(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,471 posts
  • 928 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

streamberry (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,471 posts in this topic. You are on page 332 of 490.
#16551 8 years ago

11) don't pay any bills for labor and products but pay yourself 90k a year, to hell with those people and their families.

12) lie, lie, lie some more.

13) make yourself look slovenly and unkempt to portray yourself to look like a confused clown, as opposed to the calculating criminal you really are

#16552 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

All these numbers ... all you need is one:
1) Be crazy

Quoted from Pimp77:

1) Be a criminal
I corrected that for you

Why not have Both! <Party>

I don't think John had any purposeful criminal intent - I think he's just crazy/naive.

#16553 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I don't think John had any purposeful criminal intent - I think he's just crazy/naive.

Really??

Edit: maybe not at first, but he is clearly there now.

#16554 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Why not have Both! <Party>

he was taking fresh money up to 2 weeks before the shit hit the fan,knowing full well nothing would ever be produced. i call that criminal intent. you have fallen for the " i'm a hopeless clown" facade he wants to purport to the community.

#16555 8 years ago

After reading that site blog and seeing the updates I'm dumbstruck at my own frustration, and I'm not even a buyer.

If I were a millipede, I would not have enough middle fingers for JPOP at this point. This must be a profane insult to the buyers who have tried for years to get info or even refunds. I can't imagine what kind of reptile would try to disservice the numerous efforts made to help and to get clear communications with this new posture of pseudo updates.

In my opinion, a responsible human being would be ashamed and conciliatory to everyone involved, including the community at large.

Sorry but I had really hoped this would just die a sad death, but somehow it actually gets worse.

This, in my opinion, only points to him ensuring anyone who has a claim, won't have any grounds, and this will dissolve into a failed business due to some 'fact' not yet shared, but no fault of his own. This seems to be the text book actions/definition of a sociopath.
--" a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience."

I don't really get upset by anything, but this is just gross.... unbelievable!

#16556 8 years ago

Quoting John Popaduik from 2-page update from Jan 2014:

Quoted from Concretehardt:

Well I have chosen not to do the JJP thing of giving dates to appease the group.

At WMS we were spoiled

Many vendors do Stern work and drop us once they realize what we are doing

Also a few owners I believe "leak" whatever appears here to the other main companies

And also I choose not to give "long winded" dissertations on why things are not going at Stern speed or something else. We are not Stern.

Basically we are making very amazing custom pinball (from the ground up). and building an amazing small custom pinball company, without the multi-millions the other big-boys have. This is extremely difficult to do. Also l have to make these pinballs better than anything l have made before and better than all the "other" boutique shops now or other makers. This is easier to do. So I am watching how they progress as far as cost, play, quality, engineering, cables, innovation, etc.</b>

For example if you want a “Predator” you may get a game all wired in red wire. a spaghetti mess under the playfireld as they showed at expo. I heard it was a final proto. You will not get this from my group and that is “not” a proto. A cable is either a “rats” or "hookup" or an engineered one.

As far as brand value (we are building a brand), which takes time. you can spend ( €6.7k) 8k usd on the new Heighway Pinball motorcycle game in the UK. Andrew has done an amazing job, but for me and the value here, my games must have (and do) better artwork, cool theme, more features and super cool cabinet look to attract and keep customers. it must be awesome. I am sure Andrew works as hard as l do, but ultimately people will judge the games after 5 minutes of looking. Actually RAZA looks great, i am "very proud" of the overall pinball work. Stunning and creative. it has been much easier than MG in many regards to get the design to lock in.

But as I said from the start. this is a long slow process and not for all people. everything has to work, be tested and look beautiful and play great. Woz owners now have all sorts of issues with untested parts, hardware, lights, even though their group made a great effort Stern has 30 engineers and still sends out unfinished games with all sorts of issues, as they are cashing in now. I own a TF home PIN pinball from them and can not get parts (after 1 year) to fix the game as it was not designed correctly from day 1. it's lunacy but reality.

l do not want issues like this at all in my games other than stuff breaking from pinball bashing or other items we never saw. So l go slower. Price, quality, speed...pick 2. Things much be tested for months and months like our hardware and software.

But ultimately, I can not do this without all the great owners behind my work and I could not make these types of games at Stem or JJP, not that they would hire me anyway. We have some great patents in also, to protect our design and lcd pinball look.

An idea is a powerful thing. JPop heard about the formation of JJP and the WoZ business venture in 2011 and probably thought, "why not me?". It's no coincidence that he decided to be his own pinball manufacturer and started taking deposits for Magic Girl that very summer.

