(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 307 of 491.
#15301 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I'm not a lawyer so I'll just stfu.
More should do the same.

I am not a lawyer, but I was the plaintiff in two cases where my attorney managed to successfully pierce the corporate veil of both LLCs. However, I know that there are many attorney's on Pinside much better versed on the subject than I am.

#15302 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

John asked me on more than one occasion how much I had already paid to him for RAZA. If he didn't keep records on how much I paid him, he sure as hell doesn't have records of what he spent the money on.

I asked him numerous times before he eventually sent me a statement, but it was correct... Naturally my own records were scrupulous (heh), but I still wanted his confirmation.

If a corporate legal entity like Zidware fails to keep adequate accounts, then that is, de facto, corporate fraud, and may even draw into question the validity of his corporate structure (i.e. personal assets can now be attacked). An easy win for the plaintiffs Anyone know how much his house is worth?

Edit: I think this is Jflop's house:

http://www.homesnap.com/IL/Bartlett/722-Chestnut-Court

Worth approx $330k. Not massive, but could pay off one-third of his debt, I guess, assuming he has no mortgage. Boy, I wish UK house prices were as low as this!

#15303 8 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Jeez, now its Obama's fault… although that is something I can agree with. He may be the only bigger loser than John Pop-a-dick.

Not that you care but you got your first thumbs up from me ever with that comment.

#15304 8 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

I don't understand this line of thought. When you go to the grocery store, the markup on the product goes toward employee wages, rent on the building, cash registers, an administrative department, devices to order food, doors to the building, and tools to do the job better. Why would building a pinball machine be any different?
Was Jpop supposed to do this all with his bare hands and ingenuity?

The creation of the grocery store and its infrastructure were not funded by the bag of potatoes and box of Cheerios I bought this morning.

#15305 8 years ago
#15306 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

I don't think he's saying you won't win -- he's saying you'll be in line behind the courts, lawyers, and vendors, and that there's zero chance a single penny will be left by the time your turn to get paid comes up. The money is spent.

I'm getting tired of reading this statement over and over again as though it's a known fact.

If everyone believed this way and therefore didn't sue, JPop would literally get off Scott free...with nobody actually knowing how much money he or Zidware had left.

I'm not saying there is definitely money left. I'm just saying that the repeated statement of there being zero money as a fact isn't the case either.

#15308 8 years ago

Do NOT believe anyone that tells you there is no money left. The facts are that there is still a shop and the lights are on. From what I can tell no bankruptcy proceedings at this time.

Plain and simple, there is still currently money and I hope anyone owed a large sum it putting in just a little more to try and recoup some of that money.

Worst case you end up with nothing but atleast humiliate Jpop and create some havoc in his life.

#15309 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

The creation of the grocery store and its infrastructure were not funded by the bag of potatoes and box of Cheerios I bought this morning.

Maybe not their first store, but their 2nd store was.

#15310 8 years ago

This type of dialogue should have occurred prior to people taking out their checkbooks.

#15311 8 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

This type of dialogue should of occurred prior to people taking out their checkbooks.

"have"

#15312 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm getting tired of reading this statement over and over again as though it's a known fact.
If everyone believed this way and therefore didn't sue, JPop would literally get off Scott free...with nobody actually knowing how much money he or Zidware had left.
I'm not saying there is definitely money left. I'm just saying that the repeated statement of there being zero money as a fact isn't the case either.

Yes. Also, all unsecured creditors (vendors, pre-orderers like us) would be in the same boat. Only secured creditors would be higher up the pecking order for payment. The insinuation 'oh don't bother suing, you won't get anything' is just an attempt to put people off from suing. Even Jpop and Pintasia's letters argued this, so it's clearly bollocks that only serves their interests, and certainly not ours!

Don't fall for it. Yes, we may get no money, but no-one knows what assets are available to seize currently. We need court action to determine this, and that's the whole point of the legal action! For $500 it's well worth a punt to get this muppet.

#15313 8 years ago

So in total how many people got screwed on the buyers side?

#15314 8 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

So in total how many people got screwed on the buyers side?

Looks to be somewhere around 200. (~20 MG, 125 RAZA, and who knows how many bit on AIW) ....although some people bought multiple titles. That would bring down the number screwed but the numbers up on those who were screwed.

