(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 267 of 491.
#13301 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Frolic - are you at least going to the NW show to see it in person? It looks pretty good from the "putting it together" perspective as I helped PDX monkey and John until 2am Wed. You guys need to focus on the present, and ignore all the speculation and bull crap comments - see the game and say whether you are in or out.

You expect people to make a 16K decision based on the game in its current state??

#13302 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

What's the premise of Magic Girl? Who is she and what is the "story" of the pin/gameplay? How does the Owl play into the story?

Obviously the girl has sex with the owl.

#13303 8 years ago
huffer.jpghuffer.jpg
#13304 8 years ago

They should now call it Magic Woman....

#13305 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

wow... impossible not to take that personally

I can see why. I think the MG playfield looks better than the RAZA one at this point. I believe the "clown puke" should be more a reference to the LED usage than the playfield artwork on this game.

YombieYetti, I do have an honest question about the color palette though. Is that you or John driven? I'm an owner of RAZA vaporware, and I have to admit that as much as I love the art, I have been perplexed by the overly blue/purple/pink color palette. I thought the way BHZA looked was cool and retro feeling. RAZA seemed to take an artwork turn with all the sci-fi stuff (which you've said was forced by John) and the color scheme. I really LOVE your work, so I'm curious about the color choices.

#13306 8 years ago

i'm glad i did not put money down on zombie adventure game years ago. Hope all who put money down get something back at some point.

#13307 8 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

They should now call it Magic Woman....

I like it.

Or maybe Magic Broad.

#13308 8 years ago

No skin in the game, hate to see all you good people getting screwed, and I REALLY hate seeing a pretty game like that go to waste.

I don't think it looks like skittles barf; I think it looks magical. ZombieYeti's artwork is phenomenal!

#13309 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

yeah, Ben obviously has a personal axe to grind with JPOP. But that was kinda dickish.

#13310 8 years ago

#13311 8 years ago

I heard first 100 customers of MG get a clown nose and rainbow clown wig:

clown-nose.jpgclown-nose.jpg

#13312 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Yeah it is a coment on the color bombing of crappy lighting. "Skittles" is what a game with lots of color bombed GI looks like and that is a perfect discription for MG.
It is really a shame, esp since your art is so good! Warm white GI would really make it pop instead of the taste the rainbow lighting abomination that it currently has.

Quoted from zombieyeti:

Personally - it looks busy as hell. The old throw the kitchen sink in approach. Sorry i do not look at it and say instant classic. Art is in the eye of the beholder and if the artist takes each comment personally, it is probably better to do something else.

#13313 8 years ago

double post - sorry

#13314 8 years ago

Looks pretty, but the upper playfield looks like its view is obstructed.

#13315 8 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I can see why. I think the MG playfield looks better than the RAZA one at this point. I believe the "clown puke" should be more a reference to the LED usage than the playfield artwork on this game.
YombieYetti, I do have an honest question about the color palette though. Is that you or John driven? I'm an owner of RAZA vaporware, and I have to admit that as much as I love the art, I have been perplexed by the overly blue/purple/pink color palette. I thought the way BHZA looked was cool and retro feeling. RAZA seemed to take an artwork turn with all the sci-fi stuff (which you've said was forced by John) and the color scheme. I really LOVE your work, so I'm curious about the color choices.

I start the color concepts and john lets me go as if I'm clear, then at some point he takes my separations and removes all contrast and pushes the hue to 5000%...

I think he believes CV is the roadmap and I don't...

That said, MG is closer to my original palette than RAZA by a long shot... But the issue is he doesn't understand value (brightness contrast) is more important to readability than hue(color)...

So for instance, while RAZA needed to be brightly colored (as I was instructed) I originally had the background dark to pop the radiated palette pieces with contrast - when you remove the contrast it might as well be pastel. And that's how it reads.

In reality - RAZA is far from locked - but with the color plates there it can still be adjusted etc...

So I do the technical work & he adjust the plates to his palette

#13316 8 years ago

I honestly thing MG is a beautiful game and the artwork is amazing. I would be very proud of it if I were you ZY.

#13317 8 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Personally - it looks busy as hell. The old throw the kitchen sink in approach. Sorry i do not look at it and say instant classic. Art is in the eye of the beholder and if the artist takes each comment personally, it is probably better to do something else.

