(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,545 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 178 of 491.
#8851 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The return ramps are what he milled and they look straightforward. But the curved loop ramp? I pity da fool that has to make a mold for that!

Or that has to PAY for it...

#8852 8 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

Would it be possible to print up the 3d modeled mold, clean it/smooth it, make a plaster negative, then a final aluminum positive kinda like classical bronze statues were made?

Probably. I was watching a lot of aluminum casting videos last week for a reference for a project I have. A little acetone and you can smooth out extrusion style printed parts pretty nicely.

#8853 8 years ago

Hold on, so those return lanes we saw in aluminum, there are other parts that still don't exist as anything other than paper?

Is there a hope in hell of seeing a "completed" game any time soon? What was the point of getting the aluminum ramp molds made if there are other parts that aren't done?

#8854 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Hold on, so those return lanes we saw in aluminum, there are other parts that still don't exist as anything other than paper?

It certainly looks like it according to the paper pieces on the playfield pic.

My big question has always been: Will you even SEE the display in the back with all that rampage all up in front of it? Or has it pretty much been relegated to a "live" backboard?

#8855 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

What was the point of getting the aluminum ramp molds made if there are other parts that aren't done?

I'm going to answer my own question:

The point is so in a month Jpop will post video of taking delivery of the "final" ramps, holding the ramps, showing them, maybe a photo of the lower playfield with the ramps installed... but still no playable game.

#8856 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Is there a hope in hell of seeing a "completed" game any time soon? What was the point of getting the aluminum ramp molds made if there are other parts that aren't done?

Because you have to start somewhere.. If he'd done the reverse would it have made a difference?

#8857 8 years ago

From the photo I saw before it was removed, yes there is a middle "corkscrew ramp" that feeds [the ramps he milled]

Everything else looked in place (laser-cut flat PETG, no problem) but yeah that last twisted ramp, not sure how you'd vacuum form that sucker.

Should probably be a plastic entry ramp that turns into a habitrail. John likes to say "nobody thought the TOTAN ramp would work either" but man, this REALLY looks like a long shot to get the ball to the top.

#8858 8 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

My big question has always been: Will you even SEE the display in the back with all that rampage all up in front of it? Or has it pretty much been relegated to a "live" backboard?

Haha i was wondering the same thing..

I still don't get why people are taking down the pf photos

#8859 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

but man, this REALLY looks like a long shot to get the ball to the top.

The other thing I thought of when I saw the huge corkscrew ramp is that it'll likely take blue flipper coils to get the ball up that thing, which means, parts breakage everywhere else on the playfield!

#8860 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Because you have to start somewhere.. If he'd done the reverse would it had made a difference?

Having to "start" somewhere isn't how this is being presented. John has been pitching these recent moves as completing his game, getting it ready to go on the road at shows and for production.

That there is a major component not done, or even being close to done, is not how this is being pitched.

He was trying to make the impression that he was going to show up somewhere with his game next month and people were going to play it. Magic Girl has been falsely presented as being "done" since last December with his big "reveal". Hearing about one thing after the next that is not even being close to done after being told all these things is what is getting me upset.

#8861 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

He was trying to make the impression that he was going to show up somewhere with his game next month and people were going to play it.

If he won't drag MG out to Chicago or MGC, then why would he risk shipping it across the country? My guess is he's heading West since that's the only place he can show up "without" an MG and nobody will be that disappointed for hearing that John didn't want to risk shipping it.

#8862 8 years ago

GLM we had that issue with AMH as well. Required bigger coils to get balls up the "jump ramp" and caused the game to be faster and more difficult as a whole. Should have ditched the jump ramp to begin with.

You can shoot a ball on a paper ramp. If that's what it takes to have a game flipping for a show or investor, so be it!

People would much rather play a game with an unfinished ramp than look at an empty cabinet.

#8863 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Having to "start" somewhere isn't how this is being presented. John has been pitching these recent moves as completing his game, getting it ready to go on the road at shows and for production.
That there is a major component not done, or even being close to done, is not how this is being pitched.
He was trying to make the impression that he was going to show up somewhere with his game next month and people were going to play it. Magic Girl has been falsely presented as being "done" since last December with his big "reveal". Hearing about one thing after the next that is not even being close to done after being told all these things is what is getting me upset.

Fair enough, but we don't know where he's at with development of that main spiral component .. we don't even know when this picture was taken.

Anyway my point is, if you're going to speculate then you need to in both directions

#8864 8 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

Quoted from frolic:

The point is so in a month Jpop will post video of taking delivery of the "final" ramps, holding the ramps, showing them, maybe a photo of the lower playfield with the ramps installed... but still no playable game.

All this talk sounds like debating if the Loc Ness Monster is brown or black or some other color.

#8865 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

All this talk sounds like debating if the Loc Ness Monster is brown or black or some other color.