#15315 8 years ago
Quoted from jetspeedb:

The FTC took action on a kickstarter campaign that failed to deliver or issue refunds this week. Maybe people should file a complaint here ? Dont see how it could hurt. https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

Thanks for the link. I went ahead and filed a complaint tonight, took less than 5 minutes. Based on the news that the FTC actually went after a kick-starter board game that was 1/10th of this amount, maybe enough complaints will get some attention on him too. If you've been victimized here, why not give it a try?

On another note, while I was searching for his address this website came up: www.nanoschool.org
[apparently taken down after posting]

Anyone else know he is currently the Director of the NanoSchool of Chicago? He's apparently also lead developer on a handful of iPad Games that are in the app store? As he's not a programmer, I wonder who actually wrote those? No wonder he was only working 14 hours a day, 7 days a week on pinball...he's got his director duties and iPad apps to fit in in between!

#15316 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Looks to be somewhere around 200. (~20 MG, 125 RAZA, and who knows how many bit on AIW) ....although some people bought multiple titles. That would bring down the number screwed but the numbers up on those who were screwed.

Ok so 200. So if we want to progress the thread in another maybe positive direction. What can the inside community do to help these guys out a little. I would be willing to donate to the cause or put my skills to good use. Anyone have any ideas?

#15317 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

Yes. Also, all unsecured creditors (vendors, pre-orderers like us) would be in the same boat. Only secured creditors would be higher up
Don't fall for it. Yes, we may get no money, but no-one knows what assets are available to seize currently. We need court action to determine this, and that's the whole point of the legal action! For $500 it's well worth a punt to get this muppet.

I agree. There may be no checkbook balance, but there are lots of assets for liquidation. I keep saying there is no cash, but that doesn't value at zero all the parts in boxes, or the partial assemblies, digital files, etc.

If a parts vendor doesn't get paid - lets use GPM for example, if he delivered 100 pixel boards, and only got paid for 10, is he a secured creditor with those hard assets of boards as security interest - or is that a trade receivable unsecured and equal to all other claims?

Who knows how much would be had in cash on a full liquidation auction, but it would be something,to split. I hope this all works out soon for all those that are owed refunds, for invoices or services.

#15318 8 years ago

JPG attachments refuse to come through anymore. Gives me upload id error now and won't process them. Only happened since the new server tweaks...

#15319 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It is a fact while it appears to not be a known fact or I wouldn't have to keep saying it. This isn't speculation on my part. I actually have some data - of which I am sharing in the form of stating that no one will get any money from a lawsuit

#15320 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Do NOT believe anyone that tells you there is no money left. The facts are that there is still a shop and the lights are on.

Shop is rented, not owned. Was way behind and Bill caught it up . Next fact?

#15321 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Did Popadiuk's customers agree to pay for the machinery or software used to create these games? I thought they simply agreed to buy a new pinball machine for $16,000.

Does anyone have a copy of the contract they can post? We're really just guessing at the language. Not that it really matters, we're just armchair quarterbacking here, a real lawyer is on the case.

I think it's wise to sue. I dunno if you'll ever get your $500 back, but if you can afford it just for peace of mind I say do it. And hey, who knows, it might actually go somewhere.

#15322 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I agree. There may be no checkbook balance, but there are lots of assets for liquidation. I keep saying there is no cash, but that doesn't value at zero all the parts in boxes, or the partial assemblies, digital files, etc.

I agree there are assets. There is zero cash. The assets aren't going to be worth enough for preorders to get cash. After seeing what's there, you'd be convinced as well.

#15323 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

How much was this salary? How much of the pre-order money went toward this salary? That's money in the bank, and is proof that he's not broke. Any money that he took for salary needs to be refunded.

You realize salary does not equate to savings. It's money spent on living, mortgage, etc. It is not money in the bank. It's gone. Someone that can't run a business like this doesn't have a large savings account.

#15324 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I agree there are assets. There is zero cash. The assets aren't going to be worth enough for preorders to get cash. After seeing what's there, you'd be convinced as well.

