies, not the superficial artwork. That can (and generally does) get finalized and applied last of all.

#164 9 years ago

Magic girl has like at least 4-5 complete cabinets with art and semi populated play fields with full art. The plastics are done also. Not sure if its a full playing game yet but it looks close mechanically. Not even a clue as to video or code being close. Boards look cool.

#165 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What happened to Magic Girl?

This week marks the three year anniversary of its announcement.

#166 9 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

At this point it seems a no-brainer to contract Stern to build the games... would get out faster and in higher volumes than the handful they intend to produce. That would allow more time to design games.

#167 9 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

It never even occurred to me that it would take this long. I was thinking maybe 6 months after the payment schedule was completed (the original timeline) games would be shipping. That was 2 years ago...

Here we are 3 years later...

#168 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

It never even occurred to me that it would take this long. I was thinking maybe 6 months after the payment schedule was completed (the original timeline) games would be shipping. That was 2 years ago...
Here we are 3 years later...

So now that it's 3 years later - does anyone know who's animating for the LCD, programming, doing the music/sound?

#169 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

So now that it's 3 years later - does anyone know who's animating for the LCD, programming, doing the music/sound?

For RAZA yes

#170 9 years ago

John?

#171 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Or if playfield/cab art is final.
Or when the proto(s) will be finished.
Or when production will begin.
Or when games will be shipped.

I just want a date, no ones looking to hold Johns feet to the fire but when a date comes and goes and two years go by it gets a little worrying, discouraging and frankly I'm losing interest. I don't get the impression the project is a priority anymore.

#172 9 years ago

I can't believe it's been 3 years either, and seems there's still a LOT to do. NDA or not I can't say I'm happy about that. I'm still in and I have faith that the game will be astounding but from what I'm seeing I predict another year before anyone sees any games, maybe more, so I wish John would get moving. Problem is, you don't want to rush him and have the game come out rushed, but he seems in no rush at all, keeps designing new playfield trinkets and art, thought that would have all been done by now. John's young and healthy now so I'll chance it that he'll be around to finish, but if he was Gene's age I wouldn't be too happy about sending him all that money. I might be in for MG & RAZA but if he wants money up front for all his games I might have to rethink.....

#173 9 years ago

I'm in on RAZA and will stay in for the duration, but I'm not doing this again.

It's interesting to see the revisions, a process most other companies don't do at all (once and it's "good enough"), and how much the work changes, but I still think we the buyers would have been happy and content with that original backglass with ben heck on it, and not have considered for a second what might have been if he created a dozen more versions.

#174 9 years ago

It took Michelangelo over 4 years to paint the Sistine Chapel so we are not past that milestone yet.

#175 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'm in on RAZA and will stay in for the duration, but I'm not doing this again.
It's interesting to see the revisions, a process most other companies don't do at all (once and it's "good enough"), and how much the work changes, but I still think we the buyers would have been happy and content with that original backglass with ben heck on it, and not have considered for a second what might have been if he created a dozen more versions.

Gotta disagree with you on the B.H statement. I never liked BH's name on it and it made it easier for me to stay in when that was announced. I have NO problem with BH, seems like a nice guy, just didn't want to own such an expensive game with a likeness that no one else would know about unless they read pinside, I can't imagine having to explain to everyone who came to look at it who BH was, maybe make a little placard like Tim Arnold does........

#176 9 years ago

I'm not saying I don't like the new art better, but the game was sold as BHZA, we saw the art, if we had the game a year ago instead of waiting all this time would we have been unhappy?

#177 9 years ago

I think the idea here is that better is the enemy of good. John always sees something better. When he was with Williams he did not have this luxury.

I think for this money I'd rather have a better game rather than a quick game.

There is a saying you can have something done quick, cheap, and good pick two.

#178 9 years ago

An artist unchecked! It has been said many times . That talent needs to be under thumb . Otherwise it can always be better , different or changed and just won't get done.
Great minds and artist need taskmasters for budgets and timeline restraints In order to crank out results.

#179 9 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I can't believe it's been 3 years either, and seems there's still a LOT to do. NDA or not I can't say I'm happy about that. I'm still in and I have faith that the game will be astounding but from what I'm seeing I predict another year before anyone sees any games, maybe more, so I wish John would get moving. Problem is, you don't want to rush him and have the game come out rushed, but he seems in no rush at all, keeps designing new playfield trinkets and art, thought that would have all been done by now. John's young and healthy now so I'll chance it that he'll be around to finish, but if he was Gene's age I wouldn't be too happy about sending him all that money. I might be in for MG & RAZA but if he wants money up front for all his games I might have to rethink.....

Your ok with magic girl getting made in quantity more then 21? That's the new rumor..

#180 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

It took Michelangelo over 4 years to paint the Sistine Chapel so we are not past that milestone yet.

Between the ceiling and the last judgement it took him 10.

