(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 161 of 491.
#8001 8 years ago

The money problems were probably clear to John more than a year ago when he stopped paying his programmer, and other vendors like GLM were getting stiffed. So he kept up the facade that everything was great, he was going to do his "reveals", we were a bunch of whiny customers who don't appreciate that art takes time, meanwhile he was living a lie.

#8002 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

FAST dodged a bullet.

Its all hypothetical but for him coding the machine even for free would have been a win. It would be a great way to show what they can do. Street cred would be high.

#8003 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

meanwhile he was living a lie.

You talking about John or Jenner?

#8004 8 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Its all hypothetical but for him coding the machine even for free would have been a win. It would be a great way to show what they can do. Street cred would be high.

Based on everything we've seen about how John operates, they wouldn't have been allowed to succeed. They would have been stifled and wasted months of time and opportunity costs.

#8005 8 years ago
Quoted from Nullpunkt:

I would actually be excitedly on-board with this. If nothing else, I know he would deliver.

I'd also be interested in some back glass type art, probably from MG more than RAZA.

8001 posts, and not a lot of fluff like Skit-B boob thread.

#8006 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

When is the last time anyone has seriously spoken to John, or got an email response? ...

Me.. 5 minutes ago, I told him to get on the blog and answer his customers question. John said he would, we shall see

#8007 8 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

That would be Mission, not FAST.

Either way, it's way too much work for anyone to be expected to do it for free.

Spending a weekend getting a game flipping for free is one thing, spending months of your life working with John is another.

#8008 8 years ago

To themselves, thinking that keeping it private gives them some sort of special privilege, but the reality is they have privileged access to something that is never going to happen.

#8009 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That would be Mission, not FAST.
Either way, it's way too much work for anyone to be expected to do it for free.
Spending a weekend getting a game flipping for free is one thing, spending months of your life working with John is another.

Correct. We wanted to work together to get things all set up. Then FAST was available to hire above and beyond that, same with Mission for full game programming.

Since no formal agreement was made, things stalled and we all moved on.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#8010 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Me.. 5 minutes ago, I told him to get on the blog and answer his customers question. John said he would, we shall see

Can you enlighten us with a little bit more of the conversation?

#8011 8 years ago

In reply to razorback (quoting does weird things on my phone when they are huge), we moved on from our initial effort to work together at the end of last year. The flurry of activity since then was the result of buyers who reached out to us to see if we could help. With their support and the desperation of the situation we thought we could give it another shot. Maybe this time John would be compelled to take action (shit or get off the pot!) and, with the support of buyers, maybe we could get things done.

Over and over again, when it got down to "getting real" with a proper arrangement and game plan, things would stall... Only to pick up again weeks later like it was all fresh and the whole cycle would repeat.

We didn't have much to lose other than time. Our hardware wasn't created for John or tailored for him in any way. So we weren't in the same boat as others who put up hard goods in good faith and were left hanging.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#8012 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

To themselves, thinking that keeping it private gives them some sort of special privilege, but the reality is they have privileged access to something that is never going to happen.

Oh so they really owe it to themselves to share everything with you in order to deal with reality of this project. Gotcha

#8013 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The thing is, what are the hints? Zombie Yeti artwork, and ... how many people have actually seen the game flip? Apparently a few Pinsiders, but they don't feel like sharing any impressions, let alone this mythical video.
Seriously, what do we have besides art? I'll help a group commission some original ZY prints if that's all you're looking for.

+1! After reading over all these software related posts you took the words out of my mouth.

#8014 8 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Oh so they really owe it to themselves to share everything with you in order to deal with reality of this project. Gotcha

No, more that they're fooling themselves that keeping it secret and staying in Popaduik's good graces is somehow worthwhile, versus helping the owners.

#8015 8 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

Can you enlighten us with a little bit more of the conversation?

I read Chris (cointaker) post on the blog and then snapped a screen shot of the post and emailed it to JPOP and told him he needed to get his ass onto the blog and talk to his owners and address questions. John emailed me back within 5 min and said "Ok!!"

The Blog post that Chris made deserves answers!

#8016 8 years ago

Lunch time

#8017 8 years ago

Maybe pdx is in line for one of those 3 prototypes. looks like the only person going to get a MG out of this is john and 2 of his closest bootlicks.

#8018 8 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Maybe pdx is in line for one of those 3 prototypes. looks like the only person going to get a MG out of this is john and 2 of his closest bootlicks.

Looks like PDX was pretty quick to down vote your post. It would be nice for him to actually post something of substance and not just a quick post to say "I played MG yesterday". He does seem to be very close to JPOP. It would be nice to hear an in depth reason for still believing in these projects and what exactly JPOP plans to do going forward.

#8019 8 years ago

What the hell guys. Projects bad enough but now its all about beating up the customers and how much they owe a bunch of people sitting on the sidelines. What a crap fest!