I just assumed he blew a chunk of the cash on machinery. But if that's not the case, and you don't have expensive gear to sell off, how the hell did he burn through it all? Obviously some of it was pure stupidity (buying $7,000 worth of LEDs when you don't even have a single game to show) and lots of it was wasted on custom fabrication, but damn, all of it?

#15325 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I can agree with this.
However, the part about taking money in at the end when he knew that there was sot a chance in hell, that really stinks and to me seems like fraud.

Perhaps you guys can make a case for it. After talking to him recently and the perception that he can still come out of this and move forward, I am convinced that it wasn't ill intent but dumb business.

#15326 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I just assumed he blew a chunk of the cash on machinery. But if that's not the case, and you don't have expensive gear to sell off, how the hell did he burn through it all? Obviously some of it was pure stupidity (buying $7,000 worth of LEDs when you don't even have a single game to show) and lots of it was wasted on custom fabrication, but damn, all of it?

You would be absolutely shocked to see

#15327 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It is a fact while it appears to not be a known fact or I wouldn't have to keep saying it. This isn't speculation on my part. I actually have some data - of which I am sharing in the form of stating that no one will get any money from a lawsuit

Based on what? Hearsay? I don't think you know JPops finances or that nobody will get any money as a fact. Saying otherwise is just you being...you.

#15328 8 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

He may be the only bigger loser than John Pop-a-dick.

Correction: It's "Pop-a-Duke." He bent these guys over.

Get it right!

#15330 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They changed the law, EVERY citizen has to buy health insurance if their employer does not provide it.

His wife is self-employed too.

There's a million exemptions from having to pay... that's what has made the program so contentious. Everyone agrees you need portable health insurance (not tied to your job - in case you lose it) but resent the fact that a lot of people DON'T have to pay. Including members of Congress, people that claim poverty, etc...

But let's not go there. Nobody cared if he was drawing a salary back when they thought he might actually produce something.

#15331 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

$90k on rent, he did pay vendors up through part of 2014, he said he stopped paying himself in Nov 2014 ( I presume that means he got paid UNTIL Nov 2014). Over 4 years, I could see him blowing a million bucks, and nothing to show for it but a few designs on paper and one or two prototype parts. There were probably a lot of designed parts that were done 3 or 4 times - the 1st and 2nd tries cost something, and those are deleted files and tossed in the dumpster pieces. But there is stuff there - its worth something.

#15332 8 years ago

Seems to me...

John advertised a process and a product ... times three. It was a gamble that he would design great games but it was not intended in any way shape or form to be viewed a crowd funding project. He implied you would be getting a game, hey because if problems arose, you could always request a refund (this JPoP can really be a jack*SS sometimes). He pitched his products from concept through design phase and onto building and delivering them, while continuing to provide support after the sale. JPoP would have had to guess a price needed to manufacture each and added 100% for overhead, insurance and profit. Based on this crass assumption, at least half the sales price would be needed to manufacturer each game. So when the point came that the 50% money he collected for all three pins was spent, John raised his hand and declared a problem, or did he?

We presume that when John said he quit paying himself a salary in Nov '14, it signals the money was gone. Yet for the next seven months JPoP did not tell us the project was ruined and that there would no money to complete the design and still expect to build and deliver these pins. JPoP is a sleazeball for not raising his hand earlier, imho. Should we dig a little deeper? We might with find a trail of unpaid vendors. I mean come on John, pay people for what you contracted with them for. I think JPoP is a world class d*bag! So had John paid out the $200k probably owed, it would have meant he would have run out of money one year prior. So Zidware was probably insolvent by Nov 2013, and just now in June of 2015, Zidware admits there is not enough money to complete the machines. That is 19 Months too late! For the last 19 months John saw a dwindling bank balance, which if he had paid his vendors would have registered as $0.00, before bank fees.

JPoP has been defrauding 100% of all his investors for the past 19 months. He has been smearing sh*t all over your faces and laughing as he did it. He did not respect you. But is all that so bad, you wonder? Remember the guarantee policy mentioned earlier? It played a big part in John's scheme. If you needed your money back this is how much you could expect and under what circumstances. Deposits were supposed to be safe. Well based on the fact a number of people had been trying to get a refund from before Nov 2013, and JPOP was not refunding them John knew that if he paid 20 people their $8k each on average, he'd need $160k cash or maybe another year of cashflow. If so, this would mean that John was technically insolvent Nov 2012 *** 31 months Ago! Let me restate this new hypothesis - John f*ck*d up and his company Zidware was technically insolvent 31 months ago - Nov 2012, and he has been so brazen as to have ... BEEN LYING TO HIS INVESTORS ever since. Every utterance from John after Nov 2012, is considered by me to be 100% Bu!!$hi+.