#181 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Between the ceiling and the last judgement it took him 10.

So we should give Jpop some slack.

#182 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Your ok with magic girl getting made in quantity more then 21? That's the new rumor..

all for it as long as the price goes down and I get my machine faster.

#183 9 years ago

It pains me to say that I've recently backed out of my commitment to RAZA due to personal reasons. Still looking forward to seeing what comes of this though.

#184 9 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

all for it as long as the price goes down and I get my machine faster.

Would think if they are making more of them it's cause they need to offset the original build cost for over runs and unforeseen cost... I doubt the 21 will be cheaper only what ever they make after being a cheaper model/version of it. Just a guess on my part as its only rumors

#185 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I remember when the first 13 spots became available and I had a mad moment where I thought about pre-ordering.

Now it's 21 and talk of more games. I wouldn't be that happy if one of the original 13.

#186 9 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I remember when the first 13 spots became available and I had a mad moment where I thought about pre-ordering.
Now it's 21 and talk of more games. I wouldn't be that happy if one of the original 13.

I do agree that the more games that are built the less valuable that game would be but, the more games there are produced, the more likely there will be a supply of replacement parts, community support, ect,. There is a little trade off at least.

I think these guys get themselves into some trouble when they say they are going to build a small qty of games. Especially on something that is going to entail as much development time that JPOPs games do. He loses out on the benefit of economies of scale and could have made and sold many more off the initial time expense of its design, thus incrementally lessening that cost of games sold.

#187 9 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

How the fuck do you order a game from him. I was interested in AIW and I emailed him numerous times and got no answer. I called every # I could find and got no answer. I finally decided that I didn't want to throw my money on a 3rd game of his when I the first one isn't out and I have seen no progress on it and the guy won't even return a phone call or a email. I may later say " I wish I had put my money down" but I could just as well be saying " boy Im glad I kept my money" . I put the cash on The Hobbit instead.

#188 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

How the fuck do you order a game from him. I was interested in AIW and I emailed him numerous times and got no answer. I called every # I could find and got no answer. I finally decided that I didn't want to throw my money on a 3rd game of his when I the first one isn't out and I have seen no progress on it and the guy won't even return a phone call or a email. I may later say " I wish I had put my money down" but I could just as well be saying " boy Im glad I kept my money" . I put the cash on The Hobbit instead.

JPop sent me a letter about RAZA. I emailed him 3 times and called him twice. Never received any response.

Great artist - for sure
Great businessman - not at all

Personally I think he may have chewed off more than he really is capable of doing.

Would love to see these games made one day.

#189 9 years ago

Does anyone know what he is going to do for support once the machines are delivered? The lack of communication leads to concerns about support in the future.

#190 9 years ago

I would suggest that if you don't want to or can't work on machines yourself to bail now and don't look back.

#191 9 years ago

Balls

#192 9 years ago

Vaporware?

3 weeks later
#194 9 years ago

Unfortunately I haven't found any further pictures of Magic Girl.

I'm really wondering how many are being made (...if any).
There are rumors that it's going to be more than 21 games.

#195 9 years ago
Quoted from cyber:

Unfortunately I haven't found any further pictures of Magic Girl.
I'm really wondering how many are being made (...if any).
There are rumors that it's going to be more than 21 games.

Heard there will be a scaled down version of magic girl to offset cost over runs.

#196 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Heard there will be a scaled down version of magic girl to offset cost over runs.

Really? I thought JPOP said there will be no compromise.
Hmm... sounds interesting.
Kinda like that... ...but probably too expensive for me anyway. I like the art package as of what I've seen so far. Good looking Magic Girl, fantastic colors with Retro Atomic Zombieland Adventure.

#197 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I never heard anything like that, If he is I would assume he would tell the MG owners, I don't think he would do that, nor do I think he will make more than what he said, it's also in writing if that means anything. I just wish he would finalize the design and start building machines.

#198 9 years ago

Is there anyone here on the RAZA waiting list?

#199 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I would suggest that if you don't want to or can't work on machines yourself to bail now and don't look back.

I don't think the concern is so much working on the game but having parts available for when things fail, and they do fail, in the future. Imagine the issues WOZ had on a small run like RAZA or Magic Girl, the cost to rerun all those boards one, two, three times? I don't see how Jpop is going to support his games like that.

#200 9 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Ih he

I never heard anything like that, If he is I would assume he would tell the MG owners, I don't think he would do that, nor do I think he will make more than what he said, it's also in writing if that means anything. I just wish he would finalize the design and start building machines.

From the rumors I heard, he wanted to increase the numbers to 40 magic girls, then the latest one I heard at Allentown was keeping magic girl at 21-22 games and doing a strip down version run. Should be a beautiful game when done. Regardless of future support, the amount of time and quality he's doing should hold up well. U won't have rgb issues like woz, he's using regular 555 and 44 led bulbs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.