(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 235 of 491.
#11701 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Yup and I was completely wrong.
I am seeing almost the exact same signs that I missed back then. At least I learn form my mistakes I guess

Perhaps the sign that you missed was, "stop" your endless posting.

#11702 8 years ago
Quoted from Shorty:

So nobody has actually seen the books?

I don't believe that Jpop has ever "seen" the books. At this point I would be surprised if he kept them and even paid taxes.

#11703 8 years ago

This has probably been covered before, but this thread is so huge, its next to impossible to find:

What is the best estimate of how much cash JP was actually paid? Are we talking in the low 100's thousands or millions?

#11704 8 years ago

Two thousand posts in a week?

#11705 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You keep beating this horse... go back to this post

The tradeoff for John here is Pintasia works to relieve the pressure of the guys seeking games and someone putting up the up front money to keep the project moving. Pintasia puts up money, John gets a stay of execution. That's whats in it for John and why he would be motivated to license the game's work for no up front money. The upside for Pintasia is... trying to get the game made, and maybe, just maybe, an avenue to help people recover some of their losses.

Im not sure the few times constitutes beating a horse but whatever. If it was excessive my oppologies.

As for your pintasia quote, I fail to see how that answers whether John was paid from pintasia to use the license. I understand why you would infer what you have. If that's the case no one has said as much. If that's truly the answer to the license agreement, it seems like a simple reply to a simple question.

#11706 8 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Who works for three months and doesn't get paid.. c'mon, someone pinch me..

Everything i have said about my time at Zidware is the truth. If you want to ask me a direct question then please do so. I hold my business integrity highly. Please ask anyone who has worked with me, or any of the other vendors who worked with me and or Zidware.

To summarise i worked with Zidware on a signed contract between June 2012 and May 2014 and wasn't paid for the last 3 months of that contract.

#11707 8 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

To summarise i worked with Zidware on a signed contract between June 2012 and May 2014 and wasn't paid for the last 3 months of that contract.

I've been there... Between the "oh promise me" and the "next week it will all be all right" it's enough to make you lose your faith in your fellow man.

That's when it's time to negotiate for the seat of acad, and the lathe and (3) table saws, and a pen plotter....

Yeah it was a long time ago, when pen plotters were useful....

#11708 8 years ago

What I can't follow is why are WC and Pintasia both posting?

Is Pintasia actually Bill posting about himself in the third person?

Surely it'd make sense to only have one person talking on behalf of the business.

Be it

A/ Bill

B/ Bill talking about himself in the third person

C/ mystery person talking about Bill.

Amazing to blow through $100,000 in a week one pinball machine.

Once I spent $75,000 in a day on pinball ... But I got 36 machines in return.

rd.

#11709 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Once I spent $75,000 in a day on pinball ... But I got 36 machines in return.

hey thats like, just over 2k each. nice haul.
edit: good value here in (aust)

#11710 8 years ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

I've been there... Between the "oh promise me" and the "next week it will all be all right" it's enough to make you lose your faith in your fellow man.
That's when it's time to negotiate for the seat of acad, and the lathe and (3) table saws, and a pen plotter....
Yeah it was a long time ago, when pen plotters were useful....

The problem is how do you negotiate anything if they refuse to speak to you? ....

#11711 8 years ago

Ok, so i've been going through my archives looking through the videos, pics, docs that i have backed up. I feel that I should start sharing more of what I have now, seeing as i remained quiet for 3 years, 1 year after my contract ended in the hope that Zidware would resolve its problems, depts and be able to finish the games it started. I take my business integrity very seriously. Then, Zidware makes an announcement that they are selling the licence somewhere and John gets to have a new job free from the old company and liabilities and no-one even knows i did any work....

This is where i draw the line, god damn it ............

Also, to update on the Pintasia and Bill front. (I still want them to succeed) I haven't had any reply from my emails on Tuesday, or the Skype chat Bill said he would sort out with me. I appreciate they are busy, but i just want people to tell me the truth and give me honest answers to honest questions. I had enough BS with Zidware.

I have found an mg attract mode video from 16th December 2013 which is now available via this link:

Please note that any video i post is not meant to be a promotional video, they will all be development videos meant only as a reference for further development. Also, if anyone is unhappy with me doing this then please get in touch directly. I am not out to cause trouble, just lift the secrecy vail and help myself with some much needed therapy.

Thanks

#11712 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It lines up with my assumption John has spent the last couple years trying to get bought out rather than build a f'ing pinball.

That's the most obvious explanation of all of this, otherwise he would have stayed in his garage and saved $200k in rent over the last four years.

He had a documented job offer from Stern at $50k plus and turned it down. There are people on here, and at Stern that can confirm this.