John knew what his account balances were and what burn rate he could expect. Had he paid his vendors and refunded money to people when requested, based on his progress as of Nov 2012, he knew the game was over. What John chose to do thereafter imho, was to engage in a series of pathological lying up until June 2015. JPOP is a really big d-bag

If it is any consolation, am confident that John's lack of record keeping, alleged co-mingling of funds, probable lack of proper corporate and personal tax payments, questionable incorporation, multiple lawsuits etc, JPoP should be planning for a busy year. People, that is called - providing service after the sale. Way to go JPoP!

#15334 8 years ago

As a small consolation, he could be de-homed soon. I hope it was worth it, John.

#15335 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Cointaker brought this up. John owes him $7k as John was too busy prior to expo to pay his LED bills.

#15336 8 years ago

What kind of person brings politics into a thread like this? It's like demonstrating at a funeral, ugly.

#15337 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think we should start a pool on what John's salary was he paid himself. We will find out in discovery for sure now.
My guess is $125,000 annualized plus health insurance for he and his entire family. He also likely ran a ton of reimbursements through the company (my guess is lots and lots and lots of food and electronics).

Don't forget at least two nice lease "COmpaNy" cars. Guessing a BMW SUV for the mrs. to haul the kids around.

#15338 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

I asked him numerous times before he eventually sent me a statement, but it was correct... Naturally my own records were scrupulous (heh), but I still wanted his confirmation.
If a corporate legal entity like Zidware fails to keep adequate accounts, then that is, de facto, corporate fraud, and may even draw into question the validity of his corporate structure (i.e. personal assets can now be attacked). An easy win for the plaintiffs Anyone know how much his house is worth?
Edit: I think this is Jflop's house:
Worth approx $330k. Not massive, but could pay off one-third of his debt, I guess, assuming he has no mortgage. Boy, I wish UK house prices were as low as this!

In a house like that with no fences, who mows what lawn? All the houses here have fences.

#15339 8 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Correction: It's "Pop-a-Duke." He bent these guys over.
Get it right!

Well, I'd rather be out $16K and have water than be out $16K not have water.

#15340 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

Nice house and vee-hickle here:
And maybe Jflop's house is full of nice possessions that can be auctioned. We haven't finished with you, mate. Indeed, we've only just started on you. What other personal assets does Jflop have? Any offshore accounts that he incorrectly thought he could siphon cash to? Regardless of Zane Smith, I may get my own PIs onto this. For interest and a laff, like
Jflop may have fucked with the wrong people this time Totally legal, due process, but still rather effective, hehe.

His is the one on the left with no vehicle.

#15341 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

From where?
His landlord is not going to give his rent back.
Allstate is not going to give his car insurance premium back.
HAP is not going to give his health insurance premium back.
He can't give the food he ate back.
That money is spent, and gone.

Money gambled at the nearby Grand Victoria Casino is not going to be given back. He could try to WIN a big jackpot or parlay bet though. Shucks, he probably forgot to take his Club GVC (24 Karat level) player's club card which would show his play level when he lost all he had in savings.

#15342 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

His wife is self-employed too.

She is listed as an officer of Zidware.

Anyone know if she was drawing a salary too?

#15343 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

How do you know what he's spent? He could have been extracting an unrealistic amount as salary. It's John, the most delusional man in pinball....we must assume he's capable of doing something that dopey. It could be sitting in a savings account.

I have no idea what he spent

I was responding to people who said Jpop had to return every penny of his salary.

#15344 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I am sorry Mark but you are not helping those that paid deposits, yourself, or pinbulbs with continually saying this without having any proof of it. Do yourself, the depositors, and the LED company you are part of a favor and stop saying this unless you have actual proof to back it up.

#15345 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There is simply no way Jpop was going to work full time and not draw a salary.

