(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 226 of 491.
#11251 8 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I may have read that thread wrong but it's my understanding the local PD handed it over to the fbi and closed their case. As far as I know, Kevin isn't out of the woods just yet.

go back to the Predator thread. People started receiving the emails a short time ago. FBI has washed their hands of it. People need to be aware that with these start-up pre-order arrangements that you have very little protection should they go wrong. Very few people have been reimbursed by their CC companies, no one from Paypal and no one from Kevin. Gonna be the same with JPop and with the new crew if they can't get it produced. People keep saying don't throw good money after bad money, and they're right.

#11252 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Anybody actually read the allegations made in the lawsuit from Elaut?

Link?

#11254 8 years ago

LOL. Have to be fast in this thread!

Edit: Just read through that and HOLY SHIT! I heard rumors that this was not going well, but this is like an HBO series or something.

#11255 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

In case no one is paying attention, the FBI just closed their investigation into the Predator affair and told those that got scammed there to pack sand. They found no criminal activity. Think about that before you decide if you want to throw any more money at this train wreck.

I believe that was the local police and the reason was that no one in the State of Michigan had filed a complaint. The FBI would handle the out-of-state claims.

There is no harm in filing a complaint with the Illinois Attorney General (https://ccformsubmission.ilattorneygeneral.net/). Enough complaints would spark an investigation and for Illinois' many flaws, they are decent at going after consumer fraud. This does not cost anything but perhaps some time.

Also many of the people who are out money are out under $10,000. They can file in small claims court and don't really need a lawyer for that.

#11256 8 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

I believe that was the local police and the reason was that no one in the State of Michigan had filed a complaint. The FBI would handle the out-of-state claims.
There is no harm in filing a complaint with the Illinois Attorney General (https://ccformsubmission.ilattorneygeneral.net/). Enough complaints would spark an investigation and for Illinois' many flaws, they are decent at going after consumer fraud. This does not cost anything but perhaps some time.
Also many of the people who are out money are out under $10,000. They can file in small claims court and don't really need a lawyer for that.

Currently, as of this moment, there is no case against Kevin either through local PD or the FBI.

However, some local MI people have now stepped up so it's possible the local investigation may move forward again.

#11257 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

I'd love to share some inside info on this project. The short of it - I can say It started well. Once Ben left (which I was never told about) I started getting strange requests to draw things that were copyrighted.

That is funny. I wasn't told that either until my tasks got updated and the game name changed so I was like. 'Hang on, the names changed? What the...?' John then told me Ben was no longer involved as he wanted to do a different zombie game. ( I think, was awhile ago now)

Still don't understand why we all never got introduced. I know I've mentioned this to other people involved who say the same thing. Tony at Glm also mentioned the fractured, silo way of working. I for one hated not being able to share ideas, tech stuff in a larger group. It was very isolating. For example I never got to chat to the guy creating the screen graphics or animations so we could share integration ideas

Everything went through john

#11258 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Solution:
Stern hire Zombieyeti and puts him in charge of art for Game of Thones or SW or Jaws....
Or
JJP hires him and they won't have the hot mess they had completely redoing TH artwork on their next title...
Becuase right it seems like folks are trying to build a pinball company around gorgeous artwork....
That's like picking out a wedding dress THEN going out to try to locate a wife....

Not to get off topic, but JJP #3's artist is John Youssi...I think they're covered on great pinball art.

JJP #4: ZombiYeti? Yes please!

#11259 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly.
http://issuu.com/jackgtruth/docs/jjp_lawsuit
With Skit-B and JPop/Zidware going down in flames so close together, the last thing this hobby needs is for JJP to be next.
Damn this hobby has more drama than any I've been involved in!

The hobby will be fine if all the new game makers fold. It's a shame for those who eat/live/breathe pinball as a livelihood if these things keep crashing and burning.

#11260 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The hobby will be fine if all the new game makers fold. It's a shame for those who eat/live/breathe pinball as a livelihood if these things keep crashing and burning.