Everybody knows it's multi-colored with hues of blue, purple, green. Only seen in partial shots, never complete. Oh, you mean Nellie...

#8866 8 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

Everybody knows it's multi-colored with hues of blue, purple, green. Only seen in partial shots, never complete. Oh, you mean Nellie...

It's interesting that two guys (you Tony and Ben) that I've never heard say anything publicly bad about anyone are so pissed at John. Not giving either of you a hard time about it. It's just interesting that John pissed off two very even-keel tech guys to this point. Let this be a lesson to anyone thinking of working with John.

#8867 8 years ago

I just grabbed a couple shots from the Adobe video of the ramp assembly/thing. I've seen the game in person several times. Compared to any other pinball game I have ever seen, it is very tall and dominates the back half of the game. The main spiral ramp will require some major tooling and work to produce properly. I never saw it actually work.

Spiral-ramp.jpgSpiral-ramp.jpg Spiral-ramp-2.jpgSpiral-ramp-2.jpg
#8868 8 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

I just grabbed a couple shots from the Adobe video of the ramp assembly/thing. I've seen the game in person several times. Compared to any other pinball game I have ever seen, it is very tall and dominates the back half of the game. The main spiral ramp will require some major tooling and work to produce properly. I never saw it actually work.

Spiral-ramp.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
Spiral-ramp-2.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

The ramp might require a turbo charger like I500 or magnet propulsion to make it all the way up.

#8869 8 years ago

I will be willing to bet that ramp is probably shootable. Based on it's position and curvature, with strong flippers you should *just* be able to make it. Forget about less-then-ideal unshopped flippers though.

If you look closely, it's still going up the ramp (rising) on the right side of it's initial path, but that rise is going back towards the front of the playfield. That rise won't really be rising much, it will begin to flatten out but still technically be "rising" (taking the 6.5 slope into account) so it's not *that* steep if at all there. There is a little bit of a rise again on the upper left part of the loop around but the ball could keep momentum via the circular forces swooping around the downward motion in the front of the ramp's loop.

pfs.pngpfs.png

pfs2.pngpfs2.png
#8870 8 years ago

The ramp in the above two pictures looks different than the one that was posted previously. Didn't save a copy of it, so I'm trying to remember what the difference was (if any).

#8871 8 years ago

Can anyone shoot me the OH NOES GREAT HARM pic so I can see WTH everyone is discussing?

#8872 8 years ago

The way it can work without special powerful coils is the same technique as used on the Totan ramp,

The ramp will have a decreasing radius as it get towards the center. This in effect adds momentum similar to a whirlpool effect which can increase the speed of the ball.

Yes I know a whirlpool is created by both gravity and the coriolis effect thats why I said similar!

#8873 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Can anyone shoot me the OH NOES GREAT HARM pic so I can see WTH everyone is discussing?

I would like to see it, as well. Any news on the letter/memo that StevenP was editing? It ahs been well over a week since it was reported here. Did I miss it somehow?

#8874 8 years ago

Here is the picture. Great Harm abounds.

IMG_1308.JPGIMG_1308.JPG

#8875 8 years ago

I brightened it up in I photo so that we can see more detail

405548-i.jpg405548-i.jpg
#8876 8 years ago

Latest art revision for RAZA:

image.jpgimage.jpg

#8877 8 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

It's interesting that two guys (you Tony and Ben) that I've never heard say anything publicly bad about anyone are so pissed at John. Not giving either of you a hard time about it. It's just interesting that John pissed off two very even-keel tech guys to this point. Let this be a lesson to anyone thinking of working with John.

When you don't get paid, it changes things.
Does anybody think a vendor would open a new invoice for Jpop - ever again?

#8878 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

IMG_1308.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Its insane to me that so much finishing touches have been made to playfield art and cabinets and huge parts of the game aren't even engineered. That people were reporting this game as "near complete" 6 months ago or even last week is nuts.

#8879 8 years ago

Am I the only one that thinks the MG playfield is a cluttered, convoluted mess? I've never liked the way this looks to play with that monstrosity in the middle. I was always more hopeful RAZA (the game I'm in on) would be a better player.

This seems like a classic case of over-engineering something to live up to his "cool, innovative ramp and magnet guy" reputation at the expense of the game. If I wanted to see that little of what I can shoot on the upper playfield, I'd get a P2K or a Popeye.

#8880 8 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Am I the only one that thinks the MG playfield is a cluttered, convoluted mess? I've never liked the way this looks to play with that monstrosity in the middle. I was always more hopeful RAZA (the game I'm in on) would be a better player.
This seems like a classic case of over-engineering something to live up to his "cool, innovative ramp and magnet guy" reputation at the expense of the game. If I wanted to see that little of what I can shoot on the upper playfield, I'd get a P2K or a Popeye.

Reminds me of JD. I always though you *can* put too much stuff, toys, crap into an area this looks cluttered.

