(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 491.
#1351 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Most annoying poster on Pinside.

He's douchtastic!

It must be lonely sitting in that tiny apartment with his TMNT sheet set.

rd.

#1352 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Heard there was a FIF sold around that price wasn't there?

We all know how smoothly THAT went lol...

#1353 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Just curious. Anyone looking to sell their spot?

Which spot? Just one spot for 27k? Or both spots for 27k + 17k + 10k? Or my dog Spot for $10k?

#1354 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Most annoying poster on Pinside.

All I want for Christmas is to see his name above the words "Retired Pinsider."

#1355 9 years ago

please don't make this thread about me. For all of those who hate me just ignore me. Nothing I said in this thread is bad or deserves the vitriol I get. Just curios about these games. Have a place to place some more pins. And my apartment isn't huge but I wouldnt say its tiny. Always an open invite to come by and play LOtR

#1356 9 years ago

Is preorder for RAZA are sold out?

#1357 9 years ago
Quoted from VGC1612:

Pre orders are sold out so you would have to buy an existing owners spot.

#1358 9 years ago
Quoted from VGC1612:

I bet he just got 10 pms lol

#1359 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I bet he just got 10 pms lol

Not from me!

#1360 9 years ago

Me either

I'll say this, I think John could ultimately make 100 or so MG's and 250 RAZA's.

Just a feeling I have based on needing to attract a partner and some "muscle" into his company.

Can't be enough profit left at 50 and 124 to make it interesting to a "partner"?

#1361 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'll say this, I think John could ultimately make 100 or so MG's and 250 RAZA's.

Let's hope this many is made at least. It's gonna suck down the line when someone wants one of these machines and has to pay through the butt cheek to get one.

#1362 9 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

It's gonna suck down the line when someone wants one of these machines and has to pay through the butt cheek to get one.

Not as bad as its sucking for us original owners having money fronted for 3 years to get one.

#1363 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Just a feeling I have based on needing to attract a partner and some "muscle" into his company.
Can't be enough profit left at 50 and 124 to make it interesting to a "partner"?

He could ramp up his production of AIW and future games but I think his ass would get skinned if he is planning to double up his production on MG's and RAZA's. Delays are one thing but changing the contractual terms for these limited games would be a low that I doubt Jpop would sink to.

#1364 9 years ago
Quoted from slapshot:

He could ramp up his production of AIW and future games but I think his ass would get skinned if he is planning to double up his production on MG's and RAZA's. Delays are one thing but changing the contractual terms for these limited games would be a low that I doubt Jpop would sink to.

Nope. It's already been done to MG. What are there now, 50 of them?

#1365 9 years ago
Quoted from slapshot:

I...........don't think he cares about that or thinks its a big deal. MG's are already at 50.

It's just a necessity now.

#1366 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I...........don't think he cares about that or thinks its a big deal. MG's are already at 50.
It's just a necessity now.

When the number was upped to 50 last time there was a refund offered.

If he changes the contract terms again, who in their right mind would ever sign up for another one of his preorders? If you deal in the collectables market and destroy the collectibility, as a business you're done.

#1367 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

If he changes the contract terms again, who in their right mind would ever sign up for another one of his preorders? If you deal in the collectables market and destroy the collectibility, as a business you're done.

Exactly.

If that's what he did (and I have no reason not to believe that's what happened) there is nothing that would prevent him from doing the same thing with RAZA. Nothing!

There has been talk about how it would be a good thing if JPop could hook up with a company like JJP to come in and actually build the pins for JPop, as this would speed things up a lot in terms of getting the pins made and out the door once he is (finally) done designing them. But my fear would be if this is done, it would be easy to feel like he should increase the number of RAZA pins as well in order to recoup more money/increase profit. He probably didn't feel comfortable trying to make more than 125, but if a company like JJP teamed up with him, this would no longer be a limiting factor.

That would suck for the guys who have been in on this since the beginning. Actually it would suck for all who are in, regardless of how long.

#1368 9 years ago

Hey ChrisVW, did you MG guys get any say or a chance to vote on the doubling of your rare collectables or did he just tell you that is what he was doing after he had your money?