#11713 8 years ago
Quoted from PINTASIA:

If the pinball community can't appreciate a good samaritan and would rather see Zidware crash and burn with all their customers receiving zero in bankruptcy, maybe that is what should happen, then everyone can look back and understand what Bill was actually trying to save them from. And yes, should Bill and Pintasia drop this, everyone can count on John Popadiuk to control and make the games from that point forward! Right now, Bill is calling the shots and John has been removed from the scene. Take your pick...
Bottom line is this, the only reason Zidware customers are trying to sue or put Zidware in bankruptcy is because they think there is money to be had. Maybe sometimes people just need to find out the hard way...and no, this is not Bill writing this post. It is someone at Pintasia who has seen the hard work that Bill and Sabrina has put into this project and feels that they don't deserve this type of treatment by ignorant people posting on Pinside.

If you are going to post this potentially eye rolling "good Samaritan" stuff then you need to do it under your real name. This cloak and dagger stuff got old and childish a long time ago. You defend "Pintasia" under the name Pintasia (claiming you are from the entity) but won't say who you are? Ridiculous.

You just spent an inordinately long time disputing these accusations but you do it behind a screen name? This just gives the accusations more weight.

Don't begrudge some of the people for trying to seek *some* kind of monetary solution for this mess... have you seen the kind of money people (apparently foolishly) sent this character?

#11714 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

What I can't follow is why are WC and Pintasia both posting?
Is Pintasia actually Bill posting about himself in the third person?

Maybe its Sabrina

#11715 8 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks to all for the kind words and support - and for those supporting Bill and this last ditch effort to save MG. I get the skeptics on here - I don't blame you considering the road to get here... honestly - I'm prepared for the worst - but I can't say enough how heartbreaking it is/will be if this doesn't work out. Lots of torment to get the art done - all endured to see the end result...

That said... I'm concerned that lack of viable conspiracy theories might slow this thread down... so I'll just leave this here

#11716 8 years ago

What are those three rings on the right side of the playfield? I have seen them in several pictures here but can't figure out what they are for.

#11717 8 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Please note that any video i post is not meant to be a promotional video, they will all be development videos meant only as a reference for further development. Also, if anyone is unhappy with me doing this then please get in touch directly. I am not out to cause trouble, just lift the secrecy vail and help myself with some much needed therapy.
Thanks

Thank you......I feel your pain......

#11718 8 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Also, to update on the Pintasia and Bill front. (I still want them to succeed) I haven't had any reply from my emails on Tuesday, or the Skype chat Bill said he would sort out with me. I appreciate they are busy, but i just want people to tell me the truth and give me honest answers to honest questions. I had enough BS with Zidware.

Same here. No contact from Pintasia, but I a) haven't emailed them and b) don't think that they really need to talk to me just yet anyway. Maybe once they get to the BOM portion - assuming anything is left (or needed) of the work that GLM did.

Again, this is just for transparency, nothing more.

#11719 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Amazing to blow through $100,000 in a week one pinball machine.

If it costs this much to get an already flippable prototype to a show, is this idea with Pintasia even remotely possible without anybody getting left holding the bag?

#11720 8 years ago

Here are a few more files i have found from the development archive.

First up is a dev video showing operation of the top rollover lanes. I took various videos to test out different features effects and sounds etc

Next is a video i took for showing the testing of some motors on the aux coil tests in the service mode.

Finally, some game play video that i shot some time before i got the ramps, install them and made updates for their inclusion. Its quite a short vid and i don't really shoot much, but please appreciate that this was just another dev video for testing out certain features.

I will continue to look for other vids and pics to post on things that were developed during my time there.

#11721 8 years ago

Applejuice thank you for posting these videos.

#11722 8 years ago

Wow this is really impressive work Jim! Thanks for sharing. The lighting is very nice and the screen complements the gameplay well. Its really the programming that makes the game come alive.

Did you work on the music and animations too?

#11723 8 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Here are a few more files i have found from the development archive.

MG definitely has a Popadiuk vibe. Do you know who did the music for the game?

#11724 8 years ago

Rob Barry
Same as Totan

#11725 8 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Wow this is really impressive work Jim! Thanks for sharing. The lighting is very nice and the screen complements the gameplay well. Its really the programming that makes the game come alive.

I believe John had Rob Barry from WMS doing sound. Another artist (not Jeremy) was doing screen animations.

#11726 8 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Next is a video i took for showing the testing of some motors on the aux coil tests in the service mode.

Troubleshooting would have been a breeze.

#11727 8 years ago

Sounds like all his games.. Tom, cv,Totan rolled in one

#11728 8 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Sounds like all his games.. Tom, cv,Totan rolled in one

Exactly what I was thinking.

#11729 8 years ago

Did I see "Unicorn Fur Collected"?