The hobby may be "fine" if they all fold, but I'd personally much rather have as many options as possible.

#11261 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly.
With Skit-B and JPop/Zidware going down in flames so close together, the last thing this hobby needs is for JJP to be next.

If these guys can pull some strings maybe they could all be transferred to the same prison and start a new pinball company. Instead of making license plates, prisoners could build pinball machines

#11262 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

pull some strings

d9078d6071e8ed7a7b4191ae6b534fc2.jpgd9078d6071e8ed7a7b4191ae6b534fc2.jpg
#11263 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly.

Wow, 2015 will not be remembered as a good year for pinball.

#11264 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

The way people describe his personality, it would seem that remorse/empathy/mind of other are just concepts that he simply isn't capable of.

He's a real life Spock:

“May I say that I have not thoroughly enjoyed serving with humans? I find their illogic and foolish emotions a constant irritant.” - Star Trek, season 3, episode 7 (“Day of the Dove,” 1968)

#11265 8 years ago

Soooo... Hobbit is in trouble...

#11266 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The hobby may be "fine" if they all fold, but I'd personally much rather have as many options as possible.

Legit options sure....but if the options are Shit-B, Zitware and (if Elaut's allegations are true) JJP , are those options we want? Options take your money and give you nothing?

#11267 8 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Soooo... Hobbit is in trouble...

Not necessarily. If The Hobbit hasn't shipped by the time that case wraps up many months (or more likely years) from now, that can't be blamed on the law suit.

#11268 8 years ago

What's up with JJP? Man if they collapse, won't that be worse than Kevin and John put together?

#11269 8 years ago

I'm starting to think with all these evil people showing up in boutique pinball, Chuck is going to turn out to be an axe murderer or something haha.

#11270 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What's up with JJP? Man if they collapse, won't that be worse than Kevin and John put together?

In reading Elaut's case report, they basically accuse Jack of being a mafia style crook who swindled 1.6 million out of their company by replacing the entire staff of their company with family members and paying the money out to a bunch of his own bank accounts while cooking the books.

It's still in court though, so he's innocent until proven guilty...

Edit: and the reason I say Hobbit is in trouble is that a major license like that might pull the plug just because they don't want to be affiliated.

#11271 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Not necessarily. If The Hobbit hasn't shipped by the time that case wraps up in many months (or more likely years) from now, that can't be blamed on the law suit.

Might cause a run on the bank, so to speak. That could cause a delay or future interruption in the Hobbit manufacturing plans.

#11272 8 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

I'm starting to think with all these evil people showing up in boutique pinball, Chuck is going to turn out to be an axe murderer or something haha.

lol. Spooky's next game! Chuckie's Revenge!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#11273 8 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Edit: and the reason I say Hobbit is in trouble is that a major license like that might pull the plug just because they don't want to be affiliated.

The lawsuit is old news already, I doubt that's going to happen.

#11274 8 years ago

Hey RobT, way to deflect the thread and heat off JPOOP (for a few hours anyway) and put it right on JJP. Master deflection dude, bravo

#11275 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Legit options sure....but if the options are Shit-B, Zitware and (if Elaut's allegations are true) JJP , are those options we want? Options take your money and give you nothing?

Maybe Rick gets a full head of steam (already has a big head full of......) I KID!!!!

We need someone to ramp up real production. Not this trickle of one-off game stuff. Someone to compete with Gary straight up. I just don't see it happening. Not unless one of the game companies with huge pockets decides that there is profit in pinball now.

#11276 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly.

Yikes. Seriously, what is it with this hobby?

#11277 8 years ago

greed and incompetence.

#11278 8 years ago

Throw in ego and I think you're close.

#11279 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

This pinball crowd is something else, wow.
Anybody actually read the allegations made in the lawsuit from Elaut? That'll make your hair stand up on the back of your neck.
Regardless of whether the allegations have merit or not, and I'm sure there are two sides of the story, always is, be pretty tough to entrust assets on a JJP assembly line as a 3rd party contractor without some kind of secured lien or personal guarantee.
Wow factor.