#1369 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

If you deal in the collectables market and destroy the collectibility, as a business you're done.

So says the beanie baby!

Gotta be able to make the collectible first.

I think he sticks to MG at 50 or risks losing his flame proof underwear that he wears to work everyday

All bets are off on the rest.

#1370 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

I'm asking seriously, not as a troll..

But is that the main reason folks are/were buying these? For collectability?

I don't really consider myself a collector - I'm a player (as evidenced by the condition of my TZ..! Ugh.) so the whole 'getting it because it's collectible' is foreign to me.

#1371 9 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I don't really consider myself a collector - I'm a player (as evidenced by the condition of my TZ..! Ugh.) so the whole 'getting it because it's collectible' is foreign to me.

Collectability was certainly a big part of it, at least for me when it came to MG. To have a limited production run of a machine done by a designer who created 3-4 of some of the best games ever made was the only reason to warrant a price tag of $17k. Keep in mind, the same time I signed up for MG, BBBs were selling at $12k. Would BBBs be where they were then/today if there weren't only 200 of them? There aren't enough toys and gadgets in the world that can warrant $17k for a machine that doesn't have a limited run.

With that said, when my MG finally arrives and is set up....collectable yes, meant to be hidden from the world, NO. All are welcome to come visit and play as many games as your heart desires. (I'll just charge $100/hour for parking)

#1372 9 years ago
Quoted from slapshot:

Hey ChrisVW, did you MG guys get any say or a chance to vote on the doubling of your rare collectables or did he just tell you that is what he was doing after he had your money?

Nope. We got a letter in the mail notifying us of the production increase and an offer for a refund if we weren't onboard. This was after full payment was received. It was nicely worded and all but it was basically a "my way or the highway" letter.

#1373 9 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Speaking for myself (I was one of the original buyers when this was announced as Ben Heck's Zombie Adventureland), I got in because 1) it was a chance to get a Zombie themed pin, which was my most desired theme; 2) JPop was going to design it, meaning it would have excellent artwork and the pin would shoot great; 3) it would be unique and collectible

#1374 9 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

No, of course not. I wanted the game for the game. The high price was justified by the low production number.

But I'm also not in it to be giving out interest free loans.

#1375 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So says the beanie baby!
Gotta be able to make the collectible first.
I think he sticks to MG at 50 or risks losing his flame proof underwear that he wears to work everyday
All bets are off on the rest.

I completely agree with you but that's his problem not ours. I held up my end of the contract when my check cleared.

#1376 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Speaking for myself (I was one of the original buyers when this was announced at Ben Heck's Zombie Adventureland), I got in because 1) it was a chance to get a Zombie themed pin, which was my most desired theme; 2) JPop was going to design it, meaning it would have excellent artwork and the pin would shoot great; 3) it would be unique and collectible

What Rob said.... especially point #1 (refer back to the original video teaser)

#1377 9 years ago

I've been reading and not saying much, but believe in what JPOP is doing for sure. I was able to visit during Expo and things look amazing!

I will say, that it would bug me if he ups the production numbers of RAZA. While I may understand it from a business perspective; I consider the price premium to be part of the limited nature of the release.

#1378 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

I completely agree with you but that's his problem not mine. I held up my end of the contract when my check cleared.

I know it sucks, but you had Option A or B. Refund or stay in.

Pinball is like the Wild West of idiots and bamboozlers in today's world.

A promise means nothing and bullshit is what is to be expected.

The train is about to blow right off the tracks at 200 mph

#1379 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I got in because 1) it was a chance to get a Zombie themed pin, which was my most desired theme;

And yet you let life pass you by

I'm now up to at least $1500 in playing value on my LE

#1380 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

But my fear would be if this is done, it would be easy to feel like he should increase the number of RAZA pins as well in order to recoup more money/increase profit. He probably didn't feel comfortable trying to make more than 125, but if a company like JJP teamed up with him, this would no longer be a limiting factor.