#11730 8 years ago

Thanks Applejuice! There you go - the playable whitewood no one new existed because no one was "allowed to talk". Absolutely baffling why John didn't bring this to Expo '13 or '14.

#11731 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Thanks Applejuice! There you go - the playable whitewood no one new existed because no one was "allowed to talk". Absolutely baffling why John didn't bring this to Expo '13 or '14.

Exactly my thoughts

#11732 8 years ago

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of pinball!

Right down to company folding, and someone swooping in to slap it together at the last minute.

#11733 8 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Music was done by Rob as Eric mentioned. There were also a few animation guys who created flat screen graphics or full length animations that i put into the screen side. There was some 'coding' in the screen end as well as the game end. I always thought of it in similar terms as a pin2k team setup (in my head). As i mentioned before everything went through john and the dropbox shares, so i never really got to speak to anyone directly.

#11734 8 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Troubleshooting would have been a breeze.

I spent along time on the service mode, because it was very useful to have all the tests written for building the prototypes. It was also a good thing to work on whilst waiting for more digital assets or mechanisms etc.

#11735 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Right down to company folding, and someone swooping in to slap it together at the last minute.

True story, Apogee/3D Realms' offices were about 2 miles from where I sit typing this, replete with a big bio-hazard symbol cut in marble laid into the lobby floor. When they were going belly up, a Scared Stiff popped up on Craigslist in my ZIP, at a price that was nothing spectacular. But the listing claimed the machine was never on route. I recognize where it is and drive over. The one lonely, sad guy left to box up all the stuff and clear the building before the padlocks got slapped on the doors, was trying to get the machine sold b/c he had no idea what else to do with it. The machine had been a gift from Bally/Williams in 1996 or so, to Apogee. They sent it in the box and the Apogee guys set it up and played the absolute shit out of it over the years. They also threw the keys away with the box, so the glass had never been off once. It was a wreck. I have never seen a non-routed machine that was more blown out.

#11736 8 years ago

This video explains why StevenP and PDXmonkey have been telling us for a while that there was a playable game there. This is hard to understand.

Applejuice - do you know what else John had in mind for the rules? How much video animation is already done for the game?

#11737 8 years ago
Quoted from PINTASIA:

So for those people who are the naysayers and can't stand the fact that someone has truly stepped up out of the goodness of their heart to help the pinball community and want to just try to dig up stuff to hurt Bill and Pintasia...stop, just stop.

Quoted from PINTASIA:

you will find a lot of information, some which is true and some which is false or simply has nothing to do with the topic at hand. How many people have the same name? Has someone really tried to understand who these people are behind Pintasia, or is everyone on a race to try to put up nasty posts and create drama. There are a number of people all with the name Sabrina Wei, and unfortunately some of those people have had a checkered past

Your post is so vague it's alarming. Stop trying to dig up stuff on Pintasia and Sabrina Wei? Why? What exactly are you denying from that pastebin link? Did this Sabrina work for those companies known to be perpetrating Ponzi schemes?

You have to admit that there is another Sabrina Wei in BC that is a CFO that is accused of ponzi activity when Pintasia is proposing to take over a ponzi scheme and take preorder dollars. I urge every person to read the pastebin link

http://pastebin.com/DE1knCKH

Then re-read the full pintasia post and see if the blanket denials and deflections, generalized shaming for questioning Sabrina and appeal to stop trying to look up info on Pintasia staff doesn't make your hair stand on end a bit. We are past blindly trusting people because they are community members and seem nice and good and honorable. It's time to do real due diligence.

And keep in mind, Pintasia isn't "not asking anybody for any money," They are, according to John's e-mail, talking about making a grab for the remaining pre-order dollars for all 3 games. With no prior record of ever manufacturing a pinball machine. If they fail, they can walk away just like John is. This is very very dangerous, and an even worse investment for almost double the money most people already put down on John.

People are going to call me an asshole for talking ill of such a nice guy (which maybe Bill is) but if people get burned again, they need to accept that this is a bad gamble and they deserve whatever the outcome is for it. Better do your research and make sure the odds are in your favor.

#11738 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's been said already but it's worth repeating. We all do. I may not have money on this game, but I have friends who do. It hurts me to see them hurt/stressed/taken advantage of. It sours the hobby for all of us.

But, Greg, honestly, you don't have a decision to make about the current deal on the table - we all have an interest in things ending well for people we know that do have $ at risk, and go well for all of us as a whole, because it sucks to have a hobby be a thorn in your side, it should be fund, so it does hurt, emotionally. Posts over and over saying the same thing just adds to the downer side of that dead horse. Lets bury the horse instead of standing in a circle around the horse saying what a shame that horse died. Lets move on so that we can stop wasting time on the past.