#8021 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Cointaker is probably in position to lose the most of anybody in the mess.

You can go on Cointakers website and order a RAZA CT edition. At least I could add it to my cart.

#8022 8 years ago

So what did Cointaker have to say?

#8023 8 years ago

There is a video of the MG playfield flipping, though it seems like a very old version of the game (video may be from a long time ago?)

https://magicgirldev.wordpress.com/2015/04/04/flipping-you-didnt-last-long-did-you-huh/

#8024 8 years ago

I read Chris (cointaker) post on the blog and then snapped a screen shot of the post and emailed it to JPOP and told him he needed to get his ass onto the blog and talk to his owners and address questions. John emailed me back within 5 min and said "Ok!!"

Sad that he isn't giving Chris the same courtesy responses.

#8025 8 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

Looks like PDX was pretty quick to down vote your post. It would be nice for him to actually post something of substance and not just a quick post to say "I played MG yesterday". He does seem to be very close to JPOP. It would be nice to hear an in depth reason for still believing in these projects and what exactly JPOP plans to do going forward.

He was on the Skit-B thread yesterday telling people that he saw right through the Kulek family BS back at EXPO in 2013 and immediately afterwards requested a refund...

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I met the mom expo 2013, the one where Predator never turned on.
She told me they were going to start production the following week.
Also not to worry the only thing that they had spent any of money on was a new couch.
On Monday I emailed asking for a refund.

Surely you can understand that he's too busy to answer silly little follow-up questions about JPop's MG prototype.

#8026 8 years ago

Aren't you all glad that John spent time and money for artwork on the KISS prototype now that stern made its announcement ?

#8027 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

No, more that they're fooling themselves that keeping it secret and staying in Popaduik's good graces is somehow worthwhile, versus helping the owners.

What info are you expecting? There is none.

It should be obvious from all the owners venting here there's no info shared with us so none trickles to Pinside. John cuts off communication with anyone who asks him a difficult question. That's it. There's no secret info you guys aren't aware of. The magic girl blog is public, you know everything we know...as sad as it is, that's all there is.

#8028 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Aren't you all glad that John spent time and money for artwork on the KISS prototype now that stern made its announcement ?

You know Kiss doesn't work for free.

#8029 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

You know Kiss doesn't work for free.

Ha!

#8030 8 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

There is a video of the MG playfield flipping, though it seems like a very old version of the game (video may be from a long time ago?)
https://magicgirldev.wordpress.com/2015/04/04/flipping-you-didnt-last-long-did-you-huh/

Technically there are flippers moving a ball on a whitewood, but the ramps are still made of paper.

#8031 8 years ago

Ok, even if the machines do get made, who is going to be on the other end of the line to fix whatever warranty issues these have? Geez john can't even communicate to his customers, before he gets them out the door! Scary! Someone almost needs to throw a hand grenade in to get his attention. WOW.

#8032 8 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

Ok, even if the machines do get made, who is going to be on the other end of the line to fix whatever warranty issues these have? Geez john can't even communicate to his customers, before he gets them out the door! Scary! Someone almost needs to throw a hand grenade in to get his attention. WOW.

I've had these types of concerns for a long time now, even before shit went sideways.

In hindsight, this entire venture was doomed from the day it was announced.

#8033 8 years ago

Is there really no way for owners to come in and do a hostile takeover on any of these projects? Seems like until there are goods to be delivered owners are investors and have some claim to what is physically and digitally there. Won't ease the pain of figuring out how to get them made, but it would at least end the circle jerk that is going on.

This was supposed to be the Holy Grail game of all and attracted a lot of people to see what was going to be shown. Now Camelot is in ruins and it seems like the ride will just spin forever. This isn't to poke fun or cause pain, but is there ever going to be a resolution?

#8034 8 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Is there really no way for owners to come in and do a hostile takeover on any of these projects?

Forced bankruptcy is as close as you would come.

#8035 8 years ago

I like what is written on JPops webpage below that video of the white wood.
"Quote"
You may notice the game music, sfx, effects are all “powerful”. That has been the guiding force in all of the design. Most powerful pinball made and a powerful score, effects, art, voice and pinball majesty. "Unquote"

The only thing I am sure of is that JPop has made a 'powerful' sad situation, and a lot of 'powerfully' frustrated customers. Whatever powerful magic John had, years ago, is long gone.

#8036 8 years ago

Quoted from desertT1:Is there really no way for owners to come in and do a hostile takeover on any of these projects? Seems like until there are goods to be delivered owners are investors and have some claim to what is physically and digitally there.

Quoted from RobT:

Forced bankruptcy is as close as you would come.

