(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,545 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 491.
#1601 9 years ago

I was asking John for a refund on RAZA not so much out of inpatients but more because if apathy due to lack of progress at this point, maybe if the reveal is nice I would be more on board.

John never responded to my asking for a refund but he did invite me to visit him, however he never mentioned my query for a refund. These were in email not on the phone. But the disconnect is weird like I'm asking one thing and he's asking a completely opposite thing.

I almost feel like visiting him but almost I'm scared to as if I may not like what I'll see.

Anyone visited him? Is it worth the trip?

#1602 9 years ago

Every visit I've ever read has been glowing, the willy wonka tour, but I'm at the point where I could see incredible artistry but if there is no business aspect to show me, no deadlines, no answers, we're all essentially artist patrons.

I posted this on his blog:
----
When can I, the customer, expect to see my game?
----

this part , "the customer", seems lost.

#1603 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I was asking John for a refund on RAZA not so much out of inpatients but more because if apathy due to lack of progress at this point, maybe if the reveal is nice I would be more on board.
John never responded to my asking for a refund but he did invite me to visit him, however he never mentioned my query for a refund. These were in email not on the phone. But the disconnect is weird like I'm asking one thing and he's asking a completely opposite thing.
I almost feel like visiting him but almost I'm scared to as if I may not like what I'll see.
Anyone visited him? Is it worth the trip?

A friend of mine is in on RAZA and MG, he and his buddy visited JPOPS lair... All I can say is that the friend who was with him after seeing RAZA & MG got his checkbook out and tried to get in on both games.

#1604 9 years ago

I agree with Frolic. Sounds like a hefty dose of the magic Kool Aid, I'm scared to go, sounds like possibly the same stuff Bill Cosby was using. Visits seem to be leaving others dazed seeing some cool stuff planned for the games, to the point where you forget about the uncertain reality and the unanswered questions.

#1605 9 years ago

It's also possibly why we're in the situation we're in. All the visits to the shop drink the kool-aid and tell John to take as long as he needs, make as many revisions as he needs. He's probably been hearing that a long time.

#1606 9 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

Has anyone talked to john recently? I called once and he promptly returned my call. I haven't called back because I don't think our conversation would be positive at this point.

I recently spoke with him. He was very friendly, I told him flat out I need out of the project and how can I get a refund and he said no problem he would send a letter of some sort to start the process... That was earlier this week. I just sent him an email reminder to send the letter.

#1607 9 years ago
Quoted from Redeyes:

he would send a letter of some sort to start the process

I think others have chimed in already of this multi-step process, with no refund till someone takes your place.

All we can hope is that the MG and RAZA reveals will be public and generate some sort of buzz so people waiting for refunds can get out.

#1608 9 years ago

how does a letter work for a refund?

#1609 9 years ago

Sounds like the letter explains to you how jammed up you are. Has anyone else received one of these letters?

#1610 9 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

Sounds like the letter explains to you how jammed up you are. Has anyone else received one of these letters?

oh my goodness...

#1611 9 years ago

I received a letter from John concerning AIW this week. It included an invoice and some verbiage that was as confusing as ever concerning the next payment. I can't tell if he is trying to collect $0, $2000 or the remainder of the balance. For the record, I am interpreting it as $0. The attached letter also gives an address for a "secret" web page that is supposed to contain more info about the game. The website address just leads to a page with a line drawing of Alice and the words "Concept Preview" with nothing more. John updated the AIW dev blog three days ago with a long screed about the backglass design process and said that he would reveal the artwork the next day. Since then, nothing has been posted.

Also, for the record, I have never been asked to sign any kind of NDR for AIW.

#1612 9 years ago

I had heard of people sending in money for AIW, but I didn't realize that it was far enough along to have a development blog. I asked John three times to send me the AIW package so I could review it, but I never received it.

