(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 258 of 491.
#12851 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

John is the ONLY problem here. I resisted this for a long time because I wanted to see these machines and the work I put into them. I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I liked him. It's not like it was a pleasure working with him all the time, bear in mind. Whether I was being delusional or selfish, I'm getting a pretty clear picture now thanks to the last few weeks.
One question keeps coming back to me: If John could lie for years purporting to be doing the art himself, why would I think he would be honest about ANYTHING? Or capable to DO anything himself? It saddens me to even think some of what i now do about him - but the evidence is pretty overwhelming.
So I probably shouldn't share this - but I think it's important because Bill will catch hell from some here regardless of the showing at NW - BUT here goes... The prototype - John's LAST ditch effort to prove himself and possibly earn an ounce of goodwill back to his toxic reputation - was all based on pure horse excrement...
John said it would be ready by last weekend. It wasn't. Monday? Not even close. Tuesday? Nope.... Bill was taken for a ride in this, albeit an extended one by comparison to most - based on the info John presented and trusting it. BUT he pushed through - a team of local owners came in to dig John out and get something out of nothing over the past days. That team got it functioning at 2am this morning. Right now the machine is leaving Chicago for NW.
Unfortunately in all of this, and personal circumstances beyond my control, I won't be riding or attending NW afterall. It saddens me because I wanted to see MG just once in a working form and buy Bill & anyone involved a few rounds of drinks.
Argue that it was futile all you want - but at least someone tried. It definitely wasn't John.

This is too bad, meeting you would have been a highlight of the show. But thank you for the heads up!

And as for the rest... at least somebody got it working? I am looking forward to seeing it in ~2 days.

#12852 8 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

John will go back to tinkering in the laboratory "for the love of pinball." He will continue to defend his actions and will blame the community for how they have hurt him. It's really a sad situation.

John hasn't even begun to feel the hurt from this community!

#12853 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Back when John parted ways ways with me the project didn't seem so dire. Though I do recall a couple MGC's / expos in a row him saying "Oh yeah I might have something at the this show..." and I wondered why he never had anything to show even after two years!
Yeti's story sounds legit. Before anyone brings up the 3 MG in cabinets from the Abode video, heard from many a person those were just mockups to look impressive on camera.

He had that row of 'prototypes' in the shop for a long time - it wasn't something done just for the adobe video. They were never complete working games that I'm aware of.

#12854 8 years ago

To give you some perspective on how staggeringly slow John worked compared to people "with something to prove" :

AMH went from a foam core idea in January 2012 to fully playable at MGC 2013, about 14 months. Didn't have final mechs or laser cut ramps, but all the ideas were there.

During this time everyone involved also worked full time jobs, was almost entirely done nights and weekends. My show schedule went from biweekly to weekly and I also did a large project for AMD that same winter delivered just before MGC.

Ironic that John says I left because of drinking, stories go old Williams was a booze and coke soaked affair. Perhaps if John actually put in a hard days, week, month, years of work he'd understand why people need to relax?

#12855 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

John is the ONLY problem here. I resisted this for a long time because I wanted to see these machines and the work I put into them. I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I liked him. It's not like it was a pleasure working with him all the time, bear in mind. Whether I was being delusional or selfish, I'm getting a pretty clear picture now thanks to the last few weeks.
One question keeps coming back to me: If John could lie for years purporting to be doing the art himself, why would I think he would be honest about ANYTHING? Or capable to DO anything himself? It saddens me to even think some of what i now do about him - but the evidence is pretty overwhelming.
So I probably shouldn't share this - but I think it's important because Bill will catch hell from some here regardless of the showing at NW - BUT here goes... The prototype - John's LAST ditch effort to prove himself and possibly earn an ounce of goodwill back to his toxic reputation - was all based on pure horse excrement...
John said it would be ready by last weekend. It wasn't. Monday? Not even close. Tuesday? Nope.... Bill was taken for a ride in this, albeit an extended one by comparison to most - based on the info John presented and trusting it. BUT he pushed through - a team of local owners came in to dig John out and get something out of nothing over the past days. That team got it functioning at 2am this morning. Right now the machine is leaving Chicago for NW.
Unfortunately in all of this, and personal circumstances beyond my control, I won't be riding or attending NW afterall. It saddens me because I wanted to see MG just once in a working form and buy Bill & anyone involved a few rounds of drinks.
Argue that it was futile all you want - but at least someone tried. It definitely wasn't John.