Quoted from RobT:

Exactly.

I read that the other day when the info was posted in the thread that was closed down. There isn't much gray area in that lawsuit.

There are two sides to every story, but one side (not sure which) is gonna end up taking a heavy hit on this one.

#11280 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Might cause a run on the bank, so to speak. That could cause a delay or future interruption in the Hobbit manufacturing plans.

To say the least....and no the lawsuit impact is not baked in yet.

#11281 8 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

We need someone to ramp up real production. Not this trickle of one-off game stuff. Someone to compete with Gary straight up. I just don't see it happening. Not unless one of the game companies with huge pockets decides that there is profit in pinball now.

Yeah, there's a reason Gary said "Come on in, the water's cold" and "I don't run a game business, I run a manufacturing business" ...this is NOT a business for dreamers and artists - it's a business that can HIRE dreamers and artists, but has to keep them to a budget and schedule. Let's say Jack or Heighway do manage to ramp up and keep a factory churning like Stern - can they successfully sell all of that product? Gary also said something like "if anyone did start a new pinball company they'd kill us all off." Honestly I think Stern's pretty safe at this point, but the other guys will probably end up cannibalizing each other.

#11282 8 years ago

On the plus side, it all really makes me want an AMH.

And at least JPop has taught us all a valuable lesson on due diligence and project monitoring. I think the community as a whole will turn out a lot stronger in the end, as far as professionalism and expectations are concerned. The next developer will be expected to have their act together. Bill is the first to experience these new expectations

#11283 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, there's a reason Gary said "Come on in, the water's cold" and "I don't run a game business, I run a manufacturing business" ...this is NOT a business for dreamers and artists - it's a business that can HIRE dreamers and artists, but has to keep them to a budget and schedule. Let's say Jack or Heighway do manage to ramp up and keep a factory churning like Stern - can they successfully sell all of that product? Gary also said something like "if anyone did start a new pinball company they'd kill us all off." Honestly I think Stern's pretty safe at this point, but the other guys will probably end up cannibalizing each other.

Agreed.

I think a lot of people today have the notion that all it takes to start a business is a great idea and customers, the rest will follow. Real work is only about 10% fun stuff, and 90% grunt work that nobody wants to do.

It's really sad to think that if JPop had put in the effort, he might have been successful, but he spent so much time doing the 10% over and over again for different games he never did any of the 90%.

#11284 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The lawsuit is old news already, I doubt that's going to happen.

Maybe, but we are a lot more sensitive as a community to things than we were just a few months ago. While Philgate was bad late last fall, we are in full scale melt down mode right now with Predator and Jpop where people actually have lost a lot of money.

Something that did not overly alarm people four or five months ago is going to have a major impact now...even though it is technically old news we are looking at afresh.

#11285 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It's really sad to think that if JPop had put in the effort, he might have been successful, but he spent so much time doing the 10% over and over again for different games he never did any of the 90%.

That boiled down to core competency, which he lacks (no reason to pull punches at this stage). He did not have the mechanical aptitude to actually build the machine (*I won't even address the issue of the absence of his path to manufacturing*). Skit-B actually had more mechanical and electrical aptitude than JPop.

I guess we have learned that just because you once worked at NASA it doesn't mean you actually can build a space shuttle. JPop worked on the art because it was easy, he avoided the rest because it was hard.

#11286 8 years ago

3stooges.jpg3stooges.jpg

#11287 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

That boiled down to core competency, which he lacks (no reason to pull punches at this stage). He did not have the mechanical aptitude to actually build the machine (*I won't even address the issue of the absence of his path to manufacturing*). Skit-B actually had more mechanical and electrical aptitude than JPop.

To think that Skit-B got further than JPop just boggles the mind.

We've learned he had more than ample opportunities to be helped, but he just doesn't have the leadership quality to drive the project toward his goal once the staff grew to more than just him. As you said, a core competency like Business Acumen was just missing.

He just kept destroying his relationships because he couldn't be bothered to do the actual admin work of maintaining them (paying invoices, keeping records, putting everything on paper, etc...).