And as evidenced in this update, he clearly thought a lot about his place in the community of businesses and charlatans taking pre-order money to build people pinball machines. We have some real characters among the public figures of pinball - Gary, Jack, Rick, big personalities. But you'd never see them make an update like this. Every paragraph might as well be, "That's what you want?! I can make a better playfield than anybody!"

When rumors of Stern KISS reached a certain point, he made his own un-solicited version. Think about that for a second, he either thought he could steal KISS from stern, and KISS merchandising would be his angel, or he knew how unlikely that was and felt it necessary to one-up Stern anyway.

This is not a healthy mind. I expect this to go on for years.

#16557 8 years ago
Quoted from vex:

he was taking fresh money up to 2 weeks before the shit hit the fan,knowing full well nothing would ever be produced. i call that criminal intent. you have fallen for the " i'm a hopeless clown" facade he wants to purport to the community.

Quoted from Pimp77:

Really??
Edit: maybe not at first, but he is clearly there now.

You guys think he's evil, I think he's just "artsy" and certifiably nuts. Either could be true.

#16558 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

John's like a character in a Twilight Zone or Amazing Stories episode. How bizarre. Continuing on like everything is fine.

To be fair, he is looking at the world through his *literally* rose colored glasses. In his world, all the unicorns and fairies are named John.

#16560 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

You guys think he's evil, I think he's just "artsy" and certifiably nuts. Either could be true.

As mayor quimby would say, it can be two things.

#16561 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

This guy knows what he is talking about..... I think his artsy is in the form of a bad acid trip he hasn't come down from yet. Cook County jail could use a new face to lead their arts and crafts program.... the pay is different, but the work is pretty much the same.

#16562 8 years ago

He actually put a video of a flat cymbal monkey going back and forth and thinks this is a great new creative thing to show off?

Whoever though this would be a 3D mod

http://www.amazon.com/R-E-G-Charley-Chimp-Cymbal-Playing-Monkey/dp/B000AUVE5U/ref=sr_1_1

#16563 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I dont know if evil is the right word, but he is knowingly being fraudulent at best right now. He knows the show is over and he can't possibly live up to the contracts, but he arrogantly continues to spend his customers money. He is crazy, we agree on that. You don't think he realizes the jig is up yet continues to play with other people's money? Is he still drawing a $90k /year salary? Really, is he?????

#16564 8 years ago

I still can't figure why Jack is being gracious and making excuses for John and blaming the people who actually lost money for John's failure, unless it's laying the foundation of JJP joining him in the 'failed start-up' category.

#16565 8 years ago

For all we know he still has people paying into AIW that are completely in the dark about the status of things.

Imagine that.

No doubt whomever is advising him told him to get back in there and keep playing arts and crafts.

#16566 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Is John deliberating stuffing this game with things people hate?

Wait, weren't you on the playfield at some point? j/k

Yes, the "cymbal monkey" is the mascot for toddlers who are new to pinball who just smack both flippers at the same time.

#16567 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

He is crazy, we agree on that. You don't think he realizes the jig is up yet continues to play with other people's money?

I really think he doesn't understand that the jig is up. I think he still believes that some rich guy is going to throw money at him. He still thinks this will all work out somehow -- THAT kind of crazy. Delusional. Not accepting reality.

#16568 8 years ago

tumblr_nq70ksWMGH1uslnmno1_400.giftumblr_nq70ksWMGH1uslnmno1_400.gif

#16569 8 years ago

Here's what I'm talking about -- this was shared on the FB Zidware group on June 11th:

-- Quoted Part ---

Had an interesting (bad) talk with Jpop today.

First (amongst many) problems, he still thinks that Zidware will continue further. I asked him how? he replied we just need (another) millionaire invest to infuse cash in. I told him you had that chance with Bill and blew it. He replied well people buy 5 million dollar paintings every day, it's a small amount to those people. Swear to god that was his reply word for word.

-- End Quoted Part --

#16570 8 years ago

Those January 2014 updates are hilarious, in a sad way.

If you have to keep telling everyone how amazing your company is, then it's not amazing. Actions speak louder than words.

I can understand him bagging on Predator because that thing was truly a PoS, but Heighway? John sounds like a politician - don't say why you're good, just say why the competitor is bad.

What's really grating about his comments on other boutiques is HE BROUGHT NOTHING TO EXPO! Hell even Kruger Family Pinball or whatever that was is better than Zidware because it was a real game that could be played.

Maybe John could get a new job building housing. He could build the roof first, basement last, and figure out how to wire it after all the drywall is installed.

#16571 8 years ago

It's so bad people are calling him Johnron Pappadoff.

#16572 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Maybe John is updating his blog for his customers that don't follow Pinside and who have no clue what is really happening.
Bizarre.