Thanks for the candidness. It's upsetting to keep peeling back the layers and hearing more and more stories. That Bill is fighting to SAVE John from ruin and John won't even throw 110% behind it is shockingly self destructive.

#12856 8 years ago
Quoted from Crazybanana:

» YouTube video
It always sounded like BS

Watching this video explains everything

"I am a perfectionist and perfectionists are procrastinators"
says it multiple times in the video

"So as a pinball designer, we never built games before"

#12857 8 years ago

Did someone post this here? Great stuff!

dandd.jpgdandd.jpg
#12858 8 years ago

^^^^ should be shifty and shiftier...

#12859 8 years ago

Come on John get it together!

#12860 8 years ago

it is my dream that john Popadiuk attempts to represent himself in litigation. He has no money , huh ? Just watch. He will hire an attorney soon and that guy won't be pro bono so then we will all know he has money. If he has money to defend himself then he has money for refunds.

#12861 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Ironic that John says I left because of drinking, stories go old Williams was a booze and coke soaked affair.

I'd love to hear more about how these stories go!

#12862 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Ironic that John says I left because of drinking, stories go old Williams was a booze and coke soaked affair. ?

Nice....

#12863 8 years ago

The poster is pretty good, but Kevin's head needs to be rotated about 2 degrees counter-clockwise and lifted slightly.

Unless the Neanderthal brow was intentional, then carry on!

#12864 8 years ago
Quoted from BloodyCactus:

so.. how did pintasia get all the assets and ip? is there a bill of sale? transfer? do they now own zidware debt? is this even legal?
before, the debtor pyramid was companies owed, and people who paid money in up front.
with people doing the pintasia credit thing, do pintasia now become the largested creditor owed? and being largested creditor would get first pick over the assets?
by pintasia getting all the parts/ip/designs ownership does this just wipe whats owed to other creditors of zidware, seems shaky to grab all ip/assets as one company goes bankrupt before court divies it up to the creditors.
I cant get my head around the legalities of whats gone on between pintasia<>zidware<>creditors.

Since you quoted my post - here's what I know - and some has been posted in the past couple hundred items.
So heres a summary/bump
John said it was a short agreement for the license IP to make the game. I am pretty sure Per Bill's posts here and what John told me Monday, there is no purchasing of parts, hard assets, or games in progress (even the proto going to the NW show is "borrowed"), and no assets means Pintasia does NOT own customer or vendor debt. In sum, what Pintasia has is the right to build the games, selectively take over your Zidware $ into Pintasia "credits", and if you transfer, you waive your right to have any further claim on ZIdware.

Or you can ignore the Pintasia agreement, not convert your Zidware $ order to Pintasia credits. That group of owners has recourse to Zidware via courts, but then its a decision /risk - can I and/or a group get a collective judgment and collection court-ordered, and part 2 of that risk , how does collection of $ for liquidating parts, assemblies, custom boards - whatever - work? THen how is the cash distribution work, based on your % of money deposited. It gets fuzzy for me on how the liquidation, bankruptcy, court process looks like - both details, time and $ to pursue that path. Its been stated by both John and Bill, that's likely a bankruptcy/court process with no cash in the bank, as its all wrapped up in proto parts, die cut patterns, etc. I would think most of what would be liquidated, would barely cover the costs of the court and collection steps involved.

Again, I'm not a party to the agreement, but that's my summation.

#12865 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

we are really
caretakers of pinball

Stern Pinball - A real "caretaker of pinball" for keeping pinball going all by themselves for 15 years after WMS shut it down.

Jersey Jack Pinball - A real "caretaker of pinball" creating an entire new platform, company and pinball manufacturing plant.

