(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 176 of 491.
#8751 8 years ago

Maybe John's just a genius comedian, and he's pulling this big video stunt because all of the machines have actually already been shipped!!!

Kind of like how everybody thought Scoregasm was a April Fool's joke.

#8752 8 years ago

Wow wow wow. That video would make me concerned if I was an owner regardless of all the other issues! Theatre of the absurd just got pathetic.

#8753 8 years ago

It looks like the flipper switch is/can make contact with the shooter rod.

#8754 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Sounds like he's making progress, he's going out west soon!

Yes, he discovered his glass doesn't hit the shooter rod!

#8755 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yes, he discovered his glass doesn't hit the shooter rod!

But he hasn't yet discovered the extra speakers in the cabinet will make the glass rails rattle like crazy...if he's pumping anything decent for power anti rattle tape won't fix it...

#8756 8 years ago

I have to give JPOP credit for keeping on posting; hard to criticize him for not speaking, or keeping everything secret, then jump on him when he does speak.

Also listening to his voice, and his continued joy/pride was nice, reminded me of listenting to Jpop's talk seemingly forever ago at the NW pinball and gamroom show. It was a terrific, passionate pinball presentation.

That is why it is so hard to hear he was "lucky" with the shooter rod. Looking at it seems to be too high and too far to the right. Not knowing what parts might be missing, I am happy to be wrong. But LUCKY you can get the glass on and off???

WHAAAAAAAT?

#8757 8 years ago

Could the issue with the shooter rod distance to the playfield be that the playfield does not have its hangers installed?

I changed out the lockbar cabinet assembly on a BW game and when I rested the playfield down without the hangers, it looked similar to whats seen in Johns video. Just a guess...

#8758 8 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I have to give JPOP credit for keeping on posting; hard to criticize him for not speaking, or keeping everything secret, then jump on him when he does speak.

He hardly ever posts, which is a big (one of many) reason(s) this blew up. "Keeping" might be a bit too much credit.

#8759 8 years ago
Quoted from RomstarArkanoid:

He hardly ever posts, which is a big reason this blew up. "Keeping" might be a bit too much credit.

Yeah, but this is the thirdish post in the last few weeks?

But this bit of "luck" makes me wonder even more what the odds are of the ramps turning out perfect on the first go. Oh well. If he is hauling his game for the Pacific NW show, I can see in person.

#8760 8 years ago

I hope he keeps it up, but he has a poor track record which makes me not have much faith.

#8761 8 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Yeah, but this is the thirdish post in the last few weeks?
But this bit of "luck" makes me wonder even more what the odds are of the ramps turning out perfect on the first go. Oh well. If he is hauling his game for the Pacific NW show, I can see in person.

he will probably freak out when cameras come out

#8762 8 years ago

Should we spoil the public reveal since owners already have the pic of the play field with paper ramps

#8763 8 years ago

Lockbar receiver may interfere with high/odd placement of the plunger (he holds up the lockdown bar, but there's no receiver).

I also am surprised that he doesn't intend to make a custom piece of lexan to fill the gap between the extended length of the cabinet and where the standard length glass stops. It looks like (but who can tell from these pictures) that you could put I highly ornate (lazer etched, perhaps) piece of plexi that has a glass lip along one edge and put it either at the head or down at the apron and not obscure the view of anything. Then folks could get their standard glass, invisiglass, etc. and it might even look cool..? I can't think how you'd deal with the seam where the glass and lexan meets without it looking visually off though...

I'm sure people will feel the need to respond that there's no machine so it's pointless to be so pragmatic about this. I hear that. fair enough, but at least we have something constructive to discuss for a change.

#8764 8 years ago

The higher slope on normal DMD glass compared to EMs causes more reflections of lighting, etc to be seen. I wonder how this even higher slope will affect things. A lot of people have lighting set at just the right position to be out of sight in reflections and the higher slope will bring the lights into view.