OK but even those people got the email that said he couldn't continue / pintasia was taking over. Who would of read that and still think no problem?

Side question: was the pintasia giving up ever sent to everybody or could someone still be under an illusion the ship is righting?

#16573 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Maybe John could get a new job building housing. He could build the roof first, basement last, and figure out how to wire it after all the drywall is installed.

I hope the glass fits in the windows!!!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#16574 8 years ago

It will fit *PERFECTLY*

#16575 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I think he still believes that some rich guy is going to throw money at him

I think maybe John needs to read this book
johnson_cheese[1].jpgjohnson_cheese[1].jpg

And then realize his cheese didn't move, he ate all the cheese that will ever be available to him. Bill IS a millionaire, with VESTED money. What makes John think some stranger is going to throw money into this project?

This will be John by winter:

#16576 8 years ago

This whole "millionaire" delusion blows my mind. Most millionaires don't invest in losing brands. There's nothing to invest in, anyways. The art is ZombieYeti's and the playfield layouts didn't flip well according to the prototype that was brought to that show.

If you are a millionaire, and want a pinball machine built, give Gary Stern or Jersey Jack a call and say "hey, would you build theme xyz for $1 million investment?" You would only invest with Jpop if you don't want to ever see your money or game again. He's proven he can't produce a game in quantity. Why would anyone double-down on that? There's no profitable way to do it. If you wanted to just 'bail out' the buyers, you could retrieve JPOP's list and just send them cash. Better use of the money than trusting someone who has proven they cannot perform.

#16577 8 years ago

so it's 5000 posts since i looked in here last. What's the progress report? More pics of gameplay? Rules layout yet? No? See you in 5000 more posts

#16578 8 years ago

Ok.....storms here tonight so pins unplugged...I'll bite.....whatever happened to the machine that was shown at NW awhile back? Wasn't that going back to him?....worth anything?

#16579 8 years ago

Train wreck aside, the artwork on the PF's do look stunning. Very sad how this all turned out.

#16580 8 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Ok.....storms here tonight so pins unplugged...I'll bite.....whatever happened to the machine that was shown at NW awhile back? Wasn't that going back to him?....worth anything?

here it is.jpghere it is.jpg

#16581 8 years ago

Maybe it isn't worth the hassle, but I think if I hadn't been paid for artwork he's still using I'd show up and confiscate anything with my designs on it.

#16582 8 years ago

It looks like John is trying to use these playfields as a "Resume" to show potential employers. Maybe he'd heard Stern was kicking the tires on Kiss and decided to make a mock up to show off his "Skills" in hopes of getting a job offer.
I hope anyone in a position to hire this clown knows that any project with Jpop's name on it will not be tolerated by the pin community until he does right by the people he's screwed over.

#16583 8 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

here it is.jpg

Is that really it?....Or humor ( I can't really see it)?

#16584 8 years ago

Lol it's a pinbot

#16585 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Here's what I'm talking about -- this was shared on the FB Zidware group on June 11th:
-- Quoted Part ---
Had an interesting (bad) talk with Jpop today.
First (amongst many) problems, he still thinks that Zidware will continue further. I asked him how? he replied we just need (another) Millionaire invest to infuse cash in. I told him you had that chance with Bill and blew it. He replied well people buy 5 million dollar paintings every day, it's a small amount to those people. Swear to god that was his reply word for word.
-- End Quoted Part --

If he truly believes what he wrote here, then his actions make perfect sense. It isn't logical, but in his mind, makes sense and that is why he continues with AIW. He won't stop until someone forces him to stop.

#16586 8 years ago

Popapuke = Criminal !

#16588 8 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

If you are a Millionaire, and want a pinball machine built, give Gary Stern or Jersey Jack a call and say "hey, would you build theme xyz for $1 million investment?"

Worked for Ford (Mustang) and WWE.

Gary is happy to take your money if you want something made.

As he did for Aaron Spelling in the 80s.

rd.

#16589 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Bill IS a Millionaire, with VESTED money. What makes John think some stranger is going to throw money into this project?

Bill was the ideal candidate to save this, and couldn't. The game was a disaster that needed too much work that John had lied to everyone about.

We've said it already, but amongst the zidware customer list WERE a bunch of people with the resources and expertise to help John. Not only that, but with the personal interest to "help pinball". John burned everyone.

Now he's literally waiting for someone to cut him a big check, with no strings attached and no due diligence. Just give him money and go away, like all the zidware customers did. He was able to do that once, trading his reputation of 30 years to do so.

Now he has nothing.

#16590 8 years ago

I am very skeptical of Pintasia and $100K invested, that seems like complete BS to me, how is that even possible and why would someone drop $100K on Jpop.