Spooky Pinball - A real "caretaker of pinball" for being the first (and only) boutique to produce games without a factory into customer's hands.

jpop/zidware - a "destroyer of pinball" by blowing $1M of hobbyist's money and nothing to show other than 4 years of pinball arts & crafts.

#12866 8 years ago

benheck said:
Ironic that John says I left because of drinking, stories go old Williams was a booze and coke soaked affair. ?

It seems that there was no issues with your ability to execute on AMH.

#12867 8 years ago

It's a shame the game is on the fence of being produced. Looks so nice visually!

*Edit picture removed* I guess pictures still can't be posted of the game....sigh. Wait for the NW show release it is!

I'm gonna spam the fuck out of pictures and videos in this thread from the show

#12869 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

I was one of the local collectors that helped. John was not watching, he was doing. I got home at 230 am last night/this morning, after taking vacation from my real job for M and Tu. I think Bill knew it was a stretch to get it to Tacoma by this weekend - he sent someone from his area, to help assemble and transport the came - he's not part of Pintasia. So yeah, a couple of us tried (and completed) the assembly. It was all there, but not all assembled, now it is. You all will see for yourself this weekend - I'm sure it will be the most quickly photographed, uploaded, posted game in 2015 - with reactions all over the place with opinions good and bad.

#12870 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

It's a shame the game is on the fence of being produced. Looks so nice visually!

download_20150603_074711.jpeg

I wonder if there was anything accomplished this past month that couldn't have been done 1+ years ago? Things could have gone so different.

From the sounds of it, the money dried up early 2014. John could have trotted out MG then, shown it, and collected order money for the rumored additional machines since his reputation hadn't gone into the toilet yet. Bang out the 19 original orders and deliver them, and everything would have been different.

#12871 8 years ago

Pics like that are daggers...daggers I say !

#12872 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Back when John parted ways ways with me the project didn't seem so dire. Though I do recall a couple MGC's / expos in a row him saying "Oh yeah I might have something at the this show..." and I wondered why he never had anything to show even after two years!
Yeti's story sounds legit. Before anyone brings up the 3 MG in cabinets from the Abode video, heard from many a person those were just mockups to look impressive on camera.

Almost - those are protos that do have a lot of working assemblies - but much of it was redesigned in look and function into the game you'll see (in person or immediatedly posted photo/video). I took a pretty good look between games and playfields, schematics as we were assembling and testing.

#12873 8 years ago

well my ramps look good in there. game looks appealing. im going to the show tomorrow. will be interesting weekend.
Ben you going? met you there last year.

#12874 8 years ago

I'd be willing to bet john has some of your money left set aside to pay his lawyers.

#12875 8 years ago

Thanks to all who are attempting to salvage this project.

I have serious doubts about the numbers and/or price, but hope it gets done in some way shape or form.

GOOD LUCK to all

#12876 8 years ago

They haven't slid it into the cabinet in that photo because it would reveal the "oh shit!" mistake of the ramps blocking the patented screen.

#12877 8 years ago

Oh shit.

#12878 8 years ago
Quoted from marlboroman:

He should have warned the pinball community at that point...it might have saved some people of few bucks.

That would have been impossible for him to do. Everyone was a big time JPop defender. They would have said it was just sour grapes. It would have hurt Ben's new company as people would have thought he was a kid slinger. Also JPop was always "lawyeredup" and threatening people. Why would Ben risk getting sued by JPop for defamation (as true as Ben's words would have been).

#12879 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

download_20150603_074711.jpeg

Except John forgot the color Green. "green" it's a pretty cool color, he forgot to use it.

#12880 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

They haven't slid it into the cabinet in that photo because it would reveal the "oh shit!" mistake of the ramps blocking the patented screen.

The game was obviously designed for players 6' plus in height. I'm sure John came up with a nifty magic milk crate and magic wand flipper button extenders for the shorter players, he just needed a little more time

#12881 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I was one of the local collectors that helped. John was not watching, he was doing. I got home at 230 am last night/this morning, after taking vacation from my real job for M and Tu. I think Bill knew it was a stretch to get it to Tacoma by this weekend - he sent someone from his area, to help assemble and transport the came - he's not part of Pintasia. So yeah, a couple of us tried (and completed) the assembly. It was all there, but not all assembled, now it is. You all will see for yourself this weekend - I'm sure it will be the most quickly photographed, uploaded, posted game in 2015 - with reactions all over the place with opinions good and bad.