Yep, and it's probably not that close to what desertT1 suggested! The court could order a sale of Zidware's designs/art to generate cash. The money from that sale, plus any other cash that could be wrung out of Zidware, would be split up by the court among everyone that Zidware owes money to, based on standard criteria that probably don't favor the current "owners" much (it's conceivable that unpaid programmers and artists that worked on the designs/art might have a priority claim on particular assets, but hard to imagine the pre-order folks would). And whoever bought the IP would be unlikely to owe anything to the current "owners." So a forced asset sale in bankruptcy might be the best chance of Magic Girl, etc. ever being made, but might not do much for those that sent money to JPop.

#8037 8 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Is there really no way for owners to come in and do a hostile takeover on any of these projects?

You could always hire a Crow to break in, copy the hard drives and swap the router on the way out for ~$800.

-I'm not suggesting anyone do this -

#8038 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You could always hire a Crow to break in, copy the hard drives and swap the router on the way out for ~$800.

Or just sit in a car nearby, work a little wireless magic, take what you want, and drive away.

I'm also not suggesting anyone do this.

#8039 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm also not suggesting anyone do this.

Great minds scheme alike.

#8040 8 years ago

Or just show up as a group, kick the door in, and load everything you paid for onto a flatbed truck.

Totally suggesting you guys do this*.

*Not really. But you have to admit, it might be the only way anyone will see anything.

#8041 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Or just sit in a car nearby, work a little wireless magic, take what you want, and drive away.

John doesn't allow photography in his studio, and he won't let the public take photos of his backglasses at expo. Either he's hard wired to the internet, or if he is wireless he has 64-bit encryption installed on his router.

#8042 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

John doesn't allow photography in his studio, and he won't let the public take photos of his backglasses at expo. Either he's hard wired to the internet, or if he is wireless he has 64-bit encryption installed on his router.

I didn't say a grandma with an iPad would be able to do it.

#8043 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

What would you get out of this? The KISS slide show from MGC 2014 and some Magic Girl animations?

#8044 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I didn't say a grandma with an iPad would be able to do it.

There's nothing worth taking.

#8045 8 years ago

Ton's of digital artwork. Many, many revisions of said art.

#8046 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

What would you get out of this? The KISS slide show from MGC 2014 and some Magic Girl animations?

30 revisions of MG, RAZA, and AIW art, and 6 other pinball project websites HTML coding

#8047 8 years ago

Ninety-four thousand linear feet of pointless banners with words like "Wow" "Zap" and "Believe!"

#8048 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Ninety-four thousand linear feet of pointless banners with words like "Wow" "Zap" and "Believe!"

Ben, love you on this thread.

#8049 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

The money from that sale, plus any other cash that could be wrung out of Zidware, would be split up by the court among everyone that Zidware owes money to, based on standard criteria that probably don't favor the current "owners" much (it's conceivable that unpaid programmers and artists that worked on the designs/art might have a priority claim on particular assets, but hard to imagine the pre-order folks would). And whoever bought the IP would be unlikely to owe anything to the current "owners." So a forced asset sale in bankruptcy might be the best chance of Magic Girl, etc. ever being made, but might not do much for those that sent money to JPop.

The priority ranking of claims in bankruptcy might surprise you.

Unless those unpaid programmers and artists can establish a secured claim (e.g., mechanics lien for labor and materials, or judgment lien following a successful lawsuit), or they can establish a priority unsecured claim as W-2 employees owed back wages & benefits, then their claims would likely be classified as general unsecured claims, along with the claims of other 3rd-party trade vendors.

Section 507(a)(7) of the Bankruptcy Code actually gives a 7th priority to "allowed unsecured claims of individuals, to the extent of $̶1̶,̶8̶0̶0̶ $2,775 for each such individual, arising from the deposit, before the commencement of the case, of money in connection with the purchase, lease, or rental of property, or the purchase of services, for the personal, family, or household use of such individuals, that were not delivered or provided." [11 U.S.C. §507(a)(7)]

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title11/html/USCODE-2011-title11-chap5-subchapI-sec507.htm

The initial $1,800 dollar amount in the original Bankruptcy Code has been increased numerous times over the years to compensate for inflation, and it was subsequently increased to $2,775 in 2013.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013-02-21/html/2013-03998.htm

Pre-order customers who paid deposits would likely have their claims "bifurcated" (divided in two) into: (1) a priority unsecured claim of up to $2,775, and (2) a residual claim for the remainder, which would likely be classified as general unsecured. So the priority unsecured claim would likely be paid after all secured claims and some higher priority unsecured claims like administrative claims of lawyers/professionals in the case (Priority 2), and some wage & benefits claims of employees (Priorities 4 & 5), but before lower priority unsecured claims like taxes owed to governing bodies (Priority 8), and before general unsecured claims (e.g., trade vendors).

For a pre-order customer, this might be better than expected under the circumstances, or for a trade vendor, it might be worse than expected.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney. The above is just my personal opinion and should not be construed as legal advice. Always speak with an attorney for legal advice.

#8050 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

And lets not forget Lebowski Effect!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 161 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/161 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.