#16591 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I am very skeptical of Pintasia and $100K invested, that seems like complete BS to me, how is that even possible and why would someone drop $100K on Jpop.

It doesn't even matter, does it? Who cares what the number was? They looked at it, Bill worked the phones for 3 weeks trying to make something happen, they managed to pull a machine away from John and show it to the world. Then concluded there was no path forward. The story ends there. I don't see the point of forensic accounting that number.

I will say that if the machine was anywhere near "95%" done, and only needed ramps, as John led everyone to believe, and rocked everyone's socks at the NW show, there might have been a chance to save it through Pintasia. So John screwed them, twice. Once as an original pre-owner who sent money, and again with the wasted time, money and effort trying to save something was unsavable.

#16592 8 years ago

Am I imagining it or does it say 'Xenon something Tube Shot' on the left?

#16593 8 years ago
Quoted from blue95:

Am I imagining it or does it say 'Xenon something Tube Shot' on the left?

Here's John's explanation:

Well good news, Greg Kmiec (designer of the xenon) popped in last night and gave a thumbs up to our new xenon gas tube shot. He spent some time with me on the pointers of how the original was created and some of the pinball “psychology” behind the layout, height and tube angle. He even has a box of the original plastic tubes for me to develop with.

He did mention (as nothing has changed) he had to keep the tube part “invisible” on his drawing to other designers, and worked a memorial day weekend to have it ready to present on the monday. His drawing was left blank and did not show the tube ramps in at all.

All this being super kind as Greg just lost his dad before Pinball Expo but still managed to show up and even come over to get me on track. We presented this Xenon to Greg as a Lifetime Mentor Gift, as I have been under his guidance since starting at Bally in the 80s. Greg has a really keen insight and philosophy into pinball after defining the look of branded games in the 1970s with Power Play, Wizard!, Harlem GTs, Xenon and Capt. Fantastic.

Amazing he does not have this game at home, but will soon. A great friend. Jpop

A nice story but can't help but be cynical that it was our money that bought that Xenon for him.

#16594 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It doesn't even matter, does it? Who cares what the number was? They looked at it, Bill worked the phones for 3 weeks trying to make something happen, they managed to pull a machine away from John and show it to the world. Then concluded there was no path forward. The story ends there. I don't see the point of forensic accounting that number.
I will say that if the machine was anywhere near "95%" done, and only needed ramps, as John led everyone to believe, and rocked everyone's socks at the NW show, there might have been a chance to save it through Pintasia. So John screwed them, twice. Once as an original pre-owner who sent money, and again with the wasted time, money and effort trying to save something was unsavable.

Just for the sake of honesty, it's not believable that someone in their right mind would spend $100k of real money on putting a few ramps on the pin and shipping it to the show, I'm thinking $10k ( maybe) but $100k is ridiculous.

It makes no sense to me, but $100K would probably have put Wooly into production as that game *is* 95% done. It seems John is playing fast and loose with the term 95% done.

#16595 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Hell even Kruger Family Pinball or whatever that was is better than Zidware because it was a real game that could be played.

And actually has a deep rule set and has great flow and rewarding shots, what it does not have is Art, so it has everything that Jpops games don't (and vice versa). BTW, the name is Kugler, but, close enough.

Quoted from Richthofen:

If you are a Millionaire, and want a pinball machine built, give Gary Stern or Jersey Jack a call and say "hey, would you build theme xyz for $1 million investment?"

I'll do it for a hell of a lot less than $1,000,000 and in a fraction of the time Jpop has spent noodling in his workshop. So if anyone is interested, just PM me

#16596 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

benheck said:
Hell even Kruger Family Pinball or whatever that was is better than Zidware because it was a real game that could be played.

And actually has a deep rule set and has great flow and rewarding shots, what it does not have is Art, so it has everything that Jpops games don't (and vice versa). BTW, the name is Kugler, but, close enough.

Kruger Family might be an interesting theme ... Freddy Kruger and his family (grandma, kids, etc.)

#16597 8 years ago

I'd extend that offer as well. If anyone has $250k and wants the pin of their dreams, PM me. I'll take a year sabbatical from work and do it for you.

#16598 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I think he factored in the value of his and his "teams" time.

If not, I think he found the most expensive van rental in the history of the world

#16599 8 years ago

Bill flew to Chicago to meet with John. He paid is rent. Whatever the number, he threw good money after bad.

#16600 8 years ago

And remember, the landlord can serve an eviction notice, but that takes months to execute. Popaduik can huddle in his rabbit hole playing flighty artist in the meantime.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
There are 24,471 posts in this topic. You are on page 332 of 490.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/332 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.