The issue was john said HE could have it ready long before you got involved. Unless he planned on your help all along. I applaud what you guys have done - but john had outright misled all along - I can see it for what it is now.

I'm stepping away from this. I'd rather focus my energy on creating

#12882 8 years ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

well my ramps look good in there. game looks appealing. im going to the show tomorrow. will be interesting weekend.
Ben you going? met you there last year.

Pin-pimp. Your ramps do look great in the game! If you don't like the metal connection underneath the two half circles, blame me. I don't have a game on order, I'm just a local collector in the loop with Chicago area pinheads, coders, suppliers and designers. I decided to help these last two days to give everyone a change to judge and decide what to do if I had a preorder. I would hope someone would step up if the game was being made in Seattle and I had $ in here in Chicago with a reveal at Expo. You guys deserve to see it.

Things we did were assembly, testing and tweaking final part fitting, a lot of little adjustments to connector placements or such - minor stuff - with a lot of small step testing.

I'm not looking for any atta boy - but you deserve a game to see and judge, and to know the game is done, and hopefully with no bugs created in transport, be able to play the game (or see someone playing) and let the chips fall where they may.

Dan

#12883 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

The issue was john said HE could have it ready long before you got involved. Unless he planned on your help all along. I applaud what you guys have done - but john had outright misled all along - I can see it for what it is now.

Deception is in every part of what John Popadiuk did on this project from the very beginning, spread like bread crumbs along this twisted path. His goal was to make money and not produce anything. He never cared for pinball , or us, or anything except himself. Python had it right.

#12884 8 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

Except John forgot the color Green. "green" it's a pretty cool color, he forgot to use it.

Not everyone game needs to be a rainbow of color. That's a bit overly critical. In that case he also forgot my favorite color "chartreuse"

#12885 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

No way...

#12886 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Pin-pimp. Your ramps do look great in the game! If you don't like the metal connection underneath the two half circles, blame me. I don't have a game on order, I'm just a local collector in the loop with Chicago area pinheads, coders, suppliers and designers. I decided to help these last two days to give everyone a change to judge and decide what to do if I had a preorder. I would hope someone would step up if the game was being made in Seattle and I had $ in here in Chicago with a reveal at Expo. You guys deserve to see it.
Things we did were assembly, testing and tweaking final part fitting, a lot of little adjustments to connector placements or such - minor stuff - with a lot of small step testing.
I'm not looking for any atta boy - but you deserve a game to see and judge, and to know the game is done, and hopefully with no bugs created in transport, be able to play the game (or see someone playing) and let the chips fall where they may.
Dan

I hope you took some photos of the shop and general contents. It could be valuable for placing a time marker on the assets contained int eh shop when this goes to further litigation.

#12887 8 years ago

Well, I look forward to this "reveal". Glad it's not BS this time, and we're going to see something, good or bad.

#12888 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Well, I look forward to this "reveal". Glad it's not BS this time, and we're going to see something, good or bad.

All my negativity aside - I agree. Wish I could see it in person just once.

#12889 8 years ago

So Popaduik continues to be his usual useless shitbaggery. At least he's consistent.

#12890 8 years ago

Frolic you will note the game is on the road now, there is only one driver, and John will remain in Chicago as promised. How the show turns out will be interesting but at the least everyone will get to see MG in all its glory.

#12891 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I hope you took some photos of the shop and general contents. It could be valuable for placing a time marker on the assets contained int eh shop when this goes to further litigation.

Any response to that is a no-win. I see your point though.

#12892 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

During this time everyone involved also worked full time jobs, was almost entirely done nights and weekends. My show schedule went from biweekly to weekly and I also did a large project for AMD that same winter delivered just before MGC.
Ironic that John says I left because of drinking, stories go old Williams was a booze and coke soaked affair. Perhaps if John actually put in a hard days, week, month, years of work he'd understand why people need to relax?