#8765 8 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Lockbar receiver may interfere with high/odd placement of the plunger (he holds up the lockdown bar, but there's no receiver).
I also am surprised that he doesn't intend to make a custom piece of lexan to fill the gap between the extended length of the cabinet and where the standard length glass stops. It looks like (but who can tell from these pictures) that you could put I highly ornate (lazer etched, perhaps) piece of plexi that has a glass lip along one edge and put it either at the head or down at the apron and not obscure the view of anything. Then folks could get their standard glass, invisiglass, etc. and it might even look cool..? I can't think how you'd deal with the seam where the glass and lexan meets without it looking visually off though...
I'm sure people will feel the need to respond that there's no machine so it's pointless to be so pragmatic about this. I hear that. fair enough, but at least we have something constructive to discuss for a change.

huh.jpeghuh.jpeg
#8766 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Right, that's what I'm shaking my head over, it's ridiculous. I could make a call now and go pick up my glass today. Done it before, it's easy. Tempered, custom size, no problem.

The places around here have to send out to have it done. Still it only takes 2-3 days.

#8767 8 years ago

That video is, literally, the definition of re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

#8768 8 years ago

This video is what I would have expected during the first 3-4 months of development not after 3-4 years.

Look at the Wooly video and those guys were *not* working 84 hrs a week on their machine.

Absolutely amazing John is at this early stage.

#8769 8 years ago

It's amazing he isn't embarrassed making these kinds of videos. Just shows how out to lunch he is and how we got to where we are.

#8770 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Absolutely amazing John is at this early stage.

It's surprising such a simple thing... I would have thought he had glass on them at Expo at least. Sheesh. This is more proof the water gets to full boil before the frogs realize.

I sure hope this trip out West is a Lebowski moment. Not holding my breath though.

#8771 8 years ago

Why does that test playfield not have inserts in it?

#8772 8 years ago

These games were advertised and pre-sold with a 2013 done/delivery date in writing by John.

We know it takes guys like JJP, DP, Heighway 1-2 years to start shipping after they reveal full prototypes my only hope is John is much farther along than he's letting on and he's planning a Stern type reveal plus immediate delivery if not these games are still 2-3 years from delivery (if ever).

#8773 8 years ago

Based on people seeing glaring issues like the shooter rod, seems impossible that these games would jump magically from first prototype to shipping game.

Look at how many prototype revisions WOZ, Hobbit, MMR, Full Throttle, etc, have had.

untested ramps that still aren't done, no one has played an actual "game" on these things other than batting a ball around an incomplete white wood.

It's a joke that it's even being presented that these games are almost done and he can manufacturer them immediately.

Seems like we're still delaying the inevitable here.

#8774 8 years ago

According to this...

http://www.pinballschool.org/enroll.html

... Pinball School is in session today!

Is anyone attending right now? Or does the NDA prevent students from even telling people they are there?

#8775 8 years ago

In my experience tempered glass can be obtained with about 1 day turnaround. But expect to pay twice as much for glass that's just a few inches longer.

It's shocking John didn't pot more forethought into spacing. He's really good at Solid works I'd assume he has an assembly of at least how the cabinet goes together. Wood, minus divet, plus ball / 2 that's where shooter rod tip goes.

Anyone attempting to save this project needs these things at minimum:

1) Project manager who kicks asses instead of kissing them
2) BOM and supplier chain
3) A full time programmer for one year
4) Audio video company for animations working with programmer
5) Someone to manufacture the games (add 1k on BOM for this)

#8776 8 years ago
#8777 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I wonder what, if anything, of what he's doing now to hustle these games out couldn't have been done a year or more ago?

He was busy watering his garden with Brawndo.

#8778 8 years ago

Just thought it was an interesting topic to discus irrespective of the game ever getting completed. That is, if you had this as a design challenge, what would you do?

But, that's fine. I'm sure there's another meme you can reply to this with

#8779 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

In my experience tempered glass can be obtained with about 1 day turnaround. But expect to pay twice as much for glass that's just a few inches longer.
It's shocking John didn't pot more forethought into spacing. He's really good at Solid works I'd assume he has an assembly of at least how the cabinet goes together. Wood, minus divet, plus ball / 2 that's where shooter rod tip goes.

And apparently: 6) a pinball designer who understands the engineering of spacing issues.

I'm concerned the "measure three times, cut once" ramps will have issues. I don't think JPop has these games nearly as far along as some seem to feel. Best I can tell, he (at least the last couple of years) did not intend to actually manufacture anything himself (he's been sitting back waiting for a buyout it seems) so he figured the engineering issues would be other people's problems.