#1613 9 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

I had heard of people sending in money for AIW, but I didn't realize that it was far enough along to have a development blog. I asked John three times to send me the AIW package so I could review it, but I never received it.

If John ever licenses a theme for a game, it should be "The Neverending Story".

#1614 9 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

I am seriously just blown away. Well, my hopes and wishes for everyone.

#1615 9 years ago

I also sent him my mailing address for the AIW info package and haven't received anything yet. Been about 3 weeks. He is probably focused on his upcoming reveals though, I don't think marketing AIW is high priority right now (and it shouldn't be).

#1616 9 years ago

P.S. there is supposed to be a AIW reveal in January so he will probably wait until after that to send out anything.

#1617 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LOL. You made me spit soup on my desk!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#1618 9 years ago

The only thing I have received from Zidware is a "you're on the MG waiting list" letter.

Unfortunately my bank can't cash that.

#1619 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Noone in this forum has ever pissed me off but DO you ever shut your *mouth* dude? .. look back through this topic your posts are worse than Kanda guy.. for reals..

Post edited by moderator: Come on man, keep it classy. Don't result to offensive phrases like that.

#1620 9 years ago
Quoted from Redeyes:

Noone in this forum has ever pissed me off but DO you ever shut your *mouth* dude?

Not sure what you're talking about...I have not taught your mom how to post on Pinside .

#1621 9 years ago

Who is Noone?

#1622 9 years ago

Kiss pinball, Raza, AIW, MG, Makerbot - are there any other Zidware titles in progress with reveal dates over the next couple of months that I haven't included?

#1623 9 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

I received a letter from John concerning AIW this week. It included an invoice and some verbiage that was as confusing as ever concerning the next payment. I can't tell if he is trying to collect $0, $2000 or the remainder of the balance. For the record, I am interpreting it as $0. The attached letter also gives an address for a "secret" web page that is supposed to contain more info about the game. The website address just leads to a page with a line drawing of Alice and the words "Concept Preview" with nothing more. John updated the AIW dev blog three days ago with a long screed about the backglass design process and said that he would reveal the artwork the next day. Since then, nothing has been posted.
Also, for the record, I have never been asked to sign any kind of NDR for AIW.

I also received the AIW letter this week , two separate mailings actually 1 day apart from each other and it was confusing to me as well in the first one I am told that I am AIW #71 and in the second one it tells me that my serial# is #51 ?? the second one also asked for another installment of $1000.00 & I don't feel comfortable sending it or any other $ until I see what happens with these two upcoming reveals I am still trying to be positive and keep the faith but IDK , I do plan to make a visit to his shop (per his invite) sometime early in the new year "2015" hopefully I will see something(s) encouraging & for the record I have never been asked to sign a NDA either

#1624 9 years ago

Who's got the cojones on AIW here at this point and give him additional funds? Iceman?? your sobering thread was a few hours ago..

#1625 9 years ago

A thousand here, a thousand there. Pretty soon you are talking about some real money. Just keep on betting on the come and soon you will be rewarded.

The Magic 8-Ball says, "I have my doubts."

But seriously, folks, how can anyone be anything but seething if you are $27k deep on the first 2 projects and he's out running around bragging up designs and chasing the benjamins on AIW? The stall tactics should be pretty obvious in less than 45 days. If MG and RAZA don't have major reveals by the end of January, you guys had better get your demand letters in before the ponzi collapses.

#1626 9 years ago

Something Tells Me I'm In To Something Good ...
http://peternoone.com/

#1627 9 years ago

I am waiting on the Tesla pin (game 4 ) to be announced so I can send in my down payment.

#1628 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Who's got the cojones on AIW here at this point and give him additional funds? Iceman?? your sobering thread was a few hours ago..

As I sit here drinking a beer(s) before the show, yes, I already put a deposit down on AIW months ago!

And it bought me a ticket to MG, I did say Jpop's were the only pre orders I have left. Well there is Alien too

Sack is right, I'd venture to say the whole company is riding on these reveals. Gut says John comes through. Because I'm a positive thinker!