#11288 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

This pinball crowd is something else, wow.
Anybody actually read the allegations made in the lawsuit from Elaut? That'll make your hair stand up on the back of your neck.

I did. I refuse to comment on the situation.

#11289 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

To think that Skit-B got further than JPop just boggles the mind.
We've learned he had more than ample opportunities to be helped, but he just doesn't have the leadership quality to drive the project toward his goal once the staff grew to more than just him. As you said, a core competency like Business Acumen was just missing.
He just kept destroying his relationships because he couldn't be bothered to do the actual admin work of maintaining them (paying invoices, keeping records, putting everything on paper, etc...).

Skit B did get further but their game was a lot simpler
No magnets no toys etc...
Plus it does cut down on the overall costs if your mom does the art.

#11290 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

cut down on the overall costs

Kind of like not paying vendors too...

#11291 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

or you don't pay the artist

#11292 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

like not paying the guy that did all your coding?

#11293 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Skit B did get further but their game was a lot simpler
No magnets no toys etc...

They both are complete assholes that stole money from their friends by running their companies into the ground.

I don't think either of them feel bad for it either.

#11294 8 years ago

JPOP was an idea guy. He wasn't the wrench turner. His best games had a top notch co-designer and programmer. Silver made CV happen. JPOP just had his name on top bill.

This whole boutique pinball thing is full of idea guys just like him. Not enough wrench turners. And while Kevin might have been a wrench turner, he was too much of a mouth breather to make the business deal stick together. It isn't surprising to me that someone like Kevin got closer, though. He was ignorant on the actual process and just kept plowing ahead. Hell, not even falling to secure the license got in his way. He didn't know a roadblock when he saw it.

Like Rarehero said above, you have to have the logistics in place to manufacture already, before you even think about dipping your toes into this water. If Midway or WMS or EA or some gaming giant decided to throw $25M at retooling a factory, they have a prayer. But they hire the JPOPs of the world to design. Not to run the whole shabang.

#11295 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Agreed.
I think a lot of people today have the notion that all it takes to start a business is a great idea and customers, the rest will follow. Real work is only about 10% fun stuff, and 90% grunt work that nobody wants to do.

One of my local pinbuddies tried a few times to talk me into making a game with him...and I'm like "no way"...he's like "why not!? We have better ideas and can create better art than any of these guys!" ...and I'm like "maybe...but I don't know how to build a f*cking game! I don't know how to cut wood. I don't know how to create or program electronics.....just because I can draw, dream up stuff, and repair my own games does not mean I can mass produce them". He was like "we can find guys to do all that other stuff"....I was just like "Noooooooooo". He was kinda bummed out but I live firmly in reality.

#11296 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Not to get off topic, but JJP #3's artist is John Youssi...I think they're covered on great pinball art.
JJP #4: ZombiYeti? Yes please!

Already planning your 2024 pinball purchase???

#11297 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly.

HOLY MOLY! WTF? Is there a thread about this? I had no idea. Daaayuuumm.. this industry is cray-cray!

#11298 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

One of my local pinbuddies tried a few times to talk me into making a game with him...and I'm like "no way"...he's like "why not!? We have better ideas and can create better art than any of these guys!" ...and I'm like "maybe...but I don't know how to build a f*cking game! I don't know how to cut wood. I don't know how to create or program electronics.....just because I can draw, dream up stuff, and repair my own games does not mean I can mass produce them". He was like "we can find guys to do all that other stuff"....I was just like "Noooooooooo". He was kinda bummed out but I live firmly in reality.

I can do every piece of a pinball machine except the art, and I still wouldn't dare start a pinball company.

Even if there was money to be made, I don't like the idea of making money off of my friends either.

#11299 8 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Maybe Rick gets a full head of steam (already has a big head full of......) I KID!!!!

Heighway?

#11300 8 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

I'm sure Jeremy can draw Eddie...

I actually just finished some official Iron Maiden art that will release at SDCC got the blessing from
eddies father too

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 226 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/226 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.