And re: many posts on soured on the hobby - or even my ToM. John doesn't mean that much to me - the company of Bally made those games, not John. I'm certainly not going to feel bad talking to other pinheads at shows, or playing my collection or playing in tourneys. This will be a footnote in a pinball book someday, but I'm not bailing b/c of John P - why give him that power of your happiness about pinball?

If pinball makes you stressed or mad - only then should you walk away from it.

#11739 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

i guess im in the minority, but i didnt mind the slapped together game. : P

#11740 8 years ago

This is LITERALLY Twilight Zone status. How do you have a flipping whitewood, for years!, and not bring it to a show (any show!) for anyone to see?

I have to think that so much of this NONSENSE could have been avoided if that had happened. But, I guess if he was bringing it to shows he wouldn't be of the mindset to fiddle with hinges for months.

This is all so sad.

#11741 8 years ago

The secrecy was to protect patents/designs of what again? What is in the game that has never been seen before?

#11742 8 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

This is LITERALLY Twilight Zone status. How do you have a flipping whitewood, for years!, and not bring it to a show (any show!) for anyone to see?
I have to think that so much of this NONSENSE could have been avoided if that had happened. But, I guess if he was bringing it to shows he wouldn't be of the mindset to fiddle with hinges for months.
This is all so sad.

If anything, it shows exactly how much of a good and well meaning guy John was not. He had a flipping whitewood 2 years ago and instead of delivering machines, he pigeon-holed the design so he could live off the deposits while he tried to entice Stern or JJP to buy him out so he could retire. What a despicable human being.

#11743 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

That last Duke Nuke sucked ass.

That's for sure.

#11744 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Let's be optmistic and think there is 25% of the money left.. so on average people maybe get $1k back.. but then you forgot all the lawyers and everyone else inbetween.

Unfortunately, this is the sad truth. Lawyers, accountants, consultants, trustees. etc. will all get paid their share before the creditors. Below are a few examples of the staggering fees paid in some recent, high-dollar bankruptcies:

Lehman - $4+ Billion (expected to reach upwards of $8B when complete!!)
Bernie Madoff - $700 Million
Enron - $800 Million

#11745 8 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

This is all so sad.

Good thing he did not bring this to shows. He would have collected even more deposits and might have announced another game by now. This show may have gone on another two years before the music finally stopped.

#11746 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No kidding - this may have saved the project with an expo 13 or 14 reveal.
Why didn't he do that????

#11747 8 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

Good thing he did not bring this to shows. He would have collected even more deposits and might have announced another game by now. This show may have gone on another two years before the music finally stopped.

Anyone know what he was sharing with JJP and/or Stern in terms of development progress?

The other scenario is that he brought it to shows, got a bunch of people pumped, which got Stern/JJP actually excited and hopeful about manufacturing it.

#11748 8 years ago

I didn't mind DNF but it was gifted to me on Steam so free can skew one's judgement. I would LOVE to know the entire story behind that mess, somebody should Kickstart a documentary.

You know that impression you get when someone's asking about something and you know they want to be invited along? "Oh Mad Max, I wanna see that, I'm not doing anything Saturday..."

Well that's how John sounded about JJP or Stern anytime they came up "Oh, they should be hiring REAL designers..."

He actually blamed Spooky for torpedoing a supposed deal he had with Jack (this was like 2 years ago) which, even if true, was his own fault for involving me or Chuck in any capacity (it IS true Jack hates us)

I'd love to play this game, or see it made, but at this point it seems like that crappy car you had as a teenager, and at a certain point you're better off taking it to the dump than putting more money into it.

#11749 8 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

You have to admit that there is another Sabrina Wei in BC that is a CFO that is accused of ponzi activity when Pintasia is proposing to take over a ponzi scheme and take preorder dollars

Was it BC or just 'canada'? I didn't recall seeing things specifically saying BC... but that copy/paste hack job was so impossible to digest I probably only viewed a 1/5 of the content.

One thing we do know is... google her name and you see just how common it is. So I'm gonna need more than just 'canada' + 'same name' to call them the same people.

#11750 8 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

The same way you make your own customers sign a NDA to buy your stuff... or have warped ideas like putting your game in public voids the warranty.

Quoted from Robotoes:

I have to think that so much of this NONSENSE could have been avoided if that had happened

Why? the game still wouldn't be finished... he'd still not be paying vendors... there'd still be no end in sight. The secrecy is annoying - but it's not what kept the game from being finished or steered how the guy spent money.

Look at Hobbit.. all the showing of early stuff has delayed the game significantly as well (can argue for better or worse...) - but it certainly didn't help Hobbit get to the finish line or JJP being more reliable or sustainable. Those are zidware's problems.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 235 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/235 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.