John obviously doesn't know what "hard work" is. It's complete utter BS, everything that comes out of his mouth!

He's a narcissist and has been living a LIE for the last 4 years.

"Caretaker of pinball". "Doing it for the love of the game". "Just trying to make great pinball". Can't tell you how many times he kept saying that in my conversations with him. I'd love to throw up all over him right now.

I'll say it again. He had NOBODY, riding his ASS for years, he had all the ASS KISSERS hanging around him and telling him how great he was and what a genius he is.

The thing I'm sick about is knowing what i know now, NOT getting after his ass two years ago when shit started to not make sense.

I hope somebody can actually get through to his personal assets through litigation, even though he files bankruptcy for Zidware.

Maybe that's why I drink a beer or two on occasion, i work my ass off and need a stress reliever every now and then

I might have another Hulk moment this weekend, if only Scarlett would be there to calm me down.

#12893 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Frolic you will note the game is on the road now, there is only one driver, and John will remain in Chicago as promised. How the show turns out will be interesting but at the least everyone will get to see MG in all its glory.

If it doesn't work Bill, and major kudos to you and the guys that worked to get it going, despite the usual John Dbaggery, I would pay $$ to have BURN IT DOWN party.

Let's all get together in Vegas, take it out to the dessert, set up the live streaming feed, and burn that MF er to the ground.

In fact, we can do it at the "Burning Man" party. Throw it on the pile.

No offense Bill, but i have ZERO interest in this garbage showing up in a museum!

Btw, I'm hoping you really can pull this one out of your ass. A miracle achievement.

#12894 8 years ago

One thing is for sure, I won't be wearing the Zidware shirt John gave me when I was working for him a couple of years ago anymore. That might get me killed, especially if I wore it to Expo. I can just imagine the heel heat I'd generate walking into a room full of pinheads, some of which were JPop's victims. I consider myself very lucky that the timing worked out that he flaked out on me and started blowing me off after he paid me for my work up to that point so I walked away not being owed any money. I feel horrible for everyone of you who got ripped off by him but I can't say the outcome surprised me. My one big takeaway from my time there was I had no idea how he was ever going to finish a game based on how scatterbrained he was and how one week he'd be working on something totally different and unrelated to what he was doing the previous week.

#12895 8 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

I consider myself very lucky that the timing worked out that he flaked out on me and started blowing me off after he paid me for my work up to that point so I walked away not being owed any money. I feel horrible for everyone of you who got ripped off by him but I can't say the outcome surprised me.

MXV,
Lucky indeed. Good judgment on not having any IOUs.

#12896 8 years ago

Gonna call it now, 15k posts by Sunday.

#12897 8 years ago

Speaking as someone in the creative field, I would say that he just worked on what interested him and couldn't (chose not to) work on the tough parts of the game(s) to get the project finished. May be some OCD problems involved, not sure.

Quoted from MXV:

One thing is for sure, I won't be wearing the Zidware shirt John gave me when I was working for him a couple of years ago anymore. That might get me killed, especially if I wore it to Expo. I can just imagine the heel heat I'd generate walking into a room full of pinheads, some of which were JPop's victims. I consider myself very lucky that the timing worked out that he flaked out on me and started blowing me off after he paid me for my work up to that point so I walked away not being owed any money. I feel horrible for everyone of you who got ripped off by him but I can't say the outcome surprised me. My one big takeaway from my time there was I had no idea how he was ever going to finish a game based on how scatterbrained he was and how one week he'd be working on something totally different and unrelated to what he was doing the previous week.

#12898 8 years ago

Remember on the Price is Right, some tool would bid $1 over making the person before have to hit the price on the nose. I guess 15,001.

Quoted from benheck:

#12899 8 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

I'll wear that shirt to shows, put on a wig of crazy hair and wander around making random people sign an NDA about the conversation I'm currently having with them

#12900 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I'll see your Sunday and raise you Saturday.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 258 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/258 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.