(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,471 posts
  • 928 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

streamberry (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,471 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 490.
#901 9 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

It is interesting to consider that if TBL wasn't at Expo,

I don't think so... this has been bubbling for a while. The empty cabs shown at Expo is what sent most over the edge

#902 9 years ago

I think though having a contrast of "some guys" that announced a game 1 year ago and have a product of that quality (6months before shipping) might still be considered a tipping point for "enough's enough". Think JJP also suffered a bit from compare/contrast with TBL and you get people being more vocal. Just my opinion anyway. Whatever it takes to improve the status quo is good

#903 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

I don't think so... this has been bubbling for a while. The empty cabs shown at Expo is what sent most over the edge

You're right that this has been building up. Still, I was at Expo and TBL was a showstopper. I don't think things would have boiled over so explosively without all of these other killer new games showing up all at once. Either way, I hope this all starts moving forward for those in on it.

#904 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think sunlight is a better protection than shadows in a small hobby.

I wish I could give this a thousand thumbs up.

#905 9 years ago

For me it was a combo of TBL killing it and the perception of the empty cabs with John and then the Smaug disaster.

I bought TBL as a result. That is how you market and do business. WAKE UP CALL for pin makers and us buyers! A great thing

#906 9 years ago

Well, it doesn't really matter, what's past is past. I'm waiting, but not-so-patiently, for John's answers to the tough questions. Looking forward, and want to see the road map.

#907 9 years ago

It appears this thread might have caught the attention of Coast2Coast pinball. listening to episode 117 "Atomic Madness" that just went up.

#908 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That is how you market and do business.

That's how they almost got me to spend so of my moldy money, almost.

#909 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

It appears this thread might have caught the attention of Coast2Coast pinball. listening to episode 117 "Atomic Madness" that just went up.

Just listened to it as well. Pretty good summary and analysis.

#910 9 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

That's how they almost got me to spend so of my moldy money, almost.

Open your wallet and knock off the dust Honch! Come on....

#911 9 years ago

U know, UL testing hasn't even happened yet. That's another bunch of time when he finished a working prototype. Send the game off for testing is big money and more time.

#912 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

U know, UL testing hasn't even happened yet. That's another bunch of time when he finished a working prototype. Send the game off for testing is big money and more time.

See JJP and PPS..........

Here's an idea: John meet Jack, Jack meet John. John: "I hear you jettisoned your designer Balcer last year. I have pins, need production"

#913 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Here's an idea: John meet Jack, Jack meet John. John: "I hear you jettisoned your designer Balcer last year. I have pins, need production"

That would be fantastic for all involved.

#914 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Ice that idea just made me do this......

#915 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Ice that idea just made me do this......
» YouTube video

That's hilarious Sean, it'll never happen because it makes too much sense!

#916 9 years ago

Not to be such a skeptic... but does the blog post by Jpop really change anything?
I mean yeah.. he admitted being shamed by all the new "real" product and he basically needs to get his act together.. but an apology? an empty promise?
After this many years.. shouldn't buyers expect a more concrete/affirmative change in direction (Jpop has a epiphany) and immediately asks a professional to get his concept /parts out of the door... ala Stern?

#917 9 years ago

Fuck no

#918 9 years ago

Ironically more people have posted in this thread than Jpop is making games, so I'm not sure the topic matters to most of us. It was a high risk / high reward preorder from the outset, and I doubt today's market would support another blind $17k NIB preorder game... but I wouldn't bet against it.

#919 9 years ago
Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Not to be such a skeptic... but does the blog post by Jpop really change anything?
I mean yeah.. he admitted being shamed by all the new "real" product and he basically needs to get his act together.. but an apology? an empty promise?
After this many years.. shouldn't buyers expect a more concrete/affirmative change in direction (Jpop has a epiphany) and immediately asks a professional to get his concept /parts out of the door... ala Stern?

He never brought up the money situation. So the question still remains: does he have the money to produce these three games?

And why is he even working on two games at once? Who does that?

#920 9 years ago
Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

He definitely didn't answer all the questions, but he has been producing a flood of info on the owner blog that is showing cool stuff we haven't seen and shedding a light on progress we didn't know was happening. Don't expect to get continually updated now that owners are feeling pacified.

