(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,471 posts
  • 928 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

streamberry (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,471 posts in this topic. You are on page 180 of 490.
#8951 8 years ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

Has this video been posted? It seems like it's a snippet from the Adobe feature but I don't remember these scenes being included in the original video.
» Vimeo video

Thanks for the share! How did you find the video again? Not sure I understood what you mean by Adobe feature. An interesting view nonetheless.

#8952 8 years ago

The video was the second of 2 released by Adobe to promote their products.

Sad thing was at the time it was way more of the machines than we had ever seen previous, and second the only "flipping" we saw was an EM.

#8953 8 years ago
Quoted from nintendo:

How did you find the video again? Not sure I understood what you mean by Adobe feature.

The video came from this link which also features another video about the artist (Zombie Yeti):
http://inspire.adobe.com/2014/12/18/zombies_yetis_pinball.html

#8954 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The video was the second of 2 released by Adobe to promote their products.
Sad thing was at the time it was way more of the machines than we had ever seen previous, and second the only "flipping" we saw was an EM.

Any idea when this was video was shot? Also who is that guy with him? Zombie yeti?

#8955 8 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Also who is that guy with him? Zombie yeti?

Yes, aka Jeremy Packer.

#8956 8 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

New video on the pinball inventor facebook page showing that they have to have custom glass because the regular glass is about three inches too short for his new cabinets.

I recall Dennis Nordman commenting in a White Water thread on why the ball hits the glass:

Quoted from DennisNordman:

The story about not putting glass on until production is not true. We would NEVER let a game get all the way to production without testing it with the glass in place. Besides that, it's too noisy without the glass and it's easier to tune the sounds and music with the glass on.

I guess Jpop should have paid more attention back then

#8957 8 years ago

Those two Adobe videos were published about 5 months ago, and the link first appeared on this thread back in December 2014...

Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

Wanna see some MG and AIW head ove there and check it out.
http://inspire.adobe.com/2014/12/18/zombies_yetis_pinball.html

#8958 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Ok seriously this is getting petty! Who gives a F$&k if you can't use a socket wrench to tighten the legs. As for things to slam JPOP about this doesn't even make the top 1000 list IMHO!

I didn't mean to be petty. I just thought that tradeoff wasn't worth the aesthetic look that he achieved, as I don't think spiked legbolts fit with the look of the game. I agree, it's not a huge deal, if you don't like em, just throw regular ones on, but I felt that it spoke to the bigger issue of him purposefully choosing custom, non-standard parts when they had little or no advantage over standard widely available parts.

#8959 8 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

The only big show I went to last year was Southern Fried Gaming Expo and I saw neither AMH or Wooly.

It is impossible for any manufacturer to hit every show.

If you want to see them at a show you are attending. Have the organizers get in touch with the manufacturer and see what is needed to make it happen.

Might be freight for game(s) free room or something. But find out what it would take.

LTG : )™

#8960 8 years ago

Here's a jump back in the thread to when the adobe video first showed up and the discussion which followed:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/47#post-2118572

#8961 8 years ago
#8962 8 years ago

This is a gorgeous game. Very reminiscent of CV, TOTAN, and TOM. I would love to buy one if Stern or some other pinball manufacturer takes over the project and brings it to fruition.

#8963 8 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

This is a gorgeous game. Very reminiscent of CV, TOTAN, and TOM. I would love to buy one if Stern or some other pinball manufacturer takes over the project and brings it to fruition.

Apparently this is the goal. But it's not going to happen as this is a toxic investment

#8964 8 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

Forget about using a socket wrench to get your legs on and off.

Use a deep well socket?

#8965 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballkim:

Use a deep well socket?

Sales 101 Establish a need. Reality= Nobody needs those bolts and this is just silly 4 years later.

I want my game, but there is almost equal opportunity that Obama runs for a third term. It's just sad at this point.

#8966 8 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Apparently this is the goal. But it's not going to happen as this is a toxic investment

Quoted from pinballkim:

Use a deep well socket?

we need a frivolous & careless investor with deep well pockets

#8967 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Long haired hippie.

HIPPIES.jpgHIPPIES.jpg

#8968 8 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

we need a frivolous & careless investor with deep well pockets

Or just someone with a bank roll, who loves pinball, & doesn't want to see all the pre-order people get screwed because JPop is a great designer, but shitty business man. If only there was someone like that... Or is there already?

#8969 8 years ago

Magic girl is looking great. hopefully all the toys work well and are fun features. Toys are one thing, but having them be fun, is totally another.

#8970 8 years ago

Speaking of ZombieYeti, I haven't seen him around lately...

#8971 8 years ago

Yeti is around busy doing what he does best! Art work. This guy is one of the best out there, just saw his next piece of work and almost fell over. It's soooo good.