Ben, if JPop would just turn these over to Spooky (without charging a royalty...JPop has paid himself MORE than enough for his lackluster efforts) what do you think the total cost would be at this time to actually get these games finished and manufacture them? I'm asking for an educated "best guess" based on what we are actually seeing right now.

My uninformed opinion is about 700k if everyone was switched to Magic Girl.

#8780 8 years ago

"Students will eventually move into designing and building their own pinball playfields to be hand wired and completed, good enought to flip and take home. The basic skills of pinball design will leave the students feeling accomplished and knowledgable with a basic RUBRIC that will be used to measure performance, undersatanding and goals."

good enought to flip...

Jpoop is a stubborn noob.

#8781 8 years ago

"Deep Root Pinball" was John's purported investor.

http://www.octafinance.com/deeproot-pinball-just-had-published-form-d-regarding-6-00-million-fundraising/

Though the deal supposedly blew up, the company recently funded itself to the tune of $6MM. The point is, they do exist and do have money. Anyone know if the original deal is truly dead?

#8782 8 years ago
Quoted from doghouse:

http://www.octafinance.com/deeproot-pinball-just-had-published-form-d-regarding-6-00-million-fundraising/
Though the deal supposedly blew up, the company recently funded itself to the tune of $6MM. The point is, they do exist and do have money. Anyone know if the original deal is truly dead?

I'd love to know their reasons for taking a pass.

#8783 8 years ago

TigerLaw:

All "best possible scenario" guesses here:

8k to get a game built (7k BOM + 1k labor) * 150 games owed (possibly more AIW is ???) = $1.2 million

Backend payments on RAZA 4k * 125 = ($500,000)

So your 700k is a good starting point. But then you have to add a PM, programmer, audio/video development, plus overhead. Probably more like 1 million investment + 1 year to start shipping MG.

The real problem is going to be return on investment. (unless it's just a tax write off) Margins are going to be SLIM even on a 10k game with all the custom crap, so 2k profit per game you'd need to sell 500 more (at 10k???) just to recoup what you spent originally.

#8784 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

TigerLaw:
8k to get a game built (7k BOM + 1k labor) * 150 games owed (possibly more AIW is ???) = $1.2 million
Backend payments on RAZA 4k * 125 = ($500,000)
So your 700k is a good starting point. But then you have to add a PM, programmer, audio/video development, plus overhead. Probably more like 1 million investment + 1 year to start shipping MG.
The real problem is going to be return on investment. (unless it's just a tax write off) Margins are going to be SLIM even on a 10k game with all the custom crap, so 2k profit per game you'd need to sell 500 more (at 10k???) just to recoup what you spent originally.

Thanks for the honest assessment Ben.

From a pure numbers perspective, with the initial "capitalization" (I guess we can call it that) seemingly exhausted by John's personal salary and/or other self dealing actions I just don't see this as salvageable any longer.

At this moment John looks like a straight bozo/buffoon. Nobody with any level of competency or sophistication is going to take him seriously in the investment world, regardless of their affection towards pinball. Just my opinion of course.

I'm going to retire myself from this thread for a few days gang.

#8785 8 years ago
Quoted from doghouse:

Correction, "IS trying to fund itself". The Form D filing is an intent to sell securities to raise capital. In this case, 6 million. The terms of the funding are 1 year and currently no securities have been sold. Minimum buy-in is $25K (if you feel like investing).

You can find the Form D filing on the SEC website. Just do an EDGAR search for "Deeproot".

#8786 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The shooter rod is mounted at least 1" too high. (which is also why it almost hits the glass) No launch ramp, the ball is meant to rest on the PF because you can see the switch slot for it.
Be sure to sign up for Pinball School! These techniques and more can be yours for only $1895*
*bank transfer, personal check or Western Union only.

I think you are right on the switch slot. But after a second look I think the playfield is just sitting low without hangers attached. Hard to tell from the video aspect but the playfield angle seems to be off from the shooter rod angle. I suspect that once the lockdown bar receiver and hanger brackets are installed, it will line up.

#8787 8 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

I think you are right on the switch slot. But after a second look I think the playfield is just sitting low without hangers attached. Hard to tell from the video aspect but the playfield angle seems to be off from the shooter rod angle. I suspect that once the lockdown bar receiver and hanger brackets are installed, it will line up.

Good point. We don't know what the PF is resting on. The hangers will lift it up, and also push it back.