#1629 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

As I sit here drinking a beer(s) before the show, yes, I already put a deposit down on AIW months ago!
And it bought me a ticket to MG, I did say Jpop's were the only pre orders I have left. Well there is Alien too
Sack is right, I'd venture to say the whole company is riding on these reveals. Gut says John comes through. Because I'm a positive thinker!

but would you write JPOP a check for $1k more for AIW right now like some people are claiming they are getting letters for? (or is this the first ask of money for AIW?)

#1630 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

but would you write JPOP a check for $1k more for AIW right now like some people are claiming they are getting letters for? (or is this the first ask of money for AIW?)

That's a negative. I put $1500 in several months ago and won't put another dime into AIW for many many months. Need to see MG going out the door, muscle behind him and Raza guys not feeling like bag holders

#1631 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Gut says John comes through. Because I'm a positive thinker!

I have been trying to keep that same attitude. Lately it has been tougher to do, almost entirely due to JPops unconscionable poor communication. On his blog, it's essentially crickets in response to repeated requests for updates on progress, status reports, potential timelines, or essentially anything else. That is no way to instill confidence in your buyers and potential future business. Hell JPop, at least get online and bullshit something rather than complete silence.

I hope that he's going to make a great presentation soon. I'm growing tired of seeing art drawings that have been presented over and over for a couple years now. I need to see a pinball machine. A pinball machine that has a chance of being in my game room. I'm hopeful that I will eventually see RAZA completed, but I'm not planning on investing in another Zidware project at this point.

#1632 9 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

almost entirely due to JPops unconscionable poor communication. On his blog, it's essentially crickets in response to repeated requests for updates on progress, status reports, potential timelines, or essentially anything else.

All I can deduce from his unwillingness to answer these simple questions is the answers are not good and he doesn't want to say them.

We're probably onto something when we look at the Spooky build rate of 2/week as a benchmark. We're probably onto something when we see that the RAZA schedule is somewhere around the Q4 2012 timeline with a year+ left... BEFORE they start getting built.

I think the MG buyers are in a better place. They might see their game in 2015 with only the 20 to be built (not included the additional rumoured sales, but no one has money into those yet so no one is technically waiting for them).

I'm ready to throw something at my monitor every time a new art revision is posted and our questions ignored.

#1633 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

a new art revision

as I have always said. Artist unchecked. Revision are doom. Someone step on his neck and make thing move forward as is. Not improved, changed or modified. At some point you need to stop and make a call.

#1634 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

as I have always said. Artist unchecked. Revision are doom. Someone step on his neck and make thing move forward as is. Not improved, changed or modified. At some point you need to stop and make a call.

Apparently the game has 3,000 artist hours on it.

This pic was the game I originally pre-ordered though.

bhza-title.jpgbhza-title.jpg

The quality of the new art is great, but at what cost? in both money and time? 2016/2017 for my game to arrive?

#1635 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'm ready to throw something at my monitor every time a new art revision is posted and our questions ignored.

Is it taken with a fish eye lens?

#1636 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Apparently the game has 3,000 artist hours on it.
This pic was the game I originally pre-ordered though.

The quality of the new art is great, but at what cost? in both money and time? 2016/2017 for my game to arrive?

bhza-title.jpg 50 KB

Someone posted in a previous thread the artists name, I don't remember but he was from deviant art. Let's say even a modest $50/hr for a contract artist, that's still $150,000 in art for a single game. It's sounding more and more like we are screwed.

#1637 9 years ago

Since when were aliens added into this thing - wtf??? This was supposed to be zombies pin. If John morphed the theme and didn't tell his buyers, while holding their money hostage, he must be crazier than I thought. I was a RAZA buyer for awhile but bailed because it seemed too risky and I didn't have the stomach for it. I would have gotten out due to theme change alone though. Seeing pics of that cabinet at Expo I was totally disappointed. I like alien themes just fine, but RAZA started as a pure zombie theme. Then Stern scooped JPOP by releasing their own zombie pin. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of TWD pin as designed. Were JPOP to do a zombie pin, I'd be interested, but only when its available though.