#8972 8 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

That was a red flag for me with Skit-B. Why are they dragging the game, which is already behind schedule, to every show under the sun when it's already sold out and has to be costing them a couple thousand minimum per show to do so? And on top of that, it went down at almost every show! Each show appearance was hurting their reputation.
The most optimistic conclusion is incompetence. The realistic conclusion is they're stalling for some reason.

In the same vein, there's no reason JPop should be looking for investors and marketing people and bringing cabinets to shows when all of his games have all been sold out for years.

#8973 8 years ago

The saddest thing about this and Skit-B is there is well over a million dollars that could have gone to good pinball companies. Imagine what that could do for the manufacturers who are actually making games, part suppliers, even modders.

#8974 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

there's no reason JPop should be looking for investors and marketing people and bringing cabinets to shows when all of his games have all been sold out for years.

Maybe he's looking for new buyers to hold the bag (I mean take over previous angry buyer's spots) to give him another 4 years to finish magic girl and RAZA.

#8975 8 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

The saddest thing about this and Skit-B is there is well over a million dollars that could have gone to good pinball companies. Imagine what that could do for the manufacturers who are actually making games, part suppliers, even modders.

Wooly pre-sales might have gone a bit better.

#8976 8 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Or just someone with a bank roll, who loves pinball, & doesn't want to see all the pre-order people get screwed because JPop is a great designer, but shitty business man. If only there was someone like that... Or is there already?

So you're saying the answer is a second shitty businessman?

#8977 8 years ago

Magic Girl:Jpop's name in prison

#8978 8 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Magic Girl:Jpop's name in prison

Now that's a LOL!

rd.

#8979 8 years ago

The sad thing about this whole debacle is it was completely avoidable.

The writing has been on the wall a long time. John refused to listen to anyone other than the ones blowing smoke, and a lot of good those people did.

The big "shop tour", dazzling with lights, art revisions, hinges and vent holes. No hard questions allowed about cash burn, BOM, timetables and budgets.

#8980 8 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

If said person were to step up they would be a pinside hero for looking out for their fellow pinheads.

#8981 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

If said person were to step up they would be a pinside hero for looking out for their fellow pinheads.

To what end though? If john were given a blank check he still would take years. There is a good chance he would keep scaring people off which would just drag this out longer. In the end, not even sure it would be fun. Then again so pretty to look at :/

JPop track record:
WCS94 - Taken Over
TOM - Crappy Rules
Totan - Crappy Rules
CV - Fun

#8982 8 years ago

Wouldn't it be amazing if someone put a CCC amount of work into a TOM code re-write, and it was an approved release with a FAST WPC 2.0 brain swap?

#8983 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Wouldn't it be amazing if someone put a CCC amount of work into a TOM code re-write, and it was an approved release with a FAST WPC 2.0 brain swap?

As long as it is PAPA approved and becomes ToM's competition standard, Yes! Otherwise, no.

#8984 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Instant it is not just a rom upgrade you limit the number of people who will use it. If pps would sit down and say we need x amount to pay a programmer to fix the original code it would be more viable.

#8985 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Only if it includes a FAST daughterboard controlled liger toy.

#8986 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

[If] it is not just a rom upgrade you limit the number of people who will use it. If pps would sit down and say we need x amount to pay a programmer to fix the original code it would be more viable.

It totally agree with this statement.

If PPS were to release a simple, official ROM upgrade then the adoption rate with be MUCH higher. If the new software requires a whole new board to be installed in the game and cost hundreds of dollars then this will essentially "fracture the market" and I think this will make the adoption of these new rules at tournaments (like PAPA) be very low.

#8987 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

If john were given a blank check he still would take years

reminds me of the SNL skit they did 7 years ago about the auto industry
https://djkonservo.wordpress.com/2008/11/24/saturday-night-live-cspan-auto-bailout-skit/

"this proposal is specific.. On january 1st we will request another 25 billion. On June 15th, we will ask for 50 billion. In September, we will ask for another 100 billion"

#8988 8 years ago

I think I can count on one hand the number of people qualified to program a WPC-era game, and all of them are gainfully employed elsewhere.

Also, keep in mind that if it's just a ROM upgrade, they'd still be working within the limitations of the system itself, now over 20 years old. The allure of a P-ROC upgrade like BoP 2.0 is getting the colour screen and fancy rules that more processing power and RAM offers.

#8989 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Also, keep in mind that if it's just a ROM upgrade, they'd still be working within the limitations of the system itself, now over 20 years old. The allure of a P-ROC upgrade like BoP 2.0 is getting the colour screen and fancy rules that more processing power and RAM offers.