The cabinet edge, being at a higher angle in the back, is hopefully what made the glass closer to the shooting rod, not the rod's placement itself.

#8788 8 years ago
Quoted from doghouse:

There is a Pinsider named "deeproot"

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/deeproot

Same person?

#8789 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

TigerLaw:

let's say MG x26 games and RAZA x 124 games that's 150 games.

I've calculated the respective costs $16K and $10K each and come up with $1.65M (that's the number John would have collected if everyone paid in full)

let's assume Ben's numbers are correct $7K+ $1K to build each one. That's $8K then, another $1,300 per game to code.

Obviously MG has 1/5 the sales number but cost the same to code as any game. So game code (per game) would be like $1K for each RAZA and $5K per MG (small number runs don't make a lot of sense John).

<Wooly was coded and Predator are coded and they didn't spend any money on code or very little so I am not sure how accurate $200K for code is. Maybe John thought he could noodle through this with no budget like Skit-B did>

but let's assume BOM plus labor is $8K and code is another $1K that's $9K per pin (Cost to build and code. **Note: I'm rounding way down on code). ------------- Grand total outlay still to come 1.35M

John only had (total, not counting AIW money) total potential from 150 pins $1.65M

So if the math is to add up, at these numbers (and they might actually be less because some people have got refunds). John would have to spend (under) $300K for the last 3-4 years. If he is to have the $8-$9K reserve to build and ship these games.

Small runs are scary (stupid) if you figure it costs the same to code 16 games or 160 games or 1600 games, the small runs super crazy.

#8790 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'd love to know their reasons for taking a pass.

Pinside said mean things.

#8791 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Same person?

I don't believe it has been confirmed.

#8792 8 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

I don't believe it has been confirmed.

Pretty sure it is. Investor was in Texas, so is that account, and if you go back in the thread that's the same account that was sending cryptic messages to Kim, which in context look like investment related.

#8793 8 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

Correction, "IS trying to fund itself". The Form D filing is an intent to sell securities to raise capital. In this case, 6 million. The terms of the funding are 1 year and currently no securities have been sold. Minimum buy-in is $25K (if you feel like investing).
You can find the Form D filing on the SEC website. Just do an EDGAR search for "Deeproot".

http://deeprootfunds.com/

I worked with a company like this in Chicago. If it's the same type of thing, which it seems to be, it's really an investment group that has a pool of rich clients looking for high risk/high return investment opportunities. The place I worked with in chicago suggested funding a company I helped start in this way. The company in Chicago was brought up on charges. They had a really large group of investors though. IMO, dicey stuff if you ask me. Of course there's zero correlation between this group and the company in chicago. Or at least that I'm aware of.

#8794 8 years ago

I went back and looked for this video, is it posted on his blog or something?

#8795 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Pretty sure it is. Investor was in Texas, so is that account, and if you go back in the thread that's the same account that was sending cryptic messages to Kim, which in context look like investment related.

I'm aware of the situation, but there are also elements (such as the altered logo, the cryptic messages, etc) which either make it seem less-than-genuine, or as Chuck nicely put it "dicey stuff".

#8796 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

And a team of Sherpas, it will be like climbing Mt. Everest at this point, in the winter time.

#8797 8 years ago

Interesting.......

Deep Root is right down the road from me. Looks like these guys target "accredited investors" and one asset class they invest in is in the "distressed asset" category.

From their webpage

"The end result defines us: solid alternative investment debenture funds that are designed to keep pace with or outperform traditional investments without taking on unnecessary, unpredictable risk."

"Safety first"

Hmmm

As an "accredited investor" you are signing off that you have sufficient assets to risk and that you essentially know what you are getting into, these are private placements under Sec Reg D

Looks like the founders both worked at USAA prior. I wonder what their fees are?

#8798 8 years ago
Quoted from doghouse:

" Despite Robert J Mueller’s reporting disadvantages, Deeproot Pinball, Llc could benefit from this reporting. First, it helps potential customers feel more safe to deal with a firm that is well financed. The odds are higher that it will stay in the business. Second, this could attract other investors such as venture-capital firms, funds and angels. "

Angels?

#8799 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Same person?

Yes.

#8800 8 years ago

If you're an angel looking for a high risk / high return investment I can't see this being it. The high risk part is there, but the other half is missing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 176 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/176 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.