I've been working more than full time. I don't regularly draw a salary. It's not unheard of. And in the past I've not paid myself so I could pay my employees. That's not uncommon. A good CEO puts the business before his personal needs.

Quoted from vid1900:

I'm not defending Jpop's business practices, I'm just saying he obviously needed to draw a salary for 5 years, as would anybody who is not already a Millionaire.

I've been involved in start-ups for decades. You don't have to be rich to not draw a salary. Most people in start-ups are actually very poor. A lot of people in start-ups work day or part-time jobs to pay the bills. They just need enough money to survive, and they pour everything else back into the company.

What's funny is, because of JPop's business model, because he fleeced his customers instead of getting a legitimate investor, he was able to operate the way he did. If he actually had an investor, the investor would never have allowed him to draw a big salary - it's antithetical to the concept of a start up. You start a company to get paid when it performs, not while it's getting started.

One of the reasons for the dot-com bust in the 2000s was because people lost sight of how start-ups are supposed to be. They got big investment money from VC firms looking to fleece idiots in the market via IPOs, and these over-funded companies spent more money on their office furniture and their salaries than they did creating viable products. It seems to me JPop thought he was back in the year 1998. I wonder if he even bought himself an Aeron chair? LOL

Full disclosure: I own an Aeron chair. I bought it from the bankruptcy auction of etoys.com.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think we should start a pool on what John's salary was he paid himself. We will find out in discovery for sure now.
My guess is $125,000 annualized plus health insurance for he and his entire family. He also likely ran a ton of reimbursements through the company (my guess is lots and lots and lots of food and electronics).

My guess is $60k/yr, but I bet he charged a ton of stuff on the "company card" also.

Quoted from Pinballs:

I've written off the $20k, but am delighted to pay $500 - peanuts extra - to get justice.

It's worth $500 just to get a look at the discovery documents. I bet the stuff he spent money on is going to make Van Halen's rider look boring. For all we know he might have commissioned a "Michael Jackson style" painting of him on a golden throne with a magic wand. I predict the best is yet to come.

#15346 8 years ago

Pinball startup....See Spooky for how it's done.

#15347 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

According to John he stopped drawing a salary in Nov 14.
Whether that's true or not that's what he said.

This is redundant. Maybe his salary was "The rest of the money" or he gave himself a "rest of the money" bonus.
Him saying anything like this is just a diversion. His business account and personal account essentially were the same thing.
It's self serving to appear broke.

Suing this guy is the only $$ well spent regards this mess.

#15348 8 years ago
Quoted from Tharizdun:

This is redundant. Maybe his salary was "The rest of the money" or he gave himself a "rest of the money" bonus.
Him saying anything like this is just a diversion. His business account and personal account essentially were the same thing.
It's self serving to appear broke.
Suing this guy is the only $$ well spent regards this mess.

It's been a bit. Can someone post Zane Smith Info Again?

#15349 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

You're wrong we didn't employ John. If a guy installs a garage door on your house you don't pay him a salary or pay his insurance. You pay a set price for a service/product.

I didn't reply the the first time because I thought you were just being factious because of the emotions.. but now you really think this way? Surely you aren't that clueless?

When you hired 'Joes Garage Doors' Joe charged your a price for his goods and services... a Price that includes MARKUP.. markup that is intended to cover overhead, expenses, and an element of profit. Your transaction is with a seller, who is providing goods and services and charging a markup on those things to fund their business... INCLUDING PAYING THE GUYS SALARY.

When you bought an item from ZIDWARE - you were buying a product from the company for a set price, not hiring John on some Time and Materials contract. The company is free to do whatever it feels proper with that money - its not for you as the customer to have any say what so ever on how they fund their operations or what they pay their employees. Their obligation is to deliver on their product - to be successful they need to charge prices that fund both the business and cover their expenses.

Quoted from rai:

I think you are confusing the issue, we didn't agree to pay for his insurance any more than if you buy a taco from a truck are we agreeing to pay a salary or insurance for the truck driver

YES YOU ARE! OMG.. are you really that obtuse to what it means to run any sort of business? The price of your taco is determined in a fashion to cover expenses and provide a margin to the business.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 307 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/307 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.