If I cared about people's opinion that much I don't think my portfolio would resemble anything close to what it is.

Taste is subjective - yours as well as mine.

That said - Ben and I have talked a lot - I was not expecting that post...

#13318 8 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

I honestly thing MG is a beautiful game and the artwork is amazing. I would be very proud of it if I were you ZY.

I agree! In my dreams I draw like that.

#13319 8 years ago

To me it is a shame that John's ego is so big that not only does he hire a great artist and not pay him, but then he decides that he is the artisitic genious and wants to tweak a bunch of stuff. Sure, provide your input to steer as the designed but let the pro do the driving.

#13320 8 years ago

I think the art by itself looks great, but when I look at it, I think of something Python said to me at Expo a couple of years ago when looking at my whitewood and giving me thoughts about the art. He said something along the lines of 'keep it simple, don't cram a ton of stuff into it, you don't want it to look too busy'.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion and have different likes and dislikes. When I look at the game, overall, it seems very busy, just too much stuff going on with the ramps, toys, plastics and the art. This is not meant in anyway as a criticism of ZombieYeti's art, which most of us agree is a amazing, but more about John's approach to the game and what seems like him wanting to throw/cram in everything he ever wanted to do on a pin.

#13321 8 years ago

I think it borders on busy but doesn't quite drive off the cliff.

Now, that said, once you see it on with the insert lit and a game playing, well... that opinion might change. I think about how WoZ is like eyeball overload.

#13322 8 years ago

As a trained artist and illustrator I am pretty much amazed at ZY's work. I can pull most anything together visually but he is at a whole other level (of power and confidence).

Quoted from zombieyeti:

If I cared about people's opinion that much I don't think my portfolio would resemble anything close to what it is.
Taste is subjective - yours as well as mine.
That said - Ben and I have talked a lot - I was not expecting that post...

#13323 8 years ago

Of course, now that Jpop is out of the picture, nothing is stopping the art being produced in any color pallet wanted.

Too much My Little Pony for everyone's taste? Screen it in a different color.

It's only ink.

#13324 8 years ago

Ok judging the game on its own it's a gorgeous piece of pinball work. I can't wait for the video.
PS: from what I can see yes it's a busy pf but I don't think the view is obstructed from the player's perspective.

#13325 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I think the art by itself looks great, but when I look at it, I think of something Python said to me at Expo a couple of years ago when looking at my whitewood and giving me thoughts about the art. He said something along the lines of 'keep it simple, don't cram a ton of stuff into it, you don't want it to look too busy'.
Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion and have different likes and dislikes. When I look at the game, overall, it seems very busy, just too much stuff going on with the ramps, toys, plastics and the art. This is not meant in anyway as a criticism of ZombieYeti's art, which most of us agree is a amazing, but more about John's approach to the game and what seems like him wanting to throw/cram in everything he ever wanted to do on a pin.

Oh I don't take it that way. And I agree there's too much sh#t on there but if I dig up the playfield as I did it (without the sh#t) it's got a lot of open and empty resting areas. Again - that's the contrast idea - you can't have action without calm etc...

#13326 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

If I cared about people's opinion that much I don't think my portfolio would resemble anything close to what it is. Taste is subjective - yours as well as mine.

FWIW, I think the color palette and artwork are fantastic. I collect inexpensive but awesome art, and I was kind of disappointed that your short run of prints had sold out.

#13327 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

You expect people to make a 16K decision based on the game in its current state??

I don't expect anything of anyone making a decision at this point. Do what you want.

#13328 8 years ago

Zombie Yeti, you should be extremely proud of this work. Don't let others get you down. You are an amazing and talented artist and you belong on a current team doing pinball artwork.

#13329 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Oh I don't take it that way. And I agree there's too much sh#t on there but if I dig up the playfield as I did it (without the sh#t) it's got a lot of open and empty resting areas. Again - that's the contrast idea - you can't have action without calm etc...

Take a look at Tales from the Crypt. Very busy, yet visually stunning. I love intricate artwork with lots going on. Metallica Pro is widely regarded as some of the best pinball art as well. An entire internet forum will give you positive and negative reviews. Focus on the positive here, you have legitimately produced one of the best pieces of pinball art of all time in your first project. Don't worry about Ben, he often offends people :p

#13330 8 years ago

One of the weekends I was at John's shop, he had a multi-level wood cut sign thing that had something to do with a wizard, but I can't remember exactly the details. It looked awesome though. Any chance that's your art Jeremy? Could you do poster prints of that?