"Anyone that would be willing to pre-order a limited run of 125 pins, surely wouldn't mind me upping it to 250"

#1382 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Nope. We got a letter in the mail notifying us of the production increase and an offer for a refund if we weren't onboard. This was after full payment was received. It was nicely worded and all but it was basically a "my way or the highway" letter.

That's pretty rotten, the old bait and switch. How long ago did you get the letter?

#1383 9 years ago
Quoted from slapshot:

That's pretty rotten, the old bait and switch. How long ago did you get the letter?

Yeah it sucks but since there was a refund offered I figure there was no other options. This was back in July 2013.

#1384 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And yet you let life pass you by..

No... pretty sure that hasn't happened yet.

#1385 9 years ago

Does anyone else know of any other numbered limited edition collectables where quantities were increased after the sale? I'm not talking about double dipping or milking (anniversary edition, collectors edition, ruby red edition). I'm talking about announcing and selling 100 of X and then making and selling 5x more of X than promised.

I have been combing google and haven't found much other than a Nightbreed DVD limited numbered edition on Amazon where 5000 were announced and sold then they upped the number to 10,000.

Is there a term for this practice, other than breach of contract or fraud?

#1386 9 years ago

It just gets worse everyday..

#1387 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Does anyone else know of any other numbered limited edition collectables where quantities were increased after the sale? I'm not talking about double dipping or milking (anniversary edition, collectors edition, ruby red edition). I'm talking about announcing and selling 100 of X and then making and selling 5x more of X than promised.
I have been combing google and haven't found much other than a Nightbreed DVD limited numbered edition on Amazon where 5000 were announced and sold then they upped the number to 10,000.
Is there a term for this practice, other than fraud?

I think transformers LE's (at least the Autobots and Decepticons) were upped slightly right after they were announced. Good thing, there were almost not enough of those to go around (that being said everything's obvious in hindsight).

Quoted from ChrisVW:

Yeah it sucks but since there was a refund offered I figure there was no other options. This was back in July 2013.

Would it have been any better if the "international edition", or Scooby Red had been announced?

#1388 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

"Anyone that would be willing to pre-order a limited run of 125 pins, surely wouldn't mind me upping it to 250"
» YouTube video

I love it !!!
Actually from one of my favorite movies ever.

More like..."anyone that would be willing to pre-order a pin for $17k, would surely be willing to pay an additional $3k to keep the dream alive."

#1389 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Is there a term for this practice, other than breach of contract or fraud?

BBB. Was announced at a number, then Gene found more parts and could make more. Numbers increased.

#1390 9 years ago

Buyers of MG, where you told by how many the increase would be?

#1391 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

BBB. Was announced at a number, then Gene found more parts and could make more. Numbers increased.

I was in on the original IPB BBB order of 111 back in 02'. I took #111. About 3 days later, IPB sent me a letter indicating they found / had extra parts to make an additional 70-80 games.

I felt somewhat slided because I bought in at 1 of 111 games and selected my # based upon that amount of games. I also was uncomfortable giving a company $4,500 for something they had never built.

#1392 9 years ago

Everyone seems more interested in rarity than the game itself.

#1393 9 years ago

I haven't played MG, RAZA or AIW yet, so I couldn't tell you if it was playability or rare/uniqueness attraction. I'm leaning on rare/uniqueness. Full disclosure... Yes, I'm in on ZA. I can't afford all 3

#1394 9 years ago

I can't afford the wait for all three.

#1395 9 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I was in on the original IPB BBB order of 111 back in 02'. I took #111. About 3 days later, IPB sent me a letter indicating they found / had extra parts to make an additional 70-80 games.

I felt somewhat slided because I bought in at 1 of 111 games and selected my # based upon that amount of games. I also was uncomfortable giving a company $4,500 for something they had never built.

That must have been a scam of theirs. When I bought in they told me in no uncertain terms that there were only going to be 163. I picked my number and what my plaque said based on that (something about the last one being built). Oops, now there are 184 or whatever. Frankly, should anyone be surprised that Gene had trouble with keep rack of inventory?