I still have some questions about true status, dates, etc. However, I think John is showing more of his hand to owners, which he should have done all along, because of the "Lebowski Effect" as he put it. I hope he answers all the questions soon, but I'm pleased to see what he's shown in the last few days.

#921 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

He definitely didn't answer all the questions, but he has been producing a flood of info on the owner blog that is showing cool stuff we haven't seen and shedding a light on progress we didn't know was happening. Don't expect to get continually updated now that owners are feeling pacified.
I still have some questions about true status, dates, etc. However, I think John is showing more of his hand to owners, which he should have done all along, because of the "Lebowski Effect" as he put it. I hope he answers all the questions soon, but I'm pleased to see what he's shown in the last few days.

Excellent!

#922 9 years ago

24 hours is a long time on Pinside, all of this blew up just a couple of days ago, so we'll see. He said getting kicked in the balls was hard but needed.

The owners are temporarily pacified by John's post and a couple of bits if news and a promise to answer the questions. I'll get my steel-toed boots on for the next round but am extending some time for him to prepare whatever it is he is going to present us, since I am still a customer, a concerned one, but one who wants his game first and foremost and wants this to work out. I'm not doing this to be a shit disturber for no reason.

#923 9 years ago

Just Curious. Is Ben Heck still involved with this project? I haven't heard his name mentioned with this project in a long time.

#924 9 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Just Curious. Is Ben Heck still involved with this project? I haven't heard his name mentioned with this project in a long time.

Nope.

#925 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If this happened it would be JJP game #4 at the very least.. and I'd like to think that we'll see a completed game from Zidware before JJP game #4 is shipping. Who knows though!

#926 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

24 hours is a long time on Pinside, all of this blew up just a couple of days ago, so we'll see. He said getting kicked in the balls was hard but needed.
The owners are temporarily pacified by John's post and a couple of bits if news and a promise to answer the questions. I'll get my steel-toed boots on for the next round but am extending some time for him to prepare whatever it is he is going to present us, since I am still a customer, a concerned one, but one who wants his game first and foremost and wants this to work out. I'm not doing this to be a shit disturber for no reason.

More detail posted on John's RAZA blog since Expo than in quite a while... I think the curtain parted in a bit of a reality shock. The details he's posted on MG and RAZA progress, timeline, game programming and board design and additional members to the development team are all welcome details. He's promised more to the owners in the coming days. Good news for owners who have been waiting a long time.

#928 9 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

More detail posted on John's RAZA blog since Expo than in quite a while... I think the curtain parted in a bit of a reality shock. The details he's posted on MG and RAZA progress, timeline, game programming and board design and additional members to the development team are all welcome details. He's promised more to the owners in the coming days. Good news for owners who have been waiting a long time.

It sounds like we are very close to an MG reveal as well

#929 9 years ago

I wish I had enough money. MG is just too rich for my blood.

$16k right?

#932 9 years ago

All good news.. if MG is really near ready and a real plan is specified production.. I would be happy to help him out... to get me one!

#933 9 years ago

I would jump in line if he extends the count and I don't have to wait another two years for mg

#934 9 years ago

As much as I love zombies (I'm in on RAZA), I like the magic theme more than Jpop's version of zombies. That said, I just can't justify $17K for a toy. The overwhelming majority of pinball machines are not "worth" anything close to what we spend on them, so there is a level of idiocy we all have paying this much for toys. I just have to draw the line on insanity somewhere, and apparently it must be at $10K.

#935 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

As much as I love zombies (I'm in on RAZA), I like the magic theme more than Jpop's version of zombies. That said, I just can't justify $17K for a toy. The overwhelming majority of pinball machines are not "worth" anything close to what we spend on them, so there is a level of idiocy we all have paying this much for toys. I just have to draw the line on insanity somewhere, and apparently it must be at $10K.

So true, at the time Xmle was $6600 so having a $10k game RAZA was high but now with TWD LE, STLE, MMR and TH at or near $8k and TBL pushing $9k (which is a closer comparison to RAZA anyway) $10k almost sounds about right.