John said at the time he was going to make/sell those and a few other decor items as a side thing but that never happened.

#13331 8 years ago

Here are some photos
MG1.jpgMG1.jpg

#13332 8 years ago

Looks badass to me, I dont care who says what, if they ever get made or not.

#13333 8 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

I heard first 100 customers of MG get a clown nose and rainbow clown wig:
clown-nose.jpg

Oh cool! are you donating these from your personal stash?

#13334 8 years ago

Holy nightmare shop out!

#13335 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

One of the weekends I was at John's shop, he had a multi-level wood cut sign thing that had something to do with a wizard, but I can't remember exactly the details. It looked awesome though. Any chance that's your art Jeremy? Could you do poster prints of that?
John said at the time he was going to make/sell those and a few other decor items as a side thing but that never happened.

I saw it, looks are very cool. Not clear it was Jeremy's work though.

#13336 8 years ago

more

MG2.JPGMG2.JPG

MG3.JPGMG3.JPG

#13337 8 years ago

I like your work Yeti, I'm sorry if I made you feel discouraged. You will be making great waves in pinball long after this project!

Pinball looks a lot different on camera than in person, hopefully I'll see one in person some day and form a better opinion.

I won't change my mind on this though: Plastics in the back half are overkill, do nothing (I assume) and will greatly increase the assembly costs. Bill should consider simplifying them.

#13338 8 years ago

more

MG4.JPGMG4.JPG

MG7.JPGMG7.JPG

#13339 8 years ago

and

MG8.JPGMG8.JPG

#13340 8 years ago

I'm going to put it more delicately than Ben, but what's up with the colored GI? And is the backbox RGB that just happens to be constantly on purple or is that color of the strips?

Why would you take Jeremy's work, blow out all the contrast in the name of constant oversaturation, and then compound that by killing any chance of the details appearing by washing it out all out with colored lights? Not hard to fix the GI, I'd like to know more about the backbox lighting though. Would look so much better with cool white lighting letting the art speak for itself.

#13341 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Here are some photos
MG1.jpg

Great harm!

#13342 8 years ago

I think with Cool White GI it would look 10x better.

That trough cover is bananas! Really nice.

Imagine how great this thing would be if Popaduik wasn't such a fuckwit.

#13343 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Would look so much better with cool white lighting

Owe me a Coke.

#13344 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm going to put it more delicately than Ben, but what's up with the colored GI? And is the backbox RGB that just happens to be constantly on purple or is that color of the strips?
Why would take Jeremy's work, blow out all the contrast in the name of constant oversaturation, and then compound that by killing any chance of the details appearing by washing it out all out with colored lights? Not hard to fix the GI, I'd like to know more about the backbox lighting though. Would look so much better with cool white lighting letting the art speak for itself.

This is why everybody does custom LEDs anyway. Everybody likes something different.

#13345 8 years ago

The cabinet art is a whole other kettle of fish though. Doesn't jive with the playfield or backglass at all. If it didn't say "Magic Girl" on it I would think it was for a completely different game...

#13346 8 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

The cabinet art is a whole other kettle of fish though. Doesn't jive with the playfield or backglass at all. If it didn't say "Magic Girl" on it I would think it was for a completely different game...

Well remember it was done by an entirely different artist.

#13347 8 years ago

Game looks cool as shit, just hope it doesn't play like shit.

Hope they get one fully working at
Some point.

#13348 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Owe me a Coke.

If I'm in the store and see one that says "Share a coke with a goat" I'll grab it for you.

#13349 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Plastics in the back half are overkill, do nothing (I assume) and will greatly increase the assembly costs. Bill should consider simplifying them.

They don't do anything ? I have to strongly disagree with you. This machine is one beauty. Especially all of the art, I would love have one in my living room. Do the plastics serve a "game" purpose ? No, but they make the machine look damn sexy. Now one could argue if a nice looking pinball machine is worth 16k, but to say they overall decoration of the machine is not important ?

#13350 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I did do that - even engraved and cut the parts on my laser

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 267 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/267 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.