Agreed, old architecture is limiting, but PROC is an expensive piece of hardware to update rules. Great system for creating something from scratch, updating an existing pin not so much (just look at the cost of BOP 2.0, the upgrade cost as much as the pinball itself. Stern isn't ever going to separately sell their hardware, but you almost need a system like that.. Or maybe if planetary sold their MMr beaglebone system (pretty sure this is different than Stern's spike system, but I could be wrong). A tiny cheap linux system ($9 CHIP computer), and then a separate driverboard that JUST drives coils, magnets, motors and lamps. I think the Pinheck board was estimated to cost $300, but it has way more bells and whistles than you'd ever want or need (but is still cheaper than PROC apples to apples).

#8990 8 years ago

Well, P-ROC is definitely the priciest option, but right now it's the only option. FAST is still vapourware, PinHeck is pretty much exclusive to Spooky.

One guy was working on a single-board solution but I haven't heard anything about it lately.

#8991 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

PinHeck is pretty much exclusive to Spooky

No, you can buy the boards.. Heck, it's open source so you can download the gerber files and spin your own boards as long as you don't mind soldering. But there still isn't completed documenation on how to program or wire it.

#8992 8 years ago

That's what I mean, it's not exactly plug and play.

#8993 8 years ago

any show organizer allowing Jpop to hold a seminar in which he asks for preorders, for any of his games, should be held accountable for any order taken there.

#8994 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

No, you can buy the boards.. Heck, it's open source so you can download the gerber files and spin your own boards as long as you don't mind soldering. But there still isn't completed documenation on how to program or wire it.

But the code is open source as well, so a lot could probably be learned from that.

#8995 8 years ago

Actually, we should try to organize a seminar with Popaduik. That way, all the buyers will know ahead of time where he is and at what time so they can gather and ask him some questions in person.

I doubt anyone would call him out at a show if he was just walking around, but they'd be way more vocal in a seminar setting!

#8996 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Actually, we should try to organize a seminar with Popaduik. That way, all the buyers will know ahead of time where he is and at what time so they can gather and ask him some questions in person.
I doubt anyone would call him out at a show if he was just walking around, but they'd be way more vocal in a seminar setting!

I doubt he can go to a show without getting called out.

500x1000px-LL-ad231d0c_tumblr_m7jjvkXlXz1rrov60o1_500.gif500x1000px-LL-ad231d0c_tumblr_m7jjvkXlXz1rrov60o1_500.gif

#8997 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I think I can count on one hand the number of people qualified to program a WPC-era game, and all of them are gainfully employed elsewhere.
Also, keep in mind that if it's just a ROM upgrade, they'd still be working within the limitations of the system itself, now over 20 years old.

ChadH has done DE System 3 without Source code. I very seriously considered doing something similar to BF, but opted to sell it instead. Were the source available with the original tools WPC would be difficult, but much easier. Free WPC makes doing something like tom very realistic.

The problem isn't that there are few people qualified. Programmers are everywhere. Problem is motivation or lack there of. I get paid a good salary to code. Its awesome. Great really. Love it to bits. Sitting down and rewriting using free wpc or hacking roms pays nothing. Hundreds of hours of time that I could spend in the gym, practicing hurling, seeing my gf, reading, working on pinball, and even playing pinball gone for such an endeavor.

After an 8+ hour day of coding at work do you really want to come home and do the same thing? I love working on my machines to get away from computer screens. The only way a game is getting hacked or rewritten by a programmer is if they just love the game to bits or they want a pet project which nets nothing in the workplace. Sorry, but monetarily if I want a pet project its better to pick something that correlates with potential jobs. Assembly for an archaic pc architecture isn't it. The latest microsoft certification? Studying Big Data? Those things lead to $$$$$. That money can in turn buy more machines which don't need these software fixes.

As far as the systems themselves being too old? TOM isn't boring because the cpu isn't fast enough or it lacks ram. Are you saying TZ is too shallow? It has the same CPU driving it as BOP.

Most of these games need tweaking, not complete overhauls. BOP was written early in the life of WPC and its rules are a product of its time. The DE SW rewrite and JP rewrite highlight the limits of those systems, but it is a glorified system 11.

#8998 8 years ago
Quoted from Strohz:

I recall Dennis Nordman commenting in a White Water thread on why the ball hits the glass:

I guess Jpop should have paid more attention back then

Not really.... he's in the same early stage of production Nordman's talking about.

#8999 8 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

Not really.... he's in the same early stage of production Nordman's talking about.

You don't get to be in the "early stage of production" for 3+ years.

#9000 8 years ago

I really CANNOT believe nobody has called out a couple specific statements from that video!

In video 2 (the one that starts with the EM being played):

1. @2:53-3:02 - the most ironic (and probably bullshit) statement about this entire project. John the voice of reason?!?

2. @1:50-1:56 - undoubtedly how John justifies treating us all like dirt

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Corona, CA
$ 49.99
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements
Pinball Machine
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Plastics
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mclean, VA
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
There are 24,471 posts in this topic. You are on page 180 of 490.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/180 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.