With RAZA John was spitballing so many toys etc... I would be concerned that it too will become a hoarder situation.

#8881 8 years ago

The spiral ramp looks to have a gap / hole to drop the ball into the right ramp.

So maybe the spiral ramp can be done in 2 pieces? Still, a lot more complicated than the 2 "flat" ramps he milled.

Still, ramps aside, the rest of it seems to be there so... hope?

#8882 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Still, ramps aside, the rest of it seems to be there so... hope?

Nope... Code.

#8883 8 years ago

It's starting to remind me of another game that had a custom sized play field, custom cabinet and custom glass. Had to put the DMD in a custom location so people could see it.

Pinball Circus.jpgPinball Circus.jpg
#8884 8 years ago

This is getting towards the Pinball Circuis height. But with the circ, it was intended that way. Hopefully the pf glass wont slide down like a guillotine.

#8885 8 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

Hopefully the pf glass wont slide down like a guillotine.

Causing great harm?

#8886 8 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I'm with you Cheeks, great art work job by Zombie Yeti and John, I actually love that part, but don't like the cluttered look.

Maybe without the cardboard ramps look it will come together differently but I don't think so. Always said it would be a piece of art. Still clueless as to how it will shoot and play, although not too promising for me by the looks of it.

The swirly return ramps on both sides are too much.

Still, it will be a shame if none of these pins ever get built.

4 years in the making? I don't get it. Maybe there is more than meets the eye here?

#8887 8 years ago

Almost looks like there's a hole up the middle with some magnets at play to elevate the ball up to the top.

#8888 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The swirly return ramps on both sides are too much.

All I can think of when I see both the wiggle ramps and that big long, steep spiral is "wow, this is going to play slow".

#8889 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

All I can think of when I see both the wiggle ramps and that big long, steep spiral is "wow, this is going to play slow".

Cyclone phoned ... It wants its wiggle ramps back.

rd.

#8890 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Cyclone phoned ... It wants its wiggle ramps back.
rd.

Too funny. Plus, it did have a clown with a wheel on the backglass:

backglass_sm.jpgbackglass_sm.jpg
#8891 8 years ago

FWIW Jinx was the name of the cat in Pinball Magic. Not that it matters, just found it interesting.

Chris

#8892 8 years ago

Didn't John apply for a patent concerning a pinball "rolling-up" and/or somehow interacting with the LCD screen in the back of the cabinet? I remember seeing postings about that here on Pinside a long time ago, and I assumed John planned on using that idea on MG. So far, I haven't seen anything that would indicate he's using that idea on MG after all. Maybe he was saving it for RAZA or AIW or perhaps P3 put an end to that idea altogether? Then again, maybe the idea was to implement it on the Pussycat Bowling pin? Well, that could actually make sense! Shoot the ball up a curved/clear ramp which overlays the LCD screen in the back of the cabinet. You would use the pinball to "bowl" at virtual bowling pins displayed on the LCD screen?

Whatever the case, John needs to focus on a "complete" flipping MG and nothing else at this point. Whether that will make any difference this late into the fiasco, I'm not sure. This whole mess is so discouraging, but I hold out hope anyone who has sent JPop money will somehow end up with a pin in the end.

#8893 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptK:

I hold out hope anyone who has sent JPop money will somehow end up with a pin in the end.

Ditto's

#8894 8 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Jinx was the name of the cat in Pinball Magic.

Jinx was the name of the cat in Meet the Parents.

Connection ?!

#8895 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

IMG_1308.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

3 ramps, a lot of fuckin magnets, zero drop targets, two small stand up targets?

#8896 8 years ago

Never mind I see more now. Similar hocus pocus spots like tom

#8897 8 years ago

Upside down version of safe cracker spinner blocking ramp shot possibly when it's stopped

#8898 8 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

3 ramps, a lot of fuckin magnets, zero drop targets, two small stand up targets?

One ramp. Just like TOTAN: one entrance, many destinations.

#8899 8 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Upside down version of Safe Cracker spinner blocking ramp shot possibly when it's stopped

I was wondering what the heck was going on with that post in front of the ramp entrance!?! The "upside down version of the Safe Cracker spinner" might just explain what's going on there...Good Eye!

#8900 8 years ago

Seeing the rabbits continuing to block the view of the ball in the inlanes makes me wonder about whether john can play pinball or knows what pinballers want in a game. I remember back in the good old days when Ben and Charlie and Jpop all got along. There was a spooky podcast in which the three of them were playing Tom. One of the players was gorilla flipping like it was going out of style. I'm guessing it wasn't ben or Charlie. I know a great engineer can make a race car and not be able to race, but they rely on feedback from the racers and I'm not sure john has opened himself to any pinhead feedback. As soon as I saw these Ramps I thought, glad I'm in on RAZA because that looks slow.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 178 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/178 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.