Oh well, I figured out I didn't really like the games and so I never even opened mine up and sold it NIB to some dude in AUS a few years later.

#1396 9 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Everyone seems more interested in rarity than the game itself.

Quoted from Cheeks:

Oh well, I figured out I didn't really like the games and so I never even opened mine up and sold it NIB to some dude in AUS a few years later.

Forgive me for quoting myself, but it is exactly why you're wrong about your statement. We're all buying these games on a hunch. We don't get to see or know anything about what it will be other than the theme (and in the case of RAZA, even that has shifted significantly since the beginning). Just like BBB, MG absolutely CANNOT be $17K good. Nothing is. But people are counting on it being good and rare to justify the price. Once people get their games, some will like it, and some won't. Frankly I think BBB sucks and couldn't get out from under mine fast enough. I bought cheap and sold high, so I was lucky. What people don't want here is to pay the premium for a 17 game run and end up selling at a much higher game run price. Why do you think RAZA and MG were different prices? They won't have a BOM difference. They have a production run difference. That rarity is valued at something.

So, people are hung up on the rarity because part of the value is tied to that. The more he makes, the less they are individually worth. Given that people bought at a certain premium level, they have every right to be concerned. Look what happened to people that bought a routed MM months before MMr was announced. Similar thing here.

#1397 9 years ago

Was it the doctor they interviewed on the Pinheadz podcast?

#1398 9 years ago

When I bought RAZA (then BHZA) it was because of:

-Zombies! Fueled in no small part because of the TWD tv-show.

-Big Bang Bar selling for $15k+. Basically, if a new game with half the production, it is a "buy now or never" as I'd never stomach paying $15k or more for a game. It was not an investment in that I had/have no intentions of selling, but the reality of the forced scarcity meaning I'd never otherwise be able to own one.

So, yeah, if that forced scarcity model gets mucked with, basically means my money was tied up for no reason and all the stress/frustration/anger about waiting all this time was for nothing if someone can come at the end and buy in for the same price.

I now own a TWD LE, so the Zombie itch has been scratched, and as far as Zombies go, the TWD pin obviously has that in spades, far more than RAZA will at this point.

Had RAZA come out on its original release schedule, I could have been playing Zombies for a year before TWD and all would have been good.

If point 2 is made moot because of increased production, this whole experiment was a waste. I won't be pre-ordering anything ever again after this, whether or not the #s get changed.

#1399 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

When I bought RAZA (then BHZA) it was because of:
-Zombies! Fueled in no small part because of the TWD tv-show.
-Big Bang Bar selling for $15k+. Basically, if a new game with half the production, it is a "buy now or never" as I'd never stomach paying $15k or more for a game. It was not an investment in that I had/have no intentions of selling, but the reality of the forced scarcity meaning I'd never otherwise be able to own one.
So, yeah, if that forced scarcity model gets mucked with, basically means my money was tied up for no reason and all the stress/frustration/anger about waiting all this time was for nothing if someone can come at the end and buy in for the same price.
I now own a TWD LE, so the Zombie itch has been scratched, and as far as Zombies go, the TWD pin obviously has that in spades, far more than RAZA will at this point.
Had RAZA come out on its original release schedule, I could have been playing Zombies for a year before TWD and all would have been good.
If point 2 is made moot because of increased production, this whole experiment was a waste. I won't be pre-ordering anything ever again after this, whether or not the #s get changed.

I passed on TWD LE because the art wasn't there for me. I like the TV series but didn't want a pin that looked like a TV commercial. The playability alone doesn't make it for me. I want the whole experience and art is a larger part for me.

I ordered BHZA because I know the art will be there. And I hope it will be playable.

It is like buying a future year of fine but limited wine (yes I am taking a risk) and TWD LE is like buying a common Merlot at a local package store.

#1400 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

What people don't want here is to pay the premium for a 17 game run and end up selling at a much higher game run price. Why do you think RAZA and MG were different prices? They won't have a BOM difference. They have a production run difference. That rarity is valued at something.

50 games is still rare as F. I don't think that number will devalue MG if it ever gets made.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.