#1638 9 years ago

I don't think he changed the theme on us. He made it clear it was a camp 50-60s type zombie theme and this video mentions aliens and ray guns.

#1639 9 years ago

Mg unveil only gives hope to the mg buyers... Then buys him time on raza buyers to cool their heals but u shouldn't be IMO. U should continue to push for details.

#1640 9 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

Unfortunately my bank can't cash that.

008SPR_Jackie_Earle_Haley_003.jpg008SPR_Jackie_Earle_Haley_003.jpg

#1641 9 years ago

I wonder how much time and $$ was wasted on the KISS art and mock up.

Really stunning that any time was spent on that fiasco while we wait for our paid games.

#1642 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I wonder how much time and $$ was wasted on the KISS art and mock up.
Really stunning that any time was spent on that fiasco while we wait for our paid games.

Right on, I only hope it was his play money and not a slush fund of all the deposits.

I had been very happy at one time to be on this RAZA list, but as time went by, less so.

I'm trying to figure out how far along this curve we are

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#1643 9 years ago

image-506.jpgimage-506.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#1644 9 years ago

The burn is the lack of communication, and the avoidance of simple questions.

I don't know why every boutique pin manufacturer takes the same page from the same playbook and goes dark with the "well, I can either spend all day answering your questions or I can work on the pin, what do you want?". At least Jack when he was making WOZ was out there showing the work in progress, even if he was missing date after date.

With Hobbit is was always Dec 2014 release and if they don't make it, they're close to it, and everyone has seen the game and it has been playable at a few shows.

#1645 9 years ago

Y'all need to send in those AIW installments so GLM can get paid

#1646 9 years ago

I hate to say it, but I see people at pessimism, and you're going to slide to panic when it's becomes clear that nothing is actually going to be released and the green part of the curve isn't coming. My prediction: there isn't going to be a big "rug reveal" and nothing will be done or playable.

Everything I hear about what's really going on at Zidware just confirms that, but I could be totally wrong. I've heard nothing to make me think so though. I'd really like to see you guys see some hope, but hopefully at least no one is still sending him money.

And please, please don't even ask about AIW. I can't believe we're talking about getting info on that.

#1647 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The burn is the lack of communication, and the avoidance of simple questions.
I don't know why every boutique pin manufacturer takes the same page from the same playbook and goes dark with the "well, I can either spend all day answering your questions or I can work on the pin, what do you want?". At least Jack when he was making WOZ was out there showing the work in progress, even if he was missing date after date.
With Hobbit is was always Dec 2014 release and if they don't make it, they're close to it, and everyone has seen the game and it has been playable at a few shows.

These timelines are very interesting to watch among all the manufacturers (except Stern). When will TBL be released? Everyone seems so positive that they know what they are doing, can do no wrong, and will deliver the pin on time. Why? They haven't manufactured a pin before.

Nordman just quit Heighway Pinball based on losing sleep over people putting down deposits based on him being the designer and being told Alien would be ready by April 2015, a date that he doesn't see as possible.

SkitB is already far behind schedule, and it remains to be seen when Predator will see the light of day.

MMr was supposed to be shipping by the end of the 2nd quarter, so they are already half a year behind.

It's going to be interesting to see how close to their shipping estimates pins like Alien, TBL, MMr, and even Hobbit will come.

#1648 9 years ago

I'm still trying to figure out why Skit-B needed more than half from every owner to get the ball rolling and that was more than 6 months ago. What the heck, AMH didn't need half from every owner and they are actually making the games.

At least I think MMR is just a small deposit, but in all honesty they should refund anyone who asks based on their missed timeline. Imo

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/33 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.