$17k is a lot of cabbage, as in that I bought Tron, IM and Xmle for that same amount.

#936 9 years ago

Happy to report John gets "the Lebowski effect" as he calls it on the blog

He's announced new team members and brought on a much needed "project manager" to help him organize production, timelines, etc

MG "on a rug" reveal in Dec. Good to know he still has a sense of humor after the beating he took. And then RAZA shortly thereafter.

Here is hoping he can create the "Jpop effect"

Yes I will be paying RD for a case of beer!

2015 is gonna be a great pin yr

#937 9 years ago

I wonder what would have happened if jpop had the games at TBL level (flipping games with alpha software but completed artwork) and was able to show them at this year's expo? HE would have been the belle of the ball.

expo 2015 will have Pat Lawlar's new game, likely DP #2, Heighway #2 and maybe #3, Stern with who knows what, P3. Harder and harder to stand out.

Just seems this 2014 expo was a missed opportunity, but if nothing else it hammered home a large point and hopefully we will get our games well before expo '15.

#938 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I wonder what would have happened if jpop had the games at TBL level (flipping games with alpha software but completed artwork) and was able to show them at this year's expo? HE would have been the belle of the ball.
expo 2015 will have Pat Lawlar's new game, likely DP #2, Heighway #2 and maybe #3, Stern with who knows what, P3. Harder and harder to stand out.
Just seems this 2014 expo was a missed opportunity, but if nothing else it hammered home a large point and hopefully we will get our games well before expo '15.

His magic girl will still be better then anything out looks wise. Doesn't really matter cause he's not mass producing anything. It will just be a show off fest for those not on order and a drool fest for those waiting...

#939 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

MG "on a rug" reveal in Dec.

This is great! Will it be a public unveiling at a show (similar to the Expo reveal of TBL)?

#940 9 years ago

I don't think there are any shows in December. Likely private reveal to the buyers. Then it will be up to jpop if they can release any pictures or info. Based on the shit he took I don't think jpop would use pinside as a outlet for reveal work. My only guess other then private would be a pinball news reveal

#941 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Here is hoping he can create the "Jpop effect"

Yes I will be paying RD for a case of beer!

2015 is gonna be a great pin yr

I must admit, a JPOP reveal is probably the most interesting and fascinating story in pinball. Even those of us not in on his games have a deep desire to see why there is so much secrecy in his operation.

#942 9 years ago

What? Willy Wonka is opening his factory up for those lucky enough to have the "golden ticket", or is this a general for all to see thing?

#943 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

or is this a general for all to see thing?

Doubt it. It sounds like the buyers barely (up until now) knew what was going on.

#944 9 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Even those of us not in on his games have a deep desire to see why there is so much secrecy in his operation.

And its been gut wrenching for those of us that have been in since the beginning. This is disposable income but trust me, when/if we get our games, we will have earned them.

#945 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

is this a general for all to see thing?

If it is not for all to see then the meaning of "the lebowski effect" is not truly understood.

#946 9 years ago

They have to show the machines sometime.

#947 9 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Doubt it. It sounds like the buyers barely (up until now) knew what was going on.

I'm a buyer and I know nothing! ...... probably my fault

#948 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

And its been gut wrenching for those of us that have been in since the beginning. This is disposable income but trust me, when/if we get our games, we will have earned them.

And you deserve it when it comes to fruition. I wish I had the intestinal fortitude to stick it out like you guys. I hope it's everything and more than you hoped for!

#949 9 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

If it is not for all to see then the meaning of "the lebowski effect" is not truly understood.

I disagree with JPOP's take on the Lewbowski Effect or perhaps I don't fully understand his interpretation. To me the Lewbowski Effect in this context means, under promise and over deliver. Ain't nothing new but that's what Dutch Pinball showed me.

But whatever. I spoke with John and he is really motivated by all of this. The December reveal will be a pivotal moment.

#950 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

This is disposable income but trust me, when/if we get our games, we will have earned them.

No question about it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 49.99
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mclean, VA
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!
Other
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Plastics
Machine - For Sale
Corona, CA
Playfield - Other
RavSpec
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements
Pinball Machine
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
There are